The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you answer your phone?
Yeah, I pretty much do 5 26.32%
No, I usually don't 3 15.79%
Depends how I feel 3 15.79%
I don't talk on the phone if I can help it 4 21.05%
Hard no 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #21
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

I hate texts.

I'm like just call me get it over and done with instead of waiting for the other person to write back. Screw that, you need something just holla and the convo will be done within a few minutes instead of all freaking day.
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:02 PM   #22
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I'm not much of a phone person and largely just have a little flip phone for the occasion when I need it. People don't really call me on it because I generally just have it off. If I need to make a call I prefer to just use the house phone when home as I rather hate the sound of cell phone audio. Can't stand it when people, esp in public, insist on using speakerphone and force others to not only listen to their boring conversion but also that terrible tinny audio quality.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 12-08-2020 at 05:07 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #23
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I typically only answer if I know the number or it it's local, but that's been biting me in the butt since most "local" numbers lately have been extended warrantee calls for my car..
My mind set is if it is important they'll leave a voice mail and I'll call back.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:04 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

I've been getting a lot of spam calls from Asian callers.

Like it comes on in Chinese (I guess?) and the message immediately starts, "Ching chong tso hao choe bong!"

And I just delete the message. All these Asian voicemails I get all sound exactly the same, I can't tell the difference.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:24 PM   #25
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I've been getting a lot of spam calls from Asian callers.

Like it comes on in Chinese (I guess?) and the message immediately starts, "Ching chong tso hao choe bong!"

And I just delete the message. All these Asian voicemails I get all sound exactly the same, I can't tell the difference.
I have been getting a ridiculous amount of robo calls from numbers that are spammed to look local. This has been happening religiously for about two years now.

I don't even know how my phone's memory isn't tapped out from being filled with so many "Block this number" hits.

Health Care spam. Car Warranty spam. And what's worse is that I don't get the impression it's even legit. That would be bad enough but I'm pretty sure this $#!( is all some illegal call center spammer running a scam from some shitbag country somewhere.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:22 PM   #26
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I hate the ones that fake the number/area like that. Two or three times we've had the ones that somehow make your own name and number display on the caller ID, but I guess my dad's name is still what it comes up as for the house phone... so it came up as him calling. Of course, he passed away five years ago, so that isn't unsettling or anything.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:51 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Almost 100% of the time, when I get a voicemail, it's someone trying to sell me car insurance or refinance my payments. I don't drive nor own a car. If they say "This message is for _____" it's never, ever my name.

I'd love to know how the hell these people get my number.
Definitely gone are the days of, "I better answer this strange number! I wonder which of my friends this is?"
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:15 PM   #28
Leo656
The Franchise

What sucks is, I tell every single person I work for/with in wrestling that if they need to reach me directly on my cell, please text first and say "It's _____, I'm about to call you," because I don't have too many guys' numbers saved in my phone and I don't answer if I don't know who it is.

But then 100% of the time, it'll be after the fact when I didn't answer the phone, THEN they'll text me like "Bro trying to call you but you didn't pick up." In my head I'm like "I like the way you listen".

I imagine I probably missed a few potential bookings this way, but I seriously can't be assed to answer strange numbers. Last time I did, sure enough it was a bill collector. I figure if they REALLY wanna get me they'll text so I at least know what the heck they wanna talk to me about. Or at the least leave a voicemail. No text, no voicemail, no nothing? Must not have needed me that urgently.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:45 PM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

I mean usually when I get advertisements, spam calls, random phone calls and I answer the ring...I just immediately "hang up" (well you don't hang up cell phones anymore, you click "end") and don't say anything. You don't even have to respond, just as soon as you hear the first few lines you'll know it's a phony phone call and just turn it off and block the number.

Isn't it kind of funny in "the old days" people used to hang up their phones by slamming them down on the receiver? Now we just have cell phones so you just click "end" on the screen. I sometimes forget it's not the 1990's anymore.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:32 PM   #30
mrmaczaps
Banned

I answer the phone if its my mother or her parents or anyone I might be expecting to call... but otherwise, I just see who is calling & laugh... Lately its mostly spam calls. I hate texting though too so I expect if people want me, they will message via FB or Insta.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:57 PM   #31
ABrown
Banned

ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:06 PM   #32
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I've always had some problem with phones, don't know why. If I can chose I prefer to talk in person, face to face. Speaking to the phone makes me anxious.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:06 PM   #33
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I only answer the phone if its someone I know, My phone often rings, and its usually just scams, I have an app that tells me if a number is a scam or not.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 06-13-2021 at 07:13 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:00 PM   #34
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I got all my people with their names and pics, so unless I just ordered a Doordash or something and I can sorta tell it's them calling to know they got the right address, nope.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:17 PM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Jeeze, remember the days before there was even caller ID? When your home phone would just ring... and you basically had no choice but to answer it?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:54 AM   #36
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Generally my policy is I don't answer it unless they are a contact or I am expecting a call during a specific period .

Though a lot of times even if I'm waiting on a call and answer my phone hoping it'll be the person I wanted, it can still be spam sometimes... and then I feel like I was tricked, because anytime you answer calls from spammers/scammers they just start calling you more. Sigh.

It comes and goes. I might go a couple weeks without any spam calls, then all the sudden I start getting lots of calls again. Then it fades again.

I dream of a day when all this ******** is under control. The fact that our world governments can't come together and come up with some new standards to prevent this harassment is one of the great failings of our modern age.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote