The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 12:20 AM   #261
PizzaFan87
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo87 View Post
As for the reboot, I am sure that their won't be any Bebop, Rocksteady, or Krang because there is a new generation of kids and they wouldn't understand it like we did.
It's possible, I suppose, but you also have to think about it from a marketing point-of-view. Krang, Bebop, and Rocksteady is a major appeal to the original fanbase. And it's the original fanbase that matters most since kids these days aren't exactly big TMNT fans. That could change once Nickelodeon starts airing the 2003 cartoon series. So, like I said, anything is possible at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain88 View Post
its kinda hard to have both.
No, not really. I was just watching the Empire Strikes Back on Spike TV and they did a great job of balancing a serious tone with humor. So, with the right screenwriter and director a TMNT movie with darkness and humor can work.
PizzaFan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:24 AM   #262
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
Their horror films (at least the remakes) DO SUCK. It's not an or issue.

Nightmare was vapid and frankly almost boring, Friday the 13th and TCM were both boring as well, with the added bonus of sterile atmosphere and unenjoyable characters...
You sound like a friend of mine that, back when he studied music, seriously believed that good music and bad music (i.e. music he likes and music he doesn't like) were facts of life as opposed to a matter of opinion.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:38 AM   #263
CJStyles
Hench Mutant

Micheal Bay producing? Cool. That means more attention will be placed on this movie.

Honestly, the first Transformers movie wasn't bad. I didn't care for the second too much, but it wasn't G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra bad.

It's too early to make a decision on whether or not this is going to be a ****** movie or not. I'm gonna hold my opinion until I actually see the finished product on the screen and the credits traverse signifying the end.. but I missed the best part could we please go back to start.. forgive my indecision. I am only a man.... sorry, I just felt like throwing in Incubus.. dunno why.. lack of sleep maybe

Anyways, just wait and see the movie before you place judgment.

P.S. I wouldn't mind seeing Megan Fox straddling a bike in this movie either
Old 05-31-2010, 12:41 AM   #264
turkishproverb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goongasnootch View Post
You sound like a friend of mine that, back when he studied music, seriously believed that good music and bad music (i.e. music he likes and music he doesn't like) were facts of life as opposed to a matter of opinion.
Let me put it this way.

I know writing. I know film. I know art (to a lesser degree).

True, t's not always as simple as good/bad, but when something is poorly done I'm going to point it out. I can take reinterpretation. I can take unusual decisions. I can take work I don't enjoy. I'm not going to make a big issue of that.

I can't take work that seems to lack MERIT.

There are plenty of classic films I don't enjoy. Plenty of classic books I hated reading. Plenty of classic songs I can't listen to.

In reverse, I know many pieces I enjoy have no substance, or no style, or lack most determiners of a quality work. Schlock films and the like.

I can respectfully analyze them and find the "merit" even if I don't enjoy them, or the lack of "merit" even if I do. Critical analysis is often about those things.

I'm generally a lenient critic, but when something fails as a horror film, or as a film, or as a book, I'll say it fails. Criticism isn't strictly about liking or disliking a work. It's about analysis. Like a professor grading a work.

These films fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Raider View Post
But me, Grimlock, love Raphael! He cool, but rude!

I suspected.
turkishproverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:42 AM   #265
Luzmagica
A Magic Light Dudette!

I want to know who/what company is going to make the visual effects!!!!
Any clue ? Use PD work with any company of visual effects ??
Old 05-31-2010, 01:45 AM   #266
PizzaFan87
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzmagica View Post
I want to know who/what company is going to make the visual effects!!!!
ILM, most likely.
PizzaFan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:08 AM   #267
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Quote:
Let me put it this way.

I know writing. I know film. I know art (to a lesser degree).

True, t's not always as simple as good/bad, but when something is poorly done I'm going to point it out. I can take reinterpretation. I can take unusual decisions. I can take work I don't enjoy. I'm not going to make a big issue of that.

I can't take work that seems to lack MERIT.

There are plenty of classic films I don't enjoy. Plenty of classic books I hated reading. Plenty of classic songs I can't listen to.

In reverse, I know many pieces I enjoy have no substance, or no style, or lack most determiners of a quality work. Schlock films and the like.

I can respectfully analyze them and find the "merit" even if I don't enjoy them, or the lack of "merit" even if I do. Critical analysis is often about those things.

I'm generally a lenient critic, but when something fails as a horror film, or as a film, or as a book, I'll say it fails. Criticism isn't strictly about liking or disliking a work. It's about analysis. Like a professor grading a work.

These films fail.
Analysis isn't why most people go to the movie theater. The reasons most people go are for entertainment and having fun. If you look at some general-audience Summer blockbuster or Fall horror film as if you are a professor grading a work, you're often looking at it from a completely different point-of-view than the target audience. I don't want to say that you're "missing the point" by looking at it that way, but you're certainly not getting into heads or the mindset of the people the film was actually intended for.

When you look at it with a different set of goggles than that of the intended audience, you can have a lot of fun. However, you also run into the risk of making a mountain out of a molehill and seeing problems that aren't "really" there. It's like when the book Seduction of the Innocent examined comics. The biggest problem with the book was that the author was looking at comic books that were clearly aimed exclusively at children with an adult sensibility. By taking himself out of the mindset of the children who read these books, he found strong homosexual overtones that an adult would see instead of the "No Girls Allowed " sign that little boys saw.

Feel free to base your ideas of success and failure on prescriptive notions that come from studying film and art. Just remember that the professor handing out grades isn't in the majority and the guy who thinks Megan Fox is hot, explosions rock, and robo-testicles are funny is.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:48 AM   #268
PAAATE
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Analysis isn't why most people go to the movie theater. The reasons most people go are for entertainment and having fun. If you look at some general-audience Summer blockbuster or Fall horror film as if you are a professor grading a work, you're often looking at it from a completely different point-of-view than the target audience. I don't want to say that you're "missing the point" by looking at it that way, but you're certainly not getting into heads or the mindset of the people the film was actually intended for.

When you look at it with a different set of goggles than that of the intended audience, you can have a lot of fun. However, you also run into the risk of making a mountain out of a molehill and seeing problems that aren't "really" there. It's like when the book Seduction of the Innocent examined comics. The biggest problem with the book was that the author was looking at comic books that were clearly aimed exclusively at children with an adult sensibility. By taking himself out of the mindset of the children who read these books, he found strong homosexual overtones that an adult would see instead of the "No Girls Allowed " sign that little boys saw.

Feel free to base your ideas of success and failure on prescriptive notions that come from studying film and art. Just remember that the professor handing out grades isn't in the majority and the guy who thinks Megan Fox is hot, explosions rock, and robo-testicles are funny is.
Yeah, but c'mon... If you have an automatically analyzing mind like I do, you can't just shut it off.

Anyway, regarding the news this thread is all about... I don't care... Don't wanna comment on anything until I at least know who the writer is.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:18 AM   #269
Weapon X
Turtle Power!

I just breezed through this thread and I have to say that I'm alright with this, it puts a "name" behind the movie which is good. What I cant believe is how many people don't know the difference between a Director and a Producer, but even If he was directing all these comments of "Oh it's going to be full of explosions OMG!!" are retarded, Bay's films are primarily action films right?, I've only seen The Rock and Transformers. I mean it's giant robots fighting each other what do you expect. I doubt he would inject the same level of action, but I'm not him so it's up to debate. Also all these complaints about the Platinum Dunes remakes/sequels/prequels and how they suck, especially NOES, have you watched the original lately? I like it, but it hasn't aged particularly good, it's the truth, deal with it.
Weapon X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:45 AM   #270
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
As long as he plays a guy who gets his a$$ kicked, I think everyone would be okay with that.
Doesn't he always plays a complete loser in his cameos? Come on, him getting flicked by Megatron's finger was priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
I just breezed through this thread and I have to say that I'm alright with this, it puts a "name" behind the movie which is good. What I cant believe is how many people don't know the difference between a Director and a Producer, but even If he was directing all these comments of "Oh it's going to be full of explosions OMG!!" are retarded, Bay's films are primarily action films right?, I've only seen The Rock and Transformers. I mean it's giant robots fighting each other what do you expect. I doubt he would inject the same level of action, but I'm not him so it's up to debate. Also all these complaints about the Platinum Dunes remakes/sequels/prequels and how they suck, especially NOES, have you watched the original lately? I like it, but it hasn't aged particularly good, it's the truth, deal with it.
Also, people who think Bay is nothing but explosion after explosion after explosion haven't watched The Island (which I thought was very good) and Pearl Harbor (OK, but I'd probably never watch it again)

So sue me, I like Bay's movies. I have no problem paying to see Transformers 2 in the theater multiple times, while waiting for The Hurt Locker to come on bootleg (I did eventually buy THL, but that's just because I thought Jermey Renner was hot in it. But I still think Star Trek and District 9 were the best films of 2009. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited by Warhorse; 05-31-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #271
turkishproverb
Stone Warrior

Quote:

That's the stupidest comeback I've ever gotten about analysis. That's like arguing American idol or ******* survivor are great art because of ratings. The fact people are morons doesn't make **** into filet.

And really, you're bringing up Wertham? On a comic book centric message board? That's practically Godwining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Raider View Post
But me, Grimlock, love Raphael! He cool, but rude!

I suspected.
turkishproverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:42 PM   #272
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!

Quote:
Their horror films DO SUCK. It's not an or issue.

Nightmare was vapid and frankly almost boring, Friday the 13th and TCM were both boring as well, with the added bonus of sterile atmosphere and unenjoyable characters...

Amityville, in addition to the others, was cliche ridden and had plot points and images bordering on insane troll logic.

The hitcher was a jump movie that got me out of my seat and into my dvd collection to find something else to watch.

Their "original" films aren't better.
That is all your opinion. Nothing but. While you may have not liked those movies there are plenty that do. Including me. What I meant was when watching PD films, they are visually appealing to me. Dark and artfull. Which can really work for a TMNT film. But, thats my opinion. I enjoyed those films. Did they get the best rating or reviews? Hell no. But I believe alot of people consider the horror genre a joke and they dont take it seriously anyways. PD specializes in horror films. So far that is all they have done. So how can we judge them for a film they have not made yet? One that will branch out from what they normally do. There's no telling how cool they can make the TMNT.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:47 PM   #273
Katie
Just...way too serious.

I've been avoiding this thread because I knew what was in it....but today, I read through it. I'm already in a sh!tty mood so I figured why not.

I'm disappointed.

I had no idea that there were so many whiny people in here who can predict the future just because one producer gets picked over another. Seriously. So many self described industry experts in here who have already judged this to be horrible just because of one name. It's disgusting!

No one in here should judge this or ANY movie until you've seen it. Then, if you feel its necessay, rip it up. have at it. But all this whining and bitching and complaining....and all the stupid pissing contests about who knows more about movies and the industry (which I'd be willing to bet my next paycheck is ZERO for most of you)

Why can't we just take this piece of information and recognize that it may be good or may be bad and reserve judgement and (if needed) bitching until AFTER we see the movie?

Movie people don't care what a bunch of whiny people on a message board have to say. Newsflash, the general population, no matter how stupid you think they are, is going to determine the future success of this franchise.

Make a movie that appeals to them and we got a new generation involved. Make one that caters to the 1% of us that want to see a specific type of movie....and the movie will fail (because the population won't know what the hell is going on) and the TMNT will fade to obscurity.

Having a biger name producer (no matter the name. It really doesn't matter) can achive success. Please reverve judgement for later.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:46 PM   #274
AquaParade
Banned

I'm starting to see more "Why so much Negativity?!?!", then actual negativity itself.

If the producers over at Platinum Dunes do have a heavy hand in this flick, I'm excited to know that they have a good eye for visuals. A visually stylized turtles film has a lot of potential.
Platinum Dunes aside, we still have Scott Mednik on board, and he was the guy voicing his love for the original 13 issue run way back when he first joined the project.

I feel we are in good hands so far.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:54 PM   #275
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Quote:

That's the stupidest comeback I've ever gotten about analysis. That's like arguing American idol or ******* survivor are great art because of ratings. The fact people are morons doesn't make **** into filet.

And really, you're bringing up Wertham? On a comic book centric message board? That's practically Godwining.
Really? The amount of people it entertains is a stupid thing to take into account? Sure, I don't like Survivor or American Idol, but there must be something about it that keeps people watching. Just because I have different tastes than them in that context doesn't mean that my tastes are more important just because I want something with just a splash more depth to it.

And, yes, I brought up Wertham. I brought him up as an outside example in relation to movies. I could've just as easily used Jack Thompson and video games to make the same point. Not arguing my point and simply saying the equivalent to, "You're cheating!!!" isn't going to make it less valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAAATE View Post
Yeah, but c'mon... If you have an automatically analyzing mind like I do, you can't just shut it off.
That's why I also mentioned in my post that you can have a lot of fun analyzing stuff more deeply than need be. For example, there was some Geocities site once upon a time where someone took a serious psychological look at the characters and motivations in the OT and everyone basically turned out to be extremely screwed up. It was all tongue-in-cheek, though, and it was a lot of fun to read. Even if you do try to take it a bit more seriously, it's still fun to read.

It's when analyzing stops being fun and it starts being a reason to not enjoy certain things that would otherwise be fun that it starts to get out-of-hand for me.

Last edited by Kendamu; 05-31-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:14 PM   #276
Koi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTFan7 View Post
I would prefer a Turtles movie never be made again than have Michael Bay produce it and have it make millions. Transformers made millions and that stuff it a travesty of motion picture. How somebody is happy that a movie will make millions and keep in mind none of that money is going into your pocket and their just happy it makes money as it becomes one of the biggest travesty's next to Bayformers as for as quality goes is beyond me. I think any TRUE fan would respect quality over quantity
Michael Bay+ TMNT= Bigger fan base. Even if it will drag in different folks then the norm it is all good in my book. At least there is going to be another movie, sheesh. What type of fan are you?
Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #277
Powder
So tired of this place

This has been my point the whole time. You clearly weren't enough of a fan to join this board for productive conversation... You joined to bash Michael Bay. Can't you do that somewhere else?

We're the type of fans who don't judge on first glance.

We're the type of fans to just be glad that the turtles are to be kept alive.

Quote:
What type of fan are you?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:45 PM   #278
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
.We're the type of fans to just be glad that the turtles are to be kept alive.
Maybe I'm speaking for only myself here, but I for one won't be "glad the turtles will be kept alive" if their new movie comes out looking like Bay'formers II. I prefer my canon on the side of quality, not quantity.

I'll be excited about a new direction when I hear more about said direction, until that point I'll hedge my bet with caution based upon Bay's recent filmography. And yeah, I know he's only the producer, but as his is really the only name I recognize, his is the reputation I'll be using to make my judgement.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:57 PM   #279
Koi
Mad Scientist

I guess just having a new movie is enough to make me happy. I am more into the creativity in movies than anything else when it comes to TMNT. A good story line would be nice. I am just in it for the suits and cgi.

But Bay is not the director so there shouldn't be that much harshness over this situation.
Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:58 PM   #280
BoggleKng
Mad Scientist

I am split on this. He has had good movies and bad ones. But he has done pretty well with the Transformers.. nothing mind blowin or special in my mind but decent..

Tags
live action films