The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 09-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #61
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I didn't like how they kind of Nerfed the Fatalities in Armageddon. I played too much damn Puzzle Kombat, though. I enjoyed how much that game was more like an MK Greatest Hits package than anything.

I thought the DC crossover game was an interesting exercise. I understand how much it annoyed people that it was "neutered" and "PG" and all that but as you said, I dug the story and they had a good cast of characters. It's not perfect, but I'm glad it exists, if for no other reason than it's the kind of game we all talk about wanting to play when we're little kids, and so rarely do those things actually turn out to be real. It needed a little work, but I can't hate on it. Especially since it evolved into Injustice; like literally, if a few more characters in Injustice had their "classic" looks, it'd be perfect, but I guess you can't have everything.
I never played Puzzle Kombat on it but you're right about the fatalities. Didn't seem right. Btw, I meant to say in reply to your previous post that you're right about Sub Zero - freeze an opponent, then uppercut or fly kick him. Rinse and repeat until you win. Way too cheap, but I have done it anyway He is my favourite character in the game though.

That's exactly it. While (as stated) I enjoyed the crossover game on its own merits, we wouldn't have had Injustice without it. That's its true legacy, and why it was really worth the time and effort. What I didn't like about Injustice was the attempt to cash grab with so many expensive DLC characters - I simply never bought them.

Last edited by Davetello; 09-10-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #62
Leo656
The Franchise

I did. And the skins. Just a huge DC mark, couldn't pass it up.

If I hadn't loved the game I might not have bothered.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #63
Davetello
Banned

Quote:

That's what their game was - to be too much to turn down for DC marks. I would have bought them too tbh, just felt they were pretty expensive and I didn't have much money at the time. I don't really see them as that necessary for the game, although I believe they come with S.T.A.R Labs missions so perhaps that justifies their price somewhat.

The game is great though, you're right. Really enjoyed it though the story mode did seem shorter than MK9's.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #64
Sumac
Banned

I like MK more than the other fghter because of the story adn aesthetic. I was immediately hooked by them, because of the sticker album, several years before I played an actual game.

My favorite game in the series is MKDA. Never had any problems with long combos and switching midstyle. On contrary: it was the highest point of the gameplay for me. It was fun and entertaining to use different combos and different styles for different opponents and matches. MKD kind of break this system and was less enjoyable and MKA ruined it completely and clonefest.

I think people hate on this games, because they always have this nostalgia fueled opinion about classic games and MK9 is kind of like classic MK game made in the modern times. It's just hip to hate on the games that were not like classic MK games.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #65
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I also love the MK storyline, more than the games themselves which I don't really care much for. The reboot did somethings right and sometings wrong but then again so has every other MK. I like the fact that X will take so many years in the future since it'll be a breath of fresh air though I am bummed that some of the better DA-A characters never got a chance to redeem themselves since many of them are hated but there are almost as many great/terrible characters ratio as the original trilogy. I also liked they gave the color Ninjas distinctions and gave them more personality/uniqueness.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:32 PM   #66
Wingnut
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I like the fact that X will take so many years in the future since it'll be a breath of fresh air though I am bummed that some of the better DA-A characters never got a chance to redeem themselves since many of them are hated but there are almost as many great/terrible characters ratio as the original trilogy.
That's a bit of a stretch, from a mathematical standpoint.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:45 PM   #67
Slade
god status

Thumbs up

Quote:

Two thumbs way way up
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:48 AM   #68
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
That's a bit of a stretch, from a mathematical standpoint.
Not really.
Some of the old MK characters are considered "awesome" only because they were in the series from the begining. If you go down to it, some of them not really much better, than MK4-MKA newcomers.

I even go so far and say, that a lot of new chars, were more creative than old ones, at least as concepts. They had some sort of theme going on for them. But ultimately they were hampered by bad presentation and gameplay problems. The biggest problem was love of the developers for cornercutting, which led to reusing moves from the old fighters for the new ones, which completely robbed them of any personality and / or originality.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #69
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I also love the MK storyline, more than the games themselves which I don't really care much for. The reboot did somethings right and sometings wrong but then again so has every other MK. I like the fact that X will take so many years in the future since it'll be a breath of fresh air though I am bummed that some of the better DA-A characters never got a chance to redeem themselves since many of them are hated but there are almost as many great/terrible characters ratio as the original trilogy. I also liked they gave the color Ninjas distinctions and gave them more personality/uniqueness.
Good post, yeah I feel the ninjas are a big selling point, especially for those of us who were and are into TMNT.

I too am interested in this storyline set in the future. It will be interesting to see where they take things, and also if the story mode will be even bigger than MK 9's.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #70
Leo656
The Franchise

Holy sh*t, I watched my wife play through that story in a day, and while it was awesome, neither one of us expected it to be SO MUCH lol. Usually when you sit down with a fighting game and say, "I'm gonna run through Story mode real quick", you're not exactly expecting to spend more than a couple hours on it, instead of the better part of a day. Not for nothin', I love that it's got the depth of a "real" game - we're odd people who mostly play games single-player and thus like the solo campaign more than anything - but neither of us had expected it to be so much bigger than the standard "knock it out in an hour" fighting game solo mode. I really liked it. Needless to say, I also loved Injustice's campaign.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:25 AM   #71
Memphis
Stone Warrior

I've always been a big Mortal Kombat fan, so I can't wait for this one. I just hope the fatalities are better in this game than they were in 9. Everything in 9 was either decapitation, cut in half or skin being removed. (Also, the occasional cut into pieces).

I wonder if they'll follow the story from the last game. Sub-Zero not being a cyborg makes me hope it won't, or will at least retcon. I finally got a non-corpse Liu Kang with 9 and I'd hate it if he's gone again already.

Looking for MOC Dino figures. PM me if you're selling! *Already have Ankyl Leo*
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #72
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
I wonder if they'll follow the story from the last game. Sub-Zero not being a cyborg makes me hope it won't, or will at least retcon. I finally got a non-corpse Liu Kang with 9 and I'd hate it if he's gone again already.
They will follow and story will cover not only what happened right after MK9, but also what happened 25 years later. It was confirmed. Neverthless MK9 would not be retconned, most likely, which is good.
Sub-Zero probably is the new character alltogether.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #73
Memphis
Stone Warrior

Well Kano looks great for 25 years later so I'm sure Kang will be fine. I'm not ready for the Mr. Miyagi version of Liu Kang.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:23 PM   #74
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Well Kano looks great for 25 years later so I'm sure Kang will be fine. I'm not ready for the Mr. Miyagi version of Liu Kang.
Liu Kang is most likely dead.
Kano has become slightly older because of implants, it seems. Besides, there is no guarantee that this is Kano from 25 years later. Story mode will cover some periods of time 5 years after MK9, 10 years a.MK9, 15 years a.MK9, e.t.c.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:13 PM   #75
sdp
Megan Fox = April

For those saying the original characters were better than the 3D games, I agree, however there's plenty of great characters form the 3D games and the original games had their fair share of crap characters. A large part of the roster in the 2D games were clone characters, whether Ninjas/cyborgs/Kunoichis/etc so yeah they were cool but they were all the same ****ing character(design wise). The 3D games games gave each of those characters more fleshed out features and differences and better characters. Ironically many fans complained since they just wanted generic looking and rainbow colored Ninjas. And MK3 brought a lot of crap characters like Nightwolf. Sure the 3D games have their own fair share of bad characters like BoRaiCho but it also gave us some great characters like Quan Chi.

I was sad the reboot didn't have that many new characters but I expect a bunch more in this sequel, and i'm sure some other characters from the 3D games will make the cut.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:15 AM   #76
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
The 3D games games gave each of those characters more fleshed out features and differences and better characters. Ironically many fans complained since they just wanted generic looking and rainbow colored Ninjas.
Yeah, I saw such people. It was hilarious.

NughtWolf is awesome. Bo'Rai Cho is not that bad. He has very interesting story and character. But his gameplay was not god after MKDA.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:56 AM   #77
Memphis
Stone Warrior

I was definitely one of those kids who preferred the ninjas when I was a kid. Back in the Trilogy days my favorite character was Sub Zero, but when I got DA and Liu Kang died in the intro I immediately got that "want what you can't have" feeling. Since then, he's been my favorite character... Even through Deception and Armageddon's corpse phase...

Old 10-26-2014, 02:50 PM   #78
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Well I finally played through the reboot and I don't understand all the praise since to me it seemed to play mostly the same as MK vs DC which IIRC it got slammed. I think I also recall the story being called good, which I liked but its just as silly as all other MK stories. In fact the story is all over the place, if you don't already have some basic knowledge of the past MK games there's so much stuff that just doesn't make much sense if you don't understand the context. I enjoyed it for what it was but this reboot could've really ironed out the messy MK mythology, then again I'm glad we didn't get a realistic version based on that Rebirth fanfilm as neat as it was it wasn't MK. I was surprised by how much attention Ermac got in the story. I only wish they had implemented some characters post-MKTrilogy into the game besides Quan Chi.

Anywho the 25 years later shouldn't mess things too much for them to adapt MK4-Armageddon like the the ending implied. I hope we get some interesting things in the MK universe and it doesn't rely only on MK1-T characters, but I do hope we get to see Motaro..even if he's a centaur again.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #79
Ninjinister
無問題

Really the only thing wrong with MK2011's story (although it was the backbone of the story) was that Raiden was a colossal f**king idiot through all of it. Oh and

Spoiler:
everyone being straight up unceremoniously murdered by Sindel was a cop-out.
The rest of it was fine. For a fighting game, for a video game, for anything.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:46 PM   #80
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I didn't dislike the story, I just thought they could've ironed it out a little more and don't understand the praise since its pretty much normal MK lore. Anywho, I just realized that the story in MK9 is pretty much the same as MKI-III, the only big change to the storyline was Subzero being robotized but other than that it was basically the same story so I don't see how Raiden "saved" the world in the end. I'm in a MK kick so I think I'll be re-researching the storyline. I also saw some of the characters of the 3D MK games and wow I forgot how many awful characters there were I might have to retract some of the statements I made in this thread.