The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-05-2018, 03:49 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Why was one of the Punk Frogs named Rasputin?

As you recall, the Punk Frogs were named after Attila, Napoleon, Genghis and... Rasputin. Which one of these things is not like the others? Rasputin doesn't fit with the rest. He wasn't a conqueror nor a warmongerer. What happened here? Did the writers run out of historic conquerors and warmongers to name the Punk Frogs after? Did they end the meeting with "well, obviously this being a kids cartoon, we can't just name the remaining frog after Hitler or even Stalin, so does anyone got a name in mind for the remaining frog?"?

Seems so strange. Why not name one after Alexander the Great? Hannibal? Julius Caeser?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I think maybe its because popular culture depicts Alexander and Caesar as "good" guys while Rasputin, being Russian, would fit as a villanous name during a time when The Soviet Union and The Cold War were still active.

Would've been funnier though in my opinion (albeit extremely controversial, especially in Europe where turtles was already under scrutiny) , if the frogs were named after Hitler's generals, with Shredder being the Fuhrer.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I think maybe its because popular culture depicts Alexander and Caesar as "good" guys while Rasputin, being Russian, would fit as a villanous name during a time when The Soviet Union and The Cold War were still active.
Wait, that is a pretty good point, actually. The Punk Frogs' debut episode is from season 2, meaning it came out in 1988. Right close to the end of the Cold War.

Quote:
Would've been funnier though, if the frogs were named after Hitler's generals, with Shredder being the Fuhrer.
No way that episode would have seen the light of the day if they were named after SS officers . Also, if you think the UK censored the Turtles a lot for Europe already all because of Michelangelo's nunchuks and the word "ninja", imagine if the Punk Frogs had been named after nazis
Old 03-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #4
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

You know its kinda shame that the writers didn't know much about Japanese history because there was a huge missed opportunity for one of the toads to be named Nobunaga
Old 03-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
You know its kinda shame that the writers didn't know much about Japanese history because there was a huge missed opportunity for one of the toads to be named Nobunaga
They probably knew as much as laird and Eastman did, tbh. No one really knew enough or bothered to research Japanese history and culture well enough in the series. Also, every single Japanese character in the series asides from Shredder had a stereotypical accent. And the writers made Japanese food look gross. Donatello saying things like "Forget it. Not even on pizza!". Man, hard to believe sushi was once viewed as this bizarre raw fish thing the Japanese ate. Nowadays, pretty much everyone outside Japan has tried sushi at least once. There are sushi places all over Europe, for example, even if many/most aren't run by Japanese people. Sushi is as almost as common as pizza and hamburgers these days in the West. Not really viewed as exotic anymore.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #6
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
And the writers made Japanese food look gross.
Thats a shame because Japanese cuisine has some of my favorite dishes and the fact the writers tried to make it look as gross as possible kinda bums me out.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Thats a shame because Japanese cuisine has some of my favorite dishes and the fact the writers tried to make it look as gross as possible kinda bums me out.
Tbh, back then ti didn't bother me. Probably because back then sushi did sound pretty gross to most people who had not tried it. "Raw fish" doesn't really sound appealing, I suppose. But most people who've tried sushi say they like it. Speaking of which, I'm et to try sushi, which I suppose is rather odd these days.

I guess nowadays the show would not have gotten away with depicting sushi as being gross. It'd have caught fire for being "racist" or something.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:51 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

It was 1987, sushi wasn't "cool" in the U.S. yet. TMNT pre-dated the anime fad by about 10 years. All the Japanese stuff people love today was still relatively unknown to the general public in 1987.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It was 1987, sushi wasn't "cool" in the U.S. yet. TMNT pre-dated the anime fad by about 10 years. All the Japanese stuff people love today was still relatively unknown to the general public in 1987.
Yep, true. back then, the Japanese and Asian culture things people were familiar with were with martial arts movies from the 70s and such.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:45 PM   #10
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Actually sushi's popularity pretty much started during the 80s so the whole "sushi is gross thing" is sort weird on the writer's part, in fact I remember in the Breakfest Club one of the characters ate sushi for lunch
http://www.history.com/news/hungry-h...shi-in-america
Old 03-06-2018, 01:38 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Actually sushi's popularity pretty much started during the 80s so the whole "sushi is gross thing" is sort weird on the writer's part, in fact I remember in the Breakfest Club one of the characters ate sushi for lunch
http://www.history.com/news/hungry-h...shi-in-america
I didn't know that. Also, I don't remember sushi being eaten in Breakfast Club even though I've watched that movie about 3 times. Sometimes one misses subtle things. I guess.

I think sushi places didn't really become a thing in the European continent until the current century.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #12
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Augustus

Quote:

Would've been funnier though in my opinion (albeit extremely controversial, especially in Europe where turtles was already under scrutiny) , if the frogs were named after Hitler's generals, with Shredder being the Fuhrer.
How about Augustus?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
How about Augustus?
If they wanted to name one of the Frogs after a former Roman emperor or senator with a bad reputation then they should have picked Caligula or Nero, I guess.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #14
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Montezuma sounds like a good choice too. And also, this got me to thinking that maybe the extra Punk Frogs seen in the Nick series have names like these. Frogtoadzuma?
Old 09-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #15
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
If they wanted to name one of the Frogs after a former Roman emperor or senator with a bad reputation then they should have picked Caligula or Nero, I guess.
Caligula and Nero weren't really great conquerors though.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #16
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

This kinda goes along the lines of the writers not knowing a lot about japanese culture but its ironic that the Punk Frogs aren't ninjas
Spoiler:
Yeah I know its toads not frogs but still missed opportunity
Old 09-04-2018, 01:31 PM   #17
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Of name him after a Russian pre-1917 emperor, like Ivan or Peter.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:00 PM   #18
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Wasn't Rasputin considered insane or something? And he was so feared people were in denial that he was actually died? Or is that someone else? I mean even Shredder called him Rasputin the Mad Frog.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:30 PM   #19
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Rasputin was a real piece of work. And he was likely considered "mad" because he had syphilis.

We might not think he looked that great, but the man had some GAME.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:46 AM   #20
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Rasputin is a name in Russian that means the "Debotched one" Since the punk frogs were meant to be alternates of the Turtles under Shredder's control in their first outing, Rasputin was meant to be Donatello's alternate. Rasputin in history was a mystical adviser and became involved in the Czar's court because of his prophetic visions and healing abilities.

One of the last prophecies was of the fall of Tsar Nicolas II and his family, which came true 15 months after his murder at the hands of Count Yusupov.

One of the myths surrounding Rasputin was that he was a secret puppet master controlling the Tsar and the Tsarina from the shadows. And another myth said he supposedly had an affair with the Tsarina.