The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 02-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #81
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Right?
What's the weather like inside yours?

You go from shouting down SJWs to complaining about how they censor other people. Does shifting gears that quickly give you whiplash?
Well it's true about SJWs. SJWs are for diversity, except when it comes to diversity of thought. ...And clearly your oversensitivity in saying that I'm "shouting" when I presented another point of view of criticism, says more about yourself than me. Triggered?

Quote:
Oh yes, the big badlefties are coming for you.
They're coming for your soul!
Look out! They're right behind you!

CLUTCH YOUR PEARLS!
When a leftist culture and a government make others force to do things against their religion and rules against freedom of speech, then what do you call it then?

...But by all means continue to insulate yourself in your safe space, as I can see how easily triggered you can become.

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 02-10-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #82
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
Well it's true about SJWs. SJWs are for diversity, except when it comes to diversity of thought. ...And clearly your oversensitivity in saying that I'm "shouting" when I presented another point of view of criticism, says more about yourself than me. Triggered?
You're confusing tolerance for approval again.
I know the two are often conflated, but... they don't mean the same thing.

And no, I'm not triggered.
I'd say you'd know if I was, but considering you'll never get close enough to me to see it the point would be moot.

Quote:
...But by all means continue to insulate yourself in your safe space, as I can see how easily triggered you can become.
Dude, again.
You haven't seen me triggered.
You likely won't ever see me triggered.

As for safe spaces, that's really all people who rail about PC culture are whining about.
They want the world to be their safe space.
They don't want to hear people talk about things that don't benefit them directly.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.

Last edited by plastroncafe; 02-10-2017 at 09:48 PM.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:21 PM   #83
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
Triggered?

Quote:
The Twilight Saga was heavily influenced by the beliefs of the Church of Latter Day Saints.
My ex and his family weren't Latter Day Saints, though. They were Mega Church™ evangelicals. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't care for the ideals of LDS members either.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 02-10-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:54 AM   #84
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
What do you think they'd be attacked for?
Fantasy and fairytales in general is usually a main-target for such attacks.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:34 AM   #85
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I've only seen unironic complaints about Pokemon promoting animal abuse and cockfighting by PETA, and screw those terrorists supporters.
PETA will go after anything that gets them in the news. They took a swipe at Super Mario Bros. a couple of years ago, asserting that the Tanooki Suit promoted the fur trade in some way.

They said they were trying to raise awareness of the plight of the Japanese Raccoon Dog, and publicly denouncing Mario's wardrobe was a clever way to do it. The thing is though, they did it around the same time that a new Mario game was coming out, and I don't recall PETA saying much about Japanese Raccoon Dogs before, so I suspect they just wanted to hijack some publicity for themselves.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:47 PM   #86
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Not really, thought. The Pokemon is all aboard having a trainer and getting stronger together, even down to jealously attacking other Pokemon with owners.
I mean, isn't the poor fight dog also "all aboard" with killing smaller practice dogs and fighting other dogs once trained to do so?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:20 PM   #87
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Ninja View Post
I never cared for how some of my really old Rankin Bass movies sometimes got censored when it made its conversion to DVD. Not very censored but Smal things would get edited out. Like the oh so mild swear word "damn" would be muted. Like in the last unicorn the word damn was used a handful of times and the were all taken out. Same with the secret of nymn, damn was removed from the DVD version. It's funny that these old movies had both content and mild language in it that was considered OK to be put into a kids film at one point but down the road it's is taken out.

Oddly enough I recently rewatched both Last Unicorn and NIHM and noticed that too. I found it strange, to say the least, as they were still in the old VHS copies I have. It was especially obvious when Lear says it while trying to get the rhyme for his poem to Amalthea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post

This was the "BIG" target in the 80's. Anything fantasy was considered evil and Satanic. Apparently it goes back to a lot of the artwork and creature/villain lore from fantasy gaming. (One of the original game books for D&D features a group of adventurers stealing a large ruby from a huge idol of a demon. And parents and religious groups decried this cover art as promoting devil worship??!!) The funny part is that most such games and stories are based off of Tolkein's works, which were in turn influenced by Norse, Celtic and Greek mythology. Yet C.S. Lewis did much the same, but put Christian overtones on it and most people didn't bat an eye.....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:55 PM   #88
Overlord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnjdq32u-MU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n32J3y5e1f8

No mutch change within 30 years...
Old 02-16-2017, 04:06 AM   #89
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
True, apparently some ultra Conservative Christians boycotted the Narnia books due to magic which is ironic. Those books are so religious that my church actually went to see The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe when it came out in cinemas.

Like, are they serious? Even as a kid I could understand the religious imagery (including the anti-Islam sentiments which always made me feel uncomfortable even though I enjoyed the series as a whole).
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:41 AM   #90
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisKosh View Post
True, apparently some ultra Conservative Christians boycotted the Narnia books due to magic which is ironic. Those books are so religious that my church actually went to see The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe when it came out in cinemas.

Like, are they serious? Even as a kid I could understand the religious imagery (including the anti-Islam sentiments which always made me feel uncomfortable even though I enjoyed the series as a whole).
C.S. Lewis happened to be a devout Christian.

One of my friends, who's also a devout Christian, avoids Harry Potter like the plague, and even told me that she was even debating whether to read Lord of the Rings. J.R.R. Tolkien was also a devout Christian, and I told her that. I guess that's what made it believe it would be okay to read the books.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:44 AM   #91
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
C.S. Lewis happened to be a devout Christian.

One of my friends, who's also a devout Christian, avoids Harry Potter like the plague, and even told me that she was even debating whether to read Lord of the Rings. J.R.R. Tolkien was also a devout Christian, and I told her that. I guess that's what made it believe it would be okay to read the books.
That's good, to be honest, even if they were anti-Christian, it doesn't mean you can't enjoy them. You don't have to agree with all the content. I certainly do not agree with all the values in the Narnia books regarding the treatment of women and people of colour.

Although his views were progressive for the time and I think media today could learn something from his portrayal of female characters.

As for Harry Potter; the books do have religious symbolism. J.K. Rowling is a Christian and she initially kept quiet about her beliefs out of concern that it would give away the ending. Even one of the popes said that it was positive because the characters do fight evil.

People really need to chill and explore the world beyond their own beliefs.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #92
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

JK Rowling is actually agnostic/atheist.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:29 AM   #93
CyberCubed
Overlord

I vaguely remember some controversy of how "violent" 90's Disney movies were getting, even though they weren't. Like Alladdin, Lion King, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, etc...a lot of them have impalement or implied violence and death.

I guess it was a sharp contrast to Disney movies from the 40's-70's, which while had some action, it was the 90's that started making the movies more action oriented rather than more "fairy tale" like as the older ones.

Also the way the female characters were designed, you can look up articles about Jasmine and Arial in particular, who basically walk around wearing bikini's for half the film. Jasmine's dress in particular has always struck me as showing way too much skin for a Middle Eastern girl.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #94
Overlord

Quote:

Was that the Church of England? (who watched it at cinemas)

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 02-16-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:22 PM   #95
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
JK Rowling is actually agnostic/atheist.
Really? I swear I read somewhere she was a Christian or at very least attended church.

Quote:
Was that the Church of England? (who watched it at cinemas)
Yes.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #96
Overlord

Quote:
Yes.
The Anglican, Lutheran and Roman Catholic churches cover millions of members, many of them baptized as infants, spanning population majorities of entire countries. Many of their members are members more of tradition, never attending services and not active pracitcing their faiths. There's no way those churches can be that strict (except some single members)
Old 02-19-2017, 02:30 PM   #97
Storm Eagle
Saved by

This happened before our time, but I learned that when Twister came out in the late 60s, there was some controversy. Conservative toymakers called it "sex in a box", and Sears didn't even put it in their catalogs.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #98
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
This happened before our time, but I learned that when Twister came out in the late 60s, there was some controversy. Conservative toymakers called it "sex in a box",
That's true though. Twister is basically a game of sex positions.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:54 AM   #99
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
That's true though. Twister is basically a game of sex positions.
Can't be as bad as the vibrating broomstick they brought out. XD