Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
I didn't even know this came out.....
Old 08-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
A retro-styled beat 'em up with 2D sprites a'la Turtles In Time WOULD be a hit, as an indie download title. Fact.
It would be a "hit" in a niche market of aging gamers. It wouldn't move the needle in the way a new modern console installment would meaningfully, not even remotely.

Quote:
This just proves how out of the loop you really are, you just live in your own little world and have no clue of what's going on in the video game scene, retro is the all the rage in the industry right now, even more so now that Sonic Mania managed to break the Sonic curse and the Crash trilogy being the best selling game for weeks in a row.
Where are the numbers? These retro hipster "I'm in my 30s or 40s and I miss when games were 8 bit and side-scrolling" games are cornering a niche market. They're super cheap to make so any of them being a "hit" is a relative term with them. There's no way, say, "Mega Man 10" is doing the latest "Assassin's Creed" numbers, or anything. There is 0 appeal to anyone outside of our approximate generation.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-21-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #23
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Where are the numbers? These retro hipster "I'm in my 30s or 40s and I miss when games were 8 bit and side-scrolling" games are cornering a niche market. They're super cheap to make so any of them being a "hit" is a relative term with them. There's no way, say, "Mega Man 10" is doing the latest "Assassin's Creed" numbers, or anything. There is 0 appeal to anyone outside of our approximate generation.
Could be a reason why a lot of old franchises are dying off honestly.....personally I think a lot of consoles are sort of dying off bit by bit honestly. A lot of people are playing on their smart-phones anyway.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #24
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Well, to be fair, the original MMPR games back in the 90s weren't great brawlers either!
I'd say the Genesis movie one was decent. Not great, but certainly better than this and say like... Batman Forever arcade and TMNT Arcade Attack.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskater View Post
Could be a reason why a lot of old franchises are dying off honestly.....personally I think a lot of consoles are sort of dying off bit by bit honestly. A lot of people are playing on their smart-phones anyway.
My personal thinking is that as graphics and gaming technology has gotten to a point where it's all so intensive, there is soooo many people involved, it's taking longer and longer to offer new installments at a reasonable pace more and more as time goes on.

I mean, sh*t. 7 years between Final Fantasy XIV and Final Fantasy XV? 7 years between Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Odyssey? 10 years between Metroid Prime 3 and 4? It's been over 3 years since the last CastleVania game, and no new game is on the horizon? This is insanity.

When I was a kid it was like 1-2 years tops between games and that felt like forever. I don't know how young/new gamers are able to get hooked into any of this anymore.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #26
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
My personal thinking is that as graphics and gaming technology has gotten to a point where it's all so intensive, there is soooo many people involved, it's taking longer and longer to offer new installments at a reasonable pace more and more as time goes on.

I mean, sh*t. 7 years between Final Fantasy XIV and Final Fantasy XV? 7 years between Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Odyssey? 10 years between Metroid Prime 3 and 4? It's been over 3 years since the last CastleVania game, and no new game is on the horizon? This is insanity.

When I was a kid it was like 1-2 years tops between games and that felt like forever. I don't know how young/new gamers are able to get hooked into any of this anymore.
In between those good and awesome games nowadays are a lot of flops honestly....it's probably better to wait these days IMO. Plus online multiplayer I hear ties a lot of stuff over.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #27
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
7 years between Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Odyssey?
You need to get over this odd line of thinking; the last main Mario game was 3D World.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:48 PM   #28
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
You need to get over this odd line of thinking; the last main Mario game was 3D World.
Wasn't a bad game either
Old 08-21-2017, 11:48 PM   #29
Ninjinister
無問題

Not just not bad, it was probably my second favorite Wii U game after Smash, and probably one of my top 5 favorites in the last 5 years.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:40 AM   #30
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Not just not bad, it was probably my second favorite Wii U game after Smash, and probably one of my top 5 favorites in the last 5 years.
Definitely a game to have in the short WiiU library
Old 08-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #31
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
It would be a "hit" in a niche market of aging gamers. It wouldn't move the needle in the way a new modern console installment would meaningfully, not even remotely.

And there you go again, seriously, if you have no idea what you're talking about then just don't, or at least try to educate yourself before you do it.

Just go look at the best selling games on XBOX Live/Steam/PSN, most of the weeks it's a retro/retro style game as the top seller, like I said the Crash Trilogy has been number one ever since it came out, Sonic Mania is selling really well and it's the best rated Sonic game in 15 years. And Mega Man 10 just sucks, no one wants that, and FYI, not doing crazy numbers doesn't = flop.

Quote:

Really?

There has been 7 brand new Mario games since Galaxy (not counting non platform ones) including Galaxy 2.

FF XIV got trough a revamp that made it a brand new game, not only that but FFXV suffered a lot trough development so it took longer to come out, also, a lot of other non numbered FF games where released during those years.

Metroid like Mario had other released, 3 brand new ones between Prime 3 and 4.

Castlevania like every other Konami property that's not PES is dead and nothing will ever come out ever again (unless you count that horrible NOT-MGS game.

And games like COD, AC, and countless others are released on a yearly basis, it's like you don't know WTH you're talking about....
Old 08-22-2017, 06:55 PM   #32
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
And there you go again, seriously, if you have no idea what you're talking about then just don't, or at least try to educate yourself before you do it.

Just go look at the best selling games on XBOX Live/Steam/PSN, most of the weeks it's a retro/retro style game as the top seller, like I said the Crash Trilogy has been number one ever since it came out, Sonic Mania is selling really well and it's the best rated Sonic game in 15 years. And Mega Man 10 just sucks, no one wants that, and FYI, not doing crazy numbers doesn't = flop.

Really?

There has been 7 brand new Mario games since Galaxy (not counting non platform ones) including Galaxy 2.

FF XIV got trough a revamp that made it a brand new game, not only that but FFXV suffered a lot trough development so it took longer to come out, also, a lot of other non numbered FF games where released during those years.

Metroid like Mario had other released, 3 brand new ones between Prime 3 and 4.

Castlevania like every other Konami property that's not PES is dead and nothing will ever come out ever again (unless you count that horrible NOT-MGS game.

And games like COD, AC, and countless others are released on a yearly basis, it's like you don't know WTH you're talking about....
Old 08-24-2017, 10:16 AM   #33
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
I know some people might bawk at this idea ... but I really wish that the TMNT games would return to a traditional 2D, beat-em-up style of game play. Falling in love with Sonic Mania this week made me really yearn for classic TMNT style of video games.
That would be great. They should make a new beat'em but tie it into the FW series explicitly. I'd love to see a faithful recreation of the FW series as a game.

Quote:
Terrible idea. We can balk at it or not, but no one is going to buy such a thing in 2017. Super tiny business model consisting of maybe 1,000 nostalgiacs and hipsters.
The way you talk it's almost like Sonic Mania, Shovel Knight, Super Meatboy etc never happened. As Mikey might say "get with the program dude!"

Quote:
This just proves how out of the loop you really are, you just live in your own little world and have no clue of what's going on in the video game scene, retro is the all the rage in the industry right now, even more so now that Sonic Mania managed to break the Sonic curse and the Crash trilogy being the best selling game for weeks in a row.
Retro games do really well, yes Andrew doesn't make much sense when he says they don't sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Well, to be fair, the original MMPR games back in the 90s weren't great brawlers either!
The first Snes game based of MMPR was good, the Mega Drive game based off the movie was pretty good as well.

Quote:
There's no way, say, "Mega Man 10" is doing the latest "Assassin's Creed" numbers, or anything. There is 0 appeal to anyone outside of our approximate generation.
Assassin's Creed was at the height of it's popularity when MM 10 came out and from what I understand it wasn't that great a game. You've unintentionally raised a really good point which is that games like AC and COD are slowly doing poorly due to saturation. No one really wants more of those games either judging by sales and reviews.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #34
Avenger
Thug

What I don't understand, is why is a world where we have games like God of war, Dynasty Warriors or Batman Arkham, we can't have a properly 3D beat-them-all TMNT game.

MIM is good, but not great enough to remains in memories.

Of course, critics could say "This is a God of War rip-off" but... so what? (and I'm not talking about the blood and gore, but more about the gameplay mechanics)

I heard the studio in charge reproduced Crash Bandicoot games for PS4 trilogy from scratch, so don't tell me a studio can't properly reproduce gameplay fighting mechanics.

PS: Ok, Batman isn't a beat-them-all, but there is still a lot of fights in the game.
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #35
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
What I don't understand, is why is a world where we have games like God of war, Dynasty Warriors or Batman Arkham, we can't have a properly 3D beat-them-all TMNT game.

MIM is good, but not great enough to remains in memories.

Of course, critics could say "This is a God of War rip-off" but... so what? (and I'm not talking about the blood and gore, but more about the gameplay mechanics)

I heard the studio in charge reproduced Crash Bandicoot games for PS4 trilogy from scratch, so don't tell me a studio can't properly reproduce gameplay fighting mechanics.

PS: Ok, Batman isn't a beat-them-all, but there is still a lot of fights in the game.
Because TMNT is a licensed property, and those always get low budgets, you need big money to create something really good, that and for better and for worse TMNT is a kid's property, they won't waste huge budgets on something that sells on name alone...

And you already have a Batman Arkham TMNT clone, not as good but there's no denying the similarities between Out of the Shadows and Batman...
Old 08-31-2017, 10:58 AM   #36
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Because TMNT is a licensed property, and those always get low budgets, you need big money to create something really good, that and for better and for worse TMNT is a kid's property, they won't waste huge budgets on something that sells on name alone...
To be fair Batman is a licenced property as well.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:14 AM   #37
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:

And you already have a Batman Arkham TMNT clone, not as good but there's no denying the similarities between Out of the Shadows and Batman...
Batman is a license property too, but the thing is, the developers working on those games respect the source material, since its a very well known property that requires a lot of attention.

TMNT is a license property, but has the stigma that its a kids property, which is why they don't pay much attention to the source material, since there are so many different incarnations of it, they just come up with there own, Mutants in Manhattan is its own thing, even though the art looks inspired by IDW.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:43 PM   #38
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
there are so many different incarnations of it, they just come up with there own
There are more incarnations of Batman and Telltale is doing there own take on the origin. It's more so the specifics that are different.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:06 PM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Retro games do really well, yes Andrew doesn't make much sense when he says they don't sell.
Quote:
Assassin's Creed was at the height of it's popularity when MM 10 came out and from what I understand it wasn't that great a game. You've unintentionally raised a really good point which is that games like AC and COD are slowly doing poorly due to saturation. No one really wants more of those games either judging by sales and reviews.
OK, shut me up... show me the numbers, man. I want to see where Mega Man 9 or 10 or Double Dragon 4 outsold the latest Assassin's Creed or Arkham Knight or whatever.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:11 PM   #40
Powder
So tired of this place

They definitely never did, but games like that are equivalent to indie comics. It's foolish to compare them to the big 2, but in their class they perform very well. I dunno why you insist there isn't a market for them, you're outta yer element!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cferreira_is_loose_again, powder_the_cuck