The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 02-01-2018, 05:05 PM   #1
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Amazon to monitor workers' productivity with a wristband

Yeah well, it's just creepy to say the least.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/01/t...g-privacy.html
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Good. No slackers.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well that's pretty sick. I know they already don't think of their employees much as human, but come on.

Where did we forget to draw the line in society that when people end up devoting so much time of the one life they have to something like this (or any job really, but esp the grueling ones like this with extra long shifts) rather than their own actual lives, they at the very least should be treated like humans, and not forced to work in miserable, dehumanizing, disrespected conditions/atmosphere so some guy at the top can get rich. Amazon might be highly successful, and it might get patted on the back for employing many, but how it functions as a work place is despicable and now possibly this?

Guaranteed the biggest use of this if it goes live is to determine who to get rid of and when. (The 'when' probably being eventual for everyone.) Not because you're a slacker, but because you're not keeping a consistent pace at a speed they want throughout the 10+ hour shifts. No doubt it will be monitored, and once you are an empty, worn out husk of a human who just can't keep up anymore and have served any amount of purpose they can get from you, you're gone.

I was there once years ago, for all of two weeks. Got rid of me because I wasn't fast enough. It's a soul killing place and if it was a choice between going back or starving... I think I'd rather starve and die that way vs voluntarily submit myself to the mental/emotional death that place can cause... (Even their corporate offices are said to be horrible...)

In my day it was a supervisor that had the job of motoring people and their productivity. Bet they want to cut out some of those jobs...

Well go work there for a while, CyberCubed and see how it is.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:56 PM   #4
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Reading that news article made me reflect on this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Oh my goodness!

I'm saddened.
A woman worked herself to death. I was deeply disheartened by it.

I hope that Amazon respects their employees enough to care for their safety and well-being.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:59 PM   #5
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Good.

Don´t like the job, get a new one. Just don´t come whining that Amazon replaced you with a robot because anyone can do your job and for cheaper.

Go to school slacker or compete with robots for cents.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:39 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

I applied to amazon a few months back and never heard back from them. Probably only a matter of time people are replaced by robots anyway.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:55 PM   #7
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I heard that Amazon has a very toxic work environment.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:58 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

You never heard back, Cubed? I'm honestly surprised. Given the turnover rate.

They go through temp agencies a lot around here. (I imagine it might be the same for much of the country.) Typically the ads never even mention who it is, they just try to entice people with the pay, which actually tends to make it obvious that its Amazon.

No doubt they will be the one to pioneer robot replacement for that kind of industry.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #9
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Good.

Don´t like the job, get a new one. Just don´t come whining that Amazon replaced you with a robot because anyone can do your job and for cheaper.

Go to school slacker or compete with robots for cents.
I guess you've never had a job you had a problem with. I don't have problems with my current one even though it's not exactly my dream job, but I've experienced sucky jobs that I'm glad to be out of. Plus getting a degree doesn't guarantee that your employment will be all peaches and cream.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #10
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

People are literally collapsing from exhaustion working at Amazon plants. People have died because they're overworked.

I won't be mad if Amazon replaces a lot of workers with robots because it would literally be lifesaving.