The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Rian Johnson directing all new Star Wars Trilogy

For director Rian Johnson, Star Wars: The Last Jedi was just the beginning of his journey in a galaxy far, far away.

Lucasfilm is excited to announce that Johnson will create a brand-new Star Wars trilogy, the first of which he is also set to write and direct, with longtime collaborator Ram Bergman onboard to produce.

As writer-director of The Last Jedi, Johnson conceived and realized a powerful film of which Lucasfilm and Disney are immensely proud. In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.

“We all loved working with Rian on The Last Jedi,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “He’s a creative force, and watching him craft The Last Jedi from start to finish was one of the great joys of my career. Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy.”

“We had the time of our lives collaborating with Lucasfilm and Disney on The Last Jedi,” Johnson and Bergman said in a joint statement. “Star Wars is the greatest modern mythology and we feel very lucky to have contributed to it. We can’t wait to continue with this new series of films.”

Johnson’s upcoming Star Wars: The Last Jedi arrives in U.S. theaters on Dec. 15, 2017.

No release dates have been set for the new films, and no porgs were available for comment.

StarWars.com. All Star Wars, all the time.

http://www.starwars.com/news/rian-jo...r-wars-trilogy
Old 11-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #2
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.
Please be far away from the Episode IV timeframe
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

What. Looks like the Star Wars movies will never end.

By the time even the first movie of this new trilogy comes out, which obviously won't be till after 2020, most people will be burned out.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Episode Nine is still a few years away and it already seems like Lucasfilm are bored of their current model
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Episode Nine is still a few years away and it already seems like Lucasfilm are bored of their current model
Seems like the same model to me:

2017: Skywalker Saga 8 - The Last Jedi
2018: Solo (Stand-alone)
2019: Skywalker Saga 9
2020: New Stand-alone (Obi Wan?)
2021: Johnson Saga 1
2022: New Stand-alone
2023: Johnson Saga 2
2024: New Stand-alone
2025: Johnson Saga 3
2026: New Stand-alone
2027: Skywalker Saga 10 etc, etc
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #6
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Seems the higher up folks are happy with his work on Episode 8.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
sdp
-

This is sad because it's exactly what's happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Seems like the same model to me:

2017: Skywalker Saga 8 - The Last Jedi
2018: Solo (Stand-alone)
2019: Skywalker Saga 9
2020: New Stand-alone (Obi Wan?)
2021: Johnson Saga 1
2022: New Stand-alone
2023: Johnson Saga 2
2024: New Stand-alone
2025: Johnson Saga 3
2026: New Stand-alone
2027: Skywalker Saga 10 etc, etc
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #8
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Man, I have a good feeling people are going to burn out on this...but now that Disney's involved...

Spoiler:
This is the franchise that never ends
Yes, it goes on and on my friend
Some people started watching it not knowing what it was
And they'll continue watching it forever just because
This is the franchise that never ends...
Old 11-09-2017, 05:37 PM   #9
sdp
-

It was clear that Star Wars was going to become a yearly franchise from early on, I wrote about this last year:
https://miscrave.com/articles/annual...ars-spin-offs/

People will eventually get tired, and the movies will stop breaking record numbers, but in the short term and I mean next 8 years I think it should be relatively easy money, we'll see if by the end of this trilogy people will be excited to jump into a new one.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:18 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

I was hoping after Episode 9 they would take a break. Star Wars isn't really something you can milk dry outside of comics/books or stuff like that.

Meh. Star Wars will turn into the next Simpsons.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #11
Chris
Mad Scientist

It was clear from the very beginning we were getting a movie per year. They announced the first 3 spin offs very soon after the sequel trilogy if I remember right and have always said the plan was to keep going past that.

Disney/Lucasfilm clearly have a lot of faith in Rian Johnson & The Last Jedi to announce this now. Looking forward to seeing where they go with this. I've loved what we've seen so far of TLJ so I'm really excited for this! Plus for everyone who feels the ST has played it too safe I think this could really offer something new.

Last edited by Chris; 11-10-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:30 AM   #12
Turo602
The King of Kings

I don't get why Star Wars fans can't just sit their ass down once a year and be happy that they're getting this much Star Wars on film in their lifetime. Especially since they're exploring so many different stories that you'd otherwise have to read in a comic book or novel. Hell, Marvel and DC fans get to do this multiple times a year and the steam hasn't run out yet, and people are already complaining about Star Wars before the third film has even released? I don't get it.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:33 AM   #13
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Yeah the negativity is just stupid at this point, I'm happy we get this yearly treatment. I'm all for it if the quality is as good as Rogue One.

Some people get burnt out? Buzz off to other franchises no one cares about your whine. Long live Star Wars.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:44 AM   #14
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Yeah the negativity is just stupid at this point, I'm happy we get this yearly treatment. I'm all for it if the quality is as good as Rogue One.

Some people get burnt out? Buzz off to other franchises no one cares about your whine. Long live Star Wars.
Perfect example of people taking quantity over quality and not caring what they get as long as they get it. Another reason of why Hollywood is in the sh*tter these days.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:21 AM   #15
Chris
Mad Scientist

But the quality has been great so far.

Force Awakens, whilst I get the nostalgia criticisms, was the perfect film to reinvigorate the franchise (which it did beyond most peoples' wildest expectations). Rogue One was fantastic and The Last Jedi looks set to continue that streak.

Solo is the only one I was really unsure about (no one was asking for a Solo movie without Harrison Ford) but all the behind the scenes drama shows they really are committed to getting this right and aren't afraid to course correct if it isn't working. If they really wanted to just cash in and go for quantity over quality we'd be getting 2-3 films per year and the next trilogy would continue on with Rey and the ST characters. Instead they've given Rian Johnson a blank canvas to create a whole new trilogy.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:01 AM   #16
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
But the quality has been great so far.
When you initally watch it, it seems that way, but FA and R1 don't hold up on reviewings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
Hell, Marvel and DC fans get to do this multiple times a year and the steam hasn't run out yet.
DC never had any steam until Wonder Woman and Marvel got stales years ago but people just won't admit to it.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:08 AM   #17
sdp
-

Quality not quantity.

Relying on nostalgia/fan service can only work for so long.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:08 AM   #18
Vegita-San
Emperor

the new series is going to be on the streaming service. if it's an exclusive, that's foul play. but if it's as boring as rebels turned out to be....they can keep it.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:13 AM   #19
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Sounds awesome for Star Wars fans. With that many movies, some of them have to be awesome.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Well, if it wasn't "Exciting new trilogy from ______ corporately pliable director" then it would be "We announce Episode X, XI, and XII!" And it's probably best to wait at least a good bunch of years first for those, but we know they're coming.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote