The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 09-27-2019, 09:17 AM   #341
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
I’ve seen them online. Search Groundchuck on Google and you’ll see pics of Groundchuck in a 1991 episode of the CBS FW cartoon, 1992 Nintendo Power magazine, and 1993 TMNT Sports folder (through The Sewer Den).

No. 1962 to 1968 when neon and bright colors were being worn.
Neon? In 1962? Not in this timeline. Which universe did you say you were from again?
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:44 AM   #342
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Bio info with sizes, weight, and age from the old toyline cards:
[Not my own scans, but something I found online years ago]

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 09-27-2019 at 11:18 AM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #343
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Continued...

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:00 AM   #344
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Neon? In 1962? Not in this timeline. Which universe did you say you were from again?
I was explaining that many Baby Boomers were nostalgic for all parts of the 60s in the 1980s. As the original toy line was going from its Reagan late 80s origins to the stage it was at last in the early to mid 90s, neon and day-glo colors were used. Everything going on in the late 80s and 90s tied-in with the original Playmates toy line. Every figure in the original 1988 toy line was a product of its time. There needs to be a documentary or book for the original Playmates toy line.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:31 PM   #345
TommyT
Banned

Still dumfounded by Donnie being a full foot shorter.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:49 AM   #346
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Still dumfounded by Donnie being a full foot shorter.
It's weird, but those were the very early days and I think they were just trying to figure everything out. I wonder if any subsequent Donatello bio cards list his height again.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:10 AM   #347
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
It's weird, but those were the very early days and I think they were just trying to figure everything out. I wonder if any subsequent Donatello bio cards list his height again.
No, the birthpace, height, weight, age, and shell types were only important to the first basic wave turtles cards and not the variants that came afterward. The original Playmates toy line was a very interesting toy line in the first year the toys were released. Then again, the original TMNT toys were the new toys on the block shortly after the action figure market was like it was last in the mid 80s. There would have been loads of competition for the Turtles if the toy line were released in 1987. MOTU, G1 Transformers, GI Joe ARAH, Thundercats, MASK, MUSCLE, LJN WWF Wrestling Superstars, Visionaries, and etc. Instead, the original toy line was released when the 1982 Hasbro GI Joe ARAH toy line was the best current boys toy line in stores. The action figure market started to dry up in ‘88 with the onslaught of ‘TV, Movie, and Comic Book Collectible toy lines’ that doubled as poseable toys (without the epic good versus evil theme) and stayed that way until 1992.

TMNT was basically the crossfire between the epic good versus evil themed boys toy lines (Star Wars, MOTU, and GI Joe ARAH) and the more solid TV, Movie, and Comic Book Collectible toy lines (The Real Ghostbusters, Roger Rabbit, Robocop, and Police Academy). I think that could be why so many children of the 80s loved it in the beginning.

Last edited by mikey0; 09-28-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:50 PM   #348
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
No, the birthpace, height, weight, age, and shell types were only important to the first basic wave turtles cards and not the variants that came afterward. The original Playmates toy line was a very interesting toy line in the first year the toys were released. Then again, the original TMNT toys were the new toys on the block shortly after the action figure market was like it was last in the mid 80s. There would have been loads of competition for the Turtles if the toy line were released in 1987. MOTU, G1 Transformers, GI Joe ARAH, Thundercats, MASK, MUSCLE, LJN WWF Wrestling Superstars, Visionaries, and etc. Instead, the original toy line was released when the 1982 Hasbro GI Joe ARAH toy line was the best current boys toy line in stores. The action figure market started to dry up in ‘88 with the onslaught of ‘TV, Movie, and Comic Book Collectible toy lines’ that doubled as poseable toys (without the epic good versus evil theme) and stayed that way until 1992.

TMNT was basically the crossfire between the epic good versus evil themed boys toy lines (Star Wars, MOTU, and GI Joe ARAH) and the more solid TV, Movie, and Comic Book Collectible toy lines (The Real Ghostbusters, Roger Rabbit, Robocop, and Police Academy). I think that could be why so many children of the 80s loved it in the beginning.
Quoting this because this whole block of text is confusing. We all know when the toys were Released.
Quote:
There would have been loads of competition for the Turtles if the toy line were released in 1987. MOTU, G1 Transformers, GI Joe ARAH, Thundercats, MASK, MUSCLE, LJN WWF Wrestling Superstars, Visionaries, and etc. Instead, the original toy line was released when the 1982 Hasbro GI Joe ARAH toy line was the best current boys toy line in stores.
What?
Old 09-28-2019, 11:22 PM   #349
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
What will Super 7 do after all four turtles are done in Ultimate form? What if some casual TMNT fans request variants of the turtles from the 5th (Fugitoid wave) and 7th (Super Shredder wave) basic waves and sub-waves after awhile? Will this be a line of the basic characters and supporting characters exclusively? How are these Ultimate figures of the whole original TMNT toy line if the variants of basic and supporting characters are left out?
I don't see them getting into variants, I guess they will stick to the main characters. I see a lot of people on this board and around the web complaining about the high price of this figures, also I think the market is a little saturated with high quality stuff coming from Neca, Mondo and other companies in the last few years. I could be wrong, but I think Super 7 Turtles are unlikely to prove successfull and become very popular. Of course I wish them the best as I like what they've shown so far.

I guess we'll get 4 or 5 wave and that'll be it.
1 - Raphael, Splinter, Foot soldier, Baxter Stockman
2 - Michelangelo, April, Shredder, Triceraton
3 - Leonardo, Casey Jones, Bebop, Krang
4 - Donatello, Metalhead, Rocksteady, Rat king

Those are the most iconic and basic characters I can think of, all appearing at the very beginning of the Playmates' Turtles toy line in 1988 and 1989. What else? Maybe Leatherhead, General Traag or Usagi Yojimbo too? It would be cool to have an highly detailed new version of the classic Mutagen man but I'm afraid it could be a litle more expensive to produce.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:33 PM   #350
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I don't see them getting into variants, I guess they will stick to the main characters. I see a lot of people on this board and around the web complaining about the high price of this figures, also I think the market is a little saturated with high quality stuff coming from Neca, Mondo and other companies in the last few years. I could be wrong, but I think Super 7 Turtles are unlikely to prove successfull and become very popular. Of course I wish them the best as I like what they've shown so far.

Those are the most iconic and basic characters I can think of, all appearing at the very beginning of the Playmates' Turtles toy line in 1988 and 1989. What else? Maybe Leatherhead, General Traag or Usagi Yojimbo too? It would be cool to have an highly detailed new version of the classic Mutagen man but I'm afraid it could be a litle more expensive to produce.
This line will die before the third wave.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:58 AM   #351
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Quoting this because this whole block of text is confusing. We all know when the toys were Released.

What?
The Hasbro GI Joe ARAH toy line was the only main competition for TMNT in 1988 and 1989. The other ‘epic good versus evil’ themed toy lines were just about gone or went downhill. The boys toy lines released in 1987, 1988, and early 1989 were in a league of its own before highly cartoony and poseable TV, Movie, and Comic Book Collectible toy lines (Kenner Police Academy, Hornby Tom and Jerry Playbill, and Kenner Beetlejuice) took over the action figure aisles.

Last edited by mikey0; 09-29-2019 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:59 AM   #352
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:

Triceraton and Mutagen Man were in the 5th basic wave from 1990.

Some adult collectors want a little more than the iconic basic wave characters, though.

My Source: http://thefwoosh.com/2019/09/top-ten...rtles-figures/

Last edited by mikey0; 09-29-2019 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:52 AM   #353
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I see a lot of people on this board and around the web complaining about the high price of this figures
I honestly don't understand the price complaint. Are these people who have only started making money, and being asked to part with their significant disposable income for the first time? These are collectible figures from a boutique company. They're niche. They cost money. More money than mass-produced toys for kids, like what you get from Playmates. Welcome to the grown-ups' table.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:59 AM   #354
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Triceraton and Mutagen Man were in the 5th basic wave from 1990.

Some adult collectors want a little more than the iconic basic wave characters, though.

My Source: http://thefwoosh.com/2019/09/top-ten...rtles-figures/
I definitely want Usagi (I'd actually get two to keep one carded).

Then the Triceraton and Man Ray.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:01 AM   #355
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
This line will die before the third wave.
If they stick to a single turtle per wave I'd be surprised if they didn't get through four waves. And if it does crash and burn by wave 2, I sure hope Usagi's position has been secured for the next wave.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:06 AM   #356
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
I honestly don't understand the price complaint. Are these people who have only started making money, and being asked to part with their significant disposable income for the first time? These are collectible figures from a boutique company. They're niche. They cost money. More money than mass-produced toys for kids, like what you get from Playmates. Welcome to the grown-ups' table.
I do think these could be a hair cheaper, but yeah, that's how it goes. Assuming the quality control is on point, this is perfectly fair pricing in the adult collector market for decently articulated, fully painted figures, with multiple accessories & swap-out parts. Anybody who dips their toes in the Japanese goods pool for stuff like Figma, Figuarts, etc, knows this all too well.

But, I think because this product is so niche, it's drawing attention from casual fans whose only foray into TMNT collecting is holding onto, or newly seeking out, the toys of their childhood. Loose fodder they can, for the most part, buy in cheap (relatively), loose lots. Guys with no finger on the pulse of the "adult" scene. Doesn't surprise me one iota.

Anyway, they look pretty dope, but I dunno it's a line I want to really commit to. They're so close in likeness to the OG's that they sorta feel redundant, I guess? Don't mean that as a knock to Super 7 by any means, they nailed what they were going for, they look great. I just don't have the space or dough. I would like to have just the turtles themselves, perhaps. Maybe a few select others down the line, assuming they revisit some of my favorite sculpts, like Muckman & Scumbug.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:18 AM   #357
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
The problem some collectors on this board and other boards like the ToyArk and Toy News International one have with these is:

- The character selection

- Likenesses aren’t near perfect for some figures like the Foot Soldier and Splinter

- Raph’s head looks bigger than even the soft head figure from 1988

- Weapon racks instead of non-sprue weapons

- It doesn’t look like there will be any added inserts or mail-away promotions.

- Only two figures out of the whole 1st wave were given the best accessories (Baxter and Raph) and those weren’t the ones included with the original action figures.

- Extra heads aren’t included with Foot Soldier, Baxter, and Splinter

- The NECA stuff (especially the 1990 movie figures) looks better (not my words)

- Is it Ultimate figures of the original Playmates toy line characters or will others from other continuities be made?

- The packaging might not be as good as the 1988 and 1989 originals

- The lineup isn’t available for the waves after the 1st wave

- Some FW cartoon versions of the characters look better than the original toys (Splinter)

Last edited by mikey0; 09-29-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:21 AM   #358
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Low production runs or not, these don't look any better than the $25/apiece NECA figures IMO. They're targeting a different aesthetic, yes (80's Playmates vs 80's cartoon) but they're a similar scale, look to have the same amount of articulation, and are a similar style. They do come with more accessories but spending an extra $20 for two pair of hands, a slice of pizza, and an extra weapon is a tough pill to swallow.

Personally I think a lot of the collectors that think $45 for an action figure is ok are too deep in the hobby. For example, I love Lego. I've been buying big Lego sets for years and years, and they keep getting more expensive. A new set would come out with a $350 price tag and I'd think "oh, that's not too bad!". Actually, self, that's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a toy. Yes, it is an exceptionally finely engineered toy with a lot of production costs associated with it but at the end of the day, it's still a toy. $350 for a TOY. I'm a grown-up (and have sat at the grown-up table for a long time, thank you very much) with many other demands on my money and spending big bucks on plastic entertainment is starting to feel more and more ridiculous.

Having said that... I'm probably going to buy one. I was extremely excited for this line and I just have to see what I think of them in-hand. I've got quite a few MOTUC and those are just ridiculously cool. If these can capture that same childhood/modern crossover magic then I'll have to grab a few. There's no way I can go all-in at $45 but for specific characters I'll likely bite.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:37 AM   #359
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
I definitely want Usagi (I'd actually get two to keep one carded).

Then the Triceraton and Man Ray.
The best figures in the original Playmates line were in the 1988 and 1989 basic assortments. Depending on who you ask, some 1990 figure were exceptional, also. I was surprised to see one of the 1991 basic wave figures on the most wanted TMNTU list on The Fwoosh.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:38 AM   #360
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The best figures in the original Playmates line were in the 1988 and 1989 basic assortments. Depending on who you ask, some 1990 figure were exceptional, also. I was surprised to see one of the 1991 basic wave figures on the most wanted TMNTU list on The Fwoosh.
You were surprised that not everyone everywhere shared your exact opinion?
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote