The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 06-23-2014, 12:03 AM   #61
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The problem with not having kids is who is going to look after you when you're 75 years old? The great thing about kids is when you're old and gray your kids, who will be like 40 year olds themselves by then, can help you with medical bills and such.

Just think about how your parents sometimes rely on you. Don't you want some kids to do that for you when you're 70 years old? Otherwise you'll be on your deathbed alone and alone. And alone.
I understand what you mean, but not everyone ends up the same way. How can you be so sure you won't die of a sudden heart attack at 40? Does not matter if you have family or not in that scenario. Plus, several people don't get along that well with their parents or just put them in nursery homes and never bother to visit them. Doesn't sound like a nice way to die to me. It's either that or the hospital bed. And your future kids might not be near you in your last minutes of life. And even if they are, you might not be conscious anymore.

Man, this thread is getting depressing now.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:03 AM   #62
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
When I have kids I'm going to make sure they like everything that I like. From about the age of 5 I'll make them re-live my childhood from the 80's and 90's.

My kids will be educated on Ninja Turtles, Batman, Spiderman/X-men, all the DC and Marvel cartoons of the 90's, Pokemon, Simpsons, and every classic cartoon I grew up. They will watch every episode of Ninja Turtles from all 3 cartoons and read every TMNT comic when they get to about 10.

I will also start them with Super Mario Bros. 1 on NES and make them work their way up through the entire Nintendo console history from there to whatever the newest Nintendo console will be by that time.

My kids won't leave the house until they've relived my childhood of everything Nintendo, TMNT, and DC/Marvel related from about 1985 to present day. It will be amazing.
So to anyone in the future who reads this and if the Technodrome Forums are still around, prepare for CyberCubed 2.0 everybody.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #63
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
So to anyone in the future who reads this and if the Technodrome Forums are still around, prepare for CyberCubed 2.0 everybody.
I think it's more likely for his kids to end up hating Nintendo, superheroes and especially the Turtles.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:15 AM   #64
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I think it's more likely for his kids to end up hating Nintendo, superheroes and especially the Turtles.
If CyberCubed is forcing it on his children, oh... the amount of therapy they'll need.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:28 AM   #65
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post
Actually Cubed, that is one of the 'jobs' that people push onto a child before it's even born. "I only had you because you'll wipe my butt when I'm old" isn't something that you want to push onto a child.

What if you had one and he can't take care of you? What if he's special needs, and you are the one wiping his butt when you are 50? The child you have might be normal, but if could also have Down's, autism, severe mental illness, etc.

Plus Cubed, the folks that I've seen in the nursing homes, were often placed there by their children. Ask the nurses if you ever visit one. Rarely do the children come to visit. Sure, they visit like crazy during the first few months, then they... start... dropping.. off... until the older person hasn't seen them in ages.

And as a final mention for tonight, just because you're old, doesn't mean that you automatically get decrepit. Becoming decrepit enough to need care is often brought about a tiny bit by genetics, but more often by the person not taking care of themselves and becoming sedentary. That is when you start to 'rust' and get many of frailties, because your body isn't being used much and you just sit around. There are 75 year olds who are running marathons, and they aren't some freak exception, but just oldsters who decided that they weren't going to let themselves fall apart and then make somebody have to care for them.
I agree with you, I don't want children either, butI feel that underlying pressure from people. I think to have children just so they look after you when your old is a selfish reason to have kids.

I also think it's selfish to have kids knowing that you are only doing so because "it's what most people do"

Most 50 + years want to live the last of their good years, not be committed to looking after an elderly parent.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:10 AM   #66
HotNunchuckFury
Foot Soldier

Quote:
When I have kids I'm going to make sure they like everything that I like.
Why don't you read some of the posts in this thread to understand how people feel about having other people's opinions and expectations pushed on to them?
HotNunchuckFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:08 AM   #67
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Quote:
The problem with not having kids is who is going to look after you when you're 75 years old? The great thing about kids is when you're old and gray your kids, who will be like 40 year olds themselves by then, can help you with medical bills and such.

Just think about how your parents sometimes rely on you. Don't you want some kids to do that for you when you're 70 years old? Otherwise you'll be on your deathbed alone and alone. And alone.

^^
This Guy managed just fine
Old 06-23-2014, 03:09 AM   #68
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Man, this thread is getting depressing now.
Totes. Maybe we should try to share some of the good things about getting older.

Like... you get to act superior about these kids today and their horrible music.

You know that if you break up with someone, you won't in fact die of a broken heart.

I don't know if this is true for everyone, but I'm a million times more self confident now than I was in my early 20's.

You have more perspective on things, and more life experiences to draw on.

You get to date more mature people.

You've had enough practice to be a dynamo in the bedroom.

See, there's good things in there!

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:29 AM   #69
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Totes. Maybe we should try to share some of the good things about getting older.

Like... you get to act superior about these kids today and their horrible music.

You know that if you break up with someone, you won't in fact die of a broken heart.

I don't know if this is true for everyone, but I'm a million times more self confident now than I was in my early 20's.

You have more perspective on things, and more life experiences to draw on.

You get to date more mature people.

You've had enough practice to be a dynamo in the bedroom.

See, there's good things in there!
I agree with the self-confidence thing.

Also, you'll be wiser and more knowledgeable about life and many other things(art, history, etc.). And ofc, the older you get the more mature you'll get as well, leading to better decision-making and better dealing with pressure and responsiblity.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:37 AM   #70
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
... better decision-making and better dealing with pressure and responsiblity.
Or at least more finely-honed procrastination skills.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
Old 06-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #71
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Quote:

Sure some people may want that but it may not be possible for that to happen. My BF and I don't want kids because he's legally blind and has a seizure disorder, and we don't want to risk passing that on to our own children. That's not to say the kids couldn't take care of us when they're older, but there's always that possibility that they wouldn't be able to, so we're not going to risk that. We could adopt, but the truth is that I just don't see myself as a mom, so we're not having kids at all. And if you don't have kids to take care of you, you could always have other relatives who could do that. It doesn't have to be your children.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:48 AM   #72
HotNunchuckFury
Foot Soldier

I hope that my children never have to look after me. That never even entered my head when deciding to have children. I had children simply because I wanted to spend a part of my life sharing it with children. I know I'm in the minority here but I just love kids. The thought that somewhere down the line they may have to spend part of their adult lives looking after me as an old lady is very depressing and I don't want that for them or me.

Anyway, back on topic. The confidence thing is what I was saying before. Yeah I had fun in my 20's, but I feel I wasted a lot of time avoiding situations and putting stuff off because I was too afraid of failure or what people thought of me, but I care less about that now and certainly feel more confident to try new things and follow my dreams. It's actually quite liberating. Yes I don't look as youthful, but is that really so important?
HotNunchuckFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #73
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Just sit back and remember that growing up, growing old, and being an adult are not all the same thing.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #74
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

I have been so busy that my birthday this year snuck up on me and as I was driving to my birthday party at my In-laws (my Mother In-law insisted that she throw me one- everyone gets one....) I finally realized "Oh, my gosh I'm turning 30!" and then realized.... Eh, doesn't seem to matter! I have had grey hairs since I was 12 years old and I just seem to get more every year. I stopped counting at 10 white hairs... I'm not interested in white hair unless I can get a big white strip like Rogue cause that would be cool!!! My body seems to disagree that I feel young- I've got arthritis in my neck and bad knees and I've had 4 hand surgeries and my memory is abysmal.... But I still feel young because I choose to feel that way.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #75
sdp
-

My problem with me hitting 30 in the next few years is that I don't feel like settling down yet. No offence but the 30+ people of course are going to say that "don't care for the social stigma or IT"S JUST YOU", because that's crap. Yeah life goes on in your 30s we're not denying that but your 20s are gone that part of your life is gone and you can't bring it back just how you can't bring back your teens. You are old now and just because I'll be 30 I won't be saying that it's the same as being in your 20s. And yeah what society thinks is important to a degree, do you respect a teenager who or guy in his 20 with a My Little Pony t-shirt or maybe a half naked anime girl? The whole "Don't care what people thing" has a limit. My main problem for me is I still want to settle down but just not now but I can't pause my life and i can't expect to have my first child in my late 30s, not to mention the older my wife is the more dangerous or the fact that my wife wouldn't want to wait that long. I don't want to be too old for my kid to do things, so yeah 30 is indeed a turning point in your life where you have to make decisions that will affect the rest of your life. It's not just a "number".

As far as forcing your kids like what you like it's just not going to happen, I remember trying that with my nephew and didn't understand how he didn't find the things I grew up with interesting, but it makes sense, I didn't find the things my dad grew up with interesting either, they want the new shiny stuff and while I'd like them to grow up from NES to current gen it's just not going to happen. He will have to choose what he likes and I'll be forced to watch it with him. Cybercubed actually makes pretty good points at times and is honest about many things people don't want to admit, the problem is the comment might already be "controversial" and then he posts some off the wall thing that helps disprove any good point he had and leaves himself open to ridicule.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #76
Leo656
The Franchise

As far as not having anyone to take care of me when I'm old, I kind of never worried about it. For one thing, I try and take great care of myself so I can prolong the inevitable physical deterioration that happens as you get older. And secondly - not to be too morbid or anything - I always planned on punching my own ticket once I couldn't take care of myself anymore. A person only "Lives" for a certain amount of years, and then for the last few at the end, they're less "living" than "existing", usually as a huge burden on someone else. So I figured I'd just clock out on my own when I figured I was no longer physically capable. I've never liked other people "taking care of me" and I don't even like having to rely on my wife for driving duties (long story, please don't ask about it).

So yeah, once I can't climb stairs or feed myself anymore I figure I'll have done all the good I can on this Earth. I never wanted to be a burden on anyone else.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #77
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
A person only "Lives" for a certain amount of years, and then for the last few at the end, they're less "living" than "existing", usually as a huge burden on someone else. So I figured I'd just clock out on my own when I figured I was no longer physically capable. I've never liked other people "taking care of me" and I don't even like having to rely on my wife for driving duties (long story, please don't ask about it).

So yeah, once I can't climb stairs or feed myself anymore I figure I'll have done all the good I can on this Earth. I never wanted to be a burden on anyone else.
Stan Lee is 91, and he's still living life to its fullest. If I make it to my 90's I'll still be playing videogames and watching cartoons unless I become physically uncapable of doing so.

Also with lifespans going on longer, now many people are making it to their 90's or 100's rather than dying at 75 like they used to. Barring any medical issues of course.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #78
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Cubed, I think Stan and those like him are more the exception than the rule. Yeah, people are living longer, but many are also forced to work for longer and postpone retirement due to the economy and other factors, and that takes a toll on the body. Obesity and other conditions also contribute, especially in this country. So thinking that you'll live to a ripe old age and still be capable of doing everything you could before- or even just staying active, is NOT guaranteed. Even healthy and physically fit people can still die relatively young, while guys like George Burns make to 100. It makes NO sense logically, it's just a matter of circumstance.

And like others said, don't count on your kids to care for you once you can't, because they may resent you, not get along with you, or whatever. And some kids simply don't want to interrupt their own lives to care for an aging parent. But as others have said, force-feeding them the things you love and enjoy is a sure-fire way to bring on that kind of resentment and disinterest. And that's assuming your kids don't have special needs of their own that keep them from taking care of you, or shorten their own lives.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #79
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
And yeah what society thinks is important to a degree, do you respect a teenager who or guy in his 20 with a My Little Pony t-shirt or maybe a half naked anime girl? The whole "Don't care what people thing" has a limit.
Not really - my lack of giving a crap about other people's opinions when it comes to how I live my life has zero limit. Seriously, it's actually impossible for me to emphasize how little I care. I used up all my f*cks for that sort of ish many years ago - it's a complete waste of time and energy. I mean, so someone disapproves of how I dress or something - so what? The sky's not going to fall. I'm not going to be ejected from the planet. Nobody's going to die. The world won't end.

And I couldn't care less if a grown man decides he wants to wear a bright pink Hello Kitty shirt five days out of the week - his body, his life, his business. Someone who's shallow enough to judge me based on whether I wear tshirts with children's cartoon characters on them isn't someone I want in my life anyway.

People only have as much power over you as you let them, dude. Life's too short to let other people make you unhappy.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #80
Leo656
The Franchise

Not to derail the thread, but I kind of see that whole thing both ways. There's a lot to be said about individuality and all that - god knows, it's not easy "rocking the mullet", and I've had to put up with a TON of sh*t just to NOT cut my hair, so I definitely think there's a lot to be said for the whole, "This is me, take it or leave it" attitude.

But that said, there IS a limit to how much you can get away with. It may be a sad fact, but it IS still a fact, that unless you're financially stable, and either don't care about finding a relationship partner OR already have a great one, that there's only so much of Yourself that you're "Allowed" to be.

Just a few personal examples. I have a few tattoos. I want a lot more. I'd have them going up and down both arms by now if it were entirely up to me. BUT, that's simply not going to happen until I either hit the lottery or am retired from the work force. Because visible tattoos are "Not Allowed" in 99% of jobs, especially those that actually pay, you know, more than minimum wage. So, if I wanna eat, I have to keep a lid on my individual expression.

Likewise, I've had long hair since 1993. Not a day goes by without me being asked, "So when are you gonna cut that sh*t?" I never PLAN to, and have gone through a lot to keep it, but even I am well aware, it's cost me a lot of opportunities in life and I kinda wish I wasn't so stubborn about it. It's objectively stupid to hang onto something like that when it's cost you jobs and money. Every interview I've ever had, the first question has always been, "So, would it be at all possible for you to cut your hair?" But I like it. But the truth is, if I didn't have it, I would absolutely not be as poor as I am, and that's another sad fact of life.

Manner of dress is another issue. I, personally, cannot stand wearing long pants or sleeves, and outside of work, I never do. But even though I work in a gym, I can only wear shorts or cut-off shirts when I'm working out on my own time. Even in wrestling, you'd think showing up a few hours before a show to help set up the ring wouldn't require a "dress code", but it does. The general rule is, "Business casual", or, "Like you're going out to a club." I never thought it mattered, but at one point a veteran pulled me aside and said, "Not for nothing, but the boss thinks it looks bad when you show up looking like a bum. You'll get more work if you dress a little more professional, not just here, but other places." So I adapted, even though it "wasn't me".

Basically, the most important thing in life IS money, after all, and that being the case, other people and their opinions of you DO control your life, to some degree, like it or not. Because if you aren't lucky enough to find a boss, or a boyfriend/girlfriend, looking to placate your "personal style", then you're pretty much S.O.L. Being single isn't so bad, but having no job definitely sucks, and sadly, most bosses won't hire certain "types" of people.

So, I say, be "Yourself" on weekends, and the rest of the time, just accept that you're a victim of other people's perceptions and prejudices. Unless you're rich, in which case, you already won the game and can do anything you want.

I frankly get a little annoyed with the "I'mma be Me no matter what" attitude, because that's exactly what got my wife fired from every single one of her jobs.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybercubed the timemaster, cybercubed thinks deep, cybercucked, same old song and dance, sjw is the new 30