The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Buying/Selling/Trading

Notices

Old 07-31-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

NECA Raphael MIB C9 Packaging $65 SHIPPED

Will be shipped in NECA box. Figure is unopened and box has very minimal damage if any. I really need to unload this.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM

Last edited by ***First of Two Latin Kings***; 02-04-2019 at 11:17 AM.
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:46 PM   #2
drag0nfeathers
Stone Warrior

Why so cheap?

Thank you to evan2000 for the AWESOME gif! <3
drag0nfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:42 AM   #3
Will not be censored

I will tell you via PM. It did sell on eBay for $100 shipped actually, came back to this thread expecting to simply put a big fat SOLD.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:

Old 08-02-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
Coro
Mad Scientist

Is this the one you bought from me? My last unit? Why are you taking a loss? I am willing to refund/return it for you.

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #5
Will not be censored

Didn't take a loss, made $70.

The one I bought from you was for an overseas member. It ships tomorrow.

This has been SOLD via eBay.
Quote:

Old 08-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #6
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
Didn't take a loss, made $70.

The one I bought from you was for an overseas member. It ships tomorrow.

This has been SOLD via eBay.
Glad to hear it. What the heck were you selling it for to make 70 off it?!?!

You bought it from me for 90+shipping (i forget that total), plus you had to ship it overseas. That means you had to charge like 300 + for that thing!

Old 08-02-2017, 02:22 PM   #7
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Tres gauche
Old 08-02-2017, 02:48 PM   #8
Will not be censored

What does that even mean?

I ordered one from Toys R Us for someone here for actual price + actual shipping as a personal favor.

After a week of waiting (no shipping update or notification or anything), you put yours up for sale, and I snagged it, sure I would have to cancel the TRU order. When I called, the lady told me she would cancel it out since she saw where a label had been created but the item had never actually shipped. Said it would be 7 to 10 days for the refund to process.

A few days ago, a NECA Raphael shows up at my door from Toys R Us.
Quote:

Old 08-14-2017, 08:13 AM   #9
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
What does that even mean?

I ordered one from Toys R Us for someone here for actual price + actual shipping as a personal favor.

After a week of waiting (no shipping update or notification or anything), you put yours up for sale, and I snagged it, sure I would have to cancel the TRU order. When I called, the lady told me she would cancel it out since she saw where a label had been created but the item had never actually shipped. Said it would be 7 to 10 days for the refund to process.

A few days ago, a NECA Raphael shows up at my door from Toys R Us.
Tres= very in french
Definition of gauche
a : lacking social experience or grace; also : not tactful : crude it would be gauche to mention the subject

Not sure which one of us it was directed at though.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #10
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coro View Post
Tres= very in french
Definition of gauche
a : lacking social experience or grace; also : not tactful : crude it would be gauche to mention the subject

Not sure which one of us it was directed at though.
A little of both. Talking about profit margins in front of customers/potential customers isn't illegal or immoral, but it is very, very tacky. When buying from a middle-man, customers know they are paying a somewhat inflated price to cover the service of that middle man...that doesn't mean that fee should be discussed publicly. It's kind of like going to the bathroom. Everybody does it, but that doesn't make it an appropriate topic of public conversation.

Conversations like this are better suited for private messages.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:29 AM   #11
Will not be censored

The biggest flaw in this logic is that for some people [like myself] this is their main source of income or ONLY source of income. What you described is basically the job description, the backbone skill to being a successful re-seller. Otherwise you're losing money or only breaking even, 'cept you never really break even since there is so much work involved if you don't know what you're doing.

Is being a construction worker like going to the bathroom? I would imagine that being a doctor, nurse, or sanitation worker is like going to the bathroom since there are times one might have to deal with pee or poo. So there would be aspects of those sorts of jobs that might not be dinner conversation.

HOWEVER:

If I were dating someone and she introduced me to her parents, and one of them asked me what I do, and the other said "don't ask him that, Marge! Talking about what you do for a living is like talking about going to the bathroom!" I might reconsider marrying into that family.

Coro and I don't always see eye to eye sometimes, but he is a veteran who served in some branch of the military, so I don't think anyone is in any position to regulate his free speech if he fought for ours. Just my opinions.
Quote:

Old 08-15-2017, 06:40 AM   #12
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
The biggest flaw in this logic is that for some people [like myself] this is their main source of income or ONLY source of income. What you described is basically the job description, the backbone skill to being a successful re-seller. Otherwise you're losing money or only breaking even, 'cept you never really break even since there is so much work involved if you don't know what you're doing.

Publicly discussing profit margins in front of potential customers is not the backbone skill to being a successful re-seller. The ability to spot a deal, strong negotiation skills, and solid customer service are. This fact doesn't change whether one does this full-time or just on the side.

Is being a construction worker like going to the bathroom? I would imagine that being a doctor, nurse, or sanitation worker is like going to the bathroom since there are times one might have to deal with pee or poo. So there would be aspects of those sorts of jobs that might not be dinner conversation.

Since you asked, the answer is "no". In the context I gave before, being a construction worker is not like going to the bathroom. I'm not sure you understood what I said. Not everyone is a construction worker and it's perfectly fine to talk about many aspects of being a construction worker in many public settings.

And yes, there are aspects of being a doctor, nurse, or sanitation worker that are not appropriate dinner conversation. You got that part right. THIS is the part that equates to what we're talking about. You can talk a lot about being a re-seller without publicly discussing specific profits and losses in front of potential clients.

HOWEVER:

If I were dating someone and she introduced me to her parents, and one of them asked me what I do, and the other said "don't ask him that, Marge! Talking about what you do for a living is like talking about going to the bathroom!" I might reconsider marrying into that family.

You said they asked what you did, not what your margins are. They ask what you do, you say something along the lines of "I search the internet, conventions, and swap meets for deals on collectible toys and other items and I sell them to collectors." You seem to be really hung up on the bathroom analogy.

Coro and I don't always see eye to eye sometimes, but he is a veteran who served in some branch of the military, so I don't think anyone is in any position to regulate his free speech if he fought for ours. Just my opinions.

No one is trying to punish anyone for what they are saying, (which is explicitly what the first amendment protects) so let's please stop any political grandstanding before it starts. I'm not even trying to silence anyone. You've got the right to talk about tacky stuff in public the same way I have the right to comment on the tackiness of said subject. I only brought it up because there seemed to be a general dismissal of social norms that I'm guessing was rooted ignorance (meaning, you didn't know what you didn't know). I had hoped my comment would either alert you to the social misstep or at least initiate the conversation to discuss it further. It did.
My comments are in dark red.

Last edited by Peter Palmer; 08-15-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Peter Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:58 AM   #13
Will not be censored

The father of the girl in the scenario I created might want to know what my profit margins are.

Profit margins are everything. Customer service is important, yes, and being able to spot a poorly listed gem on eBay (or poorly priced gem) is important, but if you can't demand a high enough profit margin, those things are meaningless. Especially since eBay bends you over with their fees, making it even harder to bank.

You're the one who made the bathroom analogy. I just ran with it. I think many of us do treat our threads like a co-ed bathroom where any sort of conversation goes.
Quote:

Old 08-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #14
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

JFC that red text is painful to read... I don't really see why it was in poor taste between two sellers talking about prices in a related thread about sold units.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #15
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
JFC that red text is painful to read... I don't really see why it was in poor taste between two sellers talking about prices in a related thread about sold units.
I changed it to dark red. Not much better, but it's tough to find text colors that are easy on the eyes against the dark gray background we have here.

Regarding why it's in poor taste...if you sell at item, do you say "Thanks for buying this item for $100. I only paid $60 for it. I made $40 off of you."

If you sell an item via PM in a thread, do you come back and say "This item is sold, I just made a cool $30 for my investment."?

No? Why not? You're not saying anything untrue or inherently mean. However, you are possibly indicating to the buyer, whether directly or indirectly, that they could have spent less money if circumstances were slightly different. They could have searched ebay or found another retailer. Instead of feeling like they got a deal, they start to regret the purchase and feel like they overpaid. Not all customers will feel this way, but some most definitely will. And if you want to be successful as a re-seller, why would you willingly risk making them feel less than stellar about their purchase? Especially when this risk is 100% avoidable by relegating these types of conversations to private messages.

Why do you think retailers don't openly show their profit margins right next to their prices on the shelves? They don't want their customers to feel they've been taken advantage of.

It's the same reason you don't discuss pay with your co-workers publicly. Discussing it openly will only breed contempt. Sure, you could walk into the office and brag about your salary, but don't you think THAT is a little gauche? It's effectively the same thing, especially when talking about people who re-sell items full-time.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #16
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Palmer View Post
Why do you think retailers don't openly show their profit margins right next to their prices on the shelves? They don't want their customers to feel they've been taken advantage of.
No, but that would have been really distracting, though. People can't read price tag labels to begin with (experience from working in retail) having another price on the tag would just confuse people even more. Plus, I'd expect every able-bodied person to understand that stores and retailers buy their stock for a significant lower price to sell with profit so that they don't go under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Palmer View Post
It's the same reason you don't discuss pay with your co-workers publicly. Discussing it openly will only breed contempt. Sure, you could walk into the office and brag about your salary, but don't you think THAT is a little gauche? It's effectively the same thing, especially when talking about people who re-sell items full-time.
You should, though. Especially in the US people have extremely varying degrees of salaries among their peers with same education and period of employment, when discussing salaries it's not going to create contempt for the coworker it's going to highlight that some are underpaid.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #17
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
No, but that would have been really distracting, though. People can't read price tag labels to begin with (experience from working in retail) having another price on the tag would just confuse people even more. Plus, I'd expect every able-bodied person to understand that stores and retailers buy their stock for a significant lower price to sell with profit so that they don't go under.

You should, though. Especially in the US people have extremely varying degrees of salaries among their peers with same education and period of employment, when discussing salaries it's not going to create contempt for the coworker it's going to highlight that some are underpaid.
You have hit on the point I brought up initially. Yes, people understand that stores and retailers buy their stock for less than they sell it for. In general, people are fine with that concept. However, most don't want the actual figures thrown in their faces for the reasons I listed above. This is the bathroom analogy that Kings is so fond of. We all know it's happening, but it isn't classy to talk about it in public.

And I'm not saying that you should never discuss salaries with co-workers. I'm saying that if you feel you must, do it with discretion. If you're having a work meeting and you're all gathered around, go ahead and rattle off everyone's salary one by one. You really think everyone is going to be feeling great in that moment?
Old 08-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #18
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
The father of the girl in the scenario I created might want to know what my profit margins are.

Profit margins are everything. Customer service is important, yes, and being able to spot a poorly listed gem on eBay (or poorly priced gem) is important, but if you can't demand a high enough profit margin, those things are meaningless. Especially since eBay bends you over with their fees, making it even harder to bank.

You're the one who made the bathroom analogy. I just ran with it. I think many of us do treat our threads like a co-ed bathroom where any sort of conversation goes.
Honestly, I can't say that I've ever been asked by a lady's father what my income is. In reality, it's none of his business and I'd find a respectful way to tell him as such while finding a way to assuage his obviouse reservations about me.

A nice profit margin is the effect, not the cause. You must start with the skills: the customer service and the knowledge. These are the cause. If you master these, the profit margin will fall into place. If you try to put profit as #1, you will surely compromise your customer service, which will in turn hurt your profit margin. It's a vicious cycle.

And I've never understood the "eBay takes advantage of us" mentality. If you put your items on ebay, you are piggybacking onto a HUGE infrastructure with a built-in audience of millions of potential customers cultivated over years. They ask for 10%-15% overall, which is less than many auction houses and if done properly, there is very little risk involved. If you don't like the fees, stick to craigslist. Watch how your pool of buyers changes. Also, take a friend with you or agree to meet in a police station and try not to get too frustrated when the buyer doesn't show up for the 12th time. I pay my ebay fees happily.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #19
Will not be censored

Okay, to re-cap:

I purchased a NECA Raphael from Toys R Us for a buyer overseas. After a week, there was no notification of shipment. Both the buyer and I started to become impatient. Around the same time, Coro put his last one in stock up for sale DIRT CHEAP. I snagged it, and called Toys R Us to cancel my order. the lady told me that she couldn't see any evidence that it had been shipped, and said she would put in a request for cancellation.

A few days after the payment was refunded, the NECA Raphael arrived from Toys R Us, a company who CLEARLY needs to get their sh!t together, since she had trouble pulling up my account at all when I called and I order from them multiple times a year.

Coro wanted to know why I was listing the Raphael so cheap instead of just returning it to him for the price at which I bought it. Why? The Raphael I was trying to unload was NOT the one I ordered from Coro. It was the one that Toys R Us shipped to me ANYWAY even though I canceled the order for it.

The profit margin was large, since I got it from TRU for free due to an error on their part, but it was purchased from someone on eBay. This buyer paid only $100 for it. He didn't know I got it for free, nor did he care. All he cared about was the fact that he got it for around $20 less than the going rate.

This ENTIRE conversation was irrelevant and unnecessary. We shouldn't have to "resort to PMs" or hide our conversations in secrecy. Marking up items you buy to make a profit is not exactly like taking a ****.

Can I get this thread closed yet? Anyone on moderation "duty" today?
Quote:

Old 08-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #20
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Anyone catch Raph and Leo up on ebay for $19 + $20 shipped from Hong Kong?
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote