The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #41
The Big Bad
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
This one drives me totally nuts. I don't know if anyone cares, but there's actually a severe shortage of female TMNT characters, so I can't stand when they take an awesome stand-alone character like Karai and force her into the role of Shredder's daughter when he already has a badass kunoichi daughter.
I'm of two minds about this. I think it was perfectly legitimate for the 4Kids cartoon to make Karai the Shredder's daughter instead of using Pimiko. Not only is 4Kids Karai far more similar to the former than the latter, she actually debuts in the adaptation of Karai's original appearance. Yes, there was already existing daughter of the Shredder, but there was also an already existing character who brought the warring Foot back under her control.

Now, with any of the other incarnations? I would have to agree. The film incarnation I don't actually consider Shredder's daughter, since it's a detail that isn't actually on the film, so that doesn't bug me much. The newest version, however... like turning Falco into the Rat King, it feels like taking two good things--the new character and Karai as a concept--and making them weaker by joining them together.

Previous avatar artwork by Lorna-ka.

Last edited by The Big Bad; 02-03-2013 at 03:45 PM.
The Big Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #42
ToTheNines
[sic]

Good point Bad. 4kids did at least wait till Shredder "died" and kept her as head of the Japanese Foot. The Nick toon basically created a new character. So she's really only Karai in name only, both as a character and in-universe.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #43
Icebot
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I think Rahzar and Tokka have a good chance to appear again. They did get cameos in the Turtles Forever movie.

I agree with the others though.
Not to mention Tokka and Rahzar were in a 1987 cartoon episode.

The characters I believe will never come back I would say Kluh from the Battle Nexus, Drako.

I think they'll stop having more than one Shredder like Tengu, Utrom and Cyber Shredder, they'll probably just have one Shredder per show from now on.

Also Don Turtelli, Pinky McFingers, Big Louie, Mad Dog McMutt.

What about Irma, Burne and Vernon? Not sure about them.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #44
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
He could easily be brainwashed by Baxter or the Foot.
If so, he will become some kind of 5th turtle the day the brainwashing is over, and becomes a good guy again (unless he's originally a bad guy, but still not work with Shredder or Baxter Stockman, of course).
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #45
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
If so, he will become some kind of 5th turtle the day the brainwashing is over, and becomes a good guy again (unless he's originally a bad guy, but still not work with Shredder or Baxter Stockman, of course).

I know.. it's kinda like a big can of worms that I don't really want opened. But I'm sure the Nick writers have something up their sleeves the moment they decided to add more mutants AND give Raph a pet turtle. Similar to how they planned to make Falco into Rat King all along. We'll have to wait and see how it plays out when we get that far.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #46
CyberCubed
Overlord

Falco became Rat King, and Miwa is probably Karai. Having Spike become Slash is the same exact foreshadowing they did with the previous two characters, complete with name changes no less.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #47
Vivi
Mad Scientist

Probably most of them - which is a shame since there are many many decent characters that I would hate to never see again. Just about any character could be picked up at a writer's whimsy and made interesting. It would be good to draw on the vast catalogue of characters not purely for nostalgias sake, but because they genuinely fit well into the tmnt world and make for interesting storylines.
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #48
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
Probably most of them - which is a shame since there are many many decent characters that I would hate to never see again. Just about any character could be picked up at a writer's whimsy and made interesting. It would be good to draw on the vast catalogue of characters not purely for nostalgias sake, but because they genuinely fit well into the tmnt world and make for interesting storylines.
Like armaggon.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #49
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
To be fair many of them were obscure to begin with. Many Mirage-centric characters never would have seen the light of day in the 4kids series if it weren't for Peter Laird wanting to see them animated.

Many characters from the OT were designed to be one-shot characters to begin with, or are too silly to work in any other incarnation. Most of those Playmates mutant characters were basically just there to sell toys rather than be actual characters.

Many of the 4kids created characters, excluding Ch'rell, Hun and Bishop...were largely throwaway or not popular enough to get revived, like Touch and Go, the Battle Nexus characters, Quarry and the underground mutants, Garbageman, some of the FF characters, Khan, etc.

We're seeing the Neutrinos and General Traag/Rock Soldiers revived likely only because they were in the initial first season mini-series of the original toon, and thus everyone is familiar with them. Others like Metalhead, Slash, and possibly Rahzar/Tokka are just obvious fan-favorites. I expect Bebop/Rocksteady to debut in the Nick series in either Season 2 or 3 but again they're incredibly popular. The more obscure characters will probably never be brought back.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #50
miru
Mad Scientist

Who knows, maybe Spike becomes Venus instead, and Slash is an alien.

EDIT: Turns out Spike is Slash.

Last edited by miru; 07-16-2013 at 09:38 AM.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #51
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
This one drives me totally nuts. I don't know if anyone cares, but there's actually a severe shortage of female TMNT characters, so I can't stand when they take an awesome stand-alone character like Karai and force her into the role of Shredder's daughter when he already has a badass kunoichi daughter.
Totally this.

I never cared for Pimiko much (mostly because of her costume, and the fact that she had very little personality beyond that costume), but the fact remains -- they keep shoehorning Karai into the role of Shredder's daughter when there's already a character in the lore to fill that role.

Karai seems to be one of the few characters not to have been heavily promoted during the '90s fad to make the jump into a recurring staple of the series, and that's great, but I'm not crazy about how she's done it. She was the Shredder's daughter in the 4Kids series and it worked to an extent, since it helped streamline that story and she still kept a lot of elements from her Mirage incarnation. What little we saw of her in the 2007 film actually seemed fine. But with Nick and IDW that now seems to be the default, and she hardly bears similarity to the original character. The only remaining elements are ... what? She's a female Foot ninja? The Mirage Karai wasn't interesting because of any loyalty or family issues, or the novelty of being a woman fighting character. She was interesting because she was a competent, pragmatic, amoral hard-ass.

As for the rest of this thread, I'd say most people are dead-on with the characters least likely to be resurrected in the near future, but never say never. The world of comic-book franchises has shown us time and time again that there's no untouchable elements of the franchise. All we'd need is a writer with enough interest in a character, or who thinks they would add enough to the story, to bring them back. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see another Null or Complete Carnage down the line. Or hell, even a Silver, the gangster ape. Anything's game.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #52
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
As for the rest of this thread, I'd say most people are dead-on with the characters least likely to be resurrected in the near future, but never say never. The world of comic-book franchises has shown us time and time again that there's no untouchable elements of the franchise. All we'd need is a writer with enough interest in a character, or who thinks they would add enough to the story, to bring them back. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see another Null or Complete Carnage down the line. Or hell, even a Silver, the gangster ape. Anything's game.
It really depends if the writers have fond memories of certain characters. I'm willing to bet someone at Nick had the Metalhead toy as a kid and wanted to bring the character back due to childhood nostalgia.

But the chances of Tempestra, Titanus, Shreeka, Beserko, etc? Probably very little. Same goes for all the obscure Mirage and 4kids characters.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #53
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
But the chances of Tempestra, Titanus, Shreeka, Beserko, etc? Probably very little. Same goes for all the obscure Mirage and 4kids characters.
Those are certianly among the least likely, but if the franchise is long-lasting and prolific enough?

I can't think of too many Batman characters that have gone untouched after one version, no matter how obscure. Some have even gone on to become major staples.

And even the Turtles characters you listed up there have unique designs and powers that might prompt their return if a writer needs something similar in the future. Really, I'd say the least likely are some of the one-off human villains. Anything else is very possible.

#DragonLord2015
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #54
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Spike kinda like a snapping turtle?
Spike or Slash?

Spike seems to be a Tortoise then a Turtle all together.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #55
OrokuYoshiFilms
Stone Warrior

Wish Tatsu would make a comeback but he's probably gone....
OrokuYoshiFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #56
CyberCubed
Overlord

It really depends as I said. I never thought we'd see Angel from the 4kids series again, but Tom Waltz said he liked her so she's in the IDW comics. It depends on if the writers like certain characters even if they're not well known.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #57
Shredded
Foot Soldier

Quote:
And Spike will become Slash, I assure you all.
What if Spike is actually a girl and becomes Venus for one episode only to also give Raph a love interest, now we are going nuts with all the shipping any-ways.

It's silly I know, but the image of Raph just going. "Spike is a girl!?!?" is amusing to me.

And well, these two probably wont be forgotten at all, but guys.. so sorry to say it.
Bebop and Rocksteady wont ever come bacn in any incarnation, the turtle shows has now made it official tradition that each Shredder will get new unique hench-men.
The only two thus far being actually rea-curring is now Stockman and Karai, the rest, it's now officially tradition that they are new ones each time. Which is quite honestly a good thing.

Bebop and Rocksteady just wouldn't have fit into this show and how it's written, where we go deep into characters and character development, also among the villains, I can't wait for the show to go far enough for the villains to do more stuff on their own and do things against or with each other, Stockman for one, can't wait to see where he is going to go, two things seems to be consistent with his incarnations.
A; he is only a unwilling participant, thus easily turns on the Shredder, and do so.
B; He never catches a break and just falls further and further into shame

So well, Rocksteady and bebop wont be forgotten as long as there are people whom grew up with the eighties show, how-ever.. will the new young genneration, the teens and children whom watches the show now, have any idea whom they are?... probably not.
Shredded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #58
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredded View Post
Bebop and Rocksteady wont ever come bacn in any incarnation, the turtle shows has now made it official tradition that each Shredder will get new unique hench-men
They already returned in the IDW comics. The chances of Nick never using them in the show is slim, they bought the TMNT IP with the intent of re-capturing the popularity of the OT. They know good and well the villains at the time were the reason the show was also the success it was as much as the Turtles.

Bebop/Rocksteady don't even have to work directly for Shredder, they can be in charge of the Purple Dragons, who have been less important ever since Xever got mutated.

Quote:
Bebop and Rocksteady just wouldn't have fit into this show and how it's written, where we go deep into characters and character development, also among the villains, I can't wait for the show to go far enough for the villains to do more stuff on their own and do things against or with each other
Bebop and Rocksteady are comedic villains in a show that's practically a comedy. I think those two would be absolutely hilarious with the talented writing of the Nick writers.

In fact the only reason we haven't seen them in Season 1 is because Nick wants to build up a new universe first with a mix of new and old characters but some are being held over, same reason Casey Jones is not in Season 1. I would be very surprised to not see Nick bring back Bebop/Rocksteady for a cartoon aimed at children.

And as I pointed out, IDW already brought them back.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #59
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
Also Don Turtelli, Pinky McFingers, Big Louie, Mad Dog McMutt.

What about Irma, Burne and Vernon? Not sure about them.
And Tony Vivaldi. Irma will hopefully return, being the more "normal" side of April's life. The return of Burne and Vernon would probably require April being a reporter again, since I can't imagine any other works for Burne and Vernon.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #60
Pterobat
Hench Mutant

There's no one I can think of that I would like to see more of, or see again.

Even if I'm not interested in seeing more Bebop and Rocksteady, it's easy to tweak characters to fit stories of a different tone, while still being "themselves". If the rhino and the hog were brought back, they don't have to be quite as stupid and silly as they were in the OT, but just be refined to fit the tone of a new series, while still not being known for his intelligence.

My personal favourite example is 4Kids Stockman. Even though it's not literally true that the OT was an influence on his character, I think he works well as a more "serious" take on the situation that FW Baxter was in, with some of the same personality flaws, though nowhere near as exaggerated.

I don't know if IDW Krang is another example, since I haven't read those comics yet.

They're recognizably similar, but fit the tone of their respective series. The same could be done with whatever fan favourite somebody wants to bring back for a new type of TMNT.

http://pterobat.tumblr.com
Pterobat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybercubed thinks deep, idw, nick