The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #61
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddinpop View Post
I understand completely.. and I agree with you about NM.. different people like different things.. doesn't make you less of a fan.. doesn't make you a "casual". Maybe some questions will be answered in the next month or two.. if not then.. the movie is literally right around the corner anyway. Honestly.. I can't wait until it is over with.. I just want it to come out so this craziness will end lol.
I think a big part of what's rubbing some people the wrong way with this this movie - and I could just be speaking for myself here - is that I have no idea what kind of tone they're trying to go for, and because of that, I don't know how to assess what they're giving us.

We're getting realistic modern-day military Foot... but a Turtle Van that does not exactly scream stealth.

We get "realistic" Turtle faces... but outfits that wouldn't work in a real-life combat situation.

We're being promised Raid-style martial arts sequences... but then we get the clip where Raph meets Humvee, which IMO is quite cartoonish.

I just don't understand whether they're going for a lighter, more "camp" approach, or a more serious, gritty take - and based on that, it's really hard to evaluate what we've seen thus far when we don't know where the bar's supposed to be set. It gives us no real context for evaluation.

I don't mind whether the tone of the movie is camp or gritty - it still has the potential to be good or bad whichever they go for - I just want some consistency. *shrugs* Just my two cents.
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:49 PM   #62
Powder
Endless Screw

Brilliant post, that sums up a lot of it for me perfectly. Lots of hypocrisy behind the creative decisions made, no consistency.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:46 AM   #63
Candy Kappa
Passive-Aggressive Snob

I would be really disappointed if we get fights and fight choreography more akin to Wuxia movies.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:28 AM   #64
Puddinpop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
I think a big part of what's rubbing some people the wrong way with this this movie - and I could just be speaking for myself here - is that I have no idea what kind of tone they're trying to go for, and because of that, I don't know how to assess what they're giving us.
Yea.. but it's hard to tell what tone and context we'll be getting when we've only seen 90 seconds. So I could understand that but I don't know why it would rub anyone the wrong way.. It's like some people want to know everything without actually seeing it. Not you, but some are just being totally unreasonable and unrealistic with their expectations of the people involved. I think they expect the film makers to actually be superhero's. Would they ever ask any other production team to come out and beg for forgiveness and answer every little question and calm every little qualm before release? It's insanity around here After we see the film we'll be able to assess it more and understand what they were going for. Some people will dislike it and some will love it.. At this point I don't know what else to say. I'm honestly drained.

Quote:
We're getting realistic modern-day military Foot... but a Turtle Van that does not exactly scream stealth.
I think they look like "Foot Soldiers". Half ninja/covert assassins/mercenaries half soldier. I think it's a nice update. I love that they seem to have different ranks of foot.. Maybe some not human or robotic? I'm not sure yet.. The turtle van.. I haven't seen it in action yet... I would love it if they went the Nick version and have them inside with no windows looking at monitors. In the first film they were in the streets out in the open all the time.. especially at the end of the film. SOTO had them dancing at an Ice concert.. So I really think it's all in how they go about it.

Quote:
We get "realistic" Turtle faces... but outfits that wouldn't work in a real-life combat situation.
But we haven't really seen any combat sequences yet.. and if they do it right it could work.. Donnie is the only one that might have an issue but in the trailer he looked like he was movin just fine to me. I'm not sure if they'll be wearing their gear threw the entire film either. I don't think everything has to be practical in a movie like this. A lot of films do this.. have realistic graphics but incorporate things that wouldn't be "practical" in a real life setting. The Raccoon in Guardians looks very realistic.. but carries a friggin machine gun that is bigger than he is . We can pick apart a million films thinking like this. I don't think I should treat this film any differently. I don't fault anyone that expects everything to be logical and or practical in a TMNT film but I think some take it a little to far.

Quote:
We're being promised Raid-style martial arts sequences... but then we get the clip where Raph meets Humvee, which IMO is quite cartoonish.
I think that clip kicks ass though lol. Raph is a pissed off brut. He has a ton of aggression. He's a 300+ pound badass traveling at a high rate of speed down a mountain and decided to just muscle into the side of the Humvee like a boss. Imo it fits Raph's persona. No it didn't go rolling down the mountain or smash to pieces like some people say.. the Humvee was on a hill when he hit it and he smashes the door in exploding the windows out. As for the fights.. when I saw the small clip of Donnie and Mikey fighting in the Lair I thought it looked like it was gonna be a good fight scene. I highly doubt they would not include some badass fight sequences. Liebesman pushed the date back to make sure the fight scenes were done right. They hired some seriously talented martial artist and stunt doubles and I'm pretty sure they'll be utilized. If you've seen the videos in the "TMNT stunts" thread it is pretty impressive. They don't seem to be playing games lol. I have faith.

Quote:
I just don't understand whether they're going for a lighter, more "camp" approach, or a more serious, gritty take - and based on that, it's really hard to evaluate what we've seen thus far when we don't know where the bar's supposed to be set. It gives us no real context for evaluation.
Again, it is very hard to evaluate a film when you've only seen 90 seconds of it. I don't find any reason to see that as a negative though.. This is why I just want the damn thing to come out already lol. It's like the longer we wait the more rambunctious and pessimistic some fans get it seems.. What do you mean about not knowing where the bar is set? With Avengers and other superhero films I think the bar is set pretty high. The first film set the bar for the franchise in my opinion.. But this is a different world.. they didn't want to do anything that has already been done before. And I try not to make comparisons to other films when making a final judgment. For me it's like, looking at someone else's car and saying.. my car sucks bc that one is nicer. It ruins the fun of it. If that makes any sense lol. But tone and context.. these are things that we'll have a better picture of very, very soon.. It looks to me like a more gritty take. The joke at the end gives me hope that their signature personalities remain intact. That is very important to me. More so than having Raid style fights.

Quote:
I don't mind whether the tone of the movie is camp or gritty - it still has the potential to be good or bad whichever they go for - I just want some consistency. *shrugs* Just my two cents.
No I agree 100%. I hope that it isn't all over the place. I want a solid consistent film. I have faith that we will get one. I just.. want it to figgin get here already.. I enjoy speculating about it and having discussion "when it's people like you" but I am tired of having questions.. I want answers. It's been long enough. I hope these next two months don't draaaaag

Last edited by Puddinpop; 06-02-2014 at 02:25 AM.
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:19 AM   #65
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddinpop View Post
Yea.. but it's hard to tell what tone and context we'll be getting when we've only seen 90 seconds. So I could understand that but I don't know why it would rub anyone the wrong way.. It's like some people want to know everything without actually seeing it. Not you, but some are just being totally unreasonable and unrealistic with their expectations of the people involved. I think they expect the film makers to actually be superhero's. Would they ever ask any other production team to come out and beg for forgiveness and answer every little question and calm every little qualm before release? It's insanity around here After we see the film we'll be able to assess it more and understand what they were going for. Some people will dislike it and some will love it.. At this point I don't know what else to say. I'm honestly drained.
I think part of the problem is not just that we've only seen 90 seconds of the film thus far, but that the 90 seconds they've chosen to show us haven't really been very overwhelming - or likely to allay doubts (speaking purely for myself here). I don't expect the powers behind this to crawl on their bellies through broken glass to make up for the Blue Door script, but when we're getting a Turtles movie with a troubled production history that has a lot - a LOT - of changes in it, understandably it's going to make some people skittish and I don't know that a trailer with most of the talking being done by Fichtner is really the best way to do damage control.

At the end of the day, that's what was needed for this movie to avoid the levels of pessimism that are currently being levelled at it - a good PR campaign, decent posters, some character spots, fun promos and something that lets the doubters know that even if the Turtles look different, they're still the same guys we know and love... to me, that would've made a big difference.

I kind of look at it this way - if it were a company selling a product (which in a way, it kind of is, but follow me here) - when a company gets bad PR over a product, they generally do some type of campaign to minimise brand damage. Whether it's sneakers, a soft-drink, a children's toy... advertisers know that it's their job to make us want their product. I don't understand why they're not trying to win over some of the people who have doubts - it makes me feel like they don't care whether I see it or not.

Which is not to say that I imagine that Bay, Liebsman and co are sitting in their gilded Hollywood tower somewhere, sipping distilled nerd tears like a fine vintage wine. I don't feel that the powers behind this movie "owe" me anything - because they don't. It's their money, their movie, they can do whatever they want with it.

Quote:
But we haven't really seen any combat sequences yet.. and if they do it right it could work.. Donnie is the only one that might have an issue but in the trailer he looked like he was movin just fine to me. I'm not sure if they'll be wearing their gear threw the entire film either. I don't think everything has to be practical in a movie like this.
Hey, I definitely agree with you - we haven't seen any combat sequences. I definitely don't need everything to be practical either. And while I wouldn't want them to spoil a bunch of the major fight scenes, it would've been nice to have seen something. I'm more of a "show, don't tell" kind of person - I don't want to be told that these Turtles are like nothing we've ever seen before and that the fight scenes are great: I want to be shown that.

Like another poster (I can't remember who) said, if they'd done a marketing campaign along the lines of "The Foot Wants You To Join!"... there could've been leaked Foot training videos (which could've shown us some action to get us excited without actually spoiling anything), posters/flyers, real urban underground kind of stuff... and then they could've chimed in with some silhouetted Turtles posters or maybe some grainy footage of a street-fight between the Turtles and some of the foot - nothing high-quality, just something to build a bit of anticipation. There are so many ideas for things that they could have done, I just don't understand why they're sitting on their hands.

Quote:
What do you mean about not knowing where the bar is set? With Avengers and other superhero films I think the bar is set pretty high. The first film set the bar for the franchise in my opinion.. But this is a different world.. they didn't want to do anything that has already been done before. And I try not to make comparisons to other films when making a final judgment. For me it's like, looking at someone else's car and saying.. my car sucks bc that one is nicer. It ruins the fun of it. If that makes any sense lol.
Sorry, I might not have phrased that part well - I meant where they're setting the bar in terms of the tone that they want to achieve for the movie.

Quote:
But tone and context.. these are things that we'll have a better picture of very, very soon.. It looks to me like a more gritty take. The joke at the end gives me hope that their signature personalities remain intact. That is very important to me. More so than having Raid style fights.
Having decent characterisation is definitely a major thing to me, and will ultimately contribute to what makes or breaks the movie for me. As I've said before, the new faces creep me out - but if their personalities sell it, I could definitely get over the shock and maybe it wouldn't be as much of an issue for me.

I think another thing that's making it hard for the faces to be accepted is that we've seen so little of them - it's a really big change and it's kind of hard to get used to. Again, this is where a trailer with more Turtles (rather than Fichtner and Fox) in it, would've been really helpful.

Quote:
No I agree 100%. I hope that it isn't all over the place. I want a solid consistent film. I have faith that we will get one. I just.. want it to figgin get here already.. I enjoy speculating about it and having discussion "when it's people like you" but I am tired of having questions.. I want answers. It's been long enough. I hope these next two months don't draaaaag
I'm with you - I want it to be a good movie. Really really really. And for the people who are excited - I envy you, I do. And I don't want to take that away from anybody, at all. I wish I could feel the same - I just don't. Maybe I just need different things to get excited about.

And I am very tired of waiting for it to come out also - it seems like it's been foreeeever... and I'm an instant-gratification kind of person so this wait is killing me! But yeah, calm discussions are good. We should have more of them.
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kevin eastman