The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 04-07-2005, 09:30 AM   #1021
Barkworm
Super Moderator

First pics from "Scratch! Viewtiful Joe"!
Also check this out. Interesting.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:44 PM   #1022
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Allright, this is looking kickass now. Vutiful Joe was made for the DS. I'm adding that and Castlevania to my "to buy" list. 2D is no where dead yet thankfully.

Do you know any details on weither it'll have multiplayer yet?
Old 04-08-2005, 12:23 AM   #1023
Barkworm
Super Moderator

No it won't but there will be a Smash Bros.-like fighting game for GameCube and PSP. It's called "Viewtiful Joe VFX Battle". You can check out the first pics here.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:28 AM   #1024
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Link is broken, but either way I'll buy it. The concept sound like kickass fun.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:32 AM   #1025
Barkworm
Super Moderator

Huh? It works fine for me, maybe you have to copy and paste the URL.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:53 AM   #1026
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Ah, that did it. Thanks

HOLY SH*T That looks good. Sold.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #1027
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

VJ Scratch could be fun... I'll have to see exactaly how Capcom uses the features though. I'm not buying DS games unless they actually find a way to use the system, otherwise I might as well get the GBA version.

I heard that the DS tunneling software won't work with every wireless system... and that Nintendo's even using multiple cards in the DS to try to prevent tunneling... any word on if the software's fully working yet? I'd be fun to have a deathmatch against some of you guys . Now I've just gotta get a WiFi card installed, and shell out for a base station.

Also, Rev won't be using touch screens... Iwata's mentioned that in a few interviews. It'd just be too expensive to put a color LCD and a touch panel onto every controler, and it just woulden't work. With the DS, you're looking at the screen, or it's at least in your feild of vision, so you can see what you're doing on it. It's too expensive, it won't work well, and it's just not going to happen.

Now, gyration controlers... that's possible. One controler for each hand, that can connect together. ( Link to the Patent. Hehe... ) Yup, the Bongos. The copyright was filed months after they came out, and shows them being able to disconnect in the middle, which we all know they don't. I could see the next controlers connecting to the console with RF, and each other with Bluetooth, and including a 'bridge' to hook them up together for more 'standard' games. Infact, the copyright has every Gamecube button accounted for, the only thing missing is the joysticks. This isn't really my idea.... I've borrowed plenty from those other forums. I just kinda squished them together though. This would also mean the handles have to be pretty meaty to grab onto as well, which I know a lot of people complained about with the GCN controller .

About a month 'til E3... =\

I was looking at the DS release list on planet gamecube just now ( http://planetgamecube.com/dsreleases.cfm ), and... Polarium and Pac Pix are comming out this month. :-O. Polarioum comes out right after my next payday (Yoshi's gonna have to wait), and Pac Pix comes out right before another payday. I love you Nintendo and Namco . lol.

So, now that we know Animal Crossing and Mario Kart are going to be online, I'm betting Pokemon finally will be too . Pokemon XD on the cube could be their last 'regular' Pokemon RPG. I could see it making use of the GCN-GBA cable to trade to the handheld games too... but so help me this had better be a decent game.

And the mayhem that's gonna come from ACO... Peoples trees getting chopped down everywhere, random villiagers leaving 'cause some guest hit them with the bug net too much... people waiting for your Nooks to open just to raid all the good items..... Man, this is gonna be so much fun .

Last edited by Kid Icarus; 04-09-2005 at 11:49 PM. Reason: added more, added link to the patent
Kid Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 03:53 PM   #1028
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwgtrunks
And the mayhem that's gonna come from ACO... Peoples trees getting chopped down everywhere, random villiagers leaving 'cause some guest hit them with the bug net too much... people waiting for your Nooks to open just to raid all the good items..... Man, this is gonna be so much fun .
Dude, you've got me hyped now. *sharpens axe*
Old 04-10-2005, 08:10 PM   #1029
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Oh, I'm so trashing everyones villiage on here. Then I'm gonna put up crappy design posters everywhere, plant trees too close to peoples houses, and dig holes everywhere I can. Bwahahaha.

animal crossing just got competitive: see who can cause as much damage to a villiage faster.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:41 PM   #1030
Peanut
Second Gear

I'm not letting any of you in my village now! It's just not happening. It'll be destroyed!
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:44 PM   #1031
Super Moderator

I'm going to make a ghetto. That way, no one can leave, and no one wants to come in.
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:44 PM   #1032
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

I'm betting you won't have a choice Peanut >.

I'd liberate your people Ai, by releasing a street smart blend of urban politics that really can connect with the people. Yo.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:28 PM   #1033
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Anyone have/getting one of these
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-b8-70-ghq.html

Im asking for one for my birthday I hope I get it! Then I can save up to buy a bigger memory stick ^_^
Old 04-11-2005, 05:48 PM   #1034
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Yeah, I got one of those Hong Kong GBA units but it sucks Donkey nuts. I think I'll be ebaying one of those suckers since it plays MPEG 4 without conversion. DOn't care about the music features though (hugs ipod).

Techinacally you can get video on to a PSP, but it's a pain in the ass and takes conversion to get around Sony's security. Hell, they'll redo the firmware eventually to block whatever people come up with anyway. With Play Yan, I can pirate anything I want and watch it on my backlit DS screens. Besides, I have waaaay too many SD cards lying around.

Vote yes for Play Yan, the only way to pirate movies.

PSP Does Not Sell Out

April 08, 2005

by: Ryan Olsen

Only sells half of total first shipment.
Sony Computer Entertainment America issued a press release stating that they sold over 500,000 units in the first two days generating around $150 million dollars in sales. But if you do the math, $150 million divided by $250 for each PSP you get 600,000 systems in the first week. While the president and chief executive officer, Kaz Hirai, remained optimistic concluding "In only two weeks, PSP is having an immediate impact across the entire industry as consumers are clearly voting it the product of the year in 2005.".

In the press release didn't it directly say the initial shipment was a total sell out. The release does touch on it by stating "PSP sales were achieved during a traditionally slower non-holiday season launch, and during a period when many retailers were closed for Easter."

This will come as a disappointment to Korean and European gamers who saw their launches pushed back due to the shortages of units elsewhere.

Remember to stick with PSP Advanced for more as it breaks.

source: Playstation.com

Door Jesus, I guess they're blaming him for dying on Easter Sunday and making it a holiday thus causing PSP not to get as much selling time for stores closing early.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:15 PM   #1035
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

More news

EA Snags Another License

April 11, 2005

by: Larry McCormick

Like NCAA football? Then better hope you like EA's renditions of it.
Not too long after snagging the official NFL license, EA has secured another football coup. This time the publishing giant with a penchant for throwing money around to secure exclusive properties has snagged the exclusive rights to make NCAA football titles. EA has exclusive rights to the property including teams, schools, mascots, etc. for six years, with the first title, NCAA Football 2006 falling under the agreement set to be published in June of 2006.

"When we began our analysis of the videogame landscape, it became apparent that EA SPORTS was best positioned from a marketing and development perspective to maximize the sales opportunities for college football," said Pat Battle, CEO of The Collegiate Licensing Company.

"Electronic Arts has been a tremendous partner, and we are thrilled that the EA SPORTS team has renewed its commitment to the college market. We look forward to seeing how EA will continue to grow its NCAA Football franchise through innovative game play, unique marketing programs and its dedicated sales force."

"EA SPORTS is currently our top non-apparel licensee," said Mike Low, Director of Licensing at the University of Notre Dame. "Fans love the effort they put into making the stadium, the traditions, mascots and the whole game environment so realistic."

"Our NCAA football franchise is a key element in our EA SPORTS brand lineup and we are pleased to have secured the NCAA license," said Jeff Karp, Group Vice President of Marketing for Electronic Arts. "There is an unrivaled loyalty our fans have for the game, and this agreement with CLC allows EA to continue to deliver to fans the best, most innovative college football experience now and for years to come."

EA really has football locked up. The company holds the exclusive rights to the NFL, NCAA and ESPN licenses.

source: EA Press Release

Well, that was the last one. Damn it. So much for the sports genre, hello the EA genre.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:22 PM   #1036
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Wow Sony hates Jesus...or maybe kids didnt have enough Easter money to buy the PSP
Old 04-11-2005, 10:43 PM   #1037
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

The PSP thing's to be expected.

I can walk into any store in town, and see at LEAST ten of them, and tons of copys of games.

With the DS? I was lucky to see Sprung, let alone a unit. Yes, Sony launched with more units, and yes, they launched durring a slow time for the market.

Still, in the same time frame DS sold more, and Sony only has themselves to blame for launching when they did.

And, as many people speculated, the price point was too high to attract the usual handheld buyer. The only person that I know that bought one is a diehard Sony fan, techie geek, and loaded.

This isn't to say the PSP's dead. No, it won't be for a LONG time. Sony's prepared to take losses, big losses, if it means getting their competition out of the market totally. We all know that if Nintendos handheld division falls, the company'll die within a generation. 6 Billion's a lot of money, but not if you have to spend it just to be able to sign checks.

But I'm starting to see some really interesting ideas comming up on the DS. Nintendogs went from being stupid, to a must have for me now. Polairum's going to be just under Tetris (yes, it's THAT fun, and that's comming from someone who plays tetris for HOURS), and Electroplankton... which I'm still not sure what it's about, but the concept sounds fun. Toss in games like Castlevania, AC Online, Mario Kart Online, the Play Yan media device, Bomberman DS, and full support from SquarEnix, and Sony has some massive competition. Then you add in the free online/noline support at any hotspot in the world (or at home), and you've got one hell of a value for $150.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:49 PM   #1038
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Well said, well said. PSP isn't going anywhere, but neither is DS.

Polarius seemed odd to me. Actually, I couldn't for the life of me figure the damn thing out until I played that flash demo on Nintendo's website. Now it's must own. I gotta play that thing against someone sometime. DAMN fun.

Now for some sad news.

Konami Bails/Buys Out Hudson

April 11, 2005

by: Larry McCormick

The house of Metal Gear purchases a significant portion of Hudson.
Konami helped ailing developer Hudson, known for titles such as Bomberman and Super Smash Bros., by purchasing three million new shares of the company. Konami had already been the majority shareholder of Hudson, with a 45% stake. Konami has upped its ownership to 54% thanks to its new purchase.

The move was a maneuver to help strengthen the company. According to the press release on Konami's Japanese website, Hudson requested the purchase to help alleviate the record losses it experienced this year. Hudson will now also become a consolidated subsidiary of Konami.

What does this mean to the average Nintendo fan? It's difficult to say at this point. Everyone will have to wait and see what Konami decides to do with the company. GCA will post some more info as soon as it becomes available.

source: Konami Japan - Press Release

Well, I guess Mario Party Advance is the last Mario Party game we'll see. Oh and that Smash Bros comment is a misprint and they know it. Smash Bros is HAL, not Hudson.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:07 PM   #1039
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Does that mean we will get a good Bloody Roar game for once? im sick of these newer crappy ones! I want a good old fashion one....and I want Capcom to make another Rival Schools
Old 04-11-2005, 11:20 PM   #1040
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx
Does that mean we will get a good Bloody Roar game for once? im sick of these newer crappy ones! I want a good old fashion one....and I want Capcom to make another Rival Schools
Huh? I don't get it.