The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

View Poll Results: Did Kavanaugh do it?
Yes! 5 21.74%
No! 2 8.70%
Probably not 4 17.39%
This whole thing is dumb 12 52.17%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 10:30 PM   #81
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 7,493
And it's been my experience that those who accuse others of being overly simplistic and biased in views, generally are themselves. Especially after having made broad generalizations based on an obviously biased view of a group that runs a vast range of ideals and social issues. Fearmongering and media pandering aside, there is really no more rationality on the right than there is on the left. It's just that the lack of critical thinking and mania is better hidden behind the veneer of "god and country" rhetoric. Conservativism is well and good- until it becomes a rallying cry for instilling fear of "evil socialist bullies out to get us" and the mentality of ostracism and persecution that goes with it. Pretty sure the McCarthy era is proof enough of that. We've already (in theory, at least) learned the lesson of over-zealous reactionary retaliation against "socialist conspiracy". Haven't we??
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #82
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior
 
John Pannozzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Multiculturalism - doesn't work. Intersectionality - doesn't work.
How so?

With that point of view in mind, one wonders which kind of liberal/"SJW" can be considered more dangerous: a populist corporate shill statist like Hilary, or a more genuine (if that's possible) socialist like Bernie Saunders?
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #83
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 6,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
How so?

With that point of view in mind, one wonders which kind of liberal/"SJW" can be considered more dangerous: a populist corporate shill statist like Hilary, or a more genuine (if that's possible) socialist like Bernie Saunders?
SJW are the more radical types, though. I wouldn't say your average socialist or your average person who falls into what we call the left-wing spectrum of politics falls into the SJW category.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:14 PM   #84
Sumac
Mad Scientist
 
Sumac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
How so?

With that point of view in mind, one wonders which kind of liberal/"SJW" can be considered more dangerous: a populist corporate shill statist like Hilary, or a more genuine (if that's possible) socialist like Bernie Saunders?
Multiculturalism doesn't work because people of different cultures are not in hurry to integrate in the society they are living in. And the worst part - most of them don't respect culture of the country they are in.
Of course, in different countries situation might be slightly different, but it's obvious that people of different cultures do not want to assimilate and become proper citizens.

Intersectionality is even worse: lefties eat each other, because, different groups not only pursue their own interests, but they are directly throwing other groups into the trash, whenever there is some sort of disagreement or misunderstanding.

And as for who is more dangerous: fanatics are much more dangerous. You can deal with shallow populist. Generally they won't do crazy stuff, whereas fanatic might ignore basic logic and facts to pursue their own vision of the future. And they are not someone you can make deals with.
So populists are more preferable.
__________________
Now with 150% more poison!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #85
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior
 
John Pannozzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
And as for who is more dangerous: fanatics are much more dangerous. You can deal with shallow populist. Generally they won't do crazy stuff, whereas fanatic might ignore basic logic and facts to pursue their own vision of the future. And they are not someone you can make deals with.
So populists are more preferable.
So, do you consider Bernie to be a fanatic?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Santo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:36 AM   #86
BartAllen
Stone Warrior
 
BartAllen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 838
The american liberal left used to be the party of the intellectual. Now it has just as much science denial and stupidity as the religious right did 30 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
So, do you consider Bernie to be a fanatic?
I'd consider him an idiot.
He said bread lines would be good for people.
BartAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:06 PM   #87
Voltron
For a Limited Time Only
 
Voltron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
there is really no more rationality on the right than there is on the left. It's just that the lack of critical thinking and mania is better hidden behind the veneer of "god and country" rhetoric.
I disagree. I think the "god and country" thing is a poor, poor argument for their brand of crazy. When the only answers offered to complex issues come in sound bites, there's a problem.

The United States is a country of 350-400 million people. The demographic is as diverse as it can possibly be. Saying that doing things because "god" wants it to be that way is preposterous.

Imagine every time you went to the doctor, he diagnosed you with "demons".

Runny nose? Demons.
Stomach ache? Demons.
Strange rash? Demons.
Diarrhea? Butt Demons.

Chances are, you probably wouldn't stand for it when he gave you some prayers to say and charged you out the wazoo for it.

So why would any sane person accept this as a sensible solution for anything outside of actual, full blown "Linda Blair" Exorcist ****?

There's no rationality in "god and country". It's just a fancy way to say "I hate thinking. Please don't make me do it."

And this isn't to say that Right leaning philosophies are all stupid, or worthless nonsense. But a lot of the people who try to jump into a political argument tend to fall back on these three words as though they mean something profound. They don't. It's the same thing as arguing "social justice and the environment" when liberals are backed into a corner.

The saving grace on the Left, I find, is that they're WAY more likely to divorce themselves from a political figure after some darkness comes out about them. Obama caught it for the Syrian Missile strikes. John Edward was ousted for his affair. Al Franken was ousted, too.

That, to me, shows rationality. Way more so than the Right exhibits.
__________________
I AM FOR ACTUAL!
Voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:31 PM   #88
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 14,503
I'unno man. They sure love ol' Bill, in spite of... y'know... all those rapes and other sh*t. Just to put it out there. I hear what you're saying, but I feel they're awfully selective.

I mean, just for example: With Kavanaugh, the liberals are like, "Ford is obviously telling the truth, I mean who'd ever make up something like that? And why? We don't need evidence, or witnesses... MY HEART tells me that she's telling the truth." Ummm... okay.

And then, with Clinton, you can go back 40 years all the way through the late 1990s, and you have accusations, witnesses, corroborating evidence, and in one case a smoking gun (or cigar, as it may be)... And in this case, it's always either, "Well, they ALL do stuff like that, he just got caught", which is horrible, OR, "Well, ALL of that stuff really doesn't matter, because, like... we don't KNOW he did it because nobody literally walked into the room AS he was doing it, which we REALLY would need, if we're gonna make a judgment on things like this!" Which exposes their hypocrisy, when compared to the Kavanaugh situation, in which case evidence DOESN'T matter and all we need are gut feelings and empathy.

Just saying. This is why I don't pick sides. Although I do trust the conservatives a bit more, because I fully expect them to screw with me, and so am not shocked when they do.
---------------

I've actually blamed Diarrhea on Butt Demons. That's pretty funny, man.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Last edited by Leo656; 10-23-2018 at 03:49 AM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:01 AM   #89
Voltron
For a Limited Time Only
 
Voltron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,693
The Clinton Impeachment proceedings are comparable, yes, but there's plenty of difference between the two.

With Clinton, it was an actual trial. He was accused of, then tried for, obstruction of justice and perjury. The trial took place in the Senate and had very clear rules and regulations which had to be observed, regardless of public perception and judgment.

The sexual aspect of the trial was certainly at the forefront, but it wasn't why he was on trial. He was on trial because he lied.

It's probable that Clinton's charm and swagger played a large role in his maintaining or, at least, regaining his positive image. Whether or not he's committed any crimes remains in the court of public opinion. As you've pointed out, a lot of the public seem unconcerned with his behavior.


With Kavanaugh, it's not a trial. It's a job interview. He had to sit down and undergo examination to see if he was fit for a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.

The rape allegations were pertinent since his character is *extremely* important in this decision. Whether or not he actually did it is less of an issue, unfortunately, as this is all about public perception.

Imagine that you're looking for a baby sitter. You find a promising candidate, but as you're talking to them on the phone, you get a few text messages from their friends and former employers saying that the person is a rapist and has a serious problem with alcohol. While they've never been convicted or even prosecuted, it is going to give you serious pause about letting them have power over people your care about.

We're just scaling up the responsibility.

Another big problem is the legitimacy of his tenure. If people perceive Kavanaugh as a morally reprehensible figure, they're not going to respect his views and decisions on the court.

The court of public opinion has a lot more weight in this scenario, too, since it comes down to whom the country would vote for after the hearings. An example being Susan Collins having a lot of push back from constituents regarding her decision on the matter. That's to say nothing of the lousy press Grassley, Graham, and some other senators got for the thing.

Another aspect is the "charm". Clinton, whether you like him or not, had a ton of it. Kavanaugh showed next to none. He got up there and threw a tantrum over not being confirmed. He gave awkward, rambling responses and even went so far as to claim a conspiracy against him in his defense against Ford.

Whether or not he did it isn't the issue here. It's whether or not we'd want some one like that on the Supreme Court. Even if it came out that he was totally a rapist and raped dozens of people, it wasn't a trial and he wouldn't have gone to jail.

With Clinton, it totally was. However, it was never about rape. It was about whether he perjured himself and tried to obstruct justice.

__________________________________________________ ___

Those butt demons are killer man. A literal pain in the ass.
__________________
I AM FOR ACTUAL!
Voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:58 AM   #90
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 14,503
Charming or not, he's most likely a rapist, though. The question is largely, "To what degree?" Yet people still love him. They want his wife to be President, despite the fact that she stayed married to a rapist so she could ride his name into the White House one day. And she, for her part, actively worked to silence and discredit his victims.

That's horrible. Those are horrible, horrible people. But they're very popular, mostly for what they say vs. what they do, and this gives me both pause and alarm.

That was my point; you said that in your view, liberals will more quickly pivot away from someone who's been "tainted", and frankly I don't think that's true. I think you can be as dirty as it gets, and they'll still support you as long as you say things they wanna hear. And, of course, if they're "charming", as you said.

I think that's pretty much the case on both sides; I just don't think liberals move any quicker to pivot, I think maybe they're more selective. But then I find everything they do to be very transparent and predictable.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:02 AM   #91
Voltron
For a Limited Time Only
 
Voltron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Charming or not, he's most likely a rapist, though. The question is largely, "To what degree?" Yet people still love him. They want his wife to be President, despite the fact that she stayed married to a rapist so she could ride his name into the White House one day. And she, for her part, actively worked to silence and discredit his victims.

That's horrible. Those are horrible, horrible people. But they're very popular, mostly for what they say vs. what they do, and this gives me both pause and alarm.
Yes. It is horrible, if it's true. This thread started with the question, "did Kavanaugh do it?" The problem here is that, since none of these things were ever brought to trial, we can't say with any finality that they're true. We can believe they are. I can rant and rave all day along about how I think Kavanaugh to be the world record holder for most rapes, but it doesn't mean anything unless we take it to court.

I know that sounds frustrating. I have a friend who's a lawyer and he always stone walls me with the same stuff. During and after the Casey Anthony trial, he would call here innocent. Everyone I know thinks she's guilty, but he (correctly (and infuriatingly)) pointed out that the courts are entrusted to make these decisions, and they decided she was innocent.

The problem, though, is the court of public opinion. That's the point I'm trying to make. Insisting that Clinton's sexual misdeeds have some bearing on Kavanaugh's examination isn't in the same discussion.

Quote:
That was my point; you said that in your view, liberals will more quickly pivot away from someone who's been "tainted", and frankly I don't think that's true. I think you can be as dirty as it gets, and they'll still support you as long as you say things they wanna hear. And, of course, if they're "charming", as you said.
Charm has a lot to do with it, yes. There's a number of cases where charming assholes have gotten away with murder. Sometimes literally.

What I wanted to get at here is that Kavanaugh isn't charming. Hillary isn't either, if you want to take that road. It's a huge reason why she lost. No one likes her. Hell, even her husband noped out of bed the first chance he got.

Jokes aside, despite it not being a requisite for the position, politicians live and die by public perception. Nixon did a lot of good things for the US, but he's still viewed as a crook. JFK was a total horndog who escalated the Vietnam War and brought us to the brink of nuclear holocaust with Russia, but he's viewed as one of our greatest presidents.

Quote:
I think that's pretty much the case on both sides; I just don't think liberals move any quicker to pivot, I think maybe they're more selective. But then I find everything they do to be very transparent and predictable.
It's fair to say that both sides have some things to answer for. That being said, as it stands, the GOP controls all three branches of government and are demonstrably driving the country into the ground.

As for the "pivots", I'll stand by the claim that the Left is less forgiving of its political figures. Franken was ousted for joking around about boobs. Roy Moore is an accused pedophile who almost won a senate seat. Anthony Weiner was ousted for his sexting. There's a literal Nazi running on the GOP ticket in several states. Nazis. Not guys who let the "n" word slip once. Guys who think that Hitler was an OK dude, and that we should totally create a "white nation state" and ban the "darkies."

That should raise some eyebrows from Republican voters.
__________________
I AM FOR ACTUAL!
Voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:13 AM   #92
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 13,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
That should raise some eyebrows from Republican voters.
But it won't, it is the Repuplican party we're talking about.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:26 AM   #93
Sumac
Mad Scientist
 
Sumac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,767
I don't think anyone can seriously consider that Left can distance itself from "bad" people, after they have supported Hilarity.

Also, in case of Conservatives "god" represents traditional values, not literal deities.
__________________
Now with 150% more poison!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #94
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I don't think anyone can seriously consider that Left can distance itself from "bad" people, after they have supported Hilarity.

Also, in case of Conservatives "god" represents traditional values, not literal deities.
Um, buddy? Trust me, 4 out of 5 Conservatives believe in a literal deity.

Now, the actual politicians running for the offices? Debatable and laughable. But the voters... oh yeah. Oh yeah they do.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #95
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 14,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Um, buddy? Trust me, 4 out of 5 Conservatives believe in a literal deity.

Now, the actual politicians running for the offices?
Large numbers pretend because they have to. Just like Trump pretends to be against abortion when he was publicly very supportive of it as a private citizen. You have to play the game...
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #96
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Large numbers pretend because they have to. Just like Trump pretends to be against abortion when he was publicly very supportive of it as a private citizen. You have to play the game...
Yup. They say whatever it takes to get voted by the people. And yet, so many people trust the candidates? Because they say "God bless America?"
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:19 PM   #97
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 7,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
It's fair to say that both sides have some things to answer for. That being said, as it stands, the GOP controls all three branches of government and are demonstrably driving the country into the ground.

As for the "pivots", I'll stand by the claim that the Left is less forgiving of its political figures. Franken was ousted for joking around about boobs. Roy Moore is an accused pedophile who almost won a senate seat. Anthony Weiner was ousted for his sexting. There's a literal Nazi running on the GOP ticket in several states. Nazis. Not guys who let the "n" word slip once. Guys who think that Hitler was an OK dude, and that we should totally create a "white nation state" and ban the "darkies."

That should raise some eyebrows from Republican voters.

Thank you. This is ABSOLUTELY why I will not vote for ANY of those creeps!


Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Um, buddy? Trust me, 4 out of 5 Conservatives believe in a literal deity.

Now, the actual politicians running for the offices? Debatable and laughable. But the voters... oh yeah. Oh yeah they do.

Seconded. There's a REASON they call our part of the country the "Bible Belt"! And it's being held up by the Bible suspenders.....
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:05 PM   #98
BartAllen
Stone Warrior
 
BartAllen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Thank you. This is ABSOLUTELY why I will not vote for ANY of those creeps!





Seconded. There's a REASON they call our part of the country the "Bible Belt"! And it's being held up by the Bible suspenders.....
But you're cool with voting for Hillary? A woman who has been accused of colluding with her husband to cover up his rapes. Okay!


Anyone want to talk about the fact that NBC sat on evidence that one of Kavanaugh's accusers walked back the accusation and didn't report on it until just a week ago... No? Yea, I wonder why.

One of the accusers admits to making up accusation: https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo...enclosures.pdf

Last edited by BartAllen; 11-02-2018 at 07:33 PM.
BartAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:57 AM   #99
The Deadman
Foot Elite
 
The Deadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,559
Kavanaugh accuser referred to DOJ for false statements, Grassley’s office announces
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/kav...fice-announces

Whoops
__________________

Last Movie Watched: Ju-on: White Ghost (2009).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E27).
Last Video Game Played: Sonic & The Secret Rings (Wii).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #100
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 7,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartAllen View Post
But you're cool with voting for Hillary? A woman who has been accused of colluding with her husband to cover up his rapes. Okay!

Anyone want to talk about the fact that NBC sat on evidence that one of Kavanaugh's accusers walked back the accusation and didn't report on it until just a week ago... No? Yea, I wonder why.

One of the accusers admits to making up accusation: https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo...enclosures.pdf
Hillary? Not really. I only voted for her because I considered her the lesser evil in the equation. And still do. BUT! I would have voted for one the other candidates if I had thought they stood a snowball's chance in hell of winning. But they didn't, so I voted to keep that orange idiot OUT. There IS such a thing as voting AGAINST rather than FOR particular candidate(s). I may not like either main runner, but I'm savvy enough to realize that in a two-party system, voting for the opposing side of the one you disagree with the most is usually the only practical option.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
plastron goes quiet

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.