The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 05-06-2020, 02:40 AM   #1
Jeeves
Random Punk

Turtles 2030 Discussion & Spoilers

Apologies for the double post, but my copy arrived, and I wanted to share some thoughts while it was fresh in my mind.

Spoiler:
I like how we get a little time to go over what each of the turtles are doing, while still balancing it nicely with action sequences. It's so nice to see the turtles rendered by Jim's capable hands.

Casey being a cop threw me for a loop at first, but honestly seems like the ultimate payoff for his entire character arc. He went from a street thug practicing vigilante justice to a police officer upholding actual justice. It's fun to speculate that perhaps he turned himself around by sobering up in response to his lost night with Karai in Vol. 4.

Speaking of volume 4, I'm quite glad Jim seems to have taken the approach of avoiding addressing it's cliff-hangers. While I'd be all for a conclusion helmed by Lawson, I wouldn't feel right about it unless Pete gave his approval and input. What Jim is doing now is great, the fact that Don and Mike are also working with the police definitely implies continuity with the fourth volume without actually explicitly declaring it.

Raph's family gave me hard 90's movie Foot Clan vibes, which is totally awesome. His character seemed spot-on to me: a fiery compassion willing to commit small wrongs without thinking to address what he perceives as bigger wrongs. It's not surprising, but it is nice to see how well Jim understands these characters.

And the best part? That this is only the first part! We already have two interesting plot threads to follow- Shadow's involvement in crime and the conflict this will cause Casey, and the problem of Raph's mutating sewer orphans. I don't know how Jim plans to release future installments, but I'm excited for them to eventually surface.

Love to hear everybody else's thoughts, once more of you get your copies. I got #242, in case anybody is curious.
Jeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:16 AM   #2
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Got my copies of Box City Wallops and TMNT Fancomic #1 yesterday. The TMNT comic was longer than I expected: 24 pages, so a full-length issue. I was expecting a mini story, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Plot-wise, it goes with a timeskip until an imaginary "shortly after Volume 4" setting. Whatever plot threads left hanging from Volume 4 are evidently resolved with specifics unaddressed since that's Laird's baby and I assume Lawson didn't want to step on any toes. This is a "fancomic" after all, so it's all just a what-if scenario (though I'll take it over nothing in my head canon).

The directions Lawson takes the characters all feel organic and interesting. It reminds me of what he was doing with them in Vol. 2, pulling them apart in different directions that seemed fitting for them at that time in the narrative and their lives. Unfortunately, Vol. 2 got terminated early so we never really got to see how Lawson would have further developed those arcs. This fancomic canon seems like a do-over, albeit skipping ahead in the timeline, and I hope he puts out more of them. I'll back all his campaigns (Box City Wallops was fun, too; don't want to ignore what was the main course of the campaign).

I got #50 out of 300, btw.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:22 AM   #3
Diorm
Hench Mutant

I was wondering if we will ever get a sequel to this? It's say vol1 on the cover and the story feels like a beginning to a new story. Will we have to wait for a new kickstarter from Jim for this?
Are people talking to him about this? Did he have any feedbacks? Nobody is really talking about it and it's kinda strange. And sad, because maybe he'll never make any sequel to this with no feedbacks.
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:01 PM   #4
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorm View Post
I was wondering if we will ever get a sequel to this? It's say vol1 on the cover and the story feels like a beginning to a new story. Will we have to wait for a new kickstarter from Jim for this?
Are people talking to him about this? Did he have any feedbacks? Nobody is really talking about it and it's kinda strange. And sad, because maybe he'll never make any sequel to this with no feedbacks.
I had the pleasure of finally picking up my kickstarter books from Jim in person last week (was holding off to get them at a convention that clearly never came). I asked him about this and you really hit the nail on the head Diorm.

Apparently the 2nd issue (of 3 planned) is finished but not printed. He was hoping to sell them at cons down the line. However, he said he’s received no feedback from anyone on the story so asssumed there wasn’t much interest. If you want this story concluded definitely reach out to Jim (his Facebook is maybe the best bet?) and let him know!! He seems a bit uninspired and maybe this could pep his step. Furthermore this seems like the closest thing to new volume 4 material we may ever get so I’d love to see more, wouldn't you all?

UPDATE: I shared some of the feedback written in this thread with Jim and he was super happy to see it. Says he definitely intends to finish this trilogy now!

Last edited by funatic; 10-19-2020 at 08:41 PM.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #5
Diorm
Hench Mutant

That's great to hear!
Since Andrew said something about the kickstarter leaving Lawson in the red, I was scared he'll ever end this new story.

So it's a trilogy then? Interesting

He really has time to answer to people on facebook?

Edit: Is it possible to fuse this thread with this one? https://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sh...ad.php?t=62360

Last edited by Diorm; 10-22-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:57 AM   #6
Chris
Mad Scientist

I would totally buy all 3 issues if he sold them on his site. Glad to hear he's still planning on doing them.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 01:51 PM   #7
Diorm
Hench Mutant

I really like what you guys are doing! And making it part of your continuity is amazing! (I kinda was already doing it in my head canon)
Old 08-16-2023, 11:53 AM   #8
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

Great project! I have the first issue from the kickstarter project back in the day.
Was just wondering why you felt the need to reletter his work and put digital tones over it? A bit intrusive on jim's work, don't you think?
Other than that I am happy to be getting this in physical edition finally. To me this is mountains above everything idw has brought into the world. Especially the last ronin. So thank you
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 02:23 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelangelo View Post
Great project! I have the first issue from the kickstarter project back in the day.
Was just wondering why you felt the need to reletter his work and put digital tones over it? A bit intrusive on jim's work, don't you think?
Everything is above board with Jim.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 02:30 AM   #10
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

All rightithen.
Old 08-17-2023, 05:37 PM   #11
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer

If it is indeed free, would anyone be willing to share the pdf my way? I don’t want to bother Jim I’m sure he’s getting tons of messages about this (also I don’t use Facebook anymore)
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 01:36 PM   #12
DexVcx
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drose18 View Post
If it is indeed free, would anyone be willing to share the pdf my way? I don’t want to bother Jim I’m sure he’s getting tons of messages about this (also I don’t use Facebook anymore)
If you don't mind can you send the PDF my way also
DexVcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 03:00 AM   #13
Demon-Alukard
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelangelo View Post
I don't think it's intrusive in any way. At first story planned to be published as a small ashcan-like book, so artwork wasn't supposed to be superdetailed, now it'll be published as quality paper oversize format, so it'll be filled with additional details and depth with duoshade. Jim would use duoshade paper with a pleasure, if he would get any these days, I believe.

Same situation with the lettering -- with increased size digital font looks neater, and also give a chance to add italic / bold italic inscription of letters.
Demon-Alukard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 12:34 AM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Dan Berger just shared a sliver of his frontispiece for TMNT 2030:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon-Alukard View Post
I don't think it's intrusive in any way. At first story planned to be published as a small ashcan-like book, so artwork wasn't supposed to be superdetailed, now it'll be published as quality paper oversize format, so it'll be filled with additional details and depth with duoshade. Jim would use duoshade paper with a pleasure, if he would get any these days, I believe.

Same situation with the lettering -- with increased size digital font looks neater, and also give a chance to add italic / bold italic inscription of letters.
All of this is true. Jim ran out of duoshade paper (as did the world) halfway into "Odyssey" and that was that, sadly. Believe me, I've scoured the world trying to round up some to give him for many years now. And yes, there is nothing we're doing with 2030 that Jim isn't very aware of and has approved of.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 09-05-2023 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-05-2023, 12:41 AM   #15
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

https://i.ibb.co/LRTpTz9/374629338-1...07734504-n.jpg

All of this is true. Jim ran out of duoshade paper halfway into "Odyssey" and that was that, sadly.
Is that Radical?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 06:56 AM   #16
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

https://i.ibb.co/LRTpTz9/374629338-1...07734504-n.jpg

All of this is true. Jim ran out of duoshade paper (as did the world) halfway into "Odyssey" and that was that, sadly. Believe me, I've scoured the world trying to round up some to give him for many years now. And yes, there is nothing we're doing with 2030 that Jim isn't very aware of and has approved of.
Okay, understand that. I am really excited about this book!! Oh, and the digital tones really give this a special kick!!
Old 09-19-2023, 08:50 PM   #17
miru
Mad Scientist

Why does the story with the Mother Mutagen give off so many MMZ vibes? The Mother Mutagen and how she functions is very similar to the Mother Elf and Cyber-Elves, and if it ended up in another continuity I could see something like the Elf Wars being caused between humans and Mutants due to the spores. The Mother Mutagen becoming a starfish specifically seems like a gentle jab at Nickelodeon, one that in light of recent events feels more deserved. Heck, Doc Feral from Palladium already feels like a predecessor to Dr. Weil; these two ideas were made for each other.

And the TMNT Entity review being much more harsh than before on post-Mirage content has me a bit concerned. But by now it is clear the bad, or at least the mediocre, has begun to outweigh the good.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 12:40 AM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Honestly, I've seen the finished pages art-wise here, and Yuriy's new digital duotones blow what I did on Odyssey and for much of The Shredder right out of the water. It's amazing. It feels like you're looking at a 1980s Mirage TMNT comic, point blank. This guy is like a tank with the stuff.
Old 10-30-2023, 08:47 AM   #19
Demon-Alukard
Hench Mutant

Hey, guys! Good news -- TMNT 2030 book is finally printed! It will take about ten more days to get it from the printer to my hands, so here's only first photos form print company. After arriving I'll start to mailing out your preorders. Stay tuned!

Demon-Alukard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 06:59 AM   #20
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

Hey, different thing I know, but would you guys ever try to get lets say the complete planet racers story re released in such lush volumes? This being not only jim's but also peter's baby I don't know how hard it would be to get approval from them. But would you like to see that book be released in glorious hardcover?
(i have re read the three books several times over the years and love em)