The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 03-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Gamestop closing 100+ stores

As this wasn't posted yet to my knowledge, I figure this warrants a notification. Gamestop, the popular video game store company, is set to lose at least 100+ of its stores soon due to sales declining.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/25/news...tores-closing/

It's sad as I've had several memories at the stores; as I find more info relating to stores being closed, this post will be updated.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

I wouldn't care if the whole company itself goes bankrupt. In reality though, it's the ride of digital games or amazon that's killing them.

Not many people are going to stores to buy games anymore when they can buy them digital or online.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
Powder
So tired of this place

Sucks for the loss of jobs but Gamestop sucks.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #4
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I wouldn't care if the whole company itself goes bankrupt. In reality though, it's the ride of digital games or amazon that's killing them.

Not many people are going to stores to buy games anymore when they can buy them digital or online.
Yeah, I can honestly say I stopped going to Gamespot because of how annoying they force their clerks to be. Respect your customers enough to let them make their one purchase and leave.

I am all about physical media but everytime I thought of going to the GS down the street, I shuddered. I'll occasionally use Amazon if the game impresses me and I want to own the disc.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:59 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

I haven't bought a game in any store in a while. I usually buy all my games online on either amazon or ebay, usually discounted.

I haven't paid $59.99 for a game in years. Games are too much full price, and you can find them all cheaper online.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Can't say I'll miss that place when it completely dies off. They overcharge for everything, and don't have a good selection at all. Vintage Stock is waaay better.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:45 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Yeah, I can honestly say I stopped going to Gamespot because of how annoying they force their clerks to be.
Very, very annoying.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Gamestop used to be interesting in the 90's or early 2000's, mainly because they used to have stacks of old NES, SNES, Genesis and Gameboy carts in the back I remember. The days when you could browse gamestop and find some old cart game to buy and you'd ocassionally find a gem.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #9
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Very, very annoying.
Agreed.

And their policies seem to lack common sense.
Honesty is a good policy, but I used to feel embarassed when I'd go there with a friend, back in my younger days, and they'd have to keep reminding me that my rewards card saved me over $200 in the past and that I should renew, blah blah blah.

It's really my own issue but please don't announce how I spend my money to the whole store. Idk, I may not have a valid point here, but I sure did hate that. Especially since I had already been denying the renewal for well over a year.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:33 PM   #10
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Its funny hearing you guys complain about the things you experience at GameStop, I never had any problems with the one I go to, Maybe its just the people who work at your locations.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #11
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

ya I traded in my xbox 360 the orginal first release one and a bunch of games I barley made 20 bucks. so good riddance to bad business
Old 03-28-2017, 04:37 PM   #12
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
This is really funny, but to be honest, I never felt like their trade-in-policies were what made them a terrible company.

Everyone feels like they are getting ripped off when they trade in games, but you have to remember that they may never even sell your game. They are taking a risk on buying it from you, when you could really just sell it yourself and skip the middleman.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:37 PM   #13
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

My GameStop isn't closing so I'm good. I get tons of money for trading in there so I need them around.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:38 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

Doesn't gamestop only give like $20 for a recent brand new game? Not really worth it.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:21 PM   #15
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Doesn't gamestop only give like $20 for a recent brand new game? Not really worth it.
I agree it's not worth it.

But what would you expect them to give you, right? Why should they be responsible for covering the ass of every person who buys a brand new game and hates it.

Considering they have to pay the staff worker to be there to accept your trade-in, then be there to resell it, if it ever even sells. There's also something to be said for shelf space, I suppose.
They take care of every convenience and you just have to bring it in to them and drop it off. Pretty sure you get some "reward points" to spend or whatever too.

I think GameStop is a terrible company, but the trade-in system isn't unfair, if you ask me. That being said, I prefer to skip over GameStop and sell things myself.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:44 PM   #16
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Its funny hearing you guys complain about the things you experience at GameStop, I never had any problems with the one I go to, Maybe its just the people who work at your locations.
With all due respect, I've never seen you complain about anything other than other people complaining... So maybe you're just oblivious to a lot of things?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:08 PM   #17
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
With all due respect, I've never seen you complain about anything other than other people complaining... So maybe you're just oblivious to a lot of things?
When I go to a Gamestop, Its to get a specific game, I dont stay there for a long time, I ask for the game, pay for it and then take off, That's been my experience at these stores, I never had any bad experiences.

But all over the internet, I hear about people complaining about Gamestop this, Gamestop that, The things people describe I never experience.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:12 PM   #18
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
They give $33, which is totally worth it.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:38 PM   #19
sdp
-

I don't think I ever bought a new game from any of those stores whether it's babbages/EB ames/Gamestop or whatever name they used to have, the prices of games were usually $5 above MSRP so I would just walk a little more to Walmart or any other store that sold it for MSRP. Later on they sold the games for MSRP but by then Best Buy and Circuit City always had gaming deals the first week of release so I would buy them there instead.

Only thing I remember buying there was used games for cheap, like a bunch of great N64 titles at the end of its time or PS2/Gamecube games when the PS3/Wii were out. Oh and I think my parents bought my N64 there but that was when it launched and you could literally not find it anywhere.

It's kind of sad if it eventually goes out of business as, I know I'm getting ahead of the game there but it's cool to have a video game store in every mall, I loved going in there as a kid and spending hours looking at the covers of video games but I guess times change. And they need to learn how to do business better in today's world. I don't think these 100 stores closing will be a huge loss to the community as there are many stores close to each other, at least my mall had one inside and another outside since they decided to keep both stores when Gamestop bought EB or whatever.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:54 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

As I said, online like amazon or ebay and digital games are killing traditional retail stores.

Most people don't even buy games at places like Target, Toys R Us or Best Buy anymore either.