The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-06-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Fast & Furious 9

Delayed into 2020. Meanwhile, the Hobbs/Shaw spinoff will be coming in 2019.

Tyrese made an Instagram post poking fun at the Rock, blaming him for the delay: “PSA Congratulations to @TheRock and your brother in law aka 7 bucks producing partner @hhgarcia41 for making the Fast and the Furious franchise about YOU. And like you, DJ even if they call I will not be deleting this post. Gn folks see you in 2020 April #FastFamily right? Nah….. it’s about #TeamDewayne #3yrs will it be worth the wait? #NoShaw just Hobbs will this be another #BayWatch? Guys guys just relax I’m just a passionate film critic.”

That article: http://www.darkhorizons.com/fast-and...-set-for-2019/

Shane Black wanted to direct the Hobbs/Shaw spinoff: http://www.darkhorizons.com/shane-bl...ious-spin-off/

Furious 9 delayed: http://deadline.com/2017/10/fast-fur...20-1202181866/
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

At the moment, there is way more drama surrounding the cast than was ever in the last movie...
Old 10-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #3
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

I enjoy the drama surrounding the actors hating each other more than I do the actual movies now. I thought the Rock / Vin feud for F8 was just a work but after seeing the film where they don't share the screen once it's obvious there is some bad blood there.

Ole Tyrese needs that F9 paycheck ASAP. Maybe he need to do more campaigning for the Green Lantern role.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The feud is over!

http://www.businessinsider.com/tyres...e-rock-2017-11

But it was getting nasty...

http://uproxx.com/movies/tyrese-the-...eud-leaving/2/

And I had no idea Justin Lin was announced as the director of 9. Huh.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:28 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

John Cena up for a part, apparently:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/john-cen...and-furious-9/
Old 01-31-2020, 02:28 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The trailer:

Huh. So Han is alive, just like that. Never died and it was a cover-up.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 01-31-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:01 PM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

So I know it's officially labelled part 9, but it is actually the 10th movie? Is like how Rogue One and Solo arbitrarily don't count as part of the main series, despite featuring major characters and clearly being intended as canon? Or was the last one actually non-canon and/or having some other reasonable excuse for not counting?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:22 PM   #8
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
So I know it's officially labelled part 9, but it is actually the 10th movie? Is like how Rogue One and Solo arbitrarily don't count as part of the main series, despite featuring major characters and clearly being intended as canon? Or was the last one actually non-canon and/or having some other reasonable excuse for not counting?
Hobbes and Shaw is a spinoff of the Fast and Furious movies. Don't know if that counts.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:46 PM   #9
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Hobbes and Shaw is a spinoff of the Fast and Furious movies. Don't know if that counts.
But why exactly doesn't it count?
Hahahaha!
Old 01-31-2020, 03:47 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Hobbs & Shaw was Hobbs & Shaw #1, not Fast & Furious #9.

Like, nobody is calling "Puss in Boots" Shrek V.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Shesus! That's quite a delay. And Diesel just promised it wouldn't move a few days ago.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:21 PM   #13
IMJ
Emperor

I hate these movies. I do respect that they've reinvented themselves as these sort of special ops team flicks, but I haven't followed them since a buddy twisted my arm to watch parts I and II wayyyy back in the day.

We were really into Chicagoland area car culture back then and those movies just came off as Hollywood parody. I remember us laughing our asses off at the "I NEED 'NAAAuUUUUS!" guy like he was a crack addict who had to pronounce the acronym instead of trying to hook nitrous up to his ride. The whole thing didn't come off well at the time and I never looked back.

But these flicks are easy money. They are cheap to make, you can crank them out off an assembly line and enough people pay to see them to keep them going. So it's all good, I suppose.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:58 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I do respect that they've reinvented themselves as these sort of special ops team flicks, but I haven't followed them since a buddy twisted my arm to watch parts I and II wayyyy back in the day.
They did a lot more than that. 1 was a pretty solid "Point Break with Cars," with part 2 becoming (hilariously, IMHO) a "Hollywood parody," specifically of bad 80s/90s undercover actioner movies. I loved the chemistry with Walker and Tyrese and find it the funniest of all, personally.

But anyway, that was those. And 3 wasn't really about anything. When things came back on the scene with 4, it came back as a reinvented as a straight up revenge thriller. And it worked! It was dead serious, but it worked, and felt genuine.

Part 5, it reinvented itself again as a heist/caper movie with the added caveat of "the gang's all here!" (the cast from 2, plus Han and Gisele from 4). And The Rock. It was great and a lot of fun, which is probably why it's a lot of people's favorite one.

Part 6, NOW they shift into the "special ops team flicks." But it's less that than the gang fighting their Mirror Universre counterparters, basically. It's not as good as 4 or 5 but still pretty decent.

Part 7, more "special ops team flick." Except this one's pretty weak, and not just because this is the one they had to salvage Paul Walker's death. It's a revenge movie where they don't actually get any. I don't care for it much.

Part 8, yep, more "special ops team flick." This one, however, they nail! Oh, it's absolutely ridiculous, especially the opening scene in Cuba, but it's not the least bit pretentious about anything. Awesome!

By this point there is lots of blah blah blah about "family, family!" but it all feels earned and legitimate. These really are actors playing the same characters together for years and years now, so we know the camaderie is real.

Quote:
But these flicks are easy money. They are cheap to make
They are certainly not cheap to make. At least, not anymore. F8 cost 250 million.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:10 PM   #15
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They did a lot more than that. 1 was a pretty solid "Point Break with Cars," with part 2 becoming (hilariously, IMHO) a "Hollywood parody," specifically of bad 80s/90s undercover actioner movies. I loved the chemistry with Walker and Tyrese and find it the funniest of all, personally.

But anyway, that was those. And 3 wasn't really about anything. When things came back on the scene with 4, it came back as a reinvented as a straight up revenge thriller. And it worked! It was dead serious, but it worked, and felt genuine.

Part 5, it reinvented itself again as a heist/caper movie with the added caveat of "the gang's all here!" (the cast from 2, plus Han and Gisele from 4). And The Rock. It was great and a lot of fun, which is probably why it's a lot of people's favorite one.

Part 6, NOW they shift into the "special ops team flicks." But it's less that than the gang fighting their Mirror Universre counterparters, basically. It's not as good as 4 or 5 but still pretty decent.

Part 7, more "special ops team flick." Except this one's pretty weak, and not just because this is the one they had to salvage Paul Walker's death. It's a revenge movie where they don't actually get any. I don't care for it much.

Part 8, yep, more "special ops team flick." This one, however, they nail! Oh, it's absolutely ridiculous, especially the opening scene in Cuba, but it's not the least bit pretentious about anything. Awesome!

By this point there is lots of blah blah blah about "family, family!" but it all feels earned and legitimate. These really are actors playing the same characters together for years and years now, so we know the camaderie is real.
Interesting break down.... you sound like a real fan of these flicks!

Quote:
They are certainly not cheap to make. At least, not anymore. F8 cost 250 million.
I was going to add something about that in my post above, but I didn't.... but yeah I'm sure once the Hollywood action guys starting gaining prominence in these, and they became "building destroying spectacles" that the price tag went up big time.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:34 PM   #16
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Shesus! That's quite a delay. And Diesel just promised it wouldn't move a few days ago.
That's more the studio's decision then his. He has no control over when a movie gets released.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:56 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Interesting break down.... you sound like a real fan of these flicks!
I got to be. I remember I was dragged to the first one when it came out by a friend who was super into illegal street racing (it exists, even out in the south Seattle areas like Kent) and mostly liked it, but wasn't sold. I saw the second one with him, and he HATED it... but I found it hysterical. I was apathetical to 3 but man, did 4 work for me.

Quote:
I was going to add something about that in my post above, but I didn't.... but yeah I'm sure once the Hollywood action guys starting gaining prominence in these, and they became "building destroying spectacles" that the price tag went up big time.
Definitely started with 5. That's when they said, "It's still about family and always will... but the physics are going out the window." And they haven't really looked back. Which makes sense, since each one keeps on making more money than the last.

Also, I just realized stupidly... this year long delay has nothing to do with the virus, per se, does it? It's about China. They can't even go to the theater there right now, and not for the foreseeable future. It's about those oh so lucrative Chinese dollars being lost.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #18
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Man, this virus has gone far you know
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:17 PM   #19
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon1982 View Post
Man, this virus has gone far you know
Hahahaha!
Old 03-26-2020, 11:16 AM   #20
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Another one? Can we just kill this thing already? These got repetitive a long time ago.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote