The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #1
Vegita-San
Emperor

Your ideal Turtles Show..

We like to do alot of wondering and complaining about things.. but..
If you where show runner, what would your ideal version of a ninja turtles show be?

For me, at this point, I'd probably only keep the basic elements. Shredder, Karai, April, Splinter, Hamato Yoshi and the turtles.

At least at the start.

I'd do something a little different with this series. Rather than start them off as teenagers, I'd start the show off with them as toddlers.

The first season would be their first sessions of ninja training as they learn the arts and have adventures along the way. maybe I'd throw in a joke or two of them saving april and casey from the shadows, without introducing themselves....but only once.

The basic Mirage Origin would be in tact. Mostly. Only in this case, Saki, pre Shredder, would know who Splinter is. He'd know he's in NYC...he'd know he was yoshi, and he's trying to destroy him so as to erase the last bit of yoshi from the earth.

In this case, I'd leave Tang Shen out of this part of the origin. I would bring Back Oruko Nagi. I would make Nagi and Yoshi friends. some horrible incident happens where Nagi dies...maybe defending against some robbers or something. Saki would see this, think yoshi did it, and that starts the feud. he barely escapes...heads to NYC.

Along the way, Yoshi saves one of the utroms from disaster. discovers their secret, and goes to work for them. Saki, now in charge of the foot, that yoshi and nagi where a part of, finds the utrom base, and causes the accident that changes him to splinter..

yoshi, half deformed, escaped into the sewers to hide from the public,and along the way, the accident that sends the turtles into the sewers happens. some bits of the mutagen still on splinter affects them, and boom. story begins.

somewhere alongthe way, Shredder hears stories of a mutant ratroaming the streets at night, and he knows splinter is still alive. so, the hunt begins, and so does the ninja training.

The second season would see a jump to their teenage years andthe main series begins...

I'd keep mutants to a minimum in this series....but when one doesshow up, it's a threat worth stickingaround for a full season.

the tone would be a mix of 4 kids seriousness interms of action, some humor, but just enough to make them cute and relatable... with a slightly grittier first movie look.

I'd probably end the series with a Future Turtles arc. The Turtles are now about 100 years old, but still rather nimble for their age.Splinter is long dead,aliens walk the earth, and they can generally live in peace..until one final threat arrives.

I'd probably keep the series fully CG...unless the animation could be feature quality in 2D every episode.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
snake
Disgusting

IDW with age progression. Or a straight up mirage adaptation.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

A solid mix of the best elements of seasons 7 and 8 of the 1987 cartoon with a stronger continuity and emphasis on characterization.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:22 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

I'd like to see Ciro do one entirely on his own, no influence from Playmates, Viacom, his creative peers, just Ciro. Something 2D that brings his concept art to life while retaining the original style. Having a fairly good idea about his aesthetic, I think it'd be insanely dope by itself. With all the horror, punk rock, & vinyl kaiju stuff at full force, no doubt a killer cartoon.

Similarly, I wanna see Andy Suriano's vision for the TMNT. He did all that character concept art that got rejected. It's weird as hell & could make for a very interesting change of pace. Examples:

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
IDW with age progression. Or a straight up mirage adaptation.
I'd also accept either of these. An anime would be great, too, be it a comedic slice of life series, or something more serious/action oriented.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I would like a art style like this. It has the Archie Comics, 1987 cartoon, and Mirage comics all wrapped up together nicely with the creators influence as well.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:46 PM   #6
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

An anime-like adaptation for netflix (like what they are doing with voltron), straight-up adapting IDW. Exchange the 'new characters for more familiar ones (Scratch in place of old hob, Ninjara in place of Alopex, armaggon in place of bludgeon, wingnut in place of pigeon pete, A female Alfaqua in place of koya, and a female Jagwar in place of sally pride, Pimiko in place of Jennika, etc.) and you got a deal! ^^

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:07 PM   #7
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Id agree with the IDW adaptation, but keep the IDW original characters instead of replacing them with older ones. I might add a few new ones from Nick later on, mainly Tiger Claw, Murikami and human Xever, and a redesigned Spiderbytes and Snakeweed. I might use Shinigami as well, most likely as a member of the Pantheon like Kitsune and Rat King. The Nick mutants (and a couple of older ones like Mona Lisa and Venus) would be experiments from Baxter's lab.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:51 PM   #8
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I'd like to see Ciro do one entirely on his own, no influence from Playmates, Viacom, his creative peers, just Ciro. Something 2D that brings his concept art to life while retaining the original style. Having a fairly good idea about his aesthetic, I think it'd be insanely dope by itself. With all the horror, punk rock, & vinyl kaiju stuff at full force, no doubt a killer cartoon.

Similarly, I wanna see Andy Suriano's vision for the TMNT. He did all that character concept art that got rejected. It's weird as hell & could make for a very interesting change of pace. Examples:

I'd also accept either of these. An anime would be great, too, be it a comedic slice of life series, or something more serious/action oriented.
Aaagh I totally forgot about all that cool concept art. Weird, weird stuff. I'd love to see a downright horror TMNT incarnation as long as the TMNT/Splinter look normal.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:14 AM   #9
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I wanna see Andy Suriano's vision for the TMNT. He did all that character concept art that got rejected. It's weird as hell & could make for a very interesting change of pace. Examples:

Talk about wish fulfillment.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:06 AM   #10
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
A solid mix of the best elements of seasons 7 and 8 of the 1987 cartoon with a stronger continuity and emphasis on characterization.
I would say just reboot the Fred Wolf series but keep it in the style you suggested.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #11
ninja-zero
Hench Mutant

Seeing the 2003 of TMNT, I'd like an anime TMNT....

- Oroku Saki as a disciple of Kraang the original Shredder.

- Miwa as Alopex

- Shredder's mutant minions comprised of a spider, a skunk, a chameleon & a hyena named Rahzar as his mutant elite guard trained in the ways of the Foot. Later on Bebop & Rocksteady appear.

- Splinter as Yoshi's pet.

Last edited by ninja-zero; 09-22-2016 at 10:33 AM.
ninja-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:20 AM   #12
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I would say just reboot the Fred Wolf series but keep it in the style you suggested.
2012 is as close to that it can bee.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:30 PM   #13
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

This is my personal concept that I've been wanting to write for a while. There's a lot more details, but they wouldn't really fit into the intro, which I've laid out here.

The Utroms have come to Earth as a hideaway from the Triceraton Empire. There, they are working on a special grade of healing Ooze. They have made the Foot Clan their guardians, having favoritism of Japanese humans after centuries-long relationships with them. Hamato Yoshi and Oroku Saki are the top contenders for leadership. Unfortunately, a quarantine is broken, and they learn quickly that the Ooze that heals the inhabitants of Utrominon mutates the inhabitants of Earth.

While visiting the New York TCRI branch, Yoshi fell in love with a researcher named Tang Shen, and came to adapt to a “modern” lifestyle in his devotion to her. They soon married and had a daughter. This enraged Saki, a more traditional man, who believed a Japanese empire could exist again. A scuffle of tradition and adaptation between Yoshi and Saki started a fire in one of the labs. Yoshi managed to rescue some of the lab turtles before collapsing in the smoke, where he came in contact with the Ooze and an escaped rat - which did not survive to mutation. Yoshi noticed the mutations happening, and in a burst of desperation and raw instinct, dove into the sewer system below the lab. He did not know what became of his family or Saki, and was unable to find out for himself. Not while he was a mutant and taking care of four new children.

Fifteen years later, there is a new TCRI building in place. Saki has redeemed himself for his behavior in the lab and has been the leader of the Foot Clan for ten years. The Utroms are still investigating the damage done - and are seeking out the last mutants that they have been unable to track. They are unsure of which ones.
General Krang, son of the Emperor Quanin and Empress Temre, believes the most responsible course of action is to destroy any mutants they find. However, he has been put at bay by his chief scientist Ma’riell, who is searching for rehabilitation and reversal - and proof that they can thrive when given more appropriate homes. A difficult ideal to battle, given how her adoptive older sister Xeinos took in a mutant alligator that lives freely among them. Colonel Ch'rell is Krang's partner in many things, and is leaning more toward Krang's plan for mutants - though he wants a way to do it without stepping on his sister's tentacles.

Yoshi, meanwhile, has managed to find a home in an abandoned speakeasy in the sewer, and made it livable. He had managed to scavenge companionship in the Jones family, who run a restaurant above their home, and were the only human companions the turtles knew for most of their lives. While Yoshi taught the turtles his Japanese values and various forms of martial arts - because it was all he could give them - the Jones became the caters for most of the turtles casual hobbies.

Mr. Jones (not Hun) taught Michelangelo to cook, and Donatello how to work basic machinery - until he started thirsting for more complicated tasks, which was finally sated by online research and second-hand books given as gifts. Michelangelo is teaching himself ukulele, and is remarkably not awful. He likes pizza because it's a fast meal, but he loves to cook just about anything.
Mrs. Jones, meanwhile, was surprised at first to teach the tough and stubborn Raphael various handicraft, until she determined that it made sense. At the same time, Raphael was helping Casey in vigilantism against mobsters and loan sharks - which resulted in multiple failures early on. She also teaches Michelangelo to bake. Leonardo preferred his father’s company, though was happy to learn origami from Angel Jones - a skill that his father was only mediocre in. At first, it seemed origami wouldn’t benefit the family until he joined Donatello in making lamps for the lair. Yoshi is affectionately called “Splinter” as a codename - because he looks like one of the rats Mr. Jones had as a child.

Krang hires the enigmatic Baxter Stockman to help track down mutants, wanting to recalibrate his MOUSERS to track mutants instead of rodents. To their surprise, it works, as the MOUSERS find the turtles lair and ransack it. Splinter is injured in the crossfire, and after he disappears, is rescued by the Utroms seeking to rehabilitate mutants, hoping to protect him from Krang - and then they realize his true identity as the long-missing Hamato Yoshi. While on their way to rescue him, Casey accidentally gets his college study aid April O’Neil involved. When they find the TCRI building, they recognize the symbol from the MOUSERS and develop their plan to get in and find where Splinter has gone.

TL;DR: Ooze was an Utrom war/medical operation that mutates instead of heals on Earth. The turtles and Splinter call it Mutagen because they don't know any better.
No Tang Shen romance fight. Rather, a battle of longing for the past and moving forward
April is not the first humans the turtles meet; it’s Casey and his family
Krang and Shredder are the dark side of moral grays, rather than straight up evil (though Shredder would say light side, since white tones are ‘bad’ in his culture)
A minor morality battle among the Utroms to determine what to do with mutants
Splinter is a code name rather than an entirely new identity.

This is the most I can piece together.

I would have three mutant groups outside from the turtles.

The Mighty Mutanimals, consisting of Slash, Leatherhead, Pigeon Pete, Scumbag, Mondo Gecko, and two cats: Old Hob and Hamato Miwa, both of whom were mutated together in the TCRI fire. Hamato Shen is the honorary human, as Miwa's mother, and gives lodging to them in Northhampton, coincidentally not far from where the turtles would have to flee to eventually, but they never manage to cross paths.

The Mutant Misfits: the mutants that don't fit in with the others because they have neither human nor animal traits. Snakeweed, Mutagen Man/Seymour Gutz, Muckman, and Joe Eyeball

"The Swampers" (can never decide on their name). Leatherhead joins this group in as an farther-away-from-home family order to acclimate to being the Earthling that he is rather than cling to his alien foster family. The Punk Frogs are part of the group, joined by SpiderBites, maybe Scumbag, Ace Duck, a raccoon, and a possum and her eight children.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 09-16-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #14
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
The Mighty Mutanimals, consisting of Slash, Leatherhead, Pigeon Pete, Scumbag, Mondo Gecko, and two cats: Old Hob and Hamato Miwa, both of whom were mutated together in the TCRI fire. Hamato Shen is the honorary human, as Miwa's mother, and gives lodging to them in Northhampton, coincidentally not far from where the turtles would have to flee to eventually, but they never manage to cross paths.

The Mutant Misfits: the mutants that don't fit in with the others because they have neither human nor animal traits. Snakeweed, Mutagen Man/Seymour Gutz, Muckman, and Joe Eyeball

"The Swampers" (can never decide on their name). Leatherhead joins this group in as an farther-away-from-home family order to acclimate to being the Earthling that he is rather than cling to his alien foster family. The Punk Frogs are part of the group, joined by SpiderBites, maybe Scumbag, Ace Duck, a raccoon, and a possum and her eight children.
I like the idea of different mutant groups with different agendas.

One thing that I think was a misued opportunity was Titanus and his group. would have been better villains than dregg.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #15
Zak The Neutrino
Stone Warrior

Either IDW or Mirage as an animated series.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:48 AM   #16
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak The Neutrino View Post
Either IDW or Mirage as an animated series.
i still REALLY want both of these!!!

i don't see it ever happening, but it'd still be pretty awesome!
Old 09-23-2016, 05:49 AM   #17
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Archie

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
i still REALLY want both of these!!!

i don't see it ever happening, but it'd still be pretty awesome!
Or maybe Archie?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #18
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak The Neutrino View Post
Mirage as an animated series.
You got that almost 20 years ago.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:42 PM   #19
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
You mean the 4Kids show? Well, it gets about as close as you can realistically get for a children's show, but it still took some pretty big liberties when you get right down to it.

If you want to get even closer, while still being a kids' show, you'd have to do the following things different from the 4Kids show:
  1. No characters or stories that were not in Mirage.
  2. No added twists or alternative interpetations, such as an Utrom Shredder or Karai as his daughter
  3. Adapt the stories in the original order or at least don't forge any new connections

Obviously the network wouldn't really allow the violence and would still insist on including toys, but it's still technically possible to produce a kids' show closer to the Mirage comics than what 4Kids did.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:27 AM   #20
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
you mean this?