The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 12-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
Casey
Stone Warrior

Does anyone else feel like IDW jumped the shark with issue 38?

I'm sorry but Mondo Gecko and Herman the Hermit Crab? Gimme a break. Those characters don't belong in this universe.

I'm sure this has been discussed in other threads, but I just had to get it off my chest.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

No, Old Hob constantly reminded us he was going to build a mutant army so its no surprise they're coming.

Since "The Mutanimals" are coming, it makes sense to see old favorites like Mondo Gecko returning. I also fully expect to see Man Ray and Wingnut/Screwloose as well, and we know Leatherhead is showing up.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:12 PM   #3
snake
Disgusting

They have a place in my opinion, and they've proven themselves to be pretty damn cool.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

How is it that they "don't belong"? There's always been a wacky assortment of aliens/mutants/etc. They made it clear the book was gonna be that way from the get-go, more or less, & there's a crap-ton of Fred Wolf influence in it. It balances things out by having just as many traditional ninja stories & otherworldly stuff. Everything is blended pretty well, so really, nothing is out of place in this series, as it is a mix of all things past.

Hob's army is awesome. Don't you dare knock Herman.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:17 AM   #5
Tazi
Mad Scientist

Dunno, even Mirage had goofy stuff like that, it does belong to the frenchise, and IDW definitely not overdoing it, ithey're still far away from Nick Tmnt.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:23 AM   #6
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

Mirage had a magic pencil that could create life, crossovers with everyone and their dogs, guest issues that read like drug trips, and the whole thing started as a Daredevil parody. So far IDW has been fairly grounded considering the source material...

And yeah, I've been looking forward to Hob's army for a while. This is a natural evolution of the story that was set up years ago in the run.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:30 AM   #7
ChosenOne
Banned

Nope. If anything, I was hoping for more new mutants in 38 to shake things up.

Tackleberr-- I mean, Herman, and Mondo are pretty damn awesome.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:36 AM   #8
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I feel they very much belongs in this universe. Hob have his resources and it's not far fetched as he wanted an army.

And they are beautifully designed.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:02 AM   #9
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

Originally, a while back when there was some notion and a lot of speculation that the mutanimals were going to enter e story, I was against it. I'm not a fan of the original. However, Tom and crew pulled it off and very well so imo. I mean, could they end up going overboard? Maybe, but I think they will keep it somewhat controlled. These guys know what they're doing.

Herman is pretty frigin cool.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
ToTheNines
[sic]

They fit fairly well. I mean they're a little goofy, especially mondo wearing his Reptile Tendencies shirt lol.

Their unique personalities don't make a ton of sense, but my head-canon is that they're reincarnated humans. While they may or may not remember their past lives, the serum helps their old selves shine through.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

I, for one, take no issue with levity in my comics about anthropomorphic reptiles wearing robber masks who fight ninjas and monsters.

So no, I'm all good with "silly" mutants like Mondo Gecko and Herman the Hermit Crab.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
They fit fairly well. I mean they're a little goofy, especially mondo wearing his Reptile Tendencies shirt lol.

Their unique personalities don't make a ton of sense, but my head-canon is that they're reincarnated humans. While they may or may not remember their past lives, the serum helps their old selves shine through.
Hmm that's an interesting take, I might have to load it into my 'head-canon' as well because I was a little baffled how these brand new sentient animals suddenly had the urges to skateboard (let alone enough time to learn how to be good at it), and know military jargon without any military experience. Their costumes also suspend disbelief a bit. As you said, Mondo's shirts (which I love for their goofiness), are still out of place and kind of break the fourth wall, and how the heck did Herman get all that artillery into a dumpster?

I wonder if they'll address these potential past lives as humans at some point? It will give us a more solid explanation for their characters, but also make the turtles seem a little less special... Does that mean Hob & Slash were reincarnated too? On the contrary, their sentient animal selves are more well-rounded, and they wear street clothes or no clothes. They seem like "regular" animals-turned-humans, and it also falls in line with Hob's ANIMALS ONLY manifesto. Mutagen works in mysterious ways...

So yeah, I still love this series, love the new characters, and it definitely didn't jump the shark. But throwing in 2 new mutants in action-figure-esque costumes whose personalities are little more than stereotypes, maybe... just maybe... it jumped the flounder. But like those have said before, it's Turtles—in the end, anything goes... and as long as its well written and pretty to look at, I'm on board!
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #13
Tazi
Mad Scientist

They jumped the shark with bludgeon (megalol)
Old 12-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #14
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazi View Post
They jumped the shark with bludgeon (megalol)
I was gonna say...

THE SHARK JUMPED US!
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #15
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Hate to pile on, but the OP is pretty much the first person I've seen not like Mondo and Herman. It was actually one of my favorite recent issues.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #16
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Ninja Anole View Post
Hate to pile on, but the OP is pretty much the first person I've seen not like Mondo and Herman. It was actually one of my favorite recent issues.
I am actually with Casey (OP) the book is getting crowded with all these mutants.
Love Herman best design of any of the new characters.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #17
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I am actually with Casey (OP) the book is getting crowded with all these mutants.
Love Herman best design of any of the new characters.
Bobby or Tom said that the book won't be adding new characters for awhile. I can't remember the exact time he said.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #18
neatoman
Emperor

Mondo Gecko... Kind of sucks in concept to be honest, and Herman does feel too much like toy for a character who was not created to be a toy.

But I feel like they have not jumped the shark, Herman proved to be a quite charming character and Mondo at least had some cool powers this time around.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 12-02-2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Really messed up the negative
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

If Man Ray shows up do you think IDW will still write him with Steve Murphy's personality? I wonder if IDW will have a "save the enviornment" issue with Man Ray pledging to stop polluting the oceans and saving the forests.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #20
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
If Man Ray shows up do you think IDW will still write him with Steve Murphy's personality? I wonder if IDW will have a "save the enviornment" issue with Man Ray pledging to stop polluting the oceans and saving the forests.
Murphy was known for going a little overboard with the environmentalism, but is part of what defines Man Ray, soooooo.... Yeah?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
idw