The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #21
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Nick Shredder seemingly sat in his throne room all day and night.
Do you think he killed time watching soap operas or something?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:15 PM   #22
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Not even FW Shredder had a throne. Sure, he had a really fancy tech chair in his first appearance, but it doesn't even count.

It really only makes sense for Ch'rell Shredder...given his flare for making things over dramatic.

The closest thing he got to a joke was mocking Stockman when he was reduced to his brain and spine. "You seem to be having an out of body experience."

Or something like that.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #23
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Do you think he killed time watching soap operas or something?
I think he'd be more into Romantic Comedies.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #24
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

He had a throne room of sorts in early drafts of the 1990 Barron movie.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
He had a throne room of sorts in early drafts of the 1990 Barron movie.
And a great big majestic cape/cloak that dragged behind him like one of those royal wedding dresses. Mirage Shredder had a cape once ever, just when there was blizzard snowfall in the Leonardo special. We never saw it again.

On paper I don't mind Shredder having a cape but it's just not practical. He's got blades everywhere. That's going to snag like a bitch.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #26
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
And a great big majestic cape/cloak that dragged behind him like one of those royal wedding dresses. Mirage Shredder had a cape once ever, just when there was blizzard snowfall in the Leonardo special. We never saw it again.

On paper I don't mind Shredder having a cape but it's just not practical. He's got blades everywhere. That's going to snag like a bitch.
A black and silver zebra striped royal wedding dress, haha. He only wore it during the ceremonial thing. For that, I'm down.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #27
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I'd love to see Shredder's day off or something and comedic moments happens. As others have mentioned IDW Shredder coping with today's technology and society, or Saki is in a cafe or a bistro and meets someone in a romcom situation.

Or a version of Saki where he runs a legit company as a cover for his crime-lord activities have to have something delivered to the bank and his assistant is sick or something and he decides it's on his way home, he can do it personally and while he's at the bank a robbery happens which puts him in a "heroic" situation. It's not really a funny situation in-world but it's funny for the audience with a heist going wrong due to one of the hostages is a deadly ninja.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #28
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I'd love to see Shredder's day off or something and comedic moments happens. As others have mentioned IDW Shredder coping with today's technology and society, or Saki is in a cafe or a bistro and meets someone in a romcom situation.

Or a version of Saki where he runs a legit company as a cover for his crime-lord activities have to have something delivered to the bank and his assistant is sick or something and he decides it's on his way home, he can do it personally and while he's at the bank a robbery happens which puts him in a "heroic" situation. It's not really a funny situation in-world but it's funny for the audience with a heist going wrong due to one of the hostages is a deadly ninja.
OMG that would make an amazing double-length one-shot, "A Funny Thing Happened on Oroku Saki's Way to the Bank" . I can totally see Saki going through a whole thought process, first being mad that he's having to perform a task that he had delegated to an underling (we could even set this story during the City Fall era and say that the underling who was supposed to make the drop at the bank was killed in an act of gang violence by one of Saki's rivals, the Cost Nostra or the Ghost Boys or something), then he thinks it's good for him to keep some semblance of humility and do what must be done to advance his plans.

Then he gets to the bank and when somebody pulls a gun on the tellers he first thinks, "why should I get involved?" but he reasons that there's a small chance that this small-time bank robber might get something of value from one of Saki's personal lockboxes, so he decides to intercede and easily takes down the armed robbers with his ninja skills.

Then the police are all amazed and applauding him and he's just so unperturbed while news crews want to interview him for being such an outstanding citizen and he's just like "I'm a very busy man, good day!" This could be a hilarious yet insightful story; I'd love to see something like it illustrated by Santolouco
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #29
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I really don't get where most of you want Oroku Saki to be some standup pratfall comedian.

I'd much rather be able to take my villains seriously.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:04 PM   #30
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

The best humor I think that can be logically hoped for in Shredder is in the league of "dad jokes".
Old 03-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #31
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I really don't get where most of you want Oroku Saki to be some standup pratfall comedian.

I'd much rather be able to take my villains seriously.
That's the thing, I don't want him cracking jokes, far from it. I find that when you put such a self-serious character like the Shredder in a ridiculous situation the comedy will flow naturally, because humor is derived from subverted expectations. If anybody tried to write Shredder as a character with a sense of humor it would totally fall flat because it wouldn't ring true, but there can be humor in his actions all the same, regardless of his intentions.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #32
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

I always wanted to see a running gag where Bebop and Rocksteady are their usual dumb selves but while everyone else calls them idiots Shredder recognize them as great warriors. For example in the IDW comic Koya and Bludgeon calls B&R idiots for watching cartoons and eating pizza before the final battle with the turtles, I could see Shredder calling K&B simpletons for not understanding that B&R know they might die and are spending their final moments enjoying themselves
Old 03-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
I always wanted to see a running gag where Bebop and Rocksteady are their usual dumb selves but while everyone else calls them idiots Shredder recognize them as great warriors
That sounds horrible.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:55 PM   #34
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
That seemed more a problem of character background and motivation than anything else. Ch'rell just... wants to destroy the universe? Or rule it? Or something? Why? For what purpose? Just because he's "EEEEVIL"? It's meaningless and dumb.
Precisely.

The problem is, I think, is that none out of TMNT incarnations specifically made any exploration of Shredder character. I haven't read IDW stuff, so maybe they had something like this, but from what I have heard here he is just a dude who want to conquer anything.

As a result the most explored Shredder is the one from OT, just because there was so much of him in the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Someone considered a retelling where Ch'rell was a rebel leader and it's way more interesting than anything given in the actual show.
There was that conflict with Slashuur from Battlenexus 2. But it was never expanded and it seems it's not canon to the series anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
This is pretty much my ideal cinematic Shredder interpretation. Essentially a Yakuza mob boss. Maybe he even has a known love for tradition and history, hence the armor.
I would be very interested in that approach to the shred-head.

Quote:
But as to humor? I would imagine. From what we got in #1 and his monologueing in #21, though, I'd suspect he'd have a very dry humor, and super sparing. And if he were to make any actual jokes, it'd be pretty dark humor.
Fine by me.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:49 PM   #35
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

I also want to see Shredder eating non-Japanese food at least once.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:51 PM   #36
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
The best humor I think that can be logically hoped for in Shredder is in the league of "dad jokes".
So like Vader?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:30 AM   #37
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Precisely.

The problem is, I think, is that none out of TMNT incarnations specifically made any exploration of Shredder character. I haven't read IDW stuff, so maybe they had something like this, but from what I have heard here he is just a dude who want to conquer anything.
http://tmntentity.blogspot.se/2013/0...ot-clan-1.html (Follow the whole mini-series through the end).
http://tmntentity.blogspot.se/2013/1...-shredder.html
http://tmntentity.blogspot.se/2015/10/tmnt-idw-50.html

In case you don't care about spoilers:
Spoiler:
He is the reincarnation of the Foot Clan's original founder.
The founder was betrayed and murdered when his clan disagreed with his violent ways. When Saki found this out he couldn't stand disloyalty and took over the Foot Clan. Eventually we find out he's a puppet of Kitsune,
a Demi-Goddess who groomed him to become a hostbody for her father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
As a result the most explored Shredder is the one from OT, just because there was so much of him in the series.
Technically? I can't say it's the least bit compelling though. He's just a buffoon bickering with an Utrom there.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #38
Avenger
Thug

About humor, I would make a parallel with Batman:

The guy is stoic, almost no reaction with his face most of the time.

What I consider funny with that kind of people, it's their (no) reaction when people around are throwing jokes or doing funny stuff; only that look "Shut up or I'm going to kill you"
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:44 PM   #39
pferreira
Foot Elite

I think it's important for any character to show humour as it adds to their character. I never liked the 4Kids Shredder because he just felt one dimensional in his seriousness all the time.

Quote:
And a great big majestic cape/cloak that dragged behind him like one of those royal wedding dresses.
How do you know he didn't smother people to death with it?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shredder