The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think a 4 Kids-inspired TMNT film series would work?
Yes 22 75.86%
No 1 3.45%
I don't know or care 6 20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2018, 04:45 AM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Would 4 Kids-inspired films work?

Does anyone think it would work to have a TMNT film series, which instead of being directly Mirage-based, borrows a lot of plot elements from the 4 Kids series, whoch aired between 2003–2009?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:23 AM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

I wouldn't really be opposed to it. We still see the influence of 4Kids' show 9 years after it ended, several of it's original characters are in use and there's just something about the writing style that seems to have stuck. Not to mention how lot Mirage Studios concepts seem to have been permanently filtered through it.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:40 AM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

To me, it felt like that the 2007 film was inspired by the 4Kids series to a certain extent.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:17 PM   #4
dragonside
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Does anyone think it would work to have a TMNT film series, which instead of being directly Mirage-based, borrows a lot of plot elements from the 4 Kids series, whoch aired between 2003–2009?
YES YES YES. hahaha I'd love to see some 4Kids storyline get taken to the next level. I.e. Ninja Tribunal? Fast Foward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I wouldn't really be opposed to it. We still see the influence of 4Kids' show 9 years after it ended, several of it's original characters are in use and there's just something about the writing style that seems to have stuck. Not to mention how lot Mirage Studios concepts seem to have been permanently filtered through it.
Its the cloest mirage adaptation we've got.. thus far. Except for maybe the first live action movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
To me, it felt like that the 2007 film was inspired by the 4Kids series to a certain extent.
Yeah that definitely felt like an amalgamation of the 4Kids and also previous live action movies. It was probably purposefully vague...
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:39 AM   #5
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I always felt the 2007 movie was like a big 4kids episode.

So ya it’d work fine. Lots of material you could use from the series.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:56 AM   #6
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Make shredder human, allow for a slightly darker story line and allows characters to be killed- and YES! This would be the best approach.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I wouldn't be in love with the idea but it'd be a whole lot better than any other movies. Just remove the camp, unnecessary characters, toy pandering and take advantage of a PG-13 rating and I'd be aboard. I wouldn't even mind Saki being an Utrom as long as that's the only concession needed to be made (i.e., no Beebop and Rocksteady and Krang and numbskullery).
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:04 PM   #8
Ninjinister
無問題

I think as a sequel using Bishop as an antagonist would work. Also having Hun as a Shredder henchman and/or Purple Dragon leader. But really not too many other 2003-specific elements that I can think of would work.

Maybe a Ninja Tribunal thing as like movie 5 when they've already exhausted anything worth showing, lol
Old 03-04-2018, 05:40 AM   #9
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I think as a sequel using Bishop as an antagonist would work. Also having Hun as a Shredder henchman and/or Purple Dragon leader. But really not too many other 2003-specific elements that I can think of would work.

Maybe a Ninja Tribunal thing as like movie 5 when they've already exhausted anything worth showing, lol
The characters, except for the turtles, Splinter and April, who can carry such a film are:

Shredder

Purple Dragons

Baxter Stockman (not alone)

Triceratons

John Bishop

Utroms (good guys)
Old 03-04-2018, 04:10 PM   #10
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I'd rather see a film at least attempt to do Utrom Shredder "better". There's a way, 4Kids just did badly. It's part of the package of the 4Kids show.

Just avoid making him a Villain Sue...like the plague.
Give him some aspects to one-up on the Utroms - give them some areas of major "Woah guys, that's messed up, you're sure you're in the fight here?"
Let Karai put her foot down on Leonardo's "but your honor!" lectures; he should lose that one against her, if he's going to lose at anything.

Overall, just...tighten the leaks that 4Kids had.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #11
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Probably being my favorite incarnation, there's still a few things I'd rather not see. Shredder as an Utrom isn't ideal, but can and has worked before. 2k3 seemed to lean too heavily towards the sci-fi stuff for my tastes at times as well.

I really liked how Saki was a public figure in this series, so that'd be fun to explore in a future movie. I also liked the slow physical abuse of Baxter play out over a trilogy or more.

Overall, yeah, it can definitely work. But considering Nick's distancing from the series I never see it happening.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:09 AM   #12
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
I really liked how Saki was a public figure in this series, so that'd be fun to explore in a future movie.
Yeah I liked how much they had Saki just being SAKI. Like he wasn't Shredder 24/7, he was out doing stuff as a person and even just chilling back at Foot HQ as himself.

(Kind of. I mean obvs he was really Ch'rell, but you know what I mean)

We saw something like this in the first issue of Mirage where he was doing some biz when Raph threw the note through the window. But then he kinda died.

In short, Saki should be the guy who is also Shredder, not just the guy who became Shredder.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #13
pferreira
Foot Elite

Not against it but wouldn't interest me much. I feel the TV series did as much as it could with that iteration.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #14
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
In short, Saki should be the guy who is also Shredder, not just the guy who became Shredder.
Especially if he is also a businessman.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #15
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeah, I'm going to agree on building up Saki/Ch'rell beyond being the Shredder. And while there was a lot of time focused on "Saki", there really wasn't a ton of what he did when he wasn't scheming.

Or any examination of Ch'rell basically mental state of needing to be a little Matryoshka doll of secret identities. That was quite the missed opportunity, I think. Maybe would have helped him be a more rounded character. But nah. "Take over all the things" default. Sure, guy.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #16
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Overall, yeah, it can definitely work. But considering Nick's distancing from the series I never see it happening.
By 2020 something, early-2000's nostalgia will kick in, including the 4 Kids series.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #17
dawwe
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
It has pretty much been proven that it works since the original 1990 movie took a lot of inspiration from the Mirage comic and added some Fred Wolf in there.

So yeah, another question we could think about is if it would work best as live action movie, a classic 2D animated movie or a CG movie?
Old 03-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawwe View Post
So yeah, another question we could think about is if it would work best as live action movie
This.

Quote:
a classic 2D animated movie
Wouldn't sell.

Quote:
or a CG movie?
They already tried that in 2007. Sucked.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:57 PM   #19
dawwe
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
This.

Wouldn't sell.

They already tried that in 2007. Sucked.
Do we know that the Turtles Forever movie did badly financially?

I would like to see them tackle a new CG movie. I mean live action can work but I'd rahter see them go full CG. Not doing it in the style of the 2012 cartoon but maybe find a nice balance between Mirage and the IDW comic.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #20
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Turtles Forever wasn't a theatrical release as far as I know.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4kids