The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Which LCD handheld was your favorite?
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1989) 9 64.29%
Turtles 2: Splinter Speaks 2 14.29%
Turtles 3: Shredder's Last Stand 1 7.14%
TMNT Basketball 1 7.14%
Dimension X Assault 1 7.14%
Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #21
PizzaPower
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Sorry to double post, but I saw this and thought it was too awesome not to share. Its the complete sprite collection for the first game:

http://patents1.ic.gc.ca/details?pat...2383#imageview

This site has some more cool behind the scenes pictures on the game's creation.
now this is really cool.
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #22
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Konami's Four for Four

I recently acquired the obscure Konami handheld "Four for Four." Most of the existing online information about it shows the U.K. "Hero Turtles" release, but my copy is evidence it probably received a U.S. release too.

Gameplay is among the simplest of all the Konami handheld TMNT games. The turtle character does not move forward or backward, but can only attack, jump, and turn around/attack, similar to the gameplay from the other Konami handhelds. There are only four enemies: Rocksteady, Bebop, Shredder, and Krang's Android. Playable characters are Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael, and Michelangelo, although there are no differences in the sprites, so they might as well just be "4 lives" since you cycle through the Turtles until each lifebar is depleted. I'm guessing the lineup of heroes and villains is the basis of the "Four for Four" title.

And alternative title for this game could have been "Foot Clan Villain Decay," as the big bads have been reduced to the lowly status previously occupied by Foot Soldiers in other games. Levels consist of Rocksteady, Bebop, and Shredder attacking the player either individually or in combination waves. They are each felled by a single hit, but reappear constantly until the end of the round. R&B have the same attack patterns, but Shredder is craftier in that he will always enter in the opposite direction from which the player is facing. After a certain number of kills, Krang's Android will appear at the right side of the screen and fire off his rocket fist attack continually while the other enemies continue their own attack patterns.

Points are awarded for each successful kill: 10 points for Rocksteady or Bebop, 40 points for Shredder, and 80 points for Krang. I don't think points ever reward the player for anything other than the high-score memory. So far I've only made it as far as Level 9, when the action really speeds up. I think it's fun for what it is. Rounds are very short and fast paced, so the action doesn't get as dull and repetitive as it does in previous games like TMNTII: Splinter Speaks or TMNTIII: Shredder's Last Stand. Kudos to Konami for requiring only a single AA battery to play it.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 01-15-2020 at 12:28 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 08:01 AM   #23
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I think Mame is still a better emulator for this, but very sharp looking digital fan-recreation of the old Konami lcd handheld game!
https://itizso.itch.io/konami-ninja-...bqGr_fujwkqF5w

more game mods:
https://itizso.itch.io/retrofab

Don’t know much about the website, so browse at your own discretion!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 09-23-2023 at 07:38 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 09:09 AM   #24
Mad Dog McMutt
Hench Mutant

I had the Splinter Speaks one when I was a kid. I even managed to beat it. The sound clips in it sounded really goofy.
Mad Dog McMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 09:41 AM   #25
IMJ
Emperor

Anyone remember what those old Tiger handhelds used to cost at retail? Just curious....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 10:05 AM   #26
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Anyone remember what those old Tiger handhelds used to cost at retail? Just curious....
I'm thinking 10-12 bucks for the low-end cheap ones, 15-20 for the Tiger and Konami ones.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 10:36 AM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's funny that in the days before mobile phone games existed, our generation grew up on these.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 11:06 AM   #28
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's funny that in the days before mobile phone games existed, our generation grew up on these.
It was the only way to play videogames at home until my parents finally broke down and bought me a NES.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
konami, video games