The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 05-28-2019, 06:50 AM   #41
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
I like Slash better than Zach as a 5th turtle.
Preferring an actual mutant turtle instead of a wannabe one isn't hard, at least for me. I liked good guy Slash in Archie, who gave up his life for saving Earth from being destroyed by Malinga and Null.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:03 AM   #42
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I dig some of the early most IDW stuff and the care put into everything since.
You gave up once they switched from red to multi-color masks, didn't you?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
You gave up once they switched from red to multi-color masks, didn't you?
I hung around for a couple of years after that... but when it became clear the Turtles weren't allowed to be ninja and most things were setup just to serve Fred Wolf stuff on the horizon, it seemed pretty clear none of that was for me.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #44
Dane E5R
Mad Scientist

I can’t get into the IDW comics as much as I would like, because the dialogue is painful. Too many characters say “stinkin’.” Nobody friggin’ says stinkin’! And the reincarnation bit is an atrocity.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #45
Toxin45
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I hung around for a couple of years after that... but when it became clear the Turtles weren't allowed to be ninja and most things were setup just to serve Fred Wolf stuff on the horizon, it seemed pretty clear none of that was for me.
Again there are some deaths in the issues dude you just missed it it is just a mix of previous versions.
Toxin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #46
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
Again there are some deaths in the issues
Not by the Turtles' hands. Nick won't allow it. It really hamstringed the whole narrative back in the Dark Leo storyline and that's about when I left.

Quote:
dude you just missed it it is just a mix of previous versions.
I know. I'm not really a fan of TMNT jambalaya.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:17 PM   #47
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Peter Laird did a good job with the franchise in the 00's.
I agree in the sense that for fans of the more serious, Mirage oriented TMNT, we got a pretty great cartoon and a comic book revival from his ownership, even if Volume 4 and Tales Volume 2 didn't always hit the mark as some people put it. I wouldn't know since I only looked at the screenshots and summaries.

I was going to disagree at the same time and say that it failed to maintain a consistent popularity throughout the decade because of the network and time slot the 4Kids show was on, but looking back, that isn't exactly the case. You could get merchandise almost everywhere, toys were featured in holiday guides, there were fast food toys, the 4Kids show managed to get on Cartoon Network with Teen Titans for a brief time, TMNT was frequently involved with charity events, and the 25th anniversary was pretty big. Not bad for an independent comic book publisher and an anime dubbing company. It certainly did better than He-Man. For 80s franchises, Transformers takes the crown for a successful comeback though.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:57 AM   #48
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Mirage is everything. Archie is pretty cool for what it was when it was. I dig some of the early most IDW stuff and the care put into everything since. The first movie is aight.

The rest? Harrible.
I have no idea what "aight" is but I pretty much concur with all of this. Whilst I can enjoy something out of (nearly) all TMNT variations the original Mirage turtles reign supreme for me.
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:49 AM   #49
Powder
So tired of this place

-The live-action musical video stuff like We Wish You A Turtles Christmas has a certain charm. Sure, they're borderline insulting parodies & a prime example of shameless money milking, but they're kitschy, uber 90's, & go to show just how big the turtles were. Literal rock stars. It's fun.

-The Next Mutation is dope. It's mired by Venus being a Mary-Sue & the butt of every joke, as well as the constant, unnecessary, cartoon sound effects, but is otherwise absolutely solid. Great props, some very interesting plots/concepts, cool original characters, it deserves to be looked at with a more objective eye. Or, well, try to look past Venus & the SFX, anyway, & you'll find an enjoyable time.

-Rise Of The TMNT is valid, & very entertaining. It's full of fresh ideas, funny jokes, & makes everything feel new. The animation & aesthetic is incredible. I get why it rubs some people the wrong way, but most folks just aren't giving it the proper time of day. It's super refreshing to see an iteration that doesn't rely on Fred Wolfisms & Remember This? but instead plants a new flag. The 'new' personality types & stuff aren't entirely new but rather are obscure & often unexplored facets of the turtles that were previously only barely touched upon. Most things that people consider to be unnecessary or insulting changes had precedents set for them in past versions.

-Japan's take on TMNT will forever be some of the raddest of all time. Fight me. Turtle Saint, 'nuff said.

-All this Batman crossover stuff is wack. It doesn't make sense, the characters don't mesh, the execution has been poor. It comes off to me like glorified fan-fiction, just schoolyard wish fulfillment for manchild casuals. I especially hate that they're now having it crossover with Mirage. I don't think Pete would've signed off on such a thing, & for that reason, I wish he'd have been asked for his blessing before proceeding. That said, the art by Freddie Williams III is God-tier & I wish they'd put him to better use. I fully support him, he's an amazing asset to the TMNT brand.

-Raphael, & Michelangelo, the seemingly two most popular turtles, ain't so great. They always feel pretty one-dimensional to me. One's always throwing a temper tantrum, the other is an idiot. That's hyperbole, of course, but yeah... A lot of people who favor them, seem to do so for shallow purposes. Bleh. I love Rise Raph & Image Mike the most because they deviate from these molds & make more well rounded characters out of them.

-4kids was at its best when it did its own thing. The original concepts/plots, as well as the Ninja Tribunal & Fast Forward seasons, far exceeded their watered down Mirage adaptions. Kinda wish it was wholly unique, but with Pete still overseeing things, of course.

-Archie is kind of a chore to get through. At times it is preachy and/or pretentious. Ironically, it was a capitalist's wet dream yet often spoke to the ills of capitalism. At least it was printed on recycled paper. I think. Don't mean to bash it, I like it plenty, but I never saw it in the same light many others do, that it's like this big amazing thing.

-Contrary to the consensus, IDW's TMNT is not perfect. It doesn't pretend to be, of course, but a lot of people act as if it can do no wrong. The dialogue in the main run is often very cringe-worthy, & unrealistic. Don't dare pull some Crisler's Law BS on me now. IDW, like 4kids, to me, does a great job on the original idea front, with many of the recycled parts being iffy. As far as I am concerned, a lot of the goofier Fred Wolf stuff like Technodromes, Neutrinos, etc, has no place in a gritty comic book world where people are being killed & whatnot. & I don't really wanna see things that were inherently goofy, made out to be bad-ass or palatable to an adult audience, either.

-Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion across the board but people seem to sometimes disagree with me on this. April shouldn't be much more than just a link to the outside world. No TV news reporting, no ninja mastery, no technological expertise, just a regular college age chick who fills a sisterly role & connects the turtles with human life. I'm tired of her being similarly or equally competent in battle, or a damsel in distress. Neither of these were how she was intended to be. Mirage or bust. Well, 4kids nailed it, mostly, but she was based on Mirage. IDW has done a decent job, but she's quickly become a jack of all trades herself. At least she hasn't picked up a sword, yet...

-TMNT 3 is a decent movie. It's got inferior costumes, stale villains, not enough action/turtle time, & a childish tone, but if you can get past that, there's a fantastic story with a lot of heart & many memorable moments. + it's loosely based on some Mirage stuff, incidental or otherwise. Be nice to it, it tried its best.

-Platinum Dunes did the single worst iteration of TMNT in history.

-Playmates needs to be given the boot, or told to significantly step it up.

-Mirage > Everything else

-Leonardo is the best turtle. He's got a little of all his brothers in him, making him the most well rounded, IMO.

-Bebop & Rocksteady, while amusing & iconic in their debut iteration, should have freakin' remained there. The same could be said for a lot of Fred Wolf stuff. Let's just say, on a whole, everyone needs to stop being beholden to that God damned cartoon. It was great in its own way, it broke ground, it set trends, it did a lot for the property, but for Heavens sake, move on. It's viewed through rose colored lenses, to be sure. There's plenty wrong with it.

-We need change, badly. While I do think a new live action film series should properly adapt Mirage, other new, original takes, would be wonderful. Rise is a great start, but lets push it even further. 2012, IDW, they're excellent, but as Andrew likes to say, they're TMNT Jumbalaya. Taking a bunch of old ingredients & mixing them together with some new spices. Tried & true, quality, sure, but that formula can only work so many ways. When I compare Rise to Batman VS TMNT, the former glows, the latter blows. & that is so mind boggling to me, because I always championed "dark", back-to-basics TMNT, but it's honestly just so stale at this point. Let's see some totally out of left field stuff. Go bold. New origins, new designs, new characters, new settings. It can be done without taking the heart & soul out, I'm sure of it. Rise has proved that, others can too, now.

-TMNT works best as a period piece. They are HELLA a product of their time, & I think work best in that setting. I'd be very happy if a new movie took place in the early 80's or 90's. Go all out with the funky/neon aesthetics & punk/hip-hop flavor.

-Vol. 3 (Image comics) is incredible. Try to get past the mutilation & Image character crossovers, if you are bothered by them, I promise you it's so worth it. The amount of grit & personality, oh man. It was written to be a continuation of Mirage, & it shows. There's mob violence, giant monsters, cross-country travel, kidnapping, Foot Clan & Triceraton stuff, what more could you need? & that art! Fosco is stellar. It pains me that people don't give it a chance. Go pick up the colored reprints! This series has the single best Michelangelo to date.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:27 PM   #50
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Leonardo is the best turtle. He's got a little of all his brothers in him, making him the most well rounded, IMO.
Leonardo being the most skilled ninja is a fact, not an opinion. But we still have different favourite turtles, for various reasons.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:54 PM   #51
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Quote:
-Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion across the board but people seem to sometimes disagree with me on this. April shouldn't be much more than just a link to the outside world. No TV news reporting, no ninja mastery, no technological expertise, just a regular college age chick who fills a sisterly role & connects the turtles with human life. I'm tired of her being similarly or equally competent in battle, or a damsel in distress. Neither of these were how she was intended to be. Mirage or bust. Well, 4kids nailed it, mostly, but she was based on Mirage. IDW has done a decent job, but she's quickly become a jack of all trades herself. At least she hasn't picked up a sword, yet...
I agree. I like it best when April and Casey (okay, maybe not exactly Casey) are average people and our window into the Turtles' and Splinter's world. I don't mind if April eventually develops combat skills. It's only inevitable when you're spending so much time with ninjas and a vigilante. One of the big reasons why I didn't like the 2012 show as much is because it felt too crowded with so many mutants everywhere. The Turtles and Splinter are an anomaly in an ordinary world. Aside from maybe a few others, no one like them really exists. Making April a mutant hybrid with supernatural powers and filling the city with mutants makes the Turtles less special and takes away the opportunity to explore what it feels like to not be "normal" like everybody else.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:24 PM   #52
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Shredder View Post
One of the big reasons why I didn't like the 2012 show as much is because it felt too crowded with so many mutants everywhere.
Earth had 5 milliards of Human inhabitants in 1987, the same year the Fred Wolf Series debuted, not to mention all ordinary animals. So it doesn't make the turtles less special to have anything between 10–100 mutants, or even some characters like Al Falqa, Kathmandu and Ninjara. Just make sure they all have to hide from Humans. Utroms (or Kraang?) residing on Earth shall also hide from Humans, of course.

So I think you can throw in some more mutants than just the turtles and Splinter or even Leatherhead, as long as you don't throw in a lot of mutants, just because it's a lot of mutants.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 05-30-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #53
pferreira
Foot Elite

- The second movie is underrated

- I hate the art styles of the 2012 and Rise series

- IDW is overrated, I just don't see the point of it

- The 2003 game I thought was the best of that three and was pretty solid

- The FW series is underrated and does some interesting things that it'll never be praised for
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:04 AM   #54
Skinrash
Thug

I only like the first season of the '87 show and various select later episodes.

Turning '87 Baxter into a fly was a bad idea that made him annoying and dumb.

Wasn't to keen on the animated/action figure design of Scumbug, the Archie comics one was better as it looked creepier and bore a closer resemblance to a cockroach.

The last act of Secret of the ooze isn't very good. Random Vanilla Ice dance number, Shredder's defeat was incredibly anticlimactic and he barely got any screentime as a mutant. And why did his costume mutate as well? Decent movie aside from that though.

I think Ninjara is a great character.
Skinrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #55
BYWInsaniac
Thug

Unpopular Opinions

- I don't like 2k3 (Same as it Never Was and Insane in the Membrane both live up to their reputations, though, and I love Agent Bishop).

- I think Secret of the Ooze is bad (and I've literally never liked Tokka and Rahzar, even as a 5 year old).

- I think 2007 is great. The Raph/Leo fight is sick as hell, and that scene where Raph comes back and tells Splinter that Leo was captured is fantastic.

- I think Mutant Apocalypse is one of the best stories in 2012.
BYWInsaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #56
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

The 1987 cartoon is the best version of tmnt, period.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 06-10-2019 at 01:53 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #57
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I genuinely don't mind them wearing pants, it's kind of adorable; and best example is Leo in 2016 with those black pants that look quite fine on him.

'Course I always thought them wearing stuff to disguise themselves with in any version was cute anyhow.

If I buy anything else from 'Rise' it will inevitably be figure variants of that nature, IF they manage to make them cute.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:28 AM   #58
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Unpopular opinions of my own:

1. 2003 was the best series to me, and 2012 wasn't excessively far behind

2. I'm a huge fan of ally!Leatherhead, and would really like to see more of him.

3. One reason why I love 2003 so much over some other iterations is because of how relatively-adult-oriented it was. Not to say there weren't any kiddy moments, of course, but I felt it was a good balance for me.

4. I even enjoy the Konami games based on 2003, at least from what I've played so far.

Last edited by 80gmrp; 06-24-2019 at 08:37 AM.
80gmrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #59
Powder
So tired of this place

None of those are unpopular opinions.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #60
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Quote:
None of those are unpopular opinions.
Yeah, looking back at it now, I don’t have hard evidence for most of them being unpopular, even if I don’t talk about the Konami games much anyway: sorry for my confusion.

Though, for #2, maybe I should clarify my position further: I feel so strongly about it that, while I don’t care if he’s a main character or not, if it were up to me, he wouldn’t be an antagonist at all. The extent I feel this opinion I am convinced puts me in a minority, even if the opinion itself might be mainstream.