The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-09-2019, 05:41 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Fan-Made Third Season Of Sonic SATAM Possible?

A bunch of fans are putting together a crowd-funding project to revive Sonic SATAM for a third season. The season will be based off of the late Ben Hurst's notes for what would have been in that season.

https://www.patreon.com/sea3on

They put together a short promotional announcement trailer where Sonic and Sally e-beg.

How far will this get before SEGA get a little precious?

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 03-14-2022 at 09:54 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:59 AM   #2
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Considering they're making money off of it, it might get shut down.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:01 AM   #3
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Sega's gonna have to protect their brand
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #4
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

I say, let the SatAM fans give it a try. It might work, and it might convince Len Janson to return.

(Janson was one of the main writers / directors that worked alongside Hurst for SatAM season 1.)
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #5
sdp
-

Are they getting the original voice actors and writers involved? If not then why are they even asking for money. If it'll just be a fan project then do it with your own money.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:56 PM   #6
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

If the original VA cast are persuaded to return, then Bunnie Rabbot and Uncle Chuck will need new voice actors. (The original VA's for both characters are deceased.)

But, I'm also wondering if some of the people that are behind the project will provide their own voice talents instead, seeing as it will cost them way less $$$($$$.)
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:59 AM   #7
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Are they getting the original voice actors and writers involved?
The original writer is dead, they're basing this new season off the notes he left behind, like I stated in the original post.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:35 PM   #8
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

When I saw the final episode, I thought the eyes at the end belonged to Metal Sonic.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:50 PM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

Nope!

I forget what I thought. I saw most of the series in reruns on USA Cartoon Express, mostly out of order, so I'm not even sure I was aware that was in fact the final episode.

Apparently most people assumed it was Knuckles, just because he was getting a big push in the games and hadn't appeared on the show yet. I probably would have thought the same, honestly. I remember people swearing it was Knuckles for the longest time before the confirmation otherwise came out. Although within the show's canon Naugus makes more sense since he'd been established not too long before, and him being done away with so quickly certainly leaves room for him to resurface as a bigger threat later on, especially with Robotnik "gone". Watching the show knowing what the plan for Season 3 was makes certain things jump out at you more when you understand the context. Like watching it now it's like "Oh, yeah, those are clearly Naugus's eyes," even just from the shape of them, and combined with the earlier episode and the benefit of hindsight it all makes perfect sense. But I can see how others may have thought differently at the time.

They sort of tried to make up for it by giving him a super-push in the comics, but I never really liked him much, quite frankly. His character design just screams "First Grade Create-A-Villain Contest". The comics even tried to give him an origin that explained him and it really didn't help anything. Maybe the show would have done him better, I'unno.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:18 AM   #10
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
When I saw the final episode, I thought the eyes at the end belonged to Metal Sonic.
Me too, I actually yelled "Metallix" at the scene.

(Metallix was the name the Fleetway UK Sonic comic gave Metal Sonic)
Old 08-08-2020, 04:07 AM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

See, I'm curious as to why anyone would think that. I don't remember the show foreshadowing it in any way. And I feel like at the time it just would have made more sense to expect Knuckles, since he'd been around longer and been featured more prominently across all media and yet hadn't debuted on the show, either. Not that he was "foreshadowed" in any way, either, because he wasn't, it just felt like he was overdue by then.

It's just rather curious, to me. Obviously we were ALL mistaken, and even Naugus makes sense in hindsight BUT feels like a bit of a head-scratcher at first just because he's not even a game character so it's weird that he's put in such a prominent place. But when people say, "I thought it was Knuckles", that I can believe, kinda. Doesn't quite make sense, but sure, whatever. He really had no established personality yet, anyways, so sure. People were legit begging to see him get a spot on the show and were disappointed it never happened.

Metal Sonic, though? Interesting. Why? I'm just curious. Not saying people wouldn't have liked it or wanted it, just saying it feels like a bit of a reach. Probably because I don't think I ever heard that particular theory before so I'm curious as to what went into it.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:26 AM   #12
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Metal Sonic, though? Interesting. Why? I'm just curious. Not saying people wouldn't have liked it or wanted it, just saying it feels like a bit of a reach. Probably because I don't think I ever heard that particular theory before so I'm curious as to what went into it.
I was going by logical assumptions, Robotnik's modus operandi in Satam and main gimmick was he robotised many Mobians, Uncle Chuck, Bunnie, etc, so it made sense he'd prepare something similar for Sonic. Imagine if he had developed a Sonic 'bot that could operate on it's own and be able to ultimately assimilate it's quarry to complete it's transformation.

How much synergy was there exactly with the games for Satam? I know the chaos emeralds were used in Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, and the time stones from Sonic CD played a part in "Blast From The Past", but was Sonic 3 even out by the time Satam ended? Was it on the horizon? Had Knuckles been even formerly announced by that point?
Old 08-08-2020, 04:42 AM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

Fair points and decent questions. I couldn't really say, I probably didn't even see the final episode until 1996 or so, probably didn't even know it WAS the final episode when I did see it since I saw them out of order, and didn't hear about the "I swore it was ______!" stuff until I was on the internet, which would have been 2000 or so.

When people explained their Knuckles theories to me from their perspective, it made sense, but you're right, maybe the timeline didn't actually fit that well. Sonic 3 literally would have just come out by the time SatAM ended (Sonic 3 came out in February '94, SatAM ended in December '94), so it was really not possible for him to have been included in Season 2... but I can see how some fans might think teasing him for Season 3 would be a neat bit of cross-brand synergy. I see what they were getting at. And I think he WAS gonna show up in Season 3 as part of his huge debut push if memory serves... but he wasn't ever gonna be The Guy With The Eyes in any case.

Metal Sonic might have had a bit more wiggle room but timing-wise it still would have been a tight squeeze.

Story-wise, neither of those things would have made much sense without Robotnik being the one pulling the strings. Snively wouldn't have been smart enough to fast-talk Knuckles, and while I can see Robotnik having a Metal Sonic within that show's storyline, it wouldn't have made sense for him to not deploy it before that point, especially if it looked like he was gonna finally lose. Snively being the one to unleash it for the first time would have just been weird.

Realistically, given the show's set-up, its own internal logic and leaving the games' canon and any wishful thinking on the part of the viewers completely out of it... it really only could have been Naugus, even if that feels a little underwhelming. I know I sure didn't think much of it when I read about it. But it really was kinda the only thing that would have made any sense at all.