The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-18-2020, 10:51 PM   #1
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Anime and Cartoon series that remind you of the TMNT

There are numerous anime shows out there that can feel like they are related to TMNT.

For example, the Gargoyles back in the day was a show I greatly enjoyed and each of the characters did sort of blend in with the tropes given by the Turtles.

Goliath the leader and Leonardo

Hudson the wise elder and Splinter

Brooklyn the hot head and Raphael

Broadway the food-loving guy and Michelangelo

Lexington the tech wizard and Donatello

Elisa the female human sidekick and April O'Neil

The only thing not accounted for is Bronx unless you count Clunk.

There were also humans who become mutants and blame the Gargoyles for their Mutation only to realize they are blaming the wrong people.

Much like there are some mutants who in the TMNT Universe who blame the Turtles for what happened to them only to realize the Turtles weren't really responsible.

And evil clones made of the main characters though that is something that isn't used in TMNT until Fast Forward

Greg Wisemen even went as far as saying the Gargoyles liked everything except pizza just so they wouldn't have that comparison.

An anime I can compare to Ninja Turtles would be Yoroiden Samurai Troopers but it would be likely more recognized by it's dub name Ronin Warriors.

On the outset they feel more closer to the Power Rangers, but you can make a comparison to the Ninja Turtles. Paticularly since the defacto leader Ryo Sanada AKA Ryo of the Wildfire is descended from a clan of Ninja. According to sublimental material on the series not from the series itself. Though in the Manga he is wearing Ninja Attire when he is first shown.

The story centers on five boys who are each from different points of from Japan and are martial artists in varying degrees. And the five of them were given armors that were carved from a being who is the corporeal embodiment of all human evil.

There is even an OVA story where one of the five warriors goes missing while he is in New York. When he other warriors learn that his armor is killing innocent people in New York city the other Ronin journey there to figure out what is going on. One of them seems to assume the missing Ronin has snapped and gone rogue.
Another know this isn't something their friend would do so something really bad must have happened to him.
The other two are reserving judgment until they officially know whether this is is even their friends armor to begin with.

There was one moment in one of the OVA that felt like a scene that could play out in TMNT at one point.

In the moment leading up to this whole outburst, they had been battling a guy wearing an evil version of this mystical armor they have where they combine the powers of all their armors. When they are forming this said mystic armor one of the five warriors hesitates because he can see the armors of his companions turning dark and evil looking. And that hesitation results in two of his four companions being abducted by the person they are fighting. Leaving him with his two remaining companions a hardheaded boy named Shu and an intellectual boy named Tohma there is also a young woman named Nasuti and a small child named Jun with them as well.

I would put up the dub version of this, but it's more or less the same thing. Just lamely worded.

Japanese Version of the confrontation:

(Shin has just told Shu and Tohma that their plan to find and save their companions has more than a few glaring flaws)

Shu: (Roughly grabs hold of Cyes sweater) What did you say?! You've been so negative about this whole thing. What's your problem?! Huh?! Shin?! I haven't asked you yet when Ryo was transforming into the Inferno Armor before why didn't you lend your power?!

(Shin begins to look distressed)

Shu: You hesitated! Why were you hesitant about fighting?!

(Shin swats Kento's hand away from his sweater. Shu is startled by the unexpectedly hostile action)

Shu: Why? Why didn't you...? If you had lent your power to Ryo we wouldn't be in this situation! Why didn't you fight, Shin?! Instead of just standing there, why don't you say something?!

Shin: I don't know myself why I reacted that way. I've been asking that question ever since. But now that you've pushed the issue, I finally understand!

Shu: (Angry) What?!

Shin: I just don't want to fight anymore! I've had enough of it!

Shu: (Starting to get on edge) Wh-why, you...?

Shin: I'm tired of it. I'm tired of having to watch my friends get hurt. Why is it that we have to fight anyway?! Why is it just us?! Tell me, Shu!

Tohma: Cut it out, Shin! We five... the Samurai Troopers were brought together in order to fight. Ever since meeting Kaos, our destiny has been to fight. To follow the deceased Kao's teachings and maintain peace in this world is the Duty we were given. We cannot avoid that destiny. As long as we have the armors.

Shin: No... NOOOOOOO! What destiny?! What duty?! These are our lives! How dare someone else decide how we live!

(Tohma comes up and puts his hand on Shin's shoulder)

Tohma: Calm down, Shin. You're just letting emotions take over your spirit right now.

Shin: I'm always calm. That's why...

(Tohma puts his other hand on Shin's other shoulder.)

Tohma: Shin you should know more than anyone that this is not the time to be saying such things.

Shin: (Seriously upset) SHUT UP!

(Shin punches Tohma hard enough to send him falling backward until he crashes into a table. Shin looks horrified at what he just did.)

Shu: Tohma! Hey, Shin! (Struggles with Shin) You b***!

(Shu punches Shin. Shin punches Shu with his right fist, then his left sending Shu to the ground. Shin grabs hold of Shu's shirt and is about to land another punch when Jun tackles him into a hug.)

Jun: Stop it, Shin-nichan! You're friends! Friends shouldn't fight like that!

(Shin looks as though he is about to break down, but rushes out of the room instead)

Nasuti: Shin!

Tohma: Leave him!

Nasuti: But...

Tohma: He's too emotional. You can't reason with him right now. He's just going to have to figure it out on his own. Shin...

(Shin runs away from Nasuti's mansion tears flying from his eyes as he races towards the lake.)

Shin: Damn...!

Turtle version of this confrontation:

Raph: (Roughly grabs hold of Donnie's bandolier) Hey pal, where were you in that fight? When we needed you most, you didn't deliver. We all deserve and explanation as to why you let us down.

(Donnie begins to look distressed)

Raph: What's the matter genius, cat got your tongue? Why did you hesitate out there?

(Donnie swats Raph's hand away from his bandolier. Raph is startled by the unexpectedly hostile action but doesn't question it.)

Raph: You're part of a team, Donnie! That means no turtle for himself! If you had just done the task you were supposed to, we would have completed the mission.

Donnie: These are questions been asking myself? But since you are making this an issue, maybe I do know!

Raph: (Angry) Well then, spill it!

Donnie: I just don't want to be a ninja anymore. I've had enough!

Raph: (Starting to get on edge) What was that? I think I have some sewer sludge in my ears.

Donnie: You heard me, just fine Raph! I don't want to fight any longer! I'm sick and tired of watching as our friends and loved ones get hurt and
killed. Why are we the only ones who have to protect this city? Don't we have some say in this?

Leo: Knock it off, Donnie! Splinter trained the five of us in ninjitsu because that was his legacy. And as his sons, it is our sworn duty to follow his teachings. It was our destiny to protect this city from all that threatens it.

Donnie: No... NOOOOOOO! What destiny?! What duty?! These are *our* lives I'm talking about!

(Leo comes up and puts his hand on Donnie's shoulder)

Leo: Calm down, D, you're too worked up right now.

Donnie: I'm always calm. That's why...

(Leo puts his other hand on Donnie's other shoulder.)

Leo: Donnie, this isn't the time for this. Let's focus on completing the mission, and then we can discuss this later?just you and me, okay?

Donnie: (Seriously upset) SHUT UP!

(Donnie punches Leo hard enough to send him stumbling backward until he falls into the pit. Donnie looks horrified at what he just did.)

Raph: Leo! Hey! (Struggles with Donnie) That's it!

(Raph punches Donnie. Donnie punches Raph with his right fist, then his left sending Raph to the ground. Donnie grabs hold of Raph's plastron is about to land another punch when Mikey tackles him into a hug.)

Mikey: Donnie, no! We're brothers, brothers don't fight like this!

(Donnie looks as though he is about to break down, but rushes out of the lair instead)

April: D!

Leo: Let him go for now! He's too upset to be reasoned with. He's just going to have to figure it out on his own. D...

(Donnie runs away from the lair tears flying from his eyes as he races through the sewers.)

Donnie: Damn it...!

Samurai Troopers is also celebrating it's 30th anniversary this year so there is still some following.

Last edited by victory_angel; 07-18-2020 at 11:58 PM.
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:15 PM   #2
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Honestly not much unless its media from the 80s and 90s that try to ape off the success TMNT has I almost never say "Wow that reminds me of TMNT"
Old 07-18-2020, 11:48 PM   #3
Leo656
The Franchise

SWAT Kats, Samurai Pizza Cats, Street Sharks, and Biker Mice From Mars, because for f*ck's sake just look at 'em.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:08 AM   #4
Wesley
Mad Scientist

TMNT ripoffs that are already mentioned in this thread, though I still enjoyed them as a kid.

Cowboys of Moo Measa

Jackie Chan Adventures

Gargoyles

That?s all I can think of.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:49 AM   #5
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
SWAT Kats, Samurai Pizza Cats, Street Sharks, and Biker Mice From Mars, because for f*ck's sake just look at 'em.
From my knowledge, the original version of Pizza Cats (released in early 1990) was just meant to be another anthropomorphic cartoon aimed at kids since TMNT as a brand hadn't quite reached in Japan at the time besides maybe the first NES game. Though the dub and its intro was definitely Saban's intention to capitalize on their popularity.

But yeah, all those other shows were clearly cash-ins and add Battletoads to the list. That pilot of the cartoon......shudders.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:14 PM   #6
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Cartoons spawned from the idea of TMNT is a pretty long list.

Anime...eeeeh not really. I don't think I've ever heard of an anime even coming close to TMNT in most aspects, and if there is an anime with any similarities it's likely a giant coincidence. Heck you'd think there would be more of it but the number of anime with anthropomorphic animal characters in them that aren't just Kemonomimi (humans with animal ears) are very rare.

It seems talking animals/humanoid talking animals is still mostly a fascination of the west.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:09 PM   #7
Icebot
Foot Elite

The foresome kid group in Rocket Power reminds me of the ninja turtles, I see Sam as the Donatello of the group because he?s good at technology. Otto is like Michaelangelo, he loves surfing and skateboarding, I guess Reggie could be a leader like Leonardo, I admit I can?t think of anything to compare Twister to Raphael.

Also in Toxic Crusaders, didn?t the villain leader Dr. Killemoff have to take orders from someone like Shredder did with Krang?
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:42 PM   #8
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
Also in Toxic Crusaders, didn?t the villain leader Dr. Killemoff have to take orders from someone like Shredder did with Krang?
But that should make someone think of Star Wars, with Darth Vader and Palpatine.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:34 PM   #9
Icebot
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
But that should make someone think of Star Wars, with Darth Vader and Palpatine.
I actually haven?t seen much of Star Wars so I actually don?t know much about it. I know a little about Darth Vader (which reminds me he reminds me of Shredder), Luke Skywalker, the robot (is it R2D2?) and that?s about it.

I just realized Avatar the Last Airbender reminds me of the mystic ninjas from the 2003 show with the water /earth/ fire/air bending, don?t the mystic ninjas do just that also?
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:52 PM   #10
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
I actually haven?t seen much of Star Wars so I actually don?t know much about it. I know a little about Darth Vader (which reminds me he reminds me of Shredder), Luke Skywalker, the robot (is it R2D2?) and that?s about it.

I just realized Avatar the Last Airbender reminds me of the mystic ninjas from the 2003 show with the water /earth/ fire/air bending, don?t the mystic ninjas do just that also?
Kinda except that the 5th element was metal so it was kinda of a Chinese element thing.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:05 PM   #11
mikey0
Foot Elite

The Battletoads pilot from 1992.

The CYBOARS series on Vimeo.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:15 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

Ah, yeah, I forgot about Battletoads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
It seems talking animals/humanoid talking animals is still mostly a fascination of the west.
Japan is too busy with their Tentacle Monster and "Is that cartoon girl underage? Nope, we put a disclaimer on it so it's okay!" type of stuff.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:24 AM   #13
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post

I don't know with Beastars and BNA a thing it seems like Japan is getting a bit more cultured.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:34 AM   #14
mikey0
Foot Elite

Definitely The Adventures of T-Rex and Stone Protectors.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:14 PM   #15
Powder
So tired of this place

It's not animation but the film Ninja Assassin could practically be a history of The Foot Clan. Change a few names & it's perfect. There are even April/Yoshi/Saki characters.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:01 PM   #16
victory_angel
Foot Elite

With the Samurai Troopers I guess you can compare them to the Turtles this way.

Character-wise it's like there are

Two equivalents to Leo (Ryo has Katana and Seiji has a No Datchi as their main weapons. These two appear have a psychic connection to one another as Seiji has the stongest perception when it comes to Ryo and Ryo has shown able to sense or hear Seiji when he's distressed.)
Two equivalents to Donnie (Shin has a Yari Spear combined with that Man Catcher he is also the resident pacifist, while Touma fights with a bow and arrow, he fills a second in command role and he is also a genius.)
One equivalent to Mikey (His weapon is an Iron Bo Staff that has a Naginata blade at the end of it, and it breaks into a large set of Nuncucks.)

(all of which do have their equivalency to Raph in that if you tick one of them off watch out.)

There is an April O'Neil character
while the closest thing they have to Casey Jones is a ten-year-old boy.

There is also a Karai character named Lady Kyura. She was originally from the clan the Ancient One was from and was kidnapped by the Evil Dynasty when she was roughly eight years old. A year in the Dynasty is 100 years in the mortal relm according to the world building logic with this series. So she's twelve years old when she appears in show. The amulet she wears is used to control her mind and force her to believe it is her duty to serve Arago. After she and the other Warlords reformed the four of them returned to the Dynasty to make sure Arago does not regain power

Last edited by victory_angel; 07-22-2020 at 01:16 AM.
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote