The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-06-2016, 11:10 AM   #21
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek29 View Post
Watch it with younger cousins not too long ago. Only thing they really commented on was the swearing thinking it was cool. So more or less our reactions at the time.
Of course little kids think swearing is cool.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:07 AM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

Literally the only swearing in this movie is, "Damn" which is very mild. You don't hear "bitch" or "dumbass" in this movie like you would modern superhero movies.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:28 AM   #23
Powder
So tired of this place

Doesn't somebody say "Bitchin'" at some point, or was that only left over in the comic adaption? I'm pretty sure that word has ties to the film one way or another.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:44 AM   #24
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

It does - Raphael says "Bitchin!" while he and the rest of his bros are high 'threeing' after the supposed death of The Shredder, before Splinter mentions that he "has always like ..Cowabunga."

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #25
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Literally the only swearing in this movie is, "Damn" which is very mild. You don't hear "bitch" or "dumbass" in this movie like you would modern superhero movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Doesn't somebody say "Bitchin'" at some point, or was that only left over in the comic adaption? I'm pretty sure that word has ties to the film one way or another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
It does - Raphael says "Bitchin!" while he and the rest of his bros are high 'threeing' after the supposed death of The Shredder, before Splinter mentions that he "has always like ..Cowabunga."
At the end Bitchin is said by Raph, Leo says Hellacious the various uses of Damn and Mike using a shell pun during the final foot fight.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
Weird, I must have watched this movie like 50 times and I don't think I've ever heard Raph say "Bitchin'" any time I've ever seen it. I just never noticed it, either that or he says it so fast or the music was playing too loud I didn't hear it.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:42 PM   #27
Prowler
Emperor

I watched it for the first time ever back in 2002-2003 and liked it fine. I was only 12-13 at the time.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:51 AM   #28
slingtheory
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek29 View Post
At the end Bitchin is said by Raph, Leo says Hellacious the various uses of Damn and Mike using a shell pun during the final foot fight.
"Well, it was a shell of a good hit"
"I like it. Step up"

You know for the longest time raph's bitchin sounded like he was saying "legit" to me. I was almost in my 20s before I realized he was cursing
Old 10-13-2016, 10:09 PM   #29
Masterpiece
Random Punk

Yes, the masterpiece known as TMNT 1990 would be brilliant for today's kids.

That is what a REAL film is like.

My little siblings adore that movie and the characters.
Masterpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:16 PM   #30
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Weird, I always remembered it being Michelangelo who says "bitchin". I guess I should watch closely next time.

And, yeah I think the movie holds up incredibly well. The first is still the best. Kids might see it as an "old" movie, but (at least if they like TMNT) I doubt they'll see it as a bad movie.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #31
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Actual kid-kids? Yeah, they might like it.There is a cynicism that the really young ones don't have or haven't developed yet.

Once they get into those pre-teen/teen/post-teen years though, oh my God, so many cynical, sarcastic opinions about everything..... Blah blah blah Martha blah blah blah lens flares blah blah blah Michael Bay is awesome blah blah blah not enough or too much CG blah blah blah it needs to be edgy.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:56 AM   #32
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

I watched it with a friend recently who's seventeen and he really enjoyed it. I admit, we did laugh at the early 90s elements and some of the production values but not maliciously. We still appreciate and enjoy it, the turtles are always fun especially in their interactions with each other.

I actually didn't see this film as a kid. I only saw it when I was 22 and I enjoyed it so much I had to restrain myself from seeing it twice in one day. With hindsight, I'm glad I didn't see it as a kid because I would have noticed the production values, but now I'm much better at willing suspension of disbelief so I can focus on what matters most.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:41 PM   #33
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

I think the only parts that don't hold up are those "slang contests" the Turtles get into that go on forever. I liked those as a kid, but as an adult They kinda make me roll my eyes.

Everything else, still holds up great. I think today's kids would be fine with it.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #34
inaheap
Mad Scientist

I think kids today will enjoy this movie. Were someone to make a updated version while still leaving out most of the CGI I think they would love it even more. One of the reasons I loved this movie as a kid is it had a tangibility to it. That made it feel real.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:15 PM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think there wouldn't be enough action to keep kids attention nowadays. There's no explosions every 5 minutes or huge fight scenes bar the attack on April's house scene.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #36
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I think there wouldn't be enough action to keep kids attention nowadays. There's no explosions every 5 minutes or huge fight scenes bar the attack on April's house scene.
Yeah kids would find it way too boring.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:15 AM   #37
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

It's still confusing for those not knowing Mirage.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #38
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
It's still confusing for those not knowing Mirage.
I didn't know of Mirage at the time of the film and wasn't confused despite my only exposure being the cartoon series. I just sat back and enjoyed the film. I don't think I ever questioned why Splinter was a rat instead of Hamato Yoshi.

As a kid, the only things that I found silly even by movie standards was Splinter training in his cage (looked silly) and Splinter flipping Shredder off of the roof (looked stupid, but always made me laugh).
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #39
ToTheNines
[sic]

They could have made Splinter flipping Shredder look better, but I've always just pretended that Splinter is SO fast that you just can't see what he even did to throw him like that.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:21 PM   #40
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

This classic definitely doesn't work for the kids of today. Little kids want their movie characters to be bright and colorful, constantly making lame jokes or farting or whatever. And teens care more about explosions and gratuitous sex, than actual plot.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1990 film