The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 06-10-2019, 02:17 AM   #1
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Ciro Nieli 'I feel like it will come back someday' denofgeek interview

Ciro is out promoting his new book The Art of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (from the 2012 Nick show) and this interview has a lot to dissect for fans of the show. It's a pretty long interview and they talk about quite a lot of things.

Quote:
I’m talking to Ciro Nieli, the executive producer of Nickelodeon’s 2012 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles TV series, about his upcoming book. In pulling together the behind-the-scenes designs and sketches for The Art Of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Nieli found himself doing more than curating a collection of images; he found himself reliving eight years of his life.

“If you include the book, it was close to nine,” he says.
More at the link:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles interview: Ciro Nieli 'I feel like it will come back someday'

Also a reminder, the book comes out THIS TUESDAY so get a copy!
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:29 AM   #2
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Ciro is out promoting his new book The Art of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (from the 2012 Nick show) and this interview has a lot to dissect for fans of the show. It's a pretty long interview and they talk about quite a lot of things.

More at the link:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles interview: Ciro Nieli 'I feel like it will come back someday'

Also a reminder, the book comes out THIS TUESDAY so get a copy!
I fully intend in doing so, thanks for the link.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:45 AM   #3
newfan
Mad Scientist

Some interesting things there that I didn't know, like he was asked to work on a Usagi series with Dark Horse right after but it never panned out, also he offered to work on Rise, I get his reasons for choosing not to.

It looks like (although he would still do the one off story he wanted to tell) that a special is unlikely at least for sometime, but I figured that recently anyway. I do wonder what his new show is though.

Last edited by newfan; 06-10-2019 at 02:51 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #4
Vegita-San
Emperor

just glad he's done with tmnt. didn't feel he was a good fit for it.....designs might have been ok, but story consistency was rather lacking.

i'd just rather let 2012, and with any luck the bigger mess that is rise, rest in pieces...and hope something comes along that can last ten years or more, so we stop with the constant reboots

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #5
Powder
So tired of this place

Fantastic & relatively in-depth interview. Very interesting to know how the extent of his involvement in TMNT could have gone much further, but at the cost of his own insights. Probably made the right call. I'm sure he'll return to TMNT one day, at any rate.

What a shame that Usagi series fell through, though- damn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just glad he's done with tmnt. didn't feel he was a good fit for it.....
We get it, you're still bitter he told you off on Facebook after harassing him for a year.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"So even before a season was begun it was keeping in mind, there’s gonna be this many mutants and this many figures and new outfits for the Turtles."
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #7
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"So even before a season was begun it was keeping in mind, there’s gonna be this many mutants and this many figures and new outfits for the Turtles."
Yeah, gross from a storytelling perspective, but we've always known that to be the deal with these cartoons.

Really, it makes it all the more impressive how well this show turned out, all things considered. All in all, a pretty great rendition of the TMNT. Not my favorite, but more than I would have ever expected from a Nickelodeon TMNT cartoon, at the time of the sale. I mean, I actually do enjoy it, which was a stretch considering my preference for hand-drawn animation and the fact that I can count the number of Saturday morning cartoons I enjoy on one hand.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Yeah, gross from a storytelling perspective, but we've always known that to be the deal with these cartoons.
at least the more corporate cartoons.

I'd like to think that 4kids didn't have that problem at least.

The sad part is this show could have been truly great. but it suffered from rather weak villain stories..weak villains. and lack of direction. the long breaks didn't help it either, but all the elements where there for success.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:22 AM   #9
rickwj324
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just glad he's done with tmnt. didn't feel he was a good fit for it.....designs might have been ok, but story consistency was rather lacking.

i'd just rather let 2012, and with any luck the bigger mess that is rise, rest in pieces...and hope something comes along that can last ten years or more, so we stop with the constant reboots
Man... I absolutely LOVED the 2012 show! To me it is hands down the best TMNT show...period! It not only is my favorite TMNT show, but it is one of my favorite shows from any genre of tv that I watch. It was well written with very developed characters that I felt strongly about. I can't tell you how many times I laughed out loud and even cried out loud. For a cartoon to have such an emotional impact on me, they must've been doing something right. I was truly sad when that show ended.

I never watched the 2003 show when it aired (only saw a couple of random episodes) but recently my son and I have been watching them all in order (currently we are in season 5). I really like the show a lot (as does my son) but it doesn't come close (in my opinion) to the 2012 show in terms of quality storytelling. Don't get me wrong, I really LIKE the show but the 2012 show was just THE perfect TMNT show in my opinion. A tough act to follow, for sure!

Don't get me started on "RISE"!!
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:36 AM   #10
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

My personal opinion is somewhere in between AquaParade and rickwj324. It’s not my favorite era of TMNT (that’s reserved for 2003), but it’s still up there by a landslide. I myself found myself a bit emotional when I rewatched “It Came from the Depths” the other day, which I mean in a good way.

Though, if there’s one thing I agree with Vegita-San over, it’s that we have too many reboots at this point.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:55 AM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80gmrp View Post
My personal opinion is somewhere in between AquaParade and rickwj324. It’s not my favorite era of TMNT (that’s reserved for 2003), but it’s still up there by a landslide. I myself found myself a bit emotional when I rewatched “It Came from the Depths” the other day, which I mean in a good way.

Though, if there’s one thing I agree with Vegita-San over, it’s that we have too many reboots at this point.
Batman And Spider-Man and other series have hundreds of reboots, I don’t know why people can accept the 1000th version of Batman but can’t accept a small handful of TMNT reboots.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:30 AM   #12
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Batman And Spider-Man and other series have hundreds of reboots, I don’t know why people can accept the 1000th version of Batman but can’t accept a small handful of TMNT reboots.
Seeing that the TMNT come from an indie comic that has a set story to tell, I think people feel the story has been told. How many more times are we gonna see Escape to Northampton and City at War. Straying too much from that path and you end up with Fast Forward or Rise.

Spider-Man and Batman have no true story other than their origins and the origins of the villains. They both have such a huge rogues gallery that you can mix and match villains and stories for years and reboots. Plus their comics are neverending, so future cartoons can add even more things like Superior Spider-Man, Spider Gwen, The Signal, Joker with his face cut off and whatever else.

The Turtles story pretty much ends when they end the Shredder and the resulting fallout.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Not quite. Very few hard "reboots" with those characters (as in throwing out literally everything about the past and starting over), but quite a few soft retcons that kind of "massage" bits of new continuity into the old, trying not to change too much at once so as not to give long-time readers a migraine.

For example, in 1986 or so, Frank Miller's "Year One" became the new "official" Batman origin, but it tried very hard not to change too much of the existing story, and stories taking place pre-1986 still happened within the continuity, they just happened a *little* bit differently than as told previously. Or like "The Killing Joke"; it tells the exact same story as the previous "official" Joker origin story that had been told and re-told since the 1950s, it just changed a few of the details to make it a bit more contemporary.

MOST mainstream comic book characters actually only ever get a handful of "hard reboots" that toss out everything and start from zero. Superman has probably had the most of these, but more often, it's preferable to "soft retcon" a few details here and there rather than wipe the slate clean.

Every new TMNT version is a brand new and unique version, with NO resemblance to any previous version, and yes, we absolutely have WAY too many conflicting versions at this point, especially since the property really isn't that old compared to others. If a person asks, "What is Splinter's origin?", it shouldn't be a 30-minute explanation covering 8 different and conflicting stories. "Who Is April O'Neil?" You should have ONE primary answer, and maybe she's a little older or younger, or her hair is different, or whatever, depending on the version. She shouldn't be a completely different human being with a completely different origin and life story in each new version, and we shouldn't be doing a hard re-set every 5 years or so. That's sloppy, lazy bullsh*t.

Just to clarify.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:36 AM   #14
rickwj324
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80gmrp View Post

I agree with ya.. both shows are really good. The 2k3 show is quite good and if I had watched it when it aired (prior to seeing the 2k12 show) I probably would place it higher than I do, but for me (and my son) the 2k12 show is just so awesome!

As for reboots, I would've preferred the 2k12 show to continue (even if it reverted to a cheaper 2D version to save on animation but still continue the stories of the 2k12 show and using the same actors). I've been very vocal about my hatred towards "Rise". I know it has it's fanbase (which I respect) but man do I have a tough time sitting through that show. My 6 year old watches it, but even he says its nowhere near as good as the 2k12 or 2k3 shows. I admit that I do collect the figures from RISE though, just because I love collecting TMNT figures and RISE has a nice selection of villain figures so far.

I do hope that the next reboot offers something totally different then what we got from RISE. I'd honestly love to see something resembling the IDW series (understanding it would be toned down for the kiddies a bit, but not as "kiddy" as RISE. 2K12 had a great balance of adult stories that were also kid friendly).

Rick
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #15
Redworld96
Stone Warrior

So .... how much it costs that artbook?

Anyway Hello guys, it has been a long time since the last time I read the forum.
Redworld96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:49 PM   #16
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Darn it Nick/Viacom, let him make that special he wanted. Now that he's talked about it, it sounds pretty awesome.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:44 PM   #17
sdp
-

Glad Ciro is not in Rise, didn't like his style and while I enjoyed 2012, it was lackluster. With that said I'd love a 2012 special/movie or whatever, maybe once enough years happen and some nostalgia kicks in.

They have the models after all, can't be all that expensive. 2012 could've easily had another season with some type of gimmick. It just seemed to end abruptly, even with 100+ episodes and most story arcs finished I kind of wanted a little more from the 2012 universe.

Mutant Apocalypse won't be matched though. Best finale ever.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:25 AM   #18
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redworld96 View Post
So .... how much it costs that artbook?

Anyway Hello guys, it has been a long time since the last time I read the forum.
$25 and change right now.

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Teenage-M...dp/1506709931/

Ranks among the best iterations of TMNT for me. It knew where to stick with what worked from before yet still innovate in other areas. Perfectly melds the best aspects of Mirage and Fred Wolf with some choice cherry picks from other iterations, while still packing in loads of new material. Criticisms can be made as with anything, but for me most of them stem from budgetary limitations or the realities of working on a show where toy concerns are part of the mandate. But when it shines, it shines bright!

Last edited by Zulithe; 06-11-2019 at 01:37 AM.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:44 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's very likely the 2012 series gets revisited in a DVD/blu-ray movie at some point. We got both a Batman/TMNT crossover and Rise is getting a movie, 2012 getting one eventually makes sense.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:16 PM   #20
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
It's very likely the 2012 series gets revisited in a DVD/blu-ray movie at some point. We got both a Batman/TMNT crossover and Rise is getting a movie, 2012 getting one eventually makes sense.
I would love to see the "Return of Kraang" idea worked out, older turtles but also older versions of April, Karai, Casey Jones, heck why not have an older Baxter Stockman appear. I would go at it from the way the Archie comics did the Future Turtles story arcs.

They could bring Jason Biggs back as the voice of the son of Leonardo.

It would be "So metal!"

Last edited by The Great Saiyaman; 06-12-2019 at 06:24 PM.
The Great Saiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote