The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-12-2021, 06:05 AM   #1
puirnaut
Random Punk

Give a second life to Venus de Milo

As one of the many fans of Venus, I ask Kevin Eastman and the entire IDW team to bring Venus ?? Milo back to the turtle universe. I know Kevin likes this character. He personally spoke about it in an interview. And according to him, I quote "I think we could do a pretty cool adventure with her." So now in the age of equality and the emergence of bright strong, deep and interesting female characters, this is the best opportunity for her return. Sophie also said that she would like to work with her and she has some interesting ideas about her.
I'm not sure Kevin will see this message. But on behalf of all fans of Venus, I ask you to give her a second life. She doesn't deserve the treatment she's being subjected to by her opponents. I'm not sure if the petition will help, but if there is such a petition, I would be happy to sign it. #kevineastman #venusdemilo #Secondlife

[IMG][/IMG]
puirnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:29 AM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:33 AM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

IDW is using Jennika so Venus ship has sailed.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:35 AM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

I like Venus but she'd be pretty redundant in IDW at this point. Maybe elsewhere, in a future version.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:16 AM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I'd probably do Venus with Turtle Kirby's backstory (vague and piecemeal as it was) from the rejected 4th movie concepts. Basically, she's a mutant turtle from alternate dimension (maybe one with twisted versions of familiar TMNT characters) but she has all of her Shinobi magical powers from the Next Mutation. Because she's a teenager, she's something of a klutz and a borderline "screwup" with them, despite her potential (very much akin to Mirage Renet in her original appearances). Along those lines, I'd probably try to figure out some connection between Venus and Renet and see what kind of storytelling possibilities.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:24 AM   #6
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Hell yeah, Bring Venus de milo as the fifth turtle back again.

Since Jennika is clearly a female raph and venus a female Leo, perhaps next show can bring back a female donatello and then a female mikey and we'll have a complete female TMNT. #readyforthenewnew#girlpower #itsourtime #parishilton
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:42 AM   #7
puirnaut
Random Punk

I don't want to argue with people who say that now IDW has Jennika. In my opinion, this is insulting to both female characters. Equating or comparing them is bad. They are completely different and the presence of a Satellite does not interfere with the appearance of Venus. No one is against Lita. And does not say something like "why do we need Lita if we have Jennika". Accordingly, these people are against Venus specifically. They can also be understood, the origin of Venus has raised many questions. But the character is not to blame. The origin of Venus in the IDW universe can be made different. Even more so now after the appearance of mutation and jumps in time.
More than 20 years have passed. And it is unpleasant to lose this uncut diamond just because of a preconceived opinion. After all, with a competent introduction with an interesting story, this character will become a real favorite of the public.
Kevin in his interview focused on the fact that people do not like Venus, although he likes Venus. So, Kevin, there are quite a few of us who are really waiting for the return of Venus. Those who believe that she, like no other, deserves a second chance and deserves the love of the public.
The opponents of Venus can laugh at me. I don't care. These posts are primarily for Kevin and the IDW team. Of course, I would like to see more posts with support in this topic, I'm sure someone from IDW will definitely see this topic, for example Sophie or Tom. Just don't be silent. In the latest releases, we see many references and hints from the turtle universes of different times, as well as hints of the Next mutation. People are starting to wake up and after the appearance of Jennika, fans are increasingly wondering when Venus will return.
#kevineastman #venusdemilo #Secondlife
Old 01-12-2021, 10:12 AM   #8
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by puirnaut View Post
People are starting to wake up
I don't know.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:19 AM   #9
Lord Nightwalker
Stone Warrior

Honestly, any character can be well written if the authors really has some story telling chops. Venus should have been schooled in a Chinese art, in my opinion. Shaolin or Wu Shu. Chin na or Wing Chun. I didn't hate Venus. I hated they way she was written.
Lord Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:23 PM   #10
srmff
Foot Soldier

I personally have no desire to see a return of Venus. The addition of Venus to the main cast reminded me of the Simpsons episode "The Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show." The "Itchy and Scratchy Show" decides to make an attempt to inject fresh energy into its world with the addition of a new character, Poochie, to keep the attention of the audience. As Lisa put it, "Adding a new character is often a desperate attempt to boost low ratings." When I first saw the episode, I straight away thought of the addition of Scrappy-Doo to the Scooby-Doo show (I never had any time for Scrappy-Doo).
srmff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:31 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

New characters to established casts almost never catch on. I can only think of rare cases where a new character added to a franchise become as popular as the original cast.

There's a reason the Scrappy Doo or Poochy "meme" exists, because it's honestly true.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:51 PM   #12
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I agree. Even back then, the whole point about the hate was that no one really wanted a fifth turtle, it was considered an unnecessary addition. And the boobs: they were seen as weird as the nipples on the Batman suit in Batman Forever.
Personally, I wouldn't mind a reintroduction of the character as long as it is well written AND it is not a permanent member of the turtles family. The turtles received a Japanese education from Splinter, it would be interesting to see a new turtle with a Chinese culture and a different view of the world.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:08 PM   #13
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
They are completely different and the presence of a Satellite does not interfere with the appearance of Venus. No one is against Lita. And does not say something like "why do we need Lita if we have Jennika". Accordingly, these people are against Venus specifically.

These posts are primarily for Kevin and the IDW team. Of course, I would like to see more posts with support in this topic, I'm sure someone from IDW will definitely see this topic, for example Sophie or Tom.
They're not really that different, though. They're both girl turtles who came into the turtles life & started besting all their enemies & being emotionally in-tune with everyone around them. Just missing the mystical Chinese angle. Also, I'm against Lita. I'm not against Venus specifically, I love Venus. That doesn't mean she'd fit in everywhere. I love blueberries but I wouldn't put them in a taco. Don't speak for us, homiiiie.

& Kevin doesn't come here, he won't see this. Tom & Sophie only lurk the comic section, so they'll probably miss this, too.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #14
puirnaut
Random Punk

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmff View Post
I personally have no desire to see a return of Venus. The addition of Venus to the main cast reminded me of the Simpsons episode "The Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show." The "Itchy and Scratchy Show" decides to make an attempt to inject fresh energy into its world with the addition of a new character, Poochie, to keep the attention of the audience. As Lisa put it, "Adding a new character is often a desperate attempt to boost low ratings." When I first saw the episode, I straight away thought of the addition of Scrappy-Doo to the Scooby-Doo show (I never had any time for Scrappy-Doo).
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
New characters to established casts almost never catch on. I can only think of rare cases where a new character added to a franchise become as popular as the original cast.

There's a reason the Scrappy Doo or Poochy "meme" exists, because it's honestly true.
I understand your point of view. But this is easy to parry. About the show "Itchy and Scratchy Show". The whole world of this show revolves around these two characters. And the appearance of Poochie destroys this idyll. However, if you remember the show "Tom and Jerry", then they have the character Spike the dog. And in some episodes, he is very well in harmony with the main characters and the world of the series.
About Scrappy-Doo I think a good example of your argument. I would cite the example of Harley Quinn in response. The character who was invented for the animated series of the 90s is now one of the most popular female characters in comics, animated series and films. She was able to become not only a full-fledged character of the DC universe, but also was able to become quite an independent hero, remember the animated series Harley Quinn, as well as she has her own series of comics. Although you know that very well.

I did not mean to say that your point of view is not correct and your examples are not successful. No, that's not what I meant. I wanted to show that for each case example, someone else will be able to pick up a different example to prove their point. Therefore, this path initially leads nowhere.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:48 PM   #15
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

It seemed appropriate...
Old 01-13-2021, 12:58 PM   #16
srmff
Foot Soldier

Quote:
I understand your point of view. But this is easy to parry. About the show "Itchy and Scratchy Show". The whole world of this show revolves around these two characters. And the appearance of Poochie destroys this idyll. However, if you remember the show "Tom and Jerry", then they have the character Spike the dog. And in some episodes, he is very well in harmony with the main characters and the world of the series.
About Scrappy-Doo I think a good example of your argument. I would cite the example of Harley Quinn in response. The character who was invented for the animated series of the 90s is now one of the most popular female characters in comics, animated series and films. She was able to become not only a full-fledged character of the DC universe, but also was able to become quite an independent hero, remember the animated series Harley Quinn, as well as she has her own series of comics. Although you know that very well.

I did not mean to say that your point of view is not correct and your examples are not successful. No, that's not what I meant. I wanted to show that for each case example, someone else will be able to pick up a different example to prove their point. Therefore, this path initially leads nowhere.
That's exactly it though. It's my point of view. There is no right or wrong. My primary issue with Venus is that I wouldn't like her to be equal in importance to the show as Leo, Donnie, Raph and Mikey. I wouldn't want her in every episode as a main character. I might be able to put up with seeing Venus on screen again in a new capacity but I definitely don't want her as a main character. I don't mind having female mutants but a female turtle just irks me. It probably partly has to do with people automatically shipping her with the turtles as a result. I was not a fan of Venus's costume design either. Harley Quinn is an antagonist rather than a protagonist. I prefer versions of Batman where he's working alone rather than with the Boy Wonder or Batgirl.
srmff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:17 PM   #17
puirnaut
Random Punk

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
They're not really that different, though. They're both girl turtles who came into the turtles life & started besting all their enemies & being emotionally in-tune with everyone around them. Just missing the mystical Chinese angle. Also, I'm against Lita. I'm not against Venus specifically, I love Venus. That doesn't mean she'd fit in everywhere. I love blueberries but I wouldn't put them in a taco. Don't speak for us, homiiiie.

& Kevin doesn't come here, he won't see this. Tom & Sophie only lurk the comic section, so they'll probably miss this, too.
I would say from the point of view of their origin, they are completely different. Their history of becoming part of the turtle family is also different. I do not argue there are moments that are similar. But I don't want to argue about it, especially since I don't like it when these characters are equated. But I agree with you, I would like to see more of the disclosure of her mystical abilities.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:31 PM   #18
puirnaut
Random Punk

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I agree. Even back then, the whole point about the hate was that no one really wanted a fifth turtle, it was considered an unnecessary addition. And the boobs: they were seen as weird as the nipples on the Batman suit in Batman Forever.
Personally, I wouldn't mind a reintroduction of the character as long as it is well written AND it is not a permanent member of the turtles family. The turtles received a Japanese education from Splinter, it would be interesting to see a new turtle with a Chinese culture and a different view of the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmff View Post
That's exactly it though. It's my point of view. There is no right or wrong. My primary issue with Venus is that I wouldn't like her to be equal in importance to the show as Leo, Donnie, Raph and Mikey. I wouldn't want her in every episode as a main character. I might be able to put up with seeing Venus on screen again in a new capacity but I definitely don't want her as a main character. I don't mind having female mutants but a female turtle just irks me. It probably partly has to do with people automatically shipping her with the turtles as a result. I was not a fan of Venus's costume design either. Harley Quinn is an antagonist rather than a protagonist. I prefer versions of Batman where he's working alone rather than with the Boy Wonder or Batgirl.
As for the costume design, it's probably a matter of taste. If you think about Saban's other works of the same Power Rangers, this was probably their approach. If you remember the opponents of the monster Rangers-female characters, then basically all of them had tits. Now the time is different and the view of such things has changed. When I watched this show back then, I didn't think about why Venus has tits. Probably because the breasts were added to other characters in other TV series or cartoons, where the female characters were not people, but were mutants or monsters.

At the expense of Venus taking a leading position. I want her to become a part of the turtle world again, of course she can't displace the main four it's already clear and it's certainly not necessary.
Maybe I'm offended to realize that Venus was so harshly met, although it seemed to me then an interesting innovation. I'm not talking about any romantic directions of the character, I mean in general. Aside from her background, I like what they put into her. The origin was far-fetched I agree. But that is why it would be possible to give her a new origin and the rest of the features of her character to reveal in more detail and more interesting. It's just that Jennika wasn't so well received. I also like this character, but I would not want to forget about Venus at all. I think now everything would be different and Venus would be met much warmer.

Last edited by puirnaut; 01-13-2021 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:37 PM   #19
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I've never had any problem with the design of the costume of Venus and I think it was a good thing she had female features: she's an anthropomorphic animal after all. The ponytail-like bandana is also a great design idea. Venus looks way more interesting than Jennika to me.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:44 PM   #20
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

I remember a few years back I wrote something similar. Basically, revamping Venus entirely not just ability-wise, but animal-based too. Needless to say, it would just result in an original character.

I think Venus gets a bad wrap, as does most of Next Mutation, for being a product of its time. The effects and setup definitely don't hold up, but a lot of the concepts do. (I'd love to see Bonesteel again.) For her to succeed, I feel you need to address the following:
  • Her origin, and as a result, her relation to the Turtles. (sibling, friend, love-interest?)
  • If utilizing a different style of martial arts, address it. Make her unique (not stupidly calling her a "shinobi").
  • Make her stand out from the other Turtles.
  • Arguably the biggest thing, if Saban owns the show rights instead of Viacom, you need to buy it to use her or the other characters. Then again, you can always loosely use them. (I don't know the copyright battle off my head; feel free to correct me.)

I don't know if her being a main character will work without criticism, but a recurring character definitely. Venus should be used at some point, or any Next Mutation character deserves a revamp.

Tags
venus, venus de milo