The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Fan Creations > Fan Works Discussion

Notices

Old 11-20-2014, 08:04 AM   #21
goodbadgeeky
Random Punk

Just showcasing an update. Still chugging along.

goodbadgeeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:13 AM   #22
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

I'm certainly keeping up with the comic. Beautiful work!
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #23
Birdman37
Random Punk

I would def. get a physical copy of the book but good lord you have to pledge $25 a month for it? That is insanity.
Birdman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #24
goodbadgeeky
Random Punk

It seems excessive, but without talking specifics of Eryck and I's contract (which is bad form If I did) I will say this: it just didn't make sense financially to offer the book to patrons for anything lower than $12 a month for a full year (see: anyone who did not help contribute to paying for at least 3 pages of art).

That may hurt us cos it is costly, but at the same time, it's a chance we have to take. And, maybe down the line I am open to "Add-Ons" or "One-Time Donations" , etc that will incorporate anyone who supports 1 page gets one book, etc. or maybe even just the book itself. I'm more concerned about book 2, 3, etc being able to be done though.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #25
Birdman37
Random Punk

Sorry to be a dick but that makes no sense to me... wouldnt it make MORE sense and you be MORE than likely to make money if you printed a certain amount of copies and just sold those? Even at a ridiculous price for the book, like $12 Im sure you would prolly make as much if not more. I mean really, how many people are going to be willing to pretty much give you $144 for a comic book... a fan book at that. Come on.
Birdman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #26
goodbadgeeky
Random Punk

I can only tell you why we’re doing it the way we’re doing it.

So generally as a whole, the art alone for UTMNT # 1 costs generally around $4,000.00. That is before the book gets even made. Making the book collectively, would prolly be around $9.00 for Issue #1 printing and shipping (US only) give or take. The point of the Patreon is to pay for the art of the book. At this rate, that means that yeah, you have a physical copy of UTMNT # 1 in your hands, but I’m outta luck, I can’t keep UTMNT going cos I can’t pay Eryck.

Paying for just the comic book alone, it comes down to you are robbing Peter to pay Paul. Or Stealing Pizza from Michelangelo and giving it to Leonardo. Or whatever works for you here.

So the reality is… this physical comic book is bonus. You are donating to me so I can then in-turn just give it right back and pay Eryck for the art work. The physical comic book is bonus.

But again, I see your viewpoint as well. I really don’t see it as you describe, with you being a d*ck. You just don’t find it practical, and I am not going to change your mind on that (and vice versa), which is fine.

And if others agree with you, that too, is also fine. All I ask at the end of the day is that if you don't dig the comic thats okay, but if you DO dig the story and comic as a whole, spread the word. In your case, (I am making the assumption) that since you do not dig what is offered on patreon then only share the comic url link (not the patreon) with others. Or if you feel inclined, share both, or, don’t do either.

Last edited by goodbadgeeky; 11-26-2014 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typos, typos.... everywhere.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #27
Powder
So tired of this place

4 G's? The guy's work is cool & all but no-where near the asking price in quality. You could literally hire a former Mirage Studios artist for that or less, & they made the TMNT popular!
I mean, sheesh, you're not even coming out of it with any original art to collect/re-sell, it's just digital pages (as far as I can tell).

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #28
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

the art is very nice and I am a firm believer that an artist can ask what they feel is fair for their hard work and dedication, but I'm with powder when it comes to cost vs gain, $4k could have likely gotten you mike dooney for an issue...jim Lawson/dan berger for sure. maybe even ross Campbell.

anyways, I wish you the best with this comic. it does look like it's going to be very cool!
Old 11-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #29
goodbadgeeky
Random Punk

On a whim back in 2011, I did speak to a Mirage artist at the beginning when I was cooking this up and looking at my options and when I inquired, I was given a price higher than $100.00 for a page. Which is perfectly fine, he deserves, as does Eryck, fair $$ for their time and craft as you stated.

BUT...

If I take the amount that was given to me for Issue # 1 by Lawson, I would be paying around $6,500 - $7,800+. So I don't see how $6,500 - $7,800 is better than $4k. But hey, that's just me.

Plus, I am beyond proud of Eryck and glad that I ended with him. And I wouldn't change it for anything.

Last edited by goodbadgeeky; 11-28-2014 at 07:28 AM. Reason: I does math poorly.