Karai 0 0%
Shredder 1 5.56%
Bebop&Rocksteady 8 44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2017, 10:16 PM   #1
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Favorite villains micro

My first is Old Hob and second is Alopex. Krang almost tied with Alopex for second but gets third. What's your list look like for favs? What got your vote for first?
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:44 PM   #2
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Krang's, obviously. The ol "That explains SO much". Especially in regards to Quanin.

Though, I don't care much for the art style. And I highly question how Krang, who's devoted his life to protecting his people, choses to think about his youth because someone tried to help him, after being told that one of them had died.

I feel kind of bad for the Stone Soldier that wanted to help him (and I'm still calling bull on Krang being able to draw blood when he killed him).

Now, I can't bring myself to read Hob's mini; it actually upsets me a little bit, especially in regards to the fact that he was thrown out at the expense of a child. And yet he never talks about that time, about the one human who had good intentions for him.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:18 PM   #3
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Yeah Krang's mini is very good. The portion with him fighting/taming the lizard creature thing was cool and I enjoyed that part a lot. Almost placed second for me.The last few speech bubbles on the bottom of the last page of Alopex story are the best! And that's the part that got Alopex second.
Hob's mini is heartbreaking indeed. I placed Hob and Alopex as my top two because their stories gave me the biggest emotional reaction while reading. I like stories that can elicit feelings from me, even if uncomfortable ones like with Hob.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:23 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

Shredder, then Baxter, then Karai.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:36 PM   #5
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Yeah Krang's mini is very good. The portion with him fighting/taming the lizard creature thing was cool and I enjoyed that part a lot.
Yeah, that was a pretty great bit.

For a story I like though, there's a lot I want to pick apart.

Like, I assume that when Krang was in his Bratty Teen period of life, he was neither fit (by Utrom standards) nor outdoorsman...ly. So, I question how he came to pull together a survival strategy so quickly while knowing how dangerous Morbus was. And what was his plan if they excursion did land safely? How do Traxus and Quanin know each other? What did Traxus do to be placed on Morbus? How was he able to take over? Where is Krang's mother in all of this???
Old 06-06-2017, 12:17 AM   #6
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I have to agree shredder hands down is the best villain micro, maybe the best micro of this universe period.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:30 AM   #7
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Yeah the cover with Shredder sitting in the chair with skulls around is fantastic. Also I wanted to know more about that one demon that talks to Shredder about souls. He seems like a scene-stealer imho. At least on that one page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Yeah, that was a pretty great bit.

For a story I like though, there's a lot I want to pick apart.

Like, I assume that when Krang was in his Bratty Teen period of life, he was neither fit (by Utrom standards) nor outdoorsman...ly. So, I question how he came to pull together a survival strategy so quickly while knowing how dangerous Morbus was. And what was his plan if they excursion did land safely? How do Traxus and Quanin know each other? What did Traxus do to be placed on Morbus? How was he able to take over? Where is Krang's mother in all of this???
Way more questions than I have answers. I sorta picture it as a 'thought of death and being the lone survivor' giving Krang strength scenario. I think Krang's plan was to battle and prove himself a warrior to Quanin no matter what went down after landing.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:49 AM   #8
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeah, that was pretty much his entire plan.
I just think there's still a lot missing from his history.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:36 AM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Haven't read these in a few years so I don't remember them too well, but I remember liking Bebop/Rocksteady the most and the Shredder one.

The Shredder micro is still weird, because Shredder goes to some kind of afterlife where he kills his older (?) self, and then spirit or whatever that was tells him it'll happen again? I don't remember it exactly, but I still don't know how that fits into the grand scheme of things with what happened as IDW progressed.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:38 AM   #10
neatoman
Emperor

Most are pretty great, hard to choose.

Unlike the others I'm pretty sure Hun's is mandatory to read because it really not clear in the main series how he regained his muscle and started working for the Shredder. It also helps that it's pretty good at showing what an asshole he is and I like the framing of an AA meeting.

I think the Bebop and Rocksteady one might have been biggest surprise for me. I was ready to hate it, I didn't like Bebop/Rocksteady in the slightest before going in and still don't like them in general, but actually really liked it. It was action packed, well drawn and most of all it actually found a way to make total garbage characters like Bebop and Rocksteady enjoyable. It gave them an understandable and kind of sympathetic backstory instead of just having them be a pair of random morons for mutation, it made you feel like they could potentially be an actual threat and finally it actually found a way to make their stupidity come across as funny, rather than give me the vibe of spoiled children.

The Baxter one is pretty good too. Really gives us insight into what makes this guy tick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:43 AM   #11
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
the Hob story still gets to me ever single time i read it.
truly heartbreaking!

it better fleshes out his motivations in the early issues and helps build on his hatred of humans.
especially after what Baxter does to him in issue 12.

i absolutely loved the twist at the end of the Shredder Micro!
plus i'm always a sucker for Dan Duncan's art.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:48 AM   #12
snake
Disgusting

Hun, by far. Such an awesome issue.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #13
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

They're all so good, but I gotta give it to Bebop and Rocksteady. Love that issue.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #14
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
i like how Slash's story gets fleshed out across April's Micro-series as well as issues 15 & 16 in the ongoing.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #15
Donnie
Something from the Past

Definitely Baxter Stockman. I loved that issue, the writing was top-notch. Andy Kuhn's and Erik Burnham's styles complimented each other well.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:45 PM   #16
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
Definitely Baxter Stockman. I loved that issue, the writing was top-notch. Andy Kuhn's and Erik Burnham's styles complimented each other well.
I agree. Loved the flashbacks with his dad teaching him to be ruthless. And the flyborgs were so cool.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:51 PM   #17
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Yeah those flashbacks are great. I love a good origin story. It felt somewhat cinematic to me as well. Hard to explain, but the art and dialogue just nailed it. So I'm a little surprised B&R have the most votes. Maybe I shouldn't underestimate those guys. Their issue was good for sure. I really like one of the last few pages with Karai kicking Rocksteady to the ground and putting her sword in his mouth.