The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 03-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #521
JameO
Mad Scientist

No problem at all, I understand it can be a hassle. Never knew Linksys sold network cards, very interesting, hope you figure out, and ill always be there to help, add me on MSN or AIM if you want.

AIM - JamieTheAmazing
MSN - mbcjameo@hotmail.com

MSN would be preferred but I have AIM as well.

if anything, you could dual boot when you install, so you can fiddle with it and get help with Ubuntu and all that, while still being able to use Windows XP. Just make two partitions, install Windows XP first, and then Linux secondly on a different partition, it will change the boot loader, so you can boot both, by just selecting which one you want at startup. Anyways, best of luck!
Old 06-15-2008, 06:59 PM   #522
Roseangelo
Emperor

OK, I have an older computer that I've just reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP on. That went just fine. The one thing I can NOT get to happen is for the drivers for the monitor to update. I have the disc with the drivers, I just can't get the machine to install and recognize them.

Here are three screen shots I took of the places I went to try to get it to work.

One
Two
Three

It's one thing for a computer to do things that drive you mad, but having to stare at 640x480 resolution while it drives you mad is just cruel and unusual.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:50 PM   #523
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru

If you haven't tried this already, right-click the "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" entry and pick "Update Driver..." to go through the Hardware Update Wizard. From there, choose No for connecting to Windows Update, choose "Install from a list or specific location" on the next screen, and point it to the location of the video card drivers.

Another idea is to look for the latest video card drivers online by visiting the manufacturer's website. It may be that the drivers on the disc are outdated and possibly have issues that have been resolved in a newer version.

"My motherboard's microchips are chomping at the... 'bit'. A little computer humor." --Krang, Welcome Back, Polarisoids
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:02 AM   #524
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krang View Post
If you haven't tried this already, right-click the "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" entry and pick "Update Driver..." to go through the Hardware Update Wizard. From there, choose No for connecting to Windows Update, choose "Install from a list or specific location" on the next screen, and point it to the location of the video card drivers.
I do that and it says, "The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software."

Quote:
Another idea is to look for the latest video card drivers online by visiting the manufacturer's website. It may be that the drivers on the disc are outdated and possibly have issues that have been resolved in a newer version.
Yeah, I actually did just use the drivers I found on the website. Arg.

A hah! Found a different driver and now the monitor is happily at its native resolution.

Last edited by Roseangelo; 06-17-2008 at 12:40 AM.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #525
Sewer Bull
Devil's Advocate

Would keeping a laptop on my crotch make me infertile?

Didn't know where else I could have posted it, so I chose the tech thread, since the issue is PC-related.

Soooo... THIS is how you spend your free time now?!
Sewer Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #526
Super Moderator

......what?

Prolonged exposure to your crotch area will not affect your sperm count. It doesn't generate enough heat to have any kind of effect.

I can't believe I just seriously answered that. But if you were genuinely concerned about this, I apologize.
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #527
Leonardo Mystic
Stone Warrior

I find this to be quite strange, but twice in the past month, my computer decided to randomly delete my cookies and temp files on its accord. Now, it has never done this before, so I'm thinking something was checked to do this somehow? I don't know a whole lot about computers, but I certainly wouldn't check something that I had to re-login everywhere I had saved passwords every month.

What do you think might be the culprit?

And thank you for your time.

Leonardo Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:46 AM   #528
Super Moderator

Could be some kind of cookie in of itself that erases your saved information. I've never heard of such a thing, but it's not entirely impossible. Could be a virus, too, something you got while browsing the internet. Just run a simple virus scanner and see what you can find. That's about all I can think of.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #529
Dr. Doom
Allons-y!

EDIT: NVM, figured it out myself. LoL.

Last edited by Dr. Doom; 08-05-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #530
Mr. Snackpants
Keep cool my babies!

I want to get something off of my DVR, whether it be to my computer, dvd recorder, whatever. How can I do this/Is it possible? I've seen lots of conflicting things on teh netz.

If it helps there's a usb, eSATA, and IEEE 1394 port on the back of my DVR.
Mr. Snackpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #531
Super Moderator

I've never used a DVR, myself, but if there's a USB port on the back, I assume it's for uploading stuff to it, and not taking it from the DVR. The same should go for the other ports. There may be a way, but I cannot give you the answer to it. I'm sorry I couldn't help.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #532
Raphael_
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai View Post
I've never used a DVR, myself, but if there's a USB port on the back, I assume it's for uploading stuff to it, and not taking it from the DVR. The same should go for the other ports. There may be a way, but I cannot give you the answer to it. I'm sorry I couldn't help.
Even that's up to speculation as that depends on what the content providing company has locked or unlocked on the box.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #533
Mr. Snackpants
Keep cool my babies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai View Post
No problem. I just thought I'd try. It's a pain in the ass trying to figure this out, because nothing is concrete. I'm just gunna give up.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #534
Mr. Snackpants
Keep cool my babies!

Figured it out. It was as simple as running my DVR through my DVD Recorder and then to my TV. Although I don't think I can do it in HD, but this is good enough. I read this couldn't be done but, viola.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:11 PM   #535
CJStyles
Hench Mutant

Is it possible for someone to put a keylogger in a pop up? cause i was on this site trying to get instrumentals and this thing popped up and was like but this or skip ad and i clicked skipped add and it brought me back to the page I wanted but I had to go back several pages back to get the thing to work again... just wondering
Old 08-20-2008, 12:23 AM   #536
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru

What you're describing sounds more like a poorly coded floating ad than a keylogger, so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

"My motherboard's microchips are chomping at the... 'bit'. A little computer humor." --Krang, Welcome Back, Polarisoids
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:59 AM   #537
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Okay this is drving me up a ****ing wall. I have an older Sony DSCP31 Camera, and for some reason it doesn't want to work on my computer anymore. I can't find updated drivers for Vista for this camera, (And Sony's site says it should just plug in and work.) and Ive updated my USB drivers for my computer already. It seems to work on other computers just fine, but on mine it just stopped one day.

Depending on what USB drive I put it in, the front tells me "USB Device not recognized" and the back USB Ports almost work, but when trying to retrieve the images it tells me "A Device attatched to the system is not functioning"

Does anyone have any idea at all of what I could try to make this camera work? I just can't afford another one right now.
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #538
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

What worked for me was to get one of these card-reader things. They cost like $20 and you can read any given memory card with them. Just take the card out of your cam, put it into the reader and you're set.s
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #539
AquaParade
Banned

Just posted this in another thread...but this is probably a much better place for it...

I downloaded a torrent, and got "Error downloading codec" The windows media player, plays the audio, but the screen is black. Thanks for any help you can provide (:
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #540
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

XVid, DivX, Combined Community Codec Package.

Get those. Also, way to openly talk about piracy.
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote