The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 12-11-2015, 06:14 PM   #1521
NYShell
Stone Warrior

Found an Easter egg

Idk if anyone already posted this, but haven't checked this forum in a while. When April researches about the crime in new York she has Baxter stockman's name on the board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151211_183100.jpg (88.2 KB, 66 views)

** LOOKING FOR 2016 SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES EXCLUSIVE TMNT STATUES (LEO, MIKE, RAPH) **
NYShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:16 PM   #1522
Powder
So tired of this place

That's not an Easter Egg, he was just cut from the movie (other than the flashback of her father, that is).

Good eye all the same, though.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #1523
Sumac
Banned

Finally, had opportunity to watch Extreme Gross Hulking Monsters.

Well, everything went as expected. It was typical modern Bay action movie, with "excess" written all over it. Excessive designs and excessive action scenes.

Design of the Turtles was horrible. Though it is not a secret for anyone, but I hoped that maybe in motion they will look somewhat more tolerable...but no. They still looked like deformed crossbreeds between gorillas and turtles. Their faces were especially ugly.

I am not of those who think that Turtles should be cute and cuddly, like their 87 series selves, but making them THAT gross doesn't sit well with me. They barely look like Turtles and more like some random monsters. It's especially egregious, considering that Out of the Shadows (game, not sequel), had perfect designs, which seamlessly managed to make Turtles look uncanny without going to much into Toxic Crusaders territory.

While the Turtles looked just ugly, Shredder looked downright hilarious. He is like distilled demonstration of Bay's thought process : "Guy called Shredder and has armor with blades...hm... We need to make him even more Shredder and to do that we'll add MOAR BLADES!!"

This Shredder has "EXTREME EXCESS" written all over him in shiny chrome letters with blades, which has blades, which has even more blades. Every time, when he was involved in action scene, I was nearly doubling from laughter, because it looked so ridiculous. Usually I am not questioning practicality of the designs in the movies like this, because their main purpose is to look cool, but Shredder doesn't look cool - he looks like a guy who watched too much Bayformers and made his own Bayformer-like armor from various metal scraps, kitchen utensils and adorned it with more knives than would be considered healthy or practical. PD!Shredder looks like a hulking clumsy robotic...something. Like Bayformers, his design is overly busy and it's hard to have a coherent idea of what he looks like, aside from him having lots of blades. They only think that was vaguely cool about him was his ability to shoot and recall his knives.

Splinter looked ugly, but at least he was clearly a rat.

Amount of happy coincidences in the plot was just...eugh...I am not entirely against idea of Turtles being April's pets. It's not the most outrageous change in their origin. But "revelation" happened to fast and was more in the realm of "WTF?", rather than "WHOA!!". Besides it was piled with other coincidences, like April's father working with Sachs... Such things are usually normal for comic books, where everyone are brothers, sisters, parents, children, pupils or masters of each other in some (usually) less, then possible manner, but still, it left quite a sour aftertaste.

Moment when Splinter compared April to deity, that saved Turtles was cringeworthy. Generally I would have called April in this movie somewhat of a Mary Sue, except she wasn't teenager for which I am thoroughly grateful. I am less then thrilled that she was played by Megan Fox, but it's not like it was the MAIN PROBLEM of the movie.

Shredder's plan to poison NYC was just...I dunno...it felt boring and badly thought out. Instead of creating army of mutants they wanted to poison city to become very rich? What...?!

Anyhow, movie had its positive moments. Turtles personalities were spot on. I liked Donatello the most (I usually like Don the most anyway, so no surprise here). Mike was less obnoxious and idiotic than his Nick version.

Action scenes were impressive, though, at times it was hard to tell what's going on. The final battle with Shredder was nice, save for the appearance of the ol'tin-head.

Overall, this movie was just another generic summer blockbuster, with not much personality of its own. One of the many. When it comes to the movie about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I think, I want to expect something more interesting. Or at least something more thought out and with less EXTREME going on. But I guess, Bay gonna Bay.

Now waiting for the sequel...to see it in a couple of years later, again.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:05 PM   #1524
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Blooming heck. Watched this last night with a buddy who had'nt seen it since it came out. It was unbeleivably short. I think the most time in the film was devoted to the escape from the castle. Shredder was only out of his armour for about two scenes, very little screen-time and then he was all swiss army knife vender/Megatron cosplayer.

Pluses I suppose was the Turtles banter with one another, Raph's admission of love when they were on the collapsing debris, and Michelangelo's crush on April (for obvious reasons), and I did enjoy the last fight the most. Everything else went by too quickly for me to properly notice. Did'nt like how the Foot looked either, barely acted anything like ninjas, something the new trailer at least looks to remedy.

Designs for the Turtles were not complimentary to the screen. Felt like the camera added ten pounds just on the CGI (and yes I'm reminded of the Monica Geller joke)

**1/2. Dumb film, with too much acceleration in pacing, but had fun interactions
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:19 PM   #1525
Etsyturtle2
Banned

. The first part of this sums it up well.
Etsyturtle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:39 PM   #1526
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etsyturtle2 View Post

The first part of this sums it up well.
Fixed the video for you.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:17 AM   #1527
Etsyturtle2
Banned

Thanks.

Etsyturtle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #1528
bushido
Stone Warrior

Already posted or not?

Old 02-28-2016, 08:56 AM   #1529
letscook89
Foot Soldier

First time i watch this so thanks !
letscook89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:38 PM   #1530
sethmartin
Stone Warrior

That's what I do for a living. Didn't work on turtles though
Old 03-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #1531
TMNTInsighter
Banned

This is a copy of my review I wrote somewhere else 4 months ago. It's a bit long/detailed so try and bare with me if you want:

"I finally found a copy of the 2014 TMNT movie at my local library and saw it for free. That's the only way I was ever going to see it!...

Anywho, I was expecting the worst and my expectations were met...well, later. For one, there was no way that I could've either went into a movie theatre or just sat down on my living room couch and walked away from this movie feeling satisfied with what I had just seen. I knew this movie was doomed the moment the list of the names of the people involved in the making of this movie were revealed. I knew it had as much chance as Billy Cundiff's kick did against New England. I knew it didn't have a chance!

The movie actually started out all right until those turtles showed up and that's a disaster! Despite Megan Fox having April keep spouting nonsense (customary to a lot of Michael Bay involved characters) and being very deserving of her Razzie Award, she and the rest of the human cast were actually all right. From their opening scene, it looked as though Saki and Karai had the potential to be really good villains in the movie--and they probably would have been if the movie wasn't so disjointed! The movie had a really weird attitude towards Will Arnett's Vernon Fenwick. It kept setting himself up as someone who may have strong feelings for April yet the movie kept taking a dump on the character up to the bitter end. Where was this movies focus on that point? And finally, William Fichtner (who we know CAN act!) started off as a decent and level-headed guy, a bit mysterious/suspicious, and seemed to have an interesting history with regards to his relationship with Shredder once we find out more about their history (which of course never got the development it deserved). On the other hand, it's almost as if that Eric Sachs disappears completely once the turtles arrived as he was then equipped with some of the movies most terrible lines and an outrageous characterization...who also was stuck with a very pedistrian and uninteresting scheme.
The turtles themselves are another story. I'm not going to be amongst those casual-minded viewers and complain that they didn't have as much desired screentime as others because for one, I didn't like them and the movie (and its human characters) got worse with them; but also there remains one simple fact: humans are cheap! The sooner modern day viewers accept this, the better! Now, I admit that the sunglasses on Raph, Leo's Japanese-esque armor, and the Japanese markings on the backs of their shells were irresitable, but the rest of the designs for the characters were god-awful! Splinters design though totally took the cake, let's leave it at that!
Raph was the best of the CGI creatures, character-wise if you really took a look under the microscope. He starts off on the wrong foot with April and wants almost nothing to do with her or anyone. By the end of the movie though, he's almost like her most dedicated bodyguard even being the first one to jump from the collapsing skyscraper to save her. Still, this movie had a lot of unbearably overdone scenes such as when yours truly, in almost all TMNT universes had to show the softness beneath his hardened exterior during said skyscraper collapsing scene! Urgh! ...
And that's saying something when we've got the abomination such as Mikey to deal with! I will go to my grave never being able to understand how much people liked this creep! Of course, like Bumblebee, a lot of people like him due to the demographics he was aimed at but like Bumblebee, his character was clumsy (and quite creepy) in all the wrong ways! Noel Fisher was one ugly turtle both inside and out with this guy. His humor may be good for a first viewing because it's such a mess that it's unpredictable and you can't help but to either burst out laughing or react in accordance with the characters' presented tone. Like Raph's skyscraper confession though, when that grating, anger-inducing final scene comes up you'd just wish Mikey would for once drop his unnatractive creep act and just be serious for once. I for one, just wanted to jump through the screen and shoot Mikey myself! He is reason enough for me to wait until my local library has the next movie.
And poor Leo and Don get stuck with hardly any level of character development for us to get really invested in.

Now this movie had something good and unique going for it until it was never brought up again which I'll get into soon. People have brought up how disappointed they are that there's none of that classic Shredder and Splinter connection but all the other pieces to connect the Turtles, Splinter, April, etc. together were done well enough. To tell a new story with regards to a long running franchise like this is hard. Every story is like a puzzle in which all the pieces have to come together and in this case some look familiar but some are new. All that matters is that they connect at the end in the hopes of forming the big picture. Part of the picture I was excited about was the turtles finally getting to meet their human master. I thought they did a good job setting this up but it did not get the exploration or development it deserved. 32 years ago in TMNT lore, and throughout the history of the franchise it must be said, a boy (I'll call him Zachary, I don't know why) dropped the Turtles down a sewer drain either by clumsiness or lost them down the drain when he was knocked over by someone trying to save a pedestrian's life. After that incident, "Zachary" was never seen or heard from again and was long forgotten by both characters, readers, viewers, and fans. THE END! ...Not this time! That Splinter and the turtles would take the time after meeting April to show their gratitude and honor was a thrilling moment but that's all we got out of that revelation and that's a disappointment seeing as how more could have been done with that.

One last thing I have to mention is the dynamics of this story which were a real mess, the one thing in particular that stands out is them being bulletproof. Now, we both know that the mutagen/ooze central to the franchise is alien. But it's ooze, there's only so much it can do! For the turtles to be able to go out and do what they do, they need to be able to overcome their coldblooded nature. If the mutagen flowing in their bloodstream is able to provide them a certain level of protection from the elements, I can buy that! If it gives them enough enhanced strength to have a chance in a physical confrontation, I can buy that (though 40-inch biceps I'm having trouble)! If their shells are bulletproof, I can buy that to a certain degree--it would have to depend on the gun used and how many shots are gotten off! You can not tell me that this would make their entire physical beings totally bulletproof, it's cheating! And it gets dumb when you make the Foot soldiers keep firing throughout well after this cheat has been established. Also, everyone keeps referring to the highlight of the movie being the snow mountain chase and fight sequence. I have to buck the crowd a little bit, not only because it was too outrageous, but the fact that it probably is the best part of this movie should tell you just how terrible this movie is. Especially when you compare it to the rest of the movies (III being a possible exception) and the animated series'. I knew this movie was doomed when the likes of Bay, Liebsman, etc. were involved, not just because of their film resumes but they would bring all to the table that the TMNT franchise is not about. This franchise has not lasted 31 years because of over-the-top and muscle-brained action, bad characterizations, lovesick creeps, and "spectacle" over character. It's lasted because of fully developed and well established characters (which is where most of the fun comes from), genuinely emotional stories, inventive situations (and villains), strong connections, etc. In fact, if you were to look in the Turtles dictionary and you looked up all the positive qualities and characteristics that are associated with the turtles and have made them last as long as they have, this movie had none (or nearly none) of those!

Fan or no fan, you have to admit that that was really a dreadful movie. Although the best thing I can say about this movie is that it's over, it gets a merciful 2/10 from me."
TMNTInsighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:58 AM   #1532
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTInsighter View Post
Now this movie had something good and unique going for it until it was never brought up again which I'll get into soon. People have brought up how disappointed they are that there's none of that classic Shredder and Splinter connection but all the other pieces to connect the Turtles, Splinter, April, etc. together were done well enough. To tell a new story with regards to a long running franchise like this is hard. Every story is like a puzzle in which all the pieces have to come together and in this case some look familiar but some are new. All that matters is that they connect at the end in the hopes of forming the big picture. Part of the picture I was excited about was the turtles finally getting to meet their human master. I thought they did a good job setting this up but it did not get the exploration or development it deserved. 32 years ago in TMNT lore, and throughout the history of the franchise it must be said, a boy (I'll call him Zachary, I don't know why) dropped the Turtles down a sewer drain either by clumsiness or lost them down the drain when he was knocked over by someone trying to save a pedestrian's life. After that incident, "Zachary" was never seen or heard from again and was long forgotten by both characters, readers, viewers, and fans. THE END! ...Not this time! That Splinter and the turtles would take the time after meeting April to show their gratitude and honor was a thrilling moment but that's all we got out of that revelation and that's a disappointment seeing as how more could have been done with that.
If it came across as an interesting new take on the story I...well as a traditionalist I wouldn't be fine but I'd at least accept it better but we know for a fact that the producers and writers just flat out hated the established origin(s) for TMNT and the first mandate they gave themselves was to change it. This was their back up after their idea to make them aliens was universally panned and it certainly comes across that way.

You're right though. The concept of the turtles meeting the person who cared for them as pets is an interesting one that they could have explored and what that means to them and April. It could have injected some "heart" into the movie but I don't think they cared about that so much as simply making their plot flow easier. Rather than developing a relationship with April over the course of the movie she now has an instant bond with them.

If you like the concept of the turtles meeting their former owner it has been done in the Mirage comics. In the Turtle Soup anthology book there's a neat short story called Fifteen Years Later in which the boy (Chet) who dropped the turtles down encounters them.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #1533
TMNTInsighter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
If it came across as an interesting new take on the story I...well as a traditionalist I wouldn't be fine but I'd at least accept it better but we know for a fact that the producers and writers just flat out hated the established origin(s) for TMNT and the first mandate they gave themselves was to change it. This was their back up after their idea to make them aliens was universally panned and it certainly comes across that way.

If you like the concept of the turtles meeting their former owner it has been done in the Mirage comics. In the Turtle Soup anthology book there's a neat short story called Fifteen Years Later in which the boy (Chet) who dropped the turtles down encounters them.
Maybe they'll have a chance to fit in their original alien idea thanks to the introduction of the alien Krang...
However, like I said, I'm willing to wait and see this for free via my local library--I wasn't fooled the first time and I'm not gonna be fooled now. Unlike a lot of people nowadays, I'm very patient and I don't want to contribute to these filmmakers' salaries.
BTW, I read up on the anthology book and Chet, I wouldn't necessarily call his story an encounter.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #1534
Powder
So tired of this place

Considering an encounter is to meet someone unexpectedly, it most definitely is one, however lacking it is.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:19 PM   #1535
TMNTInsighter
Banned

While I'm at it, who else thinks "Shellshocked" is the worst theme song to a movie since R Kelly's "Gotham City"? Both made my ears bleed.
The fact that quite a few people like this song elsewhere (as well as the Bayformers and Bayturtles movies, some of which I've compared to "B&R" a lot) makes me think that if a movie like "Batman and Robin" were released today, it would at least reach cult classic status.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:24 PM   #1536
Powder
So tired of this place

Oh yeah, while the film may be a somewhat divisive matter here (even though there are more haters than lovers), I think that song has been almost universally panned by our members.

I even like Juicy J! But that is one bad song...

Old 03-30-2016, 07:45 PM   #1537
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

God yes. Generic rap topics and try to shoehorn in a few keywords/stupid references that are hardly references at all? Wow, way to not even try, to an insulting level.

The hook was the only kinda decent part of that... I'd found a video on YouTube where someone cut out all the garbage and just kept that, it was far more tolerable. I'm sad it seems to be gone.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:54 PM   #1538
swing_kinker
Thug

Woopsie wrong thread.x
swing_kinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 05:02 PM   #1539
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etsyturtle2 View Post
. The first part of this sums it up well.
3 things
1. Holy ****, this kid's balls went straight back up

2. New shot game, take a shot every time he says 'frikin'

3. 0:48 serves you right for insulting our turtles

(EDIT: a 4th one. "how do turtles learn martial arts from a book?" how does Sonic absorb floating coins that appear out of nowhere?)
Old 06-25-2016, 06:22 PM   #1540
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Since the general discussion thread is locked (way to go for those responsible ), I'll post my question here.

Did Judith Hoag's cameo make the cut?
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews