The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 03-26-2006, 06:45 AM   #141
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

I just finished a book called "Darum nerven Japaner" (That's why the japanese are annoying) by a german living in Tokyo called Christoph Neumann. It's hilarious and sort of scary. He tells us stuff like the japanese's work ethics and their uniformed definition of fun. Also, what they do when they're out clubbing. And I found out that I probably won't last long in Japan.

And now I'm starting on "Barry Trotter and the shameless parody" by Michael Gerber. After all the bad fan fiction, I needed something that was really bad and yet funny. They should make a movie of that... R-rated.
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #142
Sewer Bull
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-iZZy
I think I'm going to start reading the first volume of the Usagi Yojimbo series. Thanks to eBay, I've got all of volume one... and for just $80! YAY!

Anyway, let me get started on this... I'm on the issue where he works with Leo (#10).
The first volume of "UY"? You mean "The Ronin"? But Leonardo appeared in "The Wanderer's Road" which is the third volume, afaik.

EDIT: Duh, you probably meant issues 1-38, published by "Fantagraphics Books", right? My bad. I mistook "volumes" with "books"

Soooo... THIS is how you spend your free time now?!
Sewer Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:21 AM   #143
R-iZZy
The Long Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewer Bull
The first volume of "UY"? You mean "The Ronin"? But Leonardo appeared in "The Wanderer's Road" which is the third volume, afaik.

EDIT: Duh, you probably meant issues 1-38, published by "Fantagraphics Books", right? My bad. I mistook "volumes" with "books"
It's cool, you knew what I meant in the end of things.

And BOOOOO! I was lead to believe Leo would be a big part of this issue... he was only involved in the little side-story at the ends.

R-iZZy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:54 AM   #144
Sewer Bull
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-iZZy
It's cool, you knew what I meant in the end of things.

And BOOOOO! I was lead to believe Leo would be a big part of this issue... he was only involved in the little side-story at the ends.
Yeah, I thought you bought "The Ronin" for $80 - that'd be rather high price but considering it was published in 1987... but yeah, 80 bucks for 38 issues looks like a fair price to me.

And if you want to see more TMNT in UY - try to hunt down "Shades of Green" - Volume 2, Issues 1, 2 and 3 (or "Shades of Death" book from 1997) - TMNT part is much more significant in this 60-page long story.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:09 AM   #145
R-iZZy
The Long Con

Thanks! I'll be looking more for that series. That's the volume that was published under Mirage Studios, right?

R-iZZy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:05 PM   #146
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

Today, I finished raedin' One Fat Summer by Robert Lipsyte. This book was great and very easy to understand. It's about a kid named Bobby Marks who does yard work and mows the lawn for a guy named Dr. Kahn. The story takes place in the '50s and it has a lot of action and the plot is very easy to follow. I won't give too much away, but some of the characters are Joanie, Jim Smith, Willie Rumson, Marty (Bobby's Dad), and Pete Marino.

My English class recently started Romeo and Juliet and I read the longest speech in the book today cuz the teacher is havin' us read it aloud. The book is gettin' really good and I'm glad I can sorta understand Old English cuz that's what Shakespeare used when he wrote it.

How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:36 PM   #147
discordiatookie
facehugger

just now i'm reading Lord of the Rings for the first time - pretty awesome methinks, about half way through the first book - why did they miss Tom(?) Bombadil out of the movie - this dude is nuts!

i'm also going through a Robert Kirkman phase at the moment - just bought Invincible tpbs 1 - 5 and issues 25 - 30 yesterday! halfway through book four already, this guy is magic!

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 10:20 PM   #148
Barkworm
Super Moderator

Erich Kästner - Anna Louise and Anton
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:43 PM   #149
Peanut
Second Gear

Just bought and am now in the process of reading "The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks. Niiiiice!
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:24 AM   #150
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

I bought a copy of Alice's adventures in Wonderland as well as Through the Looking Glass today. I haven't started it yet, but I am definetley planing to tonight.

Alice in Wonderland is greatness.
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:48 AM   #151
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Eddie G's Autobiography....it even has CM PUNK IN IT!! AH!!

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:55 AM   #152
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

I still need to pick that up, let me know how it is!
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:45 AM   #153
Hannah
Once more, with feeling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittie february6
I bought a copy of Alice's adventures in Wonderland as well as Through the Looking Glass today. I haven't started it yet, but I am definetley planing to tonight.

Alice in Wonderland is greatness.
Yay! For my book report in English I did Through the Looking Glass. I had to lie to be able to do it, though, because you're not supposed to do books you have already read.

But we're not really supposed to do kids books either. >>
Old 05-11-2006, 08:16 AM   #154
Sewer Bull
Devil's Advocate

"And the Ass Saw the Angel" by Nick Cave.

Me so emo ><

Old 05-11-2006, 08:14 PM   #155
Lady Venus
Mad Scientist

Right now I'm reading "The Andalite Chronicles" BY KA Applegate. I'm at the part of the story when the Yeerk in Loren's head is dieing.

Sig made by: Joe
Lady Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:39 PM   #156
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

Hah, the Animorphs. I used to read those books, but when I got to about 28, I ran out of money and couldn't buy them anymore. I regret it somehow, but I moved on. I like the concept though, with all the secret identity stuff and Tobias being a Nothlit and all that.

Anyways, I'm reading "The Traveller" by John Twelve Hawks, the mysterious author of the upcoming trilogy about a Harlequin named Maya who has to protect Gabriel Corrigan, a Traveller who may or may not have the ability to leave this world and enter a sort of astral plane, from the Tabula who want to use Gabe's talent for world domination.

And it's really, really good.
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:51 PM   #157
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

You missed out on the best part of the series then, Anarky.

Spoiler:
Later on, towards the end, they get revealed to the Yeerks and start recruting random kids, most of them hadicapped. The series ended with Rachel crashing the Blade Ship into the Pool Ship, blowing the entire thing up and ending the invasion of Earth. Always knew she'd do something stupid like that.
Kid Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:43 PM   #158
Lady Venus
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarky
Hah, the Animorphs. I used to read those books, but when I got to about 28, I ran out of money and couldn't buy them anymore. I regret it somehow, but I moved on. I like the concept though, with all the secret identity stuff and Tobias being a Nothlit and all that.
I have read book # 1 thru 54. This is my second time reading "The Andalite Chronicles". I love this cuz it tell you who Tobias is parents is.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:12 PM   #159
Ryona

I'm currently reading a very helpful book titled...

Guidance From The Darkness: The Transforming Power of the Divine Feminine in Difficult Times
Old 05-26-2006, 01:44 PM   #160
Lady Venus
Mad Scientist

I finished reading "The Andalite Chronicles" now I'm reading "The Eldest".