The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 01-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #81
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I feel like this is an important question that nobody is taking seriously.
The question is, does that Twitter post still exist, sometimes a designer might post something, then deletes the post after getting in trouble.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:38 PM   #82
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

While introducing an interracial relationship ( in the upcoming show ) would be a pleasant and welcoming change, I would much prefer a show that doesn't depict any romantic relationships.

Usually, too many shows rely on romance for plot points/arcs, and usually, they tend to fail spectacularly, either through unfortunate circumstances/implications and/or using too much time/episodes that could be focused on developing characters, world-building, story-lines, etc.

Just view the Apriltello/Capril love triangle plot-line (2k12 TMNT) as an example. It was riddled with unpleasant messages/implications (Girls are prizes that should be oogled/ fought over. Just keep pressuring them until they say yes.) Not to mention, it had the unintended consequence of taking up too much time that could've been focused on more important aspects of the show.

Romantic plot-lines can also raise the issue of character derailment, either through out-of-character moments and/or regressing character development. For Leonardo, his ship tease with Karai made it feel like his character had regressed ( in my opinion ). He would act increasingly arrogant around her. It always seemed to bother me.

In addition, far too many female characters have had the misfortune of participating in/centering on a(n) otherwise unnecessary ship-tease/romantic relationship. Mikey has had two crushes (Renet, Shinigami) in the previous series. If that wasn't frustrating enough, Ciro Nieli implied that Michelangelo would have had a crush on (or be in a romance with) Irma. Even though that plotline was never actually followed through, it still ticked me off to no end. Even Mona Lisa, a developed and relatable female character, needed to be in a romance with Raphael.

Finally, almost all of the 2k12 relationships never seem to develop properly with near-perfect timing, consistency, and circumstance. Subsequently, they can either come across as very quickly paced, under-developed, poorly written, and/or heavily underutilized.

It never seems that female characters can/could develop separately from the male characters, let alone stay single. It always seems that they have to revolve around said male characters, by being the target of their affections or even dating them. Not only does it negatively affect female characters, but it would also basically ruin the male characters as well.

For those reasons, I think romance seems like a somewhat unnecessary aspect that could be taken out and/or strayed away. I just don't see any beneficial/positive aspects that would come from it. Relatively, I would like to see a show that relying on completely platonic/familial relationships, while completely forgoing possible ship tease/romance.

Those are my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 12-14-2022 at 03:44 PM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:52 PM   #83
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Not even close,

Apriltello was treated as a side joke in the Nick series, not meaning to be taken seriously and it didn't take up much screentime at all aside from maybe one episode.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will always revolve around male characters, the main characters are four male teenagers for pete's sake.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:59 PM   #84
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Not even close,

Apriltello was treated as a side joke in the Nick series, not meaning to be taken seriously and it didn't take up much screentime at all aside from maybe one episode.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will always revolve around male characters, the main characters are four male teenagers for pete's sake.
It took up a fair amount of screentime during the first 2 seasons and whether or not it was meant to be taken seriously kinda zig zagged
Old 01-02-2018, 07:07 PM   #85
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
It took up a fair amount of screentime during the first 2 seasons and whether or not it was meant to be taken seriously kinda zig zagged
If you count a fair amount of screentime as say, equivalent to pizza jokes then yes, I agree its a regularly occuring thing that happened maybe once or twice every episode, but the gag was usually only a few seconds long.

The only episodes I can think of that were dedicated to AprilTello were A Foot Too Big and that one other farm episode where Donatello and Casey Jones fight alot until becoming friends at the end.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:09 PM   #86
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah, each episode is roughly 22 minutes. In most eps that had it, the Don/April jokes got like 1 minute of screentime, sometimes it was only 15-30 seconds.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:07 PM   #87
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Not even close,

Still, that bothered me. Why do individuals feel to need to make characters have romances, let alone have crushes?

I would prefer if the turtles were single, or even aromantic (nonromatic)/ romance-repulsed.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:39 PM   #88
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The question is, does that Twitter post still exist, sometimes a designer might post something, then deletes the post after getting in trouble.
Well if there's no way to verify legitimacy, I'm going to remain skeptical until verification can be provided.

I mean Al could have been fooled or trolling us or any number of things here.

I mean a reverse image search only brings up here and 4Chan.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:52 PM   #89
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Still, that bothered me. Why do individuals feel to need to make characters have romances, let alone have crushes?

I would prefer if the turtles were single, or even aromantic (nonromatic)/ romance-repulsed.
Where as to me, romance is just another kind of relationship, and I don't believe interesting characters can exist without some kind of relationship.

Love, and being loved, is part of the human experience.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:09 PM   #90
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Where as to me, romance is just another kind of relationship, and I don't believe interesting characters can exist without some kind of relationship.

Love, and being loved, is part of the human experience.
They're mutant turtles though....

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:13 PM   #91
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Alright, part of the people/intelligent Earthling experience.

Gotta agree though. While it doesn't necessarily have to go full on into it, at least some touches of it (light crushes or whatnot) makes them more well rounded and relatable. (Not overboard, and not even necessarily in every incarnation.) A side of the inner human within them.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-02-2018 at 10:22 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #92
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
WHAT?!
SINCE WHEN?!?!

They're mutant turtles raised in a human world. Sometimes they're raised by a sensei that used to be human, but in pretty much every incarnation there's been some sense of longing to be topside with everyone else.

No one questions that they have love, and are loved, by Splinter.
And few would argue that they have a fraternal love for each other.
Or even a sororal/maternal love for April.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:36 PM   #93
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
So?
They are human-like Mutant Turtles, with feelings and desires like a humans. Just because they are not (entirely) humans, doesn't mean that they can not have romantic desires. In fact, it would have been very bizarre if they did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post

You are weird, you know?

Also, romances allow to dive deeper into characters and show them from different sides.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:54 PM   #94
victory_angel
Foot Elite

The teen years are the time where a human body is prepared for procreation. So it’s natural the Turtles would be attracted to human woman or just humans in general.

If there were female mutants available then the idea of the Turtles being with a human girl would not be as much of an issue. But if humans were completely off the table...

Last edited by victory_angel; 01-02-2018 at 11:03 PM.
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:13 PM   #95
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Yes, they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
The teen years are the time where a human body is prepared for procreation. So it’s natural the Turtles would be attracted to human woman or just humans in general.
But the Turtles don't have human bodies. And we have no idea how the new show will even address the ooze, insomuch as "is it 50/50 Turtle human?" "is it just a hyper-evolved turtle?"
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:24 AM   #96
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Quote:
who just happens to be...

da da DAAAAAAA...

BAXTER STOCKMAN!

Now there's a twist.
Baxter Stockman dont have any kids. He is just a mad scientist working for me. But after so many failures iam considering to replace him with another mad scientist.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:12 AM   #97
Chabrendeki
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I'm up for TMNT: Degrassi, this is 2018 , stop living in the past these things happen and kids need to know about them. Nothing wrong with pregnant single April.
Me too, only I don't see it happen.
Chabrendeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:56 AM   #98
newfan
Mad Scientist

It depends what the show is meant to be and the target age group, also, is April even younger this time? (referring to above)

As for romance, sure the turtles can have crushes, they think and feel like humans, just as others have pointed out, if it is going to be there it doesn't need to take too much focus. They may not go there with this show.

Last edited by newfan; 01-03-2018 at 03:39 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:59 AM   #99
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

The author of the picture said that this is just a sketch, but my source (sorry, I can not reveal it) claims that the final design is very similar.

Original post:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ????? ???????? ??????? (2).jpg (71.1 KB, 42 views)
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:21 AM   #100
Ninjinister
無問題

Beautiful, that's precisely what I wanted. There's nothing there saying that's April but at least we have confirmation on who the artist is, and she is a character designer on the show.

(Side note how the hell have I been in the game this long and everybody else got "secret sources" but me?)

Tags
april o'neil, cybercubed arrives