The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 05-22-2015, 11:43 PM   #1
LeotheLateBloomer
Mad Scientist

Your views on the co-creators

Do you guys have any pros and cons with Kevin or Peter? Anything you wish they wish they'd embrace, what they see the TMNT franchise as, etc. What are some things that you both like and dislike about their views on the TMNT?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:29 AM   #2
Powder
Salami Origami

I think I speak for most fans when I say Kevin is far too easy going & Pete is far too conservative.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:39 AM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Kevin is not too interesting a writer, his solo work like the annuals IDW releases and some of his old stuff is pretty bad. His writing style is like an 80's action movie, its just guns blazing and characters making quips without any real reason for anything to be happening.

PL's stuff tends to be too sci-fi based, and a lot of the Volume 4 stuff is too bloated or uninteresting.

I don't think either of them were ever known for their storytelling.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:07 AM   #4
The Turtle Terminator
Stone Warrior

They're not Stan Lee or Jack Kirby so I don't care.

In all seriousness however, I choose Pete over Kevin since PL cares more about how his creations are treated whilst Kevin doesn't really give a **** about how they're treated, so long as it sells (Next mutation).
Old 05-23-2015, 01:07 AM   #5
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I think I speak for most fans when I say Kevin is far too easy going & Pete is far too conservative.
ya If Eastman saw a shiny turd with the turtles on them it would get his seal of approval.

I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:58 AM   #6
neatoman
Emperor

Let me put it this way:

When it comes to their old solo work, I don't like The Unmentionables but I find Dome Doom to be charming.

When it comes to their recent solo work, I don't like the IDW annuals and I have no comment on volume 4 (haven't read it yet).

When it comes to their seperate supervisor roles, the IDW series is my favourite TMNT incarnation hands down and the 4Kids series is my favourite TMNT cartoon.

When it comes to their collaborations, volume 1 is pretty solid as a whole with exception to some confusing aspects.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:46 AM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Ye, pretty much. Kinda funny how they were able to work together for years. I guess opposites do attract after all.

I don't think much of them one way or the other, anyway. I'm just thankful to them for creating the Turtles, my favorite franchise. If there's a heaven or something like that, they better go there. If creating the Turtles isn't deserving of going to heaven than what the hell is?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:24 AM   #8
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

I think they're both awesome for creating the tmnt, and they produced some really good stories and art together in the early days.

Now? Kevin is a really nice and easygoing guy, who writes a decent story now and then. Peter... has his issues, that's all I'll say.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:51 AM   #9
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I was shocked when Peter told me to my face he resented TMNT for being such a big thing especially into the defining cartoon that shapes my and so many millions of views of the TMNT and why we love it so. The only thing he liked out of what made the turtles into a household name that he liked was the Technodrome and Baxter Stockman turned into a mutant fly. Why withhold all the comics that did not debut in the black and white comic and why not incorporate elements into the characters as they are in the comics I questioned for years. He just has a strict view of wanting to see his product a certain way and it got far away from his ability to do so. His wanting to remove TMNT from his lives is understandable and he has a genuine love for his creation so I respect that.

Kevin, met him as well and I like his shinier more people person personality. He is more open and glad his product makes us happy and change it to the way people want to see it which draws me more to him than Peter. Would he approve of anything? No, if it has potential of keeping his product with life which means it could excite fans AND make him a buck yes I can see that easily.

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

PL probably would have prefered TMNT just being his thing. Kevin treats TMNT like Batman/Spiderman, etc where multiple writers can have fun with it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #11
pennydreadful
trash

I don't actually have any views on them outside of "They created something awesome and I'm grateful for it".

I personally like to keep my distance from creators of properties I like because sometimes if they're douchey, it can lessen my enjoyment. That's just me though. *shrugs*

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:10 AM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
PL probably would have prefered TMNT just being his thing. Kevin treats TMNT like Batman/Spiderman, etc where multiple writers can have fun with it.
Understandable. He never thought it'd become as big as it did when he drew the first issue. And what became big wasn't the version he created but something completely different and toned down for kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
I don't actually have any views on them outside of "They created something awesome and I'm grateful for it".

I personally like to keep my distance from creators of properties I like because sometimes if they're douchey, it can lessen my enjoyment. That's just me though. *shrugs*
Apparently Kevin Eastman is considered to be pretty nice and chill, whilst Laird is considered unfriendly and douchy by some people.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #13
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I've only briefly met Kevin, but I have written to Peter, and they both seem pretty easygoing just so long as you have respect for the TMNT in general and not get into a bickering war over which incarnation is superior.

YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/Jephael
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jephael
Twitter: https://twitter.com/JeOughton

Sadly I no longer frequent this community, but please give it a shot. You never know who you might connect with. I will forever cherish the fond memories I have of the fandom as it was in its heyday. Peace and love to you all - Later, dudes!!!
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:05 PM   #14
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

views is just about the same as everyone else

Kevin is waay too lax. He'll promote, and endorse anything TMNT unfortunately. You don't want the creator too be so passive like that, but i'm sure he's just happy at how big it has become. And Peter needs things a certain way, i really respect that. He holds his stuff to the highest standard, but there isn't much leeway there so he's got his downside too. Nobodies perfect. I think this ying/yang thing they have going on is why it worked so well together for as long as it did.
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #15
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

They're Firestorm. Apart from each other, their product is pretty lacking. Together, they create awesome things.

TMNT Volume 1 #1-12?

Return to New York?

Shades of Gray and City at War?

Bodycount?

Volume 4?
Old 05-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #16
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
They're Firestorm. Apart from each other, their product is pretty lacking. Together, they create awesome things.

TMNT Volume 1 #1-12?

Return to New York?

Bodycount?

Volume 4?
My thoughts exactly...aside from the awesome and surprisingly accurate Firestorm analogy.

Quote:
He's right....because he speaks for me.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:10 PM   #17
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
My thoughts exactly...aside from the awesome and surprisingly accurate Firestorm analogy.
Why thank you! I think I said it better on a previous thread, but I was too lazy to go dig it up...
Old 05-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #18
Cipher
I can't even with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Jim Lawson gets no love for saving the dialogue here. There's a reason those issues are such an enormous step up, and one third of it is him.

So, ah, actually, Jim Lawson's TMNT is best TMNT.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #19
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Jim Lawson gets no love for saving the dialogue here. There's a reason those issues are such an enormous step up, and one third of it is him.

So, ah, actually, Jim Lawson's TMNT is best TMNT.
Jim Lawson is the last member of the Mirage Holy Trinity... but not a co-creator. I do love what he did for Volume 1, though.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:37 PM   #20
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I always preferred Ryan Brown since he created Rat King and Leatherhead not to mention his other media contributions. Do not forget Dan Berger still works part-time for Peter thus having the longest association with Mirage post-TMNT.

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kevin eastman, peter laird