The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
SlashMaster
Random Punk

Untitled Nobody Story (Tales TPB)

Anyone know where to find or have any scans for the Untitled Nobody Story that was only in the Tales of the TMNT TPB? I've managed to find everything from the Mirage universe except this and Spinal Tapped! I have any issue, back up story, or one shots for trade!

Last edited by SlashMaster; 09-03-2012 at 01:45 PM.
SlashMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Think I scanned it once and sent it to... DrSpengler, I think? He should have it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
gobo
Wacky Action

I know who my new best friend is.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Not anymore, sorry. : (

After I bought a copy of the 1989 Tales trade from Adam Winters and got a physical copy of the story, I deleted my scans.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'll see if I can track the scans down... I don't want to bend up my TPB again.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

You're in luck.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 09-03-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
SlashMaster
Random Punk

Wow! Too cool! Thanks a ton, Andrew! 7 seems to be an unlucky number. Let me know if there's anything you/anybody needs. Like I mentioned, I have scans of every canon issue/story/back-up, etc, except the Spinal Tapped story included in the other Tales TPB, now officially my last to hunt down haha. Gonna be my first time reading through (both overall and chronologically). I grew up on the Archie series and was a subscriber, so those are where my heart belongs but so far the Mirage series looks to be a great alternative!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Andrew, thanks for those great scans! It's nice to have those available online so I don't have to pull out my ol' TPB out of storage to read the story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Not anymore, sorry. : (

After I bought a copy of the 1989 Tales trade from Adam Winters and got a physical copy of the story, I deleted my scans.
Man, Spengs, you have such integrity!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

OK, I put page 7 in there.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #10
DK2
Stone Warrior

This short story's art clearly shows the first sign of Jim Lawson's art starting to migrate or devolve into his current art style. Which I just hadn't noticed. So loose and wobbly looking his people figures. I was always shocked at how "Shades of Grey" and "City at War" looked in 1992 from Lawson. But any of the art in these efforts still looks better than the present style. How the art changed so drastically is amazing. You see someone like how Barry Windsor Smith drew in his early art more like a John Buscema clone to his current structured, solid, anatomical people. It evolved. But Jim's style changed the other way to me. Sorry to bring this up but you just can't help but think of what you see.
DK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

While Jim Lawson's style has certainly changed over the years, I think a lot of people tend to confuse his "old style" far too much with the way the various inkers he had in the past inked his pencils (which drastically changed the look of his pencils... see "Return to New York," for example) with the way he was actually pencilling things.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #12
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
While Jim Lawson's style has certainly changed over the years, I think a lot of people tend to confuse his "old style" far too much with the way the various inkers he had in the past inked his pencils (which drastically changed the look of his pencils... see "Return to New York," for example) with the way he was actually pencilling things.
I've long theorized something similar, but I've never really tried to study the style change too closely.

I really like his work on the Bad Biker & Orson books. I wish he had kept drawing in something close to that style.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
FoxZerro
Stone Warrior

Thanks so much for posting this. I own the Treasury Edition of Tales and hadn't had a chance to read this story. Given the choice between the two I think I prefer Spinal Tapped
FoxZerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #14
Venom
Space Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post
This short story's art clearly shows the first sign of Jim Lawson's art starting to migrate or devolve into his current art style.
If you check out the comic's in the TMNT Magazine, his art style there is a lot like his current style, showing that his stylized art form isn't really that "new".
Old 09-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
SlashMaster
Random Punk

Now we just need to find a scan of Spinal Tapped! By the way, I completely agree on the Lawson thing. Regardless, I've always been a fan of either "stage" of his work!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
Xav
Foot Elite

I know this story is trying to do an anti-gun lesson. That violence leads to more violence. But what's the moral here? That if you are attacked by thugs let them beat you with baseball bats?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
I know this story is trying to do an anti-gun lesson. That violence leads to more violence. But what's the moral here? That if you are attacked by thugs let them beat you with baseball bats?
Seems like less of a "Don't use guns!" message and more of a cautionary, advisory message about, "If you do, just be aware there's a danger of escalation."
Old 09-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

I hope to god IDW reprints this and the Spinal Tapped story in their Tales trades.

I believe this is the only story I don't actually own of Mirage continuity, quite funny.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #19
Cipher
Foot Elite

Huh. First time I've had the chance to read this. I know DrSpengler mentioned hating it on his TMNTEntity blog, but I really don't think it's that bad. Like Andrew said, it's less a strictly "anti-gun" message, and a bit more of a morally ambiguous action romp. Notice the man is buying a .44 magnum at the end (I believe it's the same man?), when he previously failed to kill the kid with a .22.

Also, I love early '90s, transitional Lawson. It's my favorite era of his style. I dig it here, too, but the action and blocking are a little wonky, maybe because of the low page count.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #20
DK2
Stone Warrior

Tales of the TMNT we saw a hint of Jim's style. The odd cover he did alone. The interior was different because of Ryan Browns inking. Brown makes the TMNT rounded and has that slight cartoon TMNT look when over Lawsons art. I agree that "Return to NY" really was changed by the inkers and that Lawson was drawing off of the others' layouts as well. But the key issue to me is Part 1 TMNT #19. Laird inked over Jim but there was absolutely no duo toning in that one either. Peter clearly is one not to embellish the art beyond whats there on the page. So this to me this clearly shows Jims art how it really looked like before. Two other pieces are some TMNT pin ups by Jim. The TMNT Portfolio, Rapheal in the black standing all alone. Also another one I'd seen where the TMNT are battling a Triceraton. These pin ups clearly show Jim's style before. The huge muscle, kick ass looking TMNT. Those are the ones Jim drew before.
DK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mirage