The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion > Collection Photos

Notices

Old 04-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #2021
bronty
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticplayhouse View Post

maybe in a few years when the next tmnt dry spell hits, those pages will be going for a fraction of what they're trading for these days.

I think its far more likely that good early art will increase quite a bit than decrease. Comic collectors (ie the market for comic pages) see TMNT 1 as the most significant book of the last 30 years. That way of thinking has started to be reflected in the price of the printed comics and its hard to imagine a scenario where significant pieces of art don't follow suit.
bronty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #2022
bronty
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofistocat View Post
Yeah, I was pretty much talking about all the recent posts here and what it could do for the market. Though it was before my collecting time, I just thought the RTNY pages Eastman sold on the Heavy Metal page a while back have had a vigorous influx in demand to set the prices for the pages currently on ebay. It's just very un-precedented to see a Lawson penciled page go for multiple K's...

I see and agree Bronty's point but also agree with PPP as it's a page of OA and personally it doesn't matter to me if it's from the artist or not. But I will say that coming from the artist had had a direct causality for the bids being so high.

I'd say it's safe bet we won't see any sub-1K RTNY pages from Eastman, or maybe anyone. I think the art dealers are loving Kevin's auctions. And that's the concern I raised before with getting priced out.
I hear ya. Tell me about the Heavy Metal page sales? Didn't see them.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #2023
Sofistocat
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronty View Post
I think its far more likely that good early art will increase quite a bit than decrease. Comic collectors (ie the market for comic pages) see TMNT 1 as the most significant book of the last 30 years. That way of thinking has started to be reflected in the price of the printed comics and its hard to imagine a scenario where significant pieces of art don't follow suit.
agreed 100%

Like I said it was before my collecting time. I think Eastman used the HM website before he launched EastmanStudios.com. Someone else could probably confirm it. I know my RTNY page was sold on there for ~$250 - 300. The HM website is till around but doesn't have any TMNT whatsoever.

My Technodrome Forums TMNT Collection

My ComicArtFan Galleries

Buy Mark Martin's Original Art HERE
Sofistocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #2024
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Glad I got this bad boy when I did! Lawson and Laird, Issue 19, Opening pages 1,2, first book of this terrific 3 issue arc

Last edited by OA; 04-23-2014 at 05:39 AM.
OA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #2025
bronty
Thug

yes that's very nice Esp. since its so similar to the cover image
Old 04-23-2014, 03:55 AM   #2026
Sofistocat
Stone Warrior

I'm willing to bt in the right "sold by artist" format that Pete's inks would fetch more than Kevin's inks...

My ComicArtFan Galleries

Old 04-23-2014, 04:44 AM   #2027
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

Quote:
I'm willing to bt in the right "sold by artist" format that Pete's inks would fetch more than Kevin's inks...
without a doubt. most fans know that pete hords his art and really has no desire to sell any of it. for that alone, i'm sure his pages would be a little more saught after.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:33 AM   #2028
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky Poo Pie Head View Post
Glad I got this bad boy when I did! Lawson and Laird, Issue 19, Opening pages 1,2, first book of this terrific 3 issue arc

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ps6822f625.jpg
That truly is a work of art. The details on that are just gorgeous. Whats the size of that sucker?
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #2029
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Turtle View Post
That truly is a work of art. The details on that are just gorgeous. Whats the size of that sucker?
Oh man, this thing is stunning. And the image size alone is 15" X 21"; the duo shade board itself is bigger. It's great seeing Laird's inks on Lawson...not something we saw too much of.

And a note about these recent Eastman auctions...WOW! The piece that gets me the most is the New York Ninja one. It's not even from the main books and while nice, and classic E&L, it has some of the most dialog I've seen in a page. The $2300+ finish makes that Mike page from '85 look almost like a steal.

Like I mentioned via a PM conversation, the key will be to see what a NON- eastman run auction fetches. Heck, if these same exact pages were auctioned tomorrow by the new owners, would we see the same result? Now, through movie time, I expect things to be hot but these recent 4 pages have really surprised me. Either way, I think the days of sub $1000 early pages may have passed us by. And just last year I bought an issue #3 splash for $500 after I was the sole bidder...!
Old 04-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #2030
bronty
Thug

Yeah I didn't like the new york ninja piece (for the price) either. A couple nice panels but not a ton there to get excited about for nearly 2500. Makes pricing on other tmnt stuff seem pretty reasonable
Old 04-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #2031
bronty
Thug

I wonder if Kevin plans to sell more pages. I'd probably like to bid on the right page but it has to be the right page; nothing worse than buying a piece, receiving it in the mail, and knowing as soon as you see it that you're not quite happy with it and will sell.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:31 AM   #2032
discordiatookie
facehugger

Quote:
agreed 100%

Like I said it was before my collecting time. I think Eastman used the HM website before he launched EastmanStudios.com. Someone else could probably confirm it. I know my RTNY page was sold on there for ~$250 - 300. The HM website is till around but doesn't have any TMNT whatsoever.
Yeah I bought a couple of TMNT pages off of the Heavy Metal website a few years back. It had its own TMNT section... I believe after he set up the Eastman website, Kevin sold Heavy Metal, so it's understandable there's nothing left on there.
(Edit - I remember thinking it was pretty cool that the packaging it came in was all written out by Eastman himself... Think I've still got it up in the loft somewhere)

I got my RTNY page (also issue 21) in '07 or '08, from Steve Lavigne on ebay. Can't remember the exact price but it was roughly $60-$80 and I think I was the only bidder...seeing these prices is nuts!

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:26 AM   #2033
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky Poo Pie Head View Post
And a note about these recent Eastman auctions...WOW! The piece that gets me the most is the New York Ninja one. It's not even from the main books and while nice, and classic E&L, it has some of the most dialog I've seen in a page. The $2300+ finish makes that Mike page from '85 look almost like a steal.
i think the fact that the ny ninja was a complete story (start to finish on one page) led to it going for so much. at least, i found it apealing for that reason, even though it did have a lot of dialog.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #2034
Sofistocat
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticplayhouse View Post
i think the fact that the ny ninja was a complete story (start to finish on one page) led to it going for so much. at least, i found it apealing for that reason, even though it did have a lot of dialog.
Wasn't NY Ninja a 11 or 12 page story? I think it was in the 2nd Palladium book(adventures?). The one that Punky Pie has the cover to, with the white ninja outfit.

Anybody see this yet? ---> thoughts?

My ComicArtFan Galleries

Old 04-24-2014, 08:40 AM   #2035
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

Quote:
Wasn't NY Ninja a 11 or 12 page story? I think it was in the 2nd Palladium book(adventures?). The one that Punky Pie has the cover to, with the white ninja outfit.

you may be right. i didnt pay too much attention to the auction because within the first day it was out of my "what i'm willing to pay" price range. i noticed that it was an end story page and just assumed it was somekind of a singular story.

yeah, that page was on NSN for $1800 a few years ago. at the time, it was about $1400 more than i thought it was worth. most of the pages from that issue were sold for $125-250. i dig the page, but not for that price. for that money, i could buy a nice page from one of the early E&L issues. personally, i feel that that page is only worth about $800 max.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #2036
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Quote:

Yep, a 10 page story.

And yes, he's had that page for AGES...it was available back when I started collecting back in '07. And he's always had it priced way more that it's worth. I haven't looked it at years but it's amazing that he keeps bumping up the price. Very, very cool page no doubt but nearly 3k?!
Old 04-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #2037
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Second piece I won from CAPS 4 Sakai has arrived...

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1120539
Old 04-24-2014, 05:45 PM   #2038
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post

Great piece Matt!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #2039
Shogun26
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post

that is an amazing piece! As are the other Usagi's you have, very cool!

Guys...I think Turtle Mania is back for good.
Shogun26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #2040
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior

Some great pick ups!!!

I'm still trying to get an E&L page. I would kill for something from issue 5 or 6. I agree that some prices being asked are more than a little crazy.

The Usagi piece is bad ass, congrats dude.
TMNTChris1980 is offline   Reply With Quote