The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #1
Cheesebrush
Foot Soldier

Cowabunga Comics Charity Book

For some reason this comic is hard to find in the US yet seems to appear here in the UK with surprising regularity despite being a comic for the US market (a few months back I found one in a local charity shop and traded it with Rich to fill in one of the very few holes in his epic collection - soon to be revealed on his website!). Maybe they were printed here in the UK?
Anyway, I have just found someone in the UK who has clearly found a pile of them (more than 10 according to the listing) and is selling them on ebay at the bargain price of £0.99 (approx $1.50) each plus shipping.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350675649511

I don't know this person and cannot vouch for the authenticity of the comic or their reliability but the price seems reasonable enough to give it a go. I've grabbed a spare copy myself so can compare with my current copy once it arrives.

I have scans of the comic on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheesebrush/4233352491/
Cheesebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior

Wow, crossing this rarity off my dwindling TMNT want list is a nice gift to myself for the holidays, thanks for the heads-up.
Has anyone ever inquired with Mirage about how so many copies of a Massachusetts-based charity's benefit comic might have wound up in the UK?
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
frank_one
Mad Scientist

What does it contain? It's a reprinting of already (back then) released material or it is new stuff?
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior

If you check Cheesebrush's flickr scans of the book from the link above, you can see the contents for yourself, including this Index of Illustrations:
Page 1: JIM LAWSON - Never before published, this artwork was created especially for Friends of Children. Jim is a veteran with Mirage and has been drawing TMNT since 1986.

Page 2: STEVE LAVIGNE - Steve created this portrait of Leonardo especially for Cowabunga Comics. He is a senior artist at Mirage Studios and has been with TMNT since 1985.

Page 3: KEN MITCHRONEY/RYAN BROWN - This dynamic piece was designed for Issue 24 in the Archie comics series.

Page 4: MARK BODE - This sketch of Donatello was created for the Friends of Children. Mark has worked with Mirage since 1989.

Page 5: DAN BERGER - Dan designed this portrait of Raphael exclusively for our collection. He joined Mirage Studios in 1990.

Page 6: A.C. FARLEY - This is a panel from TMNT Book 29, published in 1990.

Page 7: MICHAEL ZULLI - This reproduction from TMNT Book 31, published in 1990, offers a glimpse into Michael's unique vision of the Turtles.

Page 8-9: PETER LAIRD - This work was originally produced as a cover for a limited edition soft-bound collection of TMNT issues.

Page 10: KEVIN EASTMAN - Originally designed by Kevin as a cover for the graphic adaptation of "TMNT: The Movie", this drawing has never before appeared in print.

Page 11: PETER LAIRD - This portrait is a panel from TMNT Book 12, published in 1987.

Page 12: ERIC TALBOT - Eric created this portrait of the Turtles in 1990. He has been with Mirage Studios since 1988.

Page 13: PETER LAIRD - This work depicting Splinter with his disciples was originally designed as a cover for the fifth printing of TMNT Book 1.

Page 14-15: JIM LAWSON - This piece was originally created for the adaptation of the first TMNT movie.

On the cover: Cowabunga Comics features a reproduction of the innovative full-color cover for Tundra Publications TMNT Collection Volume One. It was designed by Ken Mitchroney and Ryan Brown, painted by Michael Dooney.
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
Cheesebrush
Foot Soldier

I think I should have asked this guy for a commission as they've all sold already!
Glad some people managed to get a copy for their collection.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddiverse View Post
If you check Cheesebrush's flickr scans of the book from the link above
Thanks, I missed that link.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Venom
Space Knight

F***! Seems the folks who bought them up ordered 5, 4, or 3 copies.

They'll probably turn up in a few weeks at 5000% markup. :/
Old 12-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
funatic
Mad Scientist

Cool, I didn't realize this was a rare one. Found it in a quarter bin and almost passed it up! Glad I snagged it now! Though maybe living in Massachusetts (specifically Northampton) gave me an advantage to finding it.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
KM3K
Random Punk

Aww... I wish I had seen this thread sooner. This is one of the ones I'm missing from my collection too.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
Cheesebrush
Foot Soldier

My comic has turned up. Certainly doesn't look like a copy or anything (although not sure why anyone would want to create copies of this). In really good condition too - no folds, creases. It doesn't even feel like the books ever been opened before! There's some very, very light marks on the cover (probably just from where they've been stacked together over the years) and the staples are a bit rusty but that's the only very minor issues I can see - and that's being really picky!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

Man I missed out on this. I own the mark bode original donnie art. If anyone has an extra copy, ill pay up to $15 + shipping. Pm me if you have one.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:41 AM   #12
Nortock Diab
Hench Mutant

I am so thrilled I was able to grab a copy for a good price!
VF-NM condition, this booklet is must-have on my shelves .

There was a second copy (closer to a VF) that I picked up too.

Best addition to my collection in a long time .
Nortock Diab is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic discussion