The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 04-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #161
tlg80
Foot Soldier

More amazing gifs. I can't think of any I'd like to have at the moment. Love seeing Mikey dance, its cool. And Leo's expression is priceless.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #162
demonsweat
Stone Warrior

Another. I love doing these looping bandanna tail gifs, it makes them look so badass.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #163
demonsweat
Stone Warrior

Okay, so... I managed to find a solution to my slo-mo problem. Still not sure why they're automatically saving so slow, though I suspect it has something to do with me using such high res caps to build them with.

Anyways, I upgraded to CS6 this week and learned that you can convert the animation to timeline mode, export it and render it, allowing you to tweak the frame rate as you wish (something I really missed from when I was using Gimp). So check it out - here are those battle gifs again at normal speed (30fps). Huge difference!

edit: re-uploaded. NOW these should be closer to the correct speed.

don
Spoiler:

leo
Spoiler:

raph
Spoiler:

mike
Spoiler:

Last edited by demonsweat; 04-16-2013 at 04:57 PM.
demonsweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #164
Martin
Stone Warrior

^ wow now they are showing up super fast for me xD

If you upgraded to CS6, now you are probably using the same method I'm using. The delay I pick for each frame is 0.04 seconds. Not sure why you are having problems with that though, when I import the video the delay is preseted to 0.04 (you can import a video sequence by going to file->import->video frames to layers). Also, if you think that working with high res pics is screwing up your work, you can go to 'image->image size' and change the resolution of the whole sequence to make it easier to work with.

Oh and btw, don't use IE explorer to see your gifs! They play way slower in there for some reason. If you fire them up in chrome they run at normal speed.

edit: I made some more

Raph is a badass:
Spoiler:

Aim for the head:
Spoiler:

Knee to the face:
Spoiler:

Front flip for style:
Spoiler:

Target locked:
Spoiler:

I never thought I'd live long enough to see a tmnt fire a bazooka:
Spoiler:

That's all for now.

Last edited by Martin; 04-13-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #165
tlg80
Foot Soldier

So many amazing gifs. Love leo and Mikey's fight scene. Raph and Donnie's were great too.
Then there's Raph flinging his sai. And Leo getting a knee to the head. Is it okay if I used one? I know I'm using one now that d.s. made.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #166
Martin
Stone Warrior

^ I don't really mind anyone using these. It's not like I own the content or anything like it, so feel free to help yourselves with them (:
Old 04-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #167
tlg80
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinf View Post
^ I don't really mind anyone using these. It's not like I own the content or anything like it, so feel free to help yourselves with them (:
Thanks. Just wanted to make sure.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #168
demonsweat
Stone Warrior

Quote:
^ wow now they are showing up super fast for me xD

If you upgraded to CS6, now you are probably using the same method I'm using. The delay I pick for each frame is 0.04 seconds. Not sure why you are having problems with that though, when I import the video the delay is preseted to 0.04 (you can import a video sequence by going to file->import->video frames to layers). Also, if you think that working with high res pics is screwing up your work, you can go to 'image->image size' and change the resolution of the whole sequence to make it easier to work with.

Oh and btw, don't use IE explorer to see your gifs! They play way slower in there for some reason. If you fire them up in chrome they run at normal speed.
Yeah, they are a little too fast, aren't they? Hm. That's with a zero delay setting, 30fps. I messed around with it some more and found out that tweaking the fps really has no effect after all, which I find strange. Furthermore, changing the delay even slightly (0.01) causes a significant drop in speed - almost as slow as the first set I posted. It's weird. I tried reducing the image size, even before importing them and still, no change. (Oh and I use Chrome by default, so it's not a browser issue either).

The one difference I see is that you're importing video, whereas I've been manually building layers from individual screenshots. I use VLC player so I could try that - I really should, because it seems much faster - but really, my current method should be working too, at least according to the tutorials I've watched. I'll mess around with it some more this week and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks for the tips, though! Great set of gifs too. I knew that slo-mo Leo launching off the car would make a good one.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #169
Martin
Stone Warrior

^ Hey, are you sure the video you are using runs at 30 fps? Because the ones I use run at 24. I don't know how you calculate the delay between frames, but maybe that's why your gifs are running faster than they should.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #170
demonsweat
Stone Warrior

Quote:
^ Hey, are you sure the video you are using runs at 30 fps? Because the ones I use run at 24. I don't know how you calculate the delay between frames, but maybe that's why your gifs are running faster than they should.
Well remember, I'm not importing video. I set the fps myself when I rendered the gif in timeline. Which I played with - I tweaked everywhere from 10-100 fps - but couldn't see any difference. It's like it didn't have any effect at all.
Spoiler:

This is where I'm a little sketchy because I'm not understanding what the whole timeline business is about. It allows you to render the video, but I'm not sure what good that does. I was hoping I could alter the frame rate there.
As for the delay, that's something I set in the animation panel, here:
Spoiler:

Now, if I save the gif without rendering in timeline, it ends up coming out slow, which was my original problem. Here's an example (set to zero delay).
Spoiler:

Here's the same gif, rendered through timeline. The one on the left is set to "no delay" in the anim panel; on the right is set to "0.1" - the very next option. See how big the difference is? I cannot figure out why this is happening.
Spoiler:

If you see anything boneheaded I'm doing here, by all means call it out. I'm gonna sift through some more info and experiment with importing video next. It looks like I can also alter the frame rate through the VLC player, so I'll play around with that too.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #171
Martin
Stone Warrior

Mmm I 'm not sure what the problem is. Could you send me the psd file? This is a mystery that needs to be solved
Old 04-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #172
demonsweat
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Mmm I 'm not sure what the problem is. Could you send me the psd file? This is a mystery that needs to be solved
Haha, thanks man! I do appreciate the help. PM me with your email and I'll send it along.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #173
Martin
Stone Warrior

Oh dude, I just read something in your post that would have saved me a lot of work:

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsweat View Post
Here's the same gif, rendered through timeline. The one on the left is set to "no delay" in the anim panel; on the right is set to "0.1" - the very next option. See how big the difference is? I cannot figure out why this is happening
The correct value is 0.04 (at least that's the one that works for me). Ps doesn't give you the number we need among it's presets, that's why you gotta set the correct value manually, like this:
Spoiler:

And then you'll get something like this:
Spoiler:
I've gotta admit that it still looks a bit too fast but I believe that is the actual speed of that sequence and not a mishap.

Think about it this way: the bigger that number is, the slower the gif will play. That's why your gifs were running so slow. Also, there is no thing as 'no delay'. I know the option is there, but, to practical means, it is useless. If you pick that option Ps just sets the value to who knows what (my guess is 0.2 but I haven't checked), since it's physically impossible to have no delay between frames and there has to be a delay, otherwise there wouldn't be an animation.

Here is a comparison with other values, I'll put them in the following order: no delay; 0.05; 0.07. To me this gif looks the best with a 0.05 delay.
Spoiler:

I imported the individual images of another sequence and compared it with my usual method to see the difference. Here are the results (I'll post in the following order: usual method, alt method with no delay; 0.03; 0.04):
Spoiler:

As you can see, the one that resembles the most to the original is the one that has the 0.04 delay between frames. I would have done this comparison with the other video but I didn't know from what ep that scene was from.

Cheers, and I hope you find this useful.

edit: btw, you can calculate the correct delay by dividing 1/fps of your video. If the video you are using indeed runs at 30fps, then the value that is closest to that would be 0.03, since 1/30=0.033...; but, as you can see, it's far from perfect (there is a 0.0033... difference). Instead, if your video ran at 24fps, then 1/24=0.04166...; the difference would be 0.00166... which is much smaller than the one we calculated for the 30fps one ^^

Last edited by Martin; 04-15-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #174
demonsweat
Stone Warrior

Arghh... I just knew it was going to be something simple I overlooked. Yup, I missed that extra decimal point in your post too.

Can't thank you enough, Martinf!! I went back and reuploaded those battle gifs in my previous post (the ones that were too fast). Now I've got them at 24fps and a 0.04 delay and it looks damn near perfect to me. Like I said before, I started making gifs in GIMP initially, which lets you set your own fps value per layer, so this whole delay thing threw me for a loop. It is weird that they have a "no delay" option that does nothing, though.

Whew, now that that's settled... on to making gifs!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #175
demonsweat
Stone Warrior

Here's a couple of funny loops from the last ep:

Spoiler:

Old 04-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #176
Martin
Stone Warrior

^ Hey, how do you make the looping bandana ones? I mean for these you just duplicate the sequence and inverse the order of the duplicates, right? Thing is, you can't do that for the bandana ones.

I'm asking this because I need to turn a 2 second scene where the turtles are facing the 'camera' (headbands swirling in the wind), into a 10 second shot
Old 04-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #177
demonsweat
Stone Warrior

Quote:
^ Hey, how do you make the looping bandana ones? I mean for these you just duplicate the sequence and inverse the order of the duplicates, right?
Yup, exactly.

Quote:
I'm asking this because I need to turn a 2 second scene where the turtles are facing the 'camera' (headbands swirling in the wind), into a 10 second shot
You gotta get lucky with the bandanna ones. Usually the animators will loop the sequence themselves, if you watch it frame-by-frame. I just pull out out the exact frames (somewhere between 5-10 normally) and let it go (and slow it down, for effect). From there you could just copy that sequence over a few times, or tweak the delay, or both.

Even if it's not a perfect loop, typically you can get it close enough that the eye won't catch it - just watch the motion of the tails and edit accordingly. The tricky part is getting a sequence where nothing else is moving in the scene - that's where the luck comes in.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #178
Martin
Stone Warrior

^ dammit, I knew it... *sight* so far of all the times I've tried it I never got it right. I'll try slowing it down a bit as you said to see if that helps.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #179
laufeysons
New Recruit

hey does anyone have the gif of the pulverizer trying to slide and knock over the kraang droid with his legs or the one where's he's trying to do the same to Donnie?
laufeysons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #180
Martin
Stone Warrior

Well, as of late, demonsweat and I kind of turned this thread into a gif Q&A, so to get things back into track here are some gifs from the last ep:

He needs to take a bath:
Spoiler:

What we've been up to:
Spoiler:

Paddle faster!:
Spoiler:

Traumatized for life:
Spoiler:

Not that kind of sub:
Spoiler:

Oh and I also had this one laying about. Not sure from what ep it came from:
Spoiler:

edit: I reduced the fontsize in the 'not that kind of sub' gif

Last edited by Martin; 04-28-2013 at 12:06 PM.