The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 03-06-2017, 07:57 PM   #21
snake
Disgusting

I'm with you man, I love the episodes about consoles or accessories.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:04 PM   #22
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I like James Rolfe. He seems so humble and hated all the hate he got regarding his stance on the newer Ghostbuster film and why he didn’t have an interest in seeing it and that he wasn’t going to review it, despite many people requesting it. I also didn’t know his daughter had been sick. What was her ailment?

So yeah, I like his Nerd videos and was watching his videos when he was still the Angry Nintendo Nerd. Not sure what my first video was, but I did find him entertaining. My fav Nerd eps tend to focus around eps on actual gaming systems, like the Sega CD/32X and the Atari Jaguar are a couple of examples. I also like how he gives information on what he may review, so yeah.

I watch his other stuff too, occasionally. One thing he used to have on his site years ago, was this type of history of Batman thing…onscreen stuff, which included information about the 1940s serials. Wish it was still there. It was very well-informed, imo.

Let’s see, the only negative about his nerd persona is the gross-out humor, which I’ve never been particularly a fan of in general. Even as a kid, I couldn’t tolerate stuff like Ren & Stimpy after a certain point because it was too gross for me. One review, that I know of, that I have never been able to get through, is his Toxic Avenger one. It was too crude for my tastes I guess.

Oh, one review that comes to mind that I do find pretty hilarious, mainly because the game actually exists, is the Hong Kong 97 review. IMO, that wasn’t the AVGN, that was just James being James. lol
The onyl instance I remember James getting some flack was in that time where he and Mike promoted someone else's kickstarter campaign or wtv it was and that guy turned out to be a scammer in the end. I dunno, it was some years ago already and I never bothered to research much about that controversy. Someone else enlighten me, please.

Well I didn't watch the newer Ghostbusters either. Doesn't appeal me. I wonder how James felt about Bay Turtles tho. James really likes the Turtles but, from what I gather, he's pretty much a FW and movie fan only.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #23
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I'm with you man, I love the episodes about consoles or accessories.
Yeah, I always find those interesting. For instance, I remembered the 32x, but didn’t know anyone who had one. It was crazy that Sega even released it so close to the launch of the Sega Saturn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The onyl instance I remember James getting some flack was in that time where he and Mike promoted someone else's kickstarter campaign or wtv it was and that guy turned out to be a scammer in the end. I dunno, it was some years ago already and I never bothered to research much about that controversy. Someone else enlighten me, please.

Well I didn't watch the newer Ghostbusters either. Doesn't appeal me. I wonder how James felt about Bay Turtles tho. James really likes the Turtles but, from what I gather, he's pretty much a FW and movie fan only.
Last year, he made a video telling his fans that he wasn’t going to watch or review the 2016 Ghostbusters film and gave reasons why he wasn’t going to see it. People pretty much called him sexist, was attacked by Sony, and stuff like that and it even made the actual news. The majority of what he said was the main reason why I had no interest in seeing it. The thing is, he didn’t mention gender at all, practically. He compared it to the Force Awakens and was pretty much saying that he would prefer a pass the torch type set up, like Star Wars did with the Force Awakens. That’s what I wanted.

As for the Bay Turtle films, he’s seen them. As a matter of fact, he did two crossovers with the Nostalgia Critic as the AVGN for both films. The second crossover was between him, Nostalgia Critic, and Black Nerd.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #24
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Yeah, I always find those interesting. For instance, I remembered the 32x, but didn’t know anyone who had one. It was crazy that Sega even released it so close to the launch of the Sega Saturn.
Last year, he made a video telling his fans that he wasn’t going to watch or review the 2016 Ghostbusters film and gave reasons why he wasn’t going to see it. People pretty much called him sexist, was attacked by Sony, and stuff like that and it even made the actual news. The majority of what he said was the main reason why I had no interest in seeing it. The thing is, he didn’t mention gender at all, practically. He compared it to the Force Awakens and was pretty much saying that he would prefer a pass the torch type set up, like Star Wars did with the Force Awakens. That’s what I wanted.

As for the Bay Turtle films, he’s seen them. As a matter of fact, he did two crossovers with the Nostalgia Critic as the AVGN for both films. The second crossover was between him, Nostalgia Critic, and Black Nerd.
So I just finished watching his video where he talks about the Ghostbusters movie and... it's totally sensible. Really? That video of his generated a lot of backlash? Wow people get butthurt so easily nowadays.

And yes, the idea behind this new Ghostbusters movie was ridiculous from the start. As if anyone asked for it in the first place. I wouldn't want to watch a Sailor Moon anime with an entirely male cast either.

Does this mean we might see an all-female TMNT movie one day? Now that would kill this forum for good.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:01 PM   #25
Wildcat
Foot Elite

If he had no interest seeing it that's fine but to make a video just to say "I refuse to see it etc..." was obviously just done to hate on it.

Out of everything he's reviewed Ghostbusters '16 is the one thing he refuses?

He even posted a DVD review of the cartoon the day the movie released. I mean come on.

It takes more effort to show you're ignoring something than it is to just ignore it.

I liked the movie but I would have preferred he make fun of it in a review instead acting all dumb. He did both Turtles movies.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #26
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
So I just finished watching his video where he talks about the Ghostbusters movie and... it's totally sensible. Really? That video of his generated a lot of backlash? Wow people get butthurt so easily nowadays.

And yes, the idea behind this new Ghostbusters movie was ridiculous from the start. As if anyone asked for it in the first place. I wouldn't want to watch a Sailor Moon anime with an entirely male cast either.

Does this mean we might see an all-female TMNT movie one day? Now that would kill this forum for good.
Yeah, he got a lot of backlash, and as mentioned, this even made the news. People were attacking him and his wife, iirc. It was absolutely ridiculous. He didn’t mention gender, he was talking about the concept of the film’s existence. I don’t feel he had a problem with them being all women, just the set up and stuff he had a problem with. They had Ernie Hudson in this film playing the uncle of black lady (sorry, don’t recall her name). Why not have all of the former Ghostbusters make appearances as themselves? The blonde could’ve been Egon and Janette’s kid. Seriously, so much potential to start a new series of Ghostbusters films, like they’re doing with Star Wars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
If he had no interest seeing it that's fine but to make a video just to say "I refuse to see it etc..." was obviously just done to hate on it.

Out of everything he's reviewed Ghostbusters '16 is the one thing he refuses?
Why not? He said himself that he’d been receiving many requests to review the film. It was easier to just make a video saying why he wasn’t planning on seeing it than to probably post it on his site. He didn’t really say or do anything wrong here and I don’t see how it was “hating on the film”. NC, as Doug, has done a video about films he said he’ll never review, so how is this any different?
Quote:
I liked the movie but I would have preferred he make fun of it in a review instead acting all dumb. He did both Turtles movies.
But why should he review something he actually had no interest in? That was the point of the video he made and to keep people from constantly sending him messages and requests to go see/review it. He gave his reasons and then did a Ghostbusters retrospect of what he liked about the original film and the other scrapped movie projects after the second film. I honestly don’t see how he did anything wrong and stuff or why people would get offended by it.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #27
Wildcat
Foot Elite

@ssjup81,

I don't know if he was flooded with requests or what Doug Walker has purposely avoided but all James needed to do was state he was not interested in seeing a Ghostbusters reboot.

Posting a lengthy explanation and GB cartoon reviews the day it opened was obviously done to "throw shade" at the new movie.

Like I said...it takes more effort to show you're ignoring something than it is to just ignore it. Especially considering all the other "crap" he's reviewed (no I don't think he's being sexist just hating)
Old 03-08-2017, 05:51 PM   #28
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Big fan. I watch Cinemassacre on a near-daily basis. I leave the AVGN season uploads on autoplay the way most people watch Netflix. I especially enjoy James and Mike Mondays. I look forward to those.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #29
Prowler
Emperor

New AVGN episode came out a few days ago. Powerangers games. Pretty fun episode even if he didn't go crazy on it.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:59 PM   #30
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
New AVGN episode came out a few days ago. Powerangers games. Pretty fun episode even if he didn't go crazy on it.
"Angry Nintendo Nerd!"

"Atari Nerd!"

"Sega Nerd!"

"Playstation Nerd!"

"Tiger Electronic Wrist Watch Game Nerd!" I died at this.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #31
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
"Angry Nintendo Nerd!"

"Atari Nerd!"

"Sega Nerd!"

"Playstation Nerd!"

"Tiger Electronic Wrist Watch Game Nerd!" I died at this.
And him trying to sing a song in Japanese.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #32
Tyma
Random Punk

It's hard to imagine would Youtube would be like without AVGN. He's one of the pioneers, and definately one of the 'good guys'.

He did a lot of TMNT coverage in his early videos, as well. I remember he did a few in-depth videos of the Fred Wolf cartoon, and a video or two covering the Turtles' pop culture boom.

I wonder what he thinks of the current Turtles' output?
Tyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #33
The Deadman
Foot Elite

I like his short horror film reviews, especially the Top 40 Sh*tty Shark Movies. That was his best countdown video by far.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:32 PM   #34
sdp
-

The new video is about Sonic the Hedgehog 2006...When AVGN started that game was a current gen game.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:54 AM   #35
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I thought he was really gonna rip it apart. It was nice to see he acknowledged it was playable but just littered with annoyances.

I've played the whole game and it's not nearly as outrageously broken as people say. I don't even think certain glitches happen unless you force them.

I've seen a play through where the person just glitched his way through stages. I have no idea how as I played it normally.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:18 AM   #36
Shark_Blade
Emperor

It's playable but I detest the looooooooooooooooonnnnnggggg loading times. I can literally read a book whilst waiting it to load. And it has loads of places to load like a segment of dialogue when talking to people, different place, levels etc.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:38 PM   #37
Turo602
The King of Kings

I honestly don't know how I ever managed to beat that game. I don't know if people make the game seem a lot worse than it really is, but I do remember it being really frustrating very often. How I tolerated the loading, sh*tty design, and glitches is beyond me.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #38
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

The video was still a blast to watch, though. I loved this one.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #39
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The new video is about Sonic the Hedgehog 2006...When AVGN started that game was a current gen game.
Yeah same for Mega Man X6 and X7.

Funny thing is, James and Mike played Sonic 2006 sometime ago, and people were asking James to review the game as AVGN someday.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #40
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

I like when he talks memories of older consoles, like NES and Super NES.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sumac vs leo656