The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-18-2016, 06:25 PM   #1
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Mortal Kombat reboot in the works

a reboot of Mortal Kombat is in the works at New Line Cinema, It's gonna be directed by Simon McQuoid and produced by James Wan.
https://variety.com/2016/film/news/m...an-1201921068/
Old 11-18-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Might be interesting if they allow this movie to be violent and use special attacks. The first Mortal Kombat movie was very toned down.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
Powder
So tired of this place

It was still pretty dope, though. But yeah, I agree, if it's not gonna be more brutal than the original, don't bother.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:51 PM   #4
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

If Subzero doesn't pull someone's Spine out of there back and Kano doesn't pull someone's heart out not interested. make Mortal Kombat rated R
Old 11-18-2016, 09:17 PM   #5
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Love MK. Games and movies. Even Annihilation.

Oddly it hadn't really occurred to me that violence was that toned down til Nostalgia Critic reviewed it. Both movies were still very game-accurate though. Just not brutally gory.

This has been somewhat on/off hasn't it? I've seen it talked about for awhile.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:59 PM   #6
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

The director for this reboot did this really good PS3 Ad.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:00 PM   #7
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Color me intrigued

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #8
sdp
-

Mortal Kombat's mythology is cheesy but interesting, it doesn't need an R rating to be "good". The reboot teaser trailer fanfilm from a few years ago was terrible even if violent but the mini series it inspired was alright, some hits but also some misses.

I don't like the reboot's mythology as much as the original but I welcome a new MK movie.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:15 PM   #9
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
i really hope they actually do the Scorpion/Sub-Zero Shirai Ryu/Lin Kuei blood feud proper justice this time!!

the treatment they both got in the first film was pretty abysmal.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:28 AM   #10
Shred Head
Hench Mutant

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is going to be shelved just like all the other times they tried to reboot this franchise for film. Kinda shocked Hollywood is still looking toward videogames for future movies after Ratchet and Clank as well Warcraft didn't really do all that well.

"Cold steel meets hot flesh! Thats why they call me Slash!"
Shred Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:33 AM   #11
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred Head View Post
Yeah I'm pretty sure this is going to be shelved just like all the other times they tried to reboot this franchise for film. Kinda shocked Hollywood is still looking toward videogames for future movies after Ratchet and Clank as well Warcraft didn't really do all that well.
there was actually a Ratchet and Clank film?
Old 11-21-2016, 06:10 AM   #12
Shred Head
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
there was actually a Ratchet and Clank film?
Yup https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratchet_%26_Clank_(film)

Also a Sly Cooper was being planned as well but after Ratchet and Clank bombed it might be put on the shelf.

"Cold steel meets hot flesh! Thats why they call me Slash!"
Shred Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:34 AM   #13
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Love MK. Games and movies. Even Annihilation.

Oddly it hadn't really occurred to me that violence was that toned down til Nostalgia Critic reviewed it. Both movies were still very game-accurate though. Just not brutally gory.

This has been somewhat on/off hasn't it? I've seen it talked about for awhile.
I remember at the time, my aunt noted that it was tame compared to the games (which I did have) and had never thought about it until she pointed it out. The first movie was good for what it was. It had its issues but otherwise a decent adaptation of the first game with elements from the second (Sonya being kidnapped, young Shang).

Annihlation, though, was a literal anniihilation, imo. They were trying to cram too much into it and following Mortal Kombat III's storyline. I saw this in theaters its second weekend...and it was nearly empty which surprised me...until I saw it. Too many characters. The biggest fail for me was Shao Khan's daddy issues. Oh and the forced storyline of him being brothers with Raiden. Also felt Shinnock (sp?) shouldn't have even been in the film.

Sorry, just surprised to hear someone liked this film. What did you like?
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:43 AM   #14
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:

Also a Sly Cooper was being planned as well but after Ratchet and Clank bombed it might be put on the shelf.
grossed a total of $13 million??

YIKES!!!!

someone must've gotten tarred and feathered after that?
Old 11-21-2016, 08:38 AM   #15
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
grossed a total of $13 million??

YIKES!!!!

someone must've gotten tarred and feathered after that?
I read that the reason it bombed, is because the movie was too much like the game, it didn't explain how things are to people who never played the game before.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:23 PM   #16
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I remember at the time, my aunt noted that it was tame compared to the games (which I did have) and had never thought about it until she pointed it out. The first movie was good for what it was. It had its issues but otherwise a decent adaptation of the first game with elements from the second (Sonya being kidnapped, young Shang).

Annihlation, though, was a literal anniihilation, imo. They were trying to cram too much into it and following Mortal Kombat III's storyline. I saw this in theaters its second weekend...and it was nearly empty which surprised me...until I saw it. Too many characters. The biggest fail for me was Shao Khan's daddy issues. Oh and the forced storyline of him being brothers with Raiden. Also felt Shinnock (sp?) shouldn't have even been in the film.

Sorry, just surprised to hear someone liked this film. What did you like?
Well maybe they did not need to add everything they did but I liked because it was, again game accurate and it had a lot of MK style action - in live action.

Games were/are pretty over the top which fits imo. Plus its about Shao Khan trying to take over so...

But ya I see a lot of people disliked it which I never understood since it was pretty true to the games.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:44 PM   #17
sdp
-

Quote:
i really hope they actually do the Scorpion/Sub-Zero Shirai Ryu/Lin Kuei blood feud proper justice this time!!

the treatment they both got in the first film was pretty abysmal.
Well the VHS prequel/interquel MK The Journey Begins actually explains their rivalry as good as it was able to but as silly and badly animated as that DTV was it does do a good job at filling in some backstory that helps give more background to the characters in the movie, it makes the relationships more complex and gives a reason as to why in the movie they act as "good v evil" when many on the same side are "enemies".

Quote:
Yeah I'm pretty sure this is going to be shelved just like all the other times they tried to reboot this franchise for film.
Mortal Kombat works much better as a series, there's too many characters and the storyline is too complex for a 2 hour movie unless you dumb it down which can work but we already got that version in the early 90s and we saw how the sequel couldn't handle a more complex version of the MK universe.

MK Legacy was cool but not made to be a real series, the storyline jumped everywhere and you needed some background on MK lore to understand a lot of it including playing the new game.

Quote:

From what I remember the budget of the Ratchet and Clank movie was "absorbed" by the game developed for it. Sony saw it as "we're already making expensive CG for this game so why not make it a little bit better and release it as a movie" as sort of an experiment to kill two birds with one stone. I'm not sure how the game did in sales but if it didn't bomb then maybe it was still seen as a success for Sony.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:06 AM   #18
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Well maybe they did not need to add everything they did but I liked because it was, again game accurate and it had a lot of MK style action - in live action.

Games were/are pretty over the top which fits imo. Plus its about Shao Khan trying to take over so...

But ya I see a lot of people disliked it which I never understood since it was pretty true to the games.
You actually liked the Shao Khan angle for Annihilation? That was the worst part. Daddy issues, seriously. lol

"Daddy daddy, did I do good? I'm about to invade the earth realm! Will that make you happy? LOVE me daddy! I need your approval!!"

Shao Khan didn't come across as threatening or imposing. He just came across as rather pathetic and whiny for a final villain and like I said, I just wish they would've actually stuck to the game's story. None of the forced family stuff between Shao Khan and Raiden.

It felt like they were trying to toss in as many characters and references as they possibly could. I feel the characters that suffered from this were Jade (which was really sad because she was one of my favorites from the game at the time), Nightwolf, younger Sub Zero (why did he leave instead of helping Liu go against Khan and those from Outworld?), Sheeva, Motaro, Mileena, Cyrax, Smoke, Scorpion, Baraka, Rain, Kabal and Stryker's name drop (also was disapointing for me at the time since I really liked those two in the game ^^), etc. They just didn't know how to handle those many characters.

Here's how I'd advertise it. "You played Mortal Kombat. You've played Mortal Kombat 2 and the hits Ultimate MK3 and Mortal Kombat 3! You saw the great movie, Mortal Kombat, but now it's time for ANNIHILATION!!!!! Watch as we put in all the characters you love from the games...but no Johnny since this is based on MK3!!! Want to see Kintaro? Too bad! We have MOTARO AND SHEEVA! Do you hear that? Yeah, SCREAMING! We have Sindel!! She even spins around!! Get over here! That can only be Scorpion! Yeah, our favorite spear throwing yellow ninja is back and so is everyone's favorite ice ninja! Watch as they don't fight or have any explanation for actually being there! Want to see Millena bond with Kitana? Of course you do! She'll be in the movie. Love the kickass fighter Jade! She'll dress in skimpy clothes in the middle of a snow storm in a desert! How about Nightwolf! Want to see everyone's favorite Native American fighter take out Khan's warriors? *quiet voice/cough*sowouldwe*cougs* Want to see an animality! If there's a Mortal Kombat character you like, they're guaranteed to be in it! Remember, don't blink or else you'll miss them! Watch ANNIHILATION! Coming to a theater near you..."

Silliness aside, I'm glad you could enjoy this movie. I wish I could've. It's like when I saw Turtles III as a kid and how disappointed I was with it, despite there being a lot of potential with its set up.

Last edited by ssjup81; 11-22-2016 at 12:12 AM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:46 AM   #19
Wildcat
Foot Elite

@ssjup81,
I don't care either way about Shao Kahns angle. Could have done without trying to prove himself it and it would not have changed anything. He cheated by invading and tried to take over. That's all I needed to know...cause he's evil.

I think Kahn and Raiden were brothers to make it seem more interesting. I guess they thought tying them together would make it more dramatic. I don't think it hurts the movie though.

Sub-Zero and Nightwolf could not team up with Liu Kang because he was supposed to "find himself". The whole Animality thing. Although Sub-Zero did try to fight off Scorpion.

Ya there's character's that would have been cool to see but (from what I remember, it's been awhile) they were off doing things in regards to the invasion or just weren't part of it. We only see the main side of things.

Maybe they tried to put a bunch of characters in one movie but I think it worked ok. It's a basic good vs evil plot. It was an excuse to have more fighting but I don't think anyone was out of place.

Last edited by Wildcat; 11-22-2016 at 01:54 AM.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:42 AM   #20
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I'd say I hope they don't bugger it up, but they probably will.

Too bad it's a reboot - they could do the Mortal Kombat X story line where everyone's old, and Mileena and Kotal Kahn are jockeying for Shao Kahn's throne. That game has so many weird and wonderful characters.