The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-04-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Why Rise Splinter is the most layered Splinter out of the animated adaptions

Rise Splinter went on a very interesting character arc this season, going from my least favorite incarnation of the character and worst written person on the show to pretty much one of my favorite animated adaption of the character rivaling Hoon Lee's Splinter from 2k12 and the reason for it is not just his development as a character but how layered he is and how his worst aspects in the beginning of the series actually makes him even more well written in Hinsight.

For those who don't know this Splinter or Hamato Yoshi came from a ninja clan that was dedicated to making sure that remnants of the Foot Clan don't complete the Shredder armor that can basically revived a demonic Shredder that can unless untold destruction on humanity but instead of following his clan's traditions he decided to become a movie star under the name Lou Jitsus. As Lou Jitsu Splinter was pretty much an A-List celebrity complete with having his own videogame, cereal, christmas album, dating numerous of actresses and models(Like Krystal Yistal)and racing fast cars. All of this however stopped when he met a Teamster by the name of Big Mama who he fell madly in love with to the point of asking her to marry him(keep in mind Lou is a famous movie star but out of the models and actress he dated he chose a teamster for her hand in marriage) but unbeknownst to Splinter it turned out Big Mom was a yokai who led an underground death arena by the name of Battle Nexus where he was forced to compete against his will, it wasn't too bad at first Lou/Yoshi did enjoy the crowd chanting his name and even got a cute catgirl flustered but over the course of years Lou for some reason gave up fighting and wanted to spend his remaining years as pacifist. Years later he was later busted out by Draxum's gargoyles and was experimented on by Draxum himself to create Yokai that would take over the Earth. Lou/Yoshi would halt the experiment so this turtles wouldn't become instruments of war and instead of powerful Yokai we got the Turtles you know today and Lou/Yoshi getting turned into Splinter.

So yeah long retrospective but I wanted to dissect some things, remember how I said that Splinter's worst aspects in the beginning of the series makes him an even better written character in hindsight well lets look at some things. The reason why this Splinter isn't eager to train his sons to become strong ninjas compared to other installments because not only he was tired of fighting but he himself halted the process of them being turned into Draxum's pawns for conquest. Another thing is that out of the animated incarnation this Splinter lost the most when he transformed into a Rat, remember how much I told you how popular Splinter was as a movie star well imagine all that just crashing down when you were held captive by the woman you loved and imagine it getting worse when you got turned into a rat mutant/yokai and had to hide underground in the sewer. Say what you will about most has been movie stars but at least they can sign autographs and get free food but Splinter pretty much has none of that and most people think he is dead or missing. Looking back it kinda turns his quirks from earlier episodes into a tragic characteristic in that he is a man who lost everything and the only way to reclaim any sort of glory is watching his old movies sort of like a big time HS football player who peaked after and is just re watching plays of where he scored 4 touchdowns in a single game.

I keep mentioning the early episodes but one thing I notice during my re watch is that during the beginning of the series Splinter usually has his eyes closed and looks disinterested but during the episode "The Fast and the Furry" we seem him talking about a dumb restaurant concept but we truly see him emote when he said that his sons think it was dumb, we see something similar in Ms.Cuddles when he told the rabbit she made a powerful enemy after messing with his T.V time and harming his family. Funny enough he is also the most cultured as seen in "Al Be Back" he was singing Vesti La Giubba which can be seen as a one off gag but if you know the context of the aria it actually kinda foreshadows Splinter's backstory and relationship with Big Mom(also I kinda find it funny how the Splinter who would most likely name his sons after Renaissance painters only refer to the turtles as colors or shorted names.)

So yeah that's my Ted Talk on why I consider Rise Splinter to be the most layered and well written Splinter in all of the animated incarnations, he aint going to win "Most Compatible with the Source Material" award but for a Splinter that does his own thing, I say its executed pretty well.

Last edited by PApagreg; 12-04-2019 at 04:02 PM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

I haven't seen much of this Splinter besides the early eps where all he did was eat and sleep in front of the TV, but I guess I'll take your word for it.

But Nick's 2012 Splinter was excellent and had the best characterisation for an animated Splinter, so I think that will be hard to top for me.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #3
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I haven't seen much of this Splinter besides the early eps where all he did was eat and sleep in front of the TV, but I guess I'll take your word for it.

But Nick's 2012 Splinter was excellent and had the best characterisation for an animated Splinter, so I think that will be hard to top for me.
Did you at least read my post on why.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

How many layers of fat does he have?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:57 PM   #5
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I agree with Cubed (shocking I know) nobody can top Hoon Lee Splinter. He is the best splinter of any version.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
sdp
-

2012 Splinter rubbed me the wrong way, never liked him.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:38 PM   #7
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

I can understand most of these points and it does make him "better" in hindsight but I still hate his personality and the way he talks to the turtles. But I can UNDERSTAND him. I realized this stuff about him the very first time we saw him as a human in the battle nexus, that flashback bit. I figured the only way they could justify Splinter being such a dick is if he was a human and had lost everything. If I'm understanding your post correctly, I also do appreciate the idea that this Splinter thinks its a better idea to hide forever instead of training for revenge. That's at least a different take.

But the jackass in me doesn't really see how this Splinter's backstory is any more tragic than 2012 Splinter who lost his wife and his daughter in one fell swoop.

I know you're not trying to imply that being a celebrity is better than being an honest family man. But I suppose if this Splinter is a vain person, losing a celebrity career is something that would severely depress you. Well screw it getting turned into a rat would severely depress anyone.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!

Last edited by Dejablue; 12-04-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:49 PM   #8
TommyT
Banned

Reported for Trolling. This is getting obnoxious.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:08 PM   #9
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Reported for Trolling. This is getting obnoxious.
I know you can't be serious. Don't be daft.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:13 PM   #10
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
I can understand most of these points and it does make him "better" in hindsight but I still hate his personality and the way he talks to the turtles. But I can UNDERSTAND him. I realized this stuff about him the very first time we saw him as a human in the battle nexus, that flashback bit. I figured the only way they could justify Splinter being such a dick is if he was a human and had lost everything. If I'm understanding your post correctly, I also do appreciate the idea that this Splinter thinks its a better idea to hide forever instead of training for revenge. That's at least a different take.
Like I said he gets MUCH better as a character and his love for his sons does show in numerous of episodes.

Quote:
But the jackass in me doesn't really see how this Splinter's backstory is any more tragic than 2012 Splinter who lost his wife and his daughter in one fell swoop.
Its not so much as more tragic but its the fact that Rise Splinter lost more after turning into a rat and 2k12 Spliinter lost more from the Shredder/Saki

Quote:
I know you can't be serious. Don't be daft.
He's a troll don't worry about him.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:53 AM   #11
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Having read your post thoroughly, let me bring forth a real life example of a guy who used to be a rock star and lost it all and is now wallowing in his own past glories.

This is Vincent Cusano, AKA Vinnie Vincent and as this picture shows he came to fame by being a member of one of the most famous metal bands of all time.

Kiss in the early eighties from left to right: Eric Carr, Paul Stanley, Vinnie Vincent and Gene Simmons.

Having Vinnie in the band meant a resurgence for Kiss because Vinnie was really good at doing THIS.

And with two very strong albums in "Creatures of the night" and "Lick it up" made that Kiss had firmly reestablished themselves in the eighties Metal landscape.

But when Kiss went on tour to support those albums they quickly found that they made a mistake having Vinnie in their fold. Because, look at the logistics which come with doing a tour:
- You have to hire truckers to move the entire thing from city to city during the tour
- You have to hire a crew to build the stage
- You have to hire sound crew to make sure the shows sound good every night
- You have to hire special effects people to make sure the pyrotechnics of a show will work as they should every single night. (Certainly for a band like Kiss, that's their bread and butter right there.)
- You have to hire promoters to make sure the venues can be booked.
AND
- You have to make sure that every single one of those people hired is insured, because should a calamity happen to that said person, medical bills would be taken care off by the insurance company.

So every single member of the tour crew (Which includes the band members themselves) has to sign a contract which in return means:
- That they will be insured during that said tour.
- Will receive proper payment for their services for the full duration of that tour.
- Will be properly taken care of, have a bed to sleep in and enough to eat during the tour.

Vinnie let his contract expire which meant that the band was basically touring with an uninsured employee and basically had to pay for hotel stays out of their own pockets but that wasn't the biggest issue. THIS was...

As I pointed out earlier, a Kiss show is a well planned out event, it HAS to be. But Vinnie's solos became longer and longer, screwing up the tightly rehearsed timeline of the show and after coming near blows with Paul Stanley one night, Vinnie was shown the door.

Paul Stanley recounting that tour.

Refusing to renew his contract quickly led to another problem for Vinnie, when he tried to sue the band's management for unpaid royalties for the albums he was involved with, the accountants put forth the papers which showed that Vinnie had been paid accordingly when his contract was valid and since he failed to renew his contract, the band didn't owe him a single dime.

So Vinnie was out but his tenure with Kiss wasn't for nothing, plenty of people wanted to work with this hot-shot guitarist, resulting in a multi million dollars deal with Chrysalis records and a band called the Vinnie Vincent Invasion but...

The band itself was just as big a train wreck as this video is. Eventually Vinnie was fired by his own band mates.

During the nineties Vinnie became a recluse, sometimes he popped up on Kiss conventions where he was pretty surprised by the fact that people actually were glad to see him.

Notice something off with his playing?
Anyway, he announced at those appearances that he was doing a Vinnie Vincent Boxset which would include rare demos, outtakes and unreleased material, there were plenty of people paying in advance to have that boxset, Vinnie was all too happy to take their money...and run.

Anyway, a few years ago, his name once again came up when he was evicted from his house when people complained about bad smell and he was arrested for domestic abuse. So there was little chance this fallen Rock star would ever be on his feet again. Right?

Wrong.

In early 2018, Vinnie once again showed up at a Kiss convention, where he had a meet and greet with the fans, played some acoustic stuff and basically acted the hero who had returned from the brink. But as questions about the Boxsets were brought up, it was quickly revealed that very little has changed...

The rest of 2018 was filled with news of him slagging off his former band mates, getting come back shows together and after people paid for them, canceling them. Losing the rights to wear his own make up design and so as an "Up yours" message to Kiss' management he began to wear a slight variation.

It's now a Christianity cross rather than an Ankh

And all the while telling people "Just you wait, when I DO hit that stage again, I will show you guys that I still got it!" so when in November 2018 he indeed got on stage, people were going "We have given you the benefit of the doubt, now prove to us that our faith is justified."

He IS a veteran of the professional rock circuit, he KNOWS the deal, so why didn't he at least make sure his guitar was IN TUNE before he hit the stage?

Now a full year later, he has continued to make a fool out of himself, apparently not understanding why people are tired of him.

THIS could have been Rise-Splinter, luckily for Splinter, he's not Vinnie Vincent.

Last edited by The Great Saiyaman; 12-05-2019 at 06:04 AM.
The Great Saiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:38 AM   #12
rickwj324
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
I agree with Cubed (shocking I know) nobody can top Hoon Lee Splinter. He is the best splinter of any version.
I agree with both of you! 2012's Splinter is the best incarnation for sure. I'm a grown man and I absolutely shed a tear when he died. The Nick TMNT characters are truly loved by me and my son. I'd give anything to have a continuation of that show.
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 04:10 PM   #13
Hockey Boy
Random Punk

Noooooo, 2012 Splinter was the most layered!
Beating the **** out of his sons for nothing and battling this incel thats pissed he dated a girl he liked is such such layers
Can’t believe people say hes the best.
-Purple Dra-Gons, come out and Pla-ay!- 2003
-And Im sayin - Make me.- 2011
-Casey Jones shoots - He scores!- 2012
-Hey, fellas!Remember me?- 2016
-id start running if I were you!- 2018
Hockey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:15 PM   #14
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Boy View Post
Noooooo, 2012 Splinter was the most layered!
Beating the **** out of his sons for nothing and battling this incel thats pissed he dated a girl he liked is such such layers
Can’t believe people say hes the best.
Don't worry. This is a troll thread. The OP is a Nick sock puppet, not sure which talent-less hack they are, but they are pulling a Zack Snyder, and trying to get their old gig back.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:28 AM   #16
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Rise Splinter went on a very interesting character arc this season, going from my least favorite incarnation of the character and worst written person on the show to pretty much one of my favorite animated adaption of the character rivaling Hoon Lee's Splinter from 2k12 and the reason for it is not just his development as a character but how layered he is and how his worst aspects in the beginning of the series actually makes him even more well written in Hinsight.

For those who don't know this Splinter or Hamato Yoshi came from a ninja clan that was dedicated to making sure that remnants of the Foot Clan don't complete the Shredder armor that can basically revived a demonic Shredder that can unless untold destruction on humanity but instead of following his clan's traditions he decided to become a movie star under the name Lou Jitsus. As Lou Jitsu Splinter was pretty much an A-List celebrity complete with having his own videogame, cereal, christmas album, dating numerous of actresses and models(Like Krystal Yistal)and racing fast cars. All of this however stopped when he met a Teamster by the name of Big Mama who he fell madly in love with to the point of asking her to marry him(keep in mind Lou is a famous movie star but out of the models and actress he dated he chose a teamster for her hand in marriage) but unbeknownst to Splinter it turned out Big Mom was a yokai who led an underground death arena by the name of Battle Nexus where he was forced to compete against his will, it wasn't too bad at first Lou/Yoshi did enjoy the crowd chanting his name and even got a cute catgirl flustered but over the course of years Lou for some reason gave up fighting and wanted to spend his remaining years as pacifist. Years later he was later busted out by Draxum's gargoyles and was experimented on by Draxum himself to create Yokai that would take over the Earth. Lou/Yoshi would halt the experiment so this turtles wouldn't become instruments of war and instead of powerful Yokai we got the Turtles you know today and Lou/Yoshi getting turned into Splinter.

So yeah long retrospective but I wanted to dissect some things, remember how I said that Splinter's worst aspects in the beginning of the series makes him an even better written character in hindsight well lets look at some things. The reason why this Splinter isn't eager to train his sons to become strong ninjas compared to other installments because not only he was tired of fighting but he himself halted the process of them being turned into Draxum's pawns for conquest. Another thing is that out of the animated incarnation this Splinter lost the most when he transformed into a Rat, remember how much I told you how popular Splinter was as a movie star well imagine all that just crashing down when you were held captive by the woman you loved and imagine it getting worse when you got turned into a rat mutant/yokai and had to hide underground in the sewer. Say what you will about most has been movie stars but at least they can sign autographs and get free food but Splinter pretty much has none of that and most people think he is dead or missing. Looking back it kinda turns his quirks from earlier episodes into a tragic characteristic in that he is a man who lost everything and the only way to reclaim any sort of glory is watching his old movies sort of like a big time HS football player who peaked after and is just re watching plays of where he scored 4 touchdowns in a single game.

I keep mentioning the early episodes but one thing I notice during my re watch is that during the beginning of the series Splinter usually has his eyes closed and looks disinterested but during the episode "The Fast and the Furry" we seem him talking about a dumb restaurant concept but we truly see him emote when he said that his sons think it was dumb, we see something similar in Ms.Cuddles when he told the rabbit she made a powerful enemy after messing with his T.V time and harming his family. Funny enough he is also the most cultured as seen in "Al Be Back" he was singing Vesti La Giubba which can be seen as a one off gag but if you know the context of the aria it actually kinda foreshadows Splinter's backstory and relationship with Big Mom(also I kinda find it funny how the Splinter who would most likely name his sons after Renaissance painters only refer to the turtles as colors or shorted names.)

So yeah that's my Ted Talk on why I consider Rise Splinter to be the most layered and well written Splinter in all of the animated incarnations, he aint going to win "Most Compatible with the Source Material" award but for a Splinter that does his own thing, I say its executed pretty well.
By looking at your signature it makes me want to see him in the cartoon!

If I could...

VICTORY!"
D-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:39 AM   #17
Jazzfox
Thug

Y'know?

Splinter has always been a long favorite of mine, and I find it hard to pick any one incarnation as a solid 'best Splinter' for me

It was actually seeing what Rise did with their incarnation of Splinter that really turned me off to the show to begin with, it took a while for me to really give the show any chances =o

But whilst I doubt I'll ever consider Rise Splinter as best Splinter, I appreciate some of the depth they looked to give Splinter and some real inner conflict over raising his sons

Maybe it's just because I had lower expectations for Rise, but, I am happy to say it's nice to have some new appreciation on Rise Splinter, so, thanks PPG for coming up for this hot take =B

(Please excuse any long time in replies, sometimes offline for long periods!)
Jazzfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:12 PM   #18
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
2012 Splinter rubbed me the wrong way, never liked him.
Could you give a reason why? I am genuinely curious as to your reasons.

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:30 PM   #19
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Like I said he gets MUCH better as a character and his love for his sons does show in numerous of episodes.
Indeed, he loves his sons deep down, even if he has difficulty expressing it to them directly.

"Lou-Jitsu cares for you in many ways".

That was a touching quote from him in the Evil League of Mutants episode.

Though I thought the turtles were a bit too harsh on him after that scene, at least they all made up together in the end (and it's hilarious how the turtles didn't even put two and two together about Splinter being Lou Jitsu )
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:47 PM   #20
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ray View Post
By looking at your signature it makes me want to see him in the cartoon!

If I could...
Funny enough I thought I still had the April and Donnie gif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Ninja View Post
Could you give a reason why? I am genuinely curious as to your reasons.
For me personally I didn't like how un proactive he was when dealing with Shredder, its telling when Rise Splinter is more proactive than him and he is the lazy Splinter.