The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-28-2018, 07:54 PM   #21
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Kinda reminds me of a mirage comic where the turtles are holding their weapons and contemplating how useful their weapons have been in the many battles they have faced. But now they are up against a foe where their weapons will be unable to help them.

Then they all approch Splinter nervously. Splinter then tells them Shellrot is fatal if left untreated and to kindly bend over and take their medication like men.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:21 PM   #22
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

But where do they get the medication from??? And at the proper dosage?
Old 07-29-2018, 01:45 AM   #23
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
But where do they get the medication from??? And at the proper dosage?
Never explained, the story is just a one-shot in a story in one of the Turtle Soup issues, so more than likely just TMNT story that isn't really canonical even though it is in the Mirage universe. The title of the story is called "Bearing the Burden"

And then, of course, the is the episode of the 1987 series where the turtles come down with the flu. The writers come up with a BS explanation of it being turtle pox which is an illness that only affects Mutant Turtles as an excuse for no one else to get it.

First thing wrong...the TMNT are the only mutant turtles in existence, so there can't be a known illness that affects only them aside from maybe any that affect Turtles in general.

Two pox is an illness that involves small itchy pustules and eruptions to appear on the face and body. So the turtles would have to look more like they came down with a case of the measles if you were going to call it Turtle Pox.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:15 AM   #24
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

They get their medication illegally delivered at airports , like Presley
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:04 AM   #25
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

They did contract that one disease in one of the old cartoon episodes which only affects mutant turtles. How does a disease like that spread? Haha.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:44 AM   #26
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Realistically they'd all be suffering from D3 deficiency and have MBD since they rarely go outside while there's sun.
Ha, even if their pizza obsession, the Fred Wolf Turtles were living healthier than just about ever other incarnation of the franchise!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #27
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

So apparently in regards to the food issues, turtles (and alligators) can digest even rotting food and not have worry about some parasites (as explained here), so there's probably going to be a little less issue, but there's still the problem of nutritional deficiencies.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #28
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

While I don't personally equate that much regular turtle stuff to them, being mutated and all and gaining a lot of human qualities... if they still had a boost in the tolerance level, well I suppose it would kind of explain some of the gross concoctions Mikey might willingly eat.

Was trying to go to sleep last night and was laying there considering the fact that, given their lives, these poor boys at one point or another would very possibly suffer from night terrors or a similar panic some PTSD suffering veterans might experience.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:40 PM   #29
Ulisa
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Was trying to go to sleep last night and was laying there considering the fact that, given their lives, these poor boys at one point or another would very possibly suffer from night terrors or a similar panic some PTSD suffering veterans might experience.
Truthfully, all the turtles have the potential for not only PTSD but Complex PTSD. I was actually surprised that the 2k3 series actually addressed it, though briefly in Season 4. When I ran Leonardo of that series through the diagnosis for it, just for fun, he met every single one of them.
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #30
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

That's so sad. But one of the better series for sure to actually touch on it, even if unspoken, and look deeper into him beyond just being the leader guy. Still annoyed at April in the "Sons of the Silent Age" ep for not hugging the poor guy when she goes to talk to him.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #31
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Still annoyed at April in the "Sons of the Silent Age" ep for not hugging the poor guy when she goes to talk to him.
I can't say anybody is really obligated to hug anyone else at any time for any reason.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:54 AM   #32
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Yeah...I can assure you that hugging is not always the best course of action.
ESPECIALLY when PTSD is involved.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #33
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Yeah...I can assure you that hugging is not always the best course of action.
ESPECIALLY when PTSD is involved.
Well, fair enough if it was the sort and he was in the throws of some flashback episode and/or other freak out and could unintentionally lash out.

Fortunately, so to speak, he was mostly 'just' beating himself up with obsessive replaying of events in his mind, distorting his own memories of it, and eventually hitting a breaking point in the stress and guilt he was putting on himself. Maybe she's not required to hug him, but he was just brooding and still in his right mind, able to clearly discuss it... At least that part of that ep always makes me want to.

It's a shame that within their family it was never straightforward addressed was had been going on with him, rather than him just returning home all better, the end.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 08-07-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:16 PM   #34
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Honestly, I think IDW addeessed that much better. After he was brainwashed, he did indeed act as if dealing with PTSD, even if they never specifically stated it. Mikey came the closest to saying it, in his letter to Woody. But yeah, I liked the fact that the 2003 series actually tried to touch on those issues.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:51 PM   #35
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Honestly, I think IDW addressed that much better. After he was brainwashed, he did indeed act as if dealing with PTSD, even if they never specifically stated it. Mikey came the closest to saying it, in his letter to Woody. But yeah, I liked the fact that the 2003 series actually tried to touch on those issues.
He wouldn't have had PTSD immediately following the events of his brainwashing though. You have to have PTSD symptoms for at least a month before it is PTSD. Anything earlier then that is acute stress disorder.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:39 PM   #36
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Regardless, he was seriously traumatized by the entire ordeal, plus the long-term effects from the brainwashing itself (especially considering how long that lasted- it was days, if not a week or more). And he took quite a while to get over that, even AFTER returning from Northhampton. We really don't know exactly how long they were there, either. It was at least a week, probably longer, given some of what happened. And he was still feeling some effects from it all, even weeks later after retruning to New York. He even still has flashbacks about Shredder long after Shredder's defeat and death. I'd call that a clear-cut case of PTSD.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:04 PM   #37
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I'm really surprised Don doesn't have a little more post-traumatic stress after his near-death experience.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:54 AM   #38
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I'm really surprised Don doesn't have a little more post-traumatic stress after his near-death experience.
Not everyone experiences ASD and PTSD instantaneously following a traumatic event. Some people actually go weeks, months, even years without suffering any adverse effects of the traumatic experience. For some the only sign of an adverse effect is maybe the person in question going quiet or becoming more reclusive on the date of the event.

Say for example if you were in a car accident on April 30, and you continued to live your life as though nothing happened. But every following April 30 you suddenly don't want to go anywhere near a car.

Other people, they need experience or witness an event that triggers the traumatic stress.

Say, for example, you are shot in the shoulder. You go through the physical therapy and make a recovery. But then one day you hear a car backfire or you see someone that looks like they are carrying a firearm and that triggers the stress disorder.

In Donnie's case, it depends on the situation or event.

For 2k3 Donnie after he is turned back from being a feral minded monster. Despite his brothers telling him about what happened, he claims he doesn't remember. This means two things, he either does not remember like he said. Or he doesn't remember because he doesn't want to remember.

2k12 Donnie also has a number of near deaths and one actual death. There is no aftermath or revisit of that either. However in Heart of Evil Donnie is out for Vizioso's blood to the point of jeopardizing the mission. Yet, Donnie hasn't vowed vengeance on any of the people involved with any of his near deaths, nor has he held a grudge against April for his actual death. So what made Vizioso different. The reason for that is Splinter. Splinter was murdered before the very eyes of his sons by the Shredder. The Shredder has been defeated, but Donnie still knows Vizioso is gunning for mutants. So he wanted to take out Vizioso before he was a threat because he was afraid of seeing someone else he loved being taken from him.

IDW Donnie- they haven't had PTSD symptoms with him yet regarding the events of issue 44. They do hint that he is subconsciously affected by the event, but he hasn't had a full break down as of yet.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #39
Ulisa
Foot Soldier

Another thing to remember is that just because you go through a traumatic experience does not guarantee you’ll develop ASD or PTSD at all. Different people have different levels of what we call resilience and it’s all individually based. So, someone might be involved in a major car wreck with several fatalities and be able to go back to their life with no lingering effects whereas another person can see a car wreck from a distance and develop full blown PTSD. It all depends on the person.
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plastron is concerned