The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 09-22-2019, 02:09 PM   #21
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
The Robotic Foot Soldier,Warrior Metalhead, and Chromedome figures look great MOC in my opinion. The inclusion of the Turtles and Foot symbols after the 10th basic wave and generic card re-releases was a welcome surprise. I didn’t like when the toy line went in a different direction in ‘93. Unfortunately, Playmates tried to save the toy line in the same year that the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers blew up in popularity.
Was Warrior Metalhead the same figure as Metalhead Michelangelo? I found it to be an odd variant especially since it was reminiscent of just one turtle.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:43 PM   #22
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Skateboardin’ Mike
What the heck was the point with that figure when the Cheapskate had already been released back in 1988.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:04 PM   #23
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Was Warrior Metalhead the same figure as Metalhead Michelangelo? I found it to be an odd variant especially since it was reminiscent of just one turtle.

Thanks. I corrected the typo.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:11 PM   #24
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
What the heck was the point with that figure when the Cheapskate had already been released back in 1988.
I think Playmates was trying to produce a second set of turtle variants for the last basic wave of 1991 (7th wave) like the disguised turtles (which I realize now were not a sub-wave). Leo was a police officer, Don had the firefighter suit, so I guess Mike was the certified skateboard instructor? I’m not sure what happened to Raph or why Mike was the basic wave turtle variant figure that didn’t fit in with the other variants. The 7th wave (Skateboardin’ Mike wave) was lackluster (for the most part) opposed to the 5th wave (Slash wave) that it was trying to be.
On the one hand, the 7th wave was what children of the 80s and 90s wanted the 5th wave to be. There should have been 1st movie turtles, Shredder, Splinter, and a Foot Soldier in the 5th wave with Ray Filet, Panda Khan, Fugitoid, Slash, and etc..On the other hand, the 5th wave was a notch above the 7th wave because of Undercover Donatello, Space Cadet Raphael, Sewer Samurai Leo, Fugitoid, Triceraton, and Panda Khan. Those were all great figures that appealed to Turtles collectors of all ages in 1990.

Last edited by mikey0; 09-22-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #25
Samurai
Foot Soldier

Quote:
The Robotic Foot Soldier,Warrior Metalhead Michelangelo, and Warrior Chromedome figures look great MOC in my opinion. The inclusion of the Turtles and Foot symbols after the 10th basic wave and generic card re-releases was a welcome surprise. I didn’t like when the toy line went in a different direction in ‘93. Unfortunately, Playmates tried to save the original toy line from the dead end it was at in the same year that the Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers blew up in popularity (1994).
Warrior Metalhead and Warrior Chrome Dome do look great MOC and even better graded.

Last edited by Samurai; 12-20-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:27 PM   #26
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Warrior Metalhead and Warrior Chrome Dome do look great MOC and even better graded.
At the time, the re-colorization reissue of Metalhead for Warrior Metalhead completely caught me by surprise. I had no idea that Playmates was planning on re-releasing Metalhead as Warrior Metalhead after Metalhead was not reissued on the generic 1993 and 1994 cards. All of the re-colorizations made towards the end of the line made me wonder about a lot of things. It would have been cool to see a 1991 orange and blue pocket April redone with an all yellow jumpsuit and yellow and blue stripe jumpsuit on a generic 1994 card with a collector card, coin, or both.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #27
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Now that you mention it, I had always hoped for a more properly proportioned Cheapskate. Imagine something more akin to Mondo Gecko's board, but with Cheapskate accessories on it. It could've been packed into a figure, or it could've been a cool four pack of Cheapskates....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:20 PM   #28
mikey0
Foot Elite

Mini Cheapskates made from the mold used for Mondo Gecko’s skateboard would have been a neat idea for reissues of the 1st basic wave turtles in the 90s, 00s, or earlier in this period.

The original Playmates toy line seems to have gone through an identity crisis in this part of the 90s. From 1988 to 1991, the first TMNT toy line was a boys toy line. Then, from 1992 to 1995, the first TMNT toy line became a toy line for boys and girls. The April variants from 1992 always catch my eye whenever I’m at the TMNT Toy Museum looking at 1992 figures. I call April, The Ravishing Reporter the early 90s April. Who would have thought before 1992 that TMNT toy collectors would get an April wearing shorts under a dress? I wish a SOTO April had been released alongside the Foot Soldier and Movie Splinter in 1992.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:02 PM   #29
mikey0
Foot Elite

Does anyone wish the Sludgemobile and Toilet Taxi had been released in early 1992, so that Headspinnin’ Bebop and Sword Slicin’ Leonardo could be pictured in the stock image on the box over 1st basic wave Bebop and Leonardo?
Old 12-05-2019, 04:16 AM   #30
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Does anyone wish the Sludgemobile and Toilet Taxi had been released in early 1992, so that Headspinnin’ Bebop and Sword Slicin’ Leonardo could be pictured in the stock image on the box over 1st basic wave Bebop and Leonardo?
I don't think the thought ever crossed my mind.

Has anyone ever been able to figure out who drew the package art for figures and vehicles? Unsung heroes!
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:25 AM   #31
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
I don't think the thought ever crossed my mind.
It was unclear to me in early 1991 whether the Wacky Action vehicles were to the Wacky Action sub-wave or the basic wave. Why stick the Wacky Action label on the vehicles if those vehicles could have been regular release small vehicles like I believe Playmates was going for. The yellow shirt on Bebop confused me, also. I’m surprised the box art for the Sludgemobile was not corrected by someone on Instagram or a site similar to that in some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
Has anyone ever been able to figure out who drew the package art for figures and vehicles? Unsung heroes!
That information should have been in the season 3 episode of The Toys That Made Us episode for TMNT. I was under the impression that the TMNT toys episode would cover the 1988 to 1997 toy line exclusively, but instead, the makers of the show chose to focus on almost everything TMNT by Playmates. There was not a mention at all of the card and box artists, but the toys and prototypes.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #32
Samurai
Foot Soldier

Some of my favorites

Old 12-07-2019, 11:27 AM   #33
Samurai
Foot Soldier

And just to round it out - the rest of my favorites

Old 12-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #34
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Some of my favorites
Nice nod to the Foot Foolin' Detective Disguise on the front of the cards. My favorite era of the original Playmates line is 1988 to 1991, but there’s some great stuff in the 1992 to 1995 era along with the 1996 to 1997 period.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:30 PM   #35
Marm O. Set
Random Punk

It’s super tough to pick favorite figures.
My most sentimental figure (and not coincidentally the one I have the most of) is the 1988 Foot Soldier. The new super7 foot soldier is suuuuuuper tempting to army build.

After that, the question is more difficult. The toys I like are Baxter, Mutagen Man, Muckman/Joe Eyeball, Doctor El, and more.

I also fell in love with the Triceraton after reading the comics and watching the 2012 series... but never bothered to buy him as a kid because I didn’t know the stories behind him.

As far as sculpts go, Warrior Bebop (and the rest of the forgotten sewers series), Napoleon Bonafrog (gotta change that paint scheme though), Killer Bee, the wacky wild west series, and the universal monsters series are some of my favorites. I used to hate all the weird variants but I have come to love them over time.
Marm O. Set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:54 PM   #36
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I had a special love for the Universal Monsters tie-in figures and the figures based on the live-action movies.

Also, loved most of the Mutations figures (Tokka and Rahzar especially) and the Ninja Action figures for their comic-book design aesthetic.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:03 AM   #37
mikey0
Foot Elite

It was unproduced, but I really like Warrior Rahzar. The MOTU influence with the figures in this toyline is what made me love the vintage toyline. As teens were saying in the early 90s, “Ninja Turtles is our He-Man.” The vintage toyline had better colors and detail than the 1982 MOTU line. Both boys toylines are great, nonetheless.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:25 PM   #38
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

I’ll tell you, there are so many possible choices to list, but for me, among the unsung heroes of the 90’s figures (and the Turtle line in general) are the Ninja Action TMNT. As has been mentioned, I liked that they were a pseudo comic book version of the turtles. Especially with their tails and all? For the longest time, I considered those my comic TMNT figures, until the day NECA released theirs.

Also, the cyber samurai turtles were a lot of fun. We had all the turtles except for Mike, and we had Bebop and Shredder. Did Rocksteady ever get made? I’m thinking no...

Last edited by Zachatello00; 09-16-2020 at 08:31 PM.
Zachatello00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:52 PM   #39
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
I’ll tell you, there are so many possible choices to list, but for me, among the unsung heroes of the 90’s figures (and the Turtle line in general) are the Ninja Action TMNT. As has been mentioned, I liked that they were a pseudo comic book version of the turtles. Especially with their tails and all? For the longest time, I considered those my comic TMNT figures, until the day NECA released theirs.

Also, the cyber samurai turtles were a lot of fun. We had all the turtles except for Mike, and we had Bebop and Shredder. Did Rocksteady ever get made? I’m thinking no...
There wasn’t a Cyber Samurai Rocksteady. On the other hand, a Kung-Fu Tournament Fighter Bebop was missing from that variant wave.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:56 PM   #40
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Quote:
There wasn’t a Cyber Samurai Rocksteady. On the other hand, a Kung-Fu Tournament Fighter Bebop was missing from that variant wave.
That’s right! Funny how that worked out. They must have had a falling out, or else Bebop’s love of robots took him in one direction while Rocksteady preferred to practice Kung-fu.
Zachatello00 is offline   Reply With Quote