The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
Green Machine
Hench Mutant

I got a Kevin Eastman Shredder sketch today.

I just wanted to share. I met Kevin Eastman at HeroesCon in Charlotte, NC today. I took him an IDW Shredder micro comic and he drew me a quick Shredder sketch. It was my first time meeting him and getting a sketch/autograph. I'm really happy.

Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
pennydreadful
trash

That's lovely! Thanks for sharing.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #3
El Pollo Insano
New Recruit

It looks good. I was tempted to wait in line again today after his panel but I couldn't do it after waiting in line for nearly four hours yesterday. I will say that Kevin and his wife were both amazingly nice to us both days. Dealing with that many fans and still having such a great attitude says a lot about the two of them.
El Pollo Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #4
Ryan.
Thug

I'm surprised he was willing to sketch with so many people in line.
Ryan. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pollo Insano View Post
It looks good. I was tempted to wait in line again today after his panel but I couldn't do it after waiting in line for nearly four hours yesterday. I will say that Kevin and his wife were both amazingly nice to us both days. Dealing with that many fans and still having such a great attitude says a lot about the two of them.
I didn't realize Kevin had remarried until I met her briefly in Artist Alley. That is great for him.

I waited in line from 11:05-3:05 yesterday. 4 hours exactly. It was worth it though to meet the other half of TMNT's creator. Got the 30th anniversary special signed and a photo and a brief chat. Con employees said it was the worst line they had seen in years as he is believed to be the most popular indie creator and first time beyond two cons. Stan Lee charged $100 just to meet him which gives a good reason for how Kevin's line was so long in comparison. Since it was a two plus hour drive I just went yesterday. What happened at the panel? I just wished Tom and Bobby could have been there too. I need to meet those guys!
Old 06-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
Green Machine
Hench Mutant

He was extremely nice and kept apologizing for the long wait.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #7
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

That is awesome!

I really hope I get the chance to meet him at a con/event some day... I live pretty far away from most of the convention hotspots, so that makes it tricky. I have framed Peter Laird and Jim Lawson sketches on my studio wall and I desperately need to add an Eastman original to the display.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #8
DonnyMac
Thug

My wife and I met Kevin a few weeks ago at the Niagara Falls con. His line was by far the longest at the entire con. He and his wife are so nice. Awesome score on the Shredder, I got a Donatello sketch from him myself
DonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #9
pingclang
Stone Warrior

That line was completely insane. Took me 4 hours to get up to him but he was amazingly nice. Easily the nicest creator I've met at Heroescon. I'm curious, how did any of you get sketches, though? The con employee telling us to walk to his table saw me holding my sketchbook and said that it wasn't allowed and that he would only sign 2 items. My poor friend had only brought a spider-man sketch comic to have him draw spidey real quick, if he would, and they told him no so all he got to do was shake Kevin`s hand and buy some of the stuff he had out for sale.
pingclang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
Green Machine
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingclang View Post
That line was completely insane. Took me 4 hours to get up to him but he was amazingly nice. Easily the nicest creator I've met at Heroescon. I'm curious, how did any of you get sketches, though? The con employee telling us to walk to his table saw me holding my sketchbook and said that it wasn't allowed and that he would only sign 2 items. My poor friend had only brought a spider-man sketch comic to have him draw spidey real quick, if he would, and they told him no so all he got to do was shake Kevin`s hand and buy some of the stuff he had out for sale.
Whoa.. that's weird. When were you in line exactly? I got in line on Sunday at 11:00 when the con opened. The limits were two signatures and one sketch. His panel was over at 1:30 and he came to his booth to start signing around 1:40. Maybe they were running out of time and decided to cut the sketch option. Sorry to hear about your friend. That's rough.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #11
pingclang
Stone Warrior

I was in the line on Saturday at opening. I didn't bother going back through on Sunday because I didn't have anything else for him to sign and figured sketches were still not allowed...just my luck. My experience meeting him was sort of a nightmare. He was awesome, but I was so nervous I could barely look at him and barely spoke and forgot about the picture thing. Oh well, not everyone gets to meet him so I'm grateful for that.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #12
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

I'm glad to see a bunch of people went to Heroescon. It is my favorite con to go to each year. This was luckily my second time meeting him so i didn't have tons and tons of stuff to get signed. I was kind of bummed he ended up only being there sat and sun and not fri as well.

We lined up crazy early on sat (about 7:30) to get into the con and ended up being about the 12th person in line to get into the con and about 10th in Kevin's line.

A couple things that sucked about the line experience besides the fact they were very under prepared for his demand. 1. The con opened at 9:30 but he didn't get there until 11:30. 2. A vendor/scalper lined up before the con even opened!!!! He had a giant cart for of 100s of things to get signed.

LUCKILY they limited it to 2 things per person so I got to see him pitch a fit. it'd have taken hours just to get through the things he brought!
Kevin brought a bunch of books, prints, sketches, sketch comics and oiginal art for sale which he sign in addition to your two items.

UNLUCKILY, the scalper bought EVERY SINGLE SKETCH COMIC Kevin brought which was about 30 of them. I feel bad for anyone that would have wanted one behind me in line.

I had about 6-8 things I wanted signed but picked the best stuff and gave 2 items to my friend to get signed. I ended up not even asking for a sketch since they alluded to the fact he wasn't doing them, the line was pretty long and I had one already from a previous con. I DID however buy an original cover he did for a zombie comics which was pretty awesome.

I went to the panel on Sunday and thought about getting back in line but the panel was over at 1:30 and there were 100s of people in line again and I had a 6 hour ride home so called it a con/day.

part of the line for Kevin

Eastman and I

the cover

eric talbot sketch
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #13
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I didn't realize Kevin had remarried until I met her briefly in Artist Alley. That is great for him.

I waited in line from 11:05-3:05 yesterday. 4 hours exactly. It was worth it though to meet the other half of TMNT's creator. Got the 30th anniversary special signed and a photo and a brief chat. Con employees said it was the worst line they had seen in years as he is believed to be the most popular indie creator and first time beyond two cons. Stan Lee charged $100 just to meet him which gives a good reason for how Kevin's line was so long in comparison. Since it was a two plus hour drive I just went yesterday. What happened at the panel? I just wished Tom and Bobby could have been there too. I need to meet those guys!
yeah the line was crazy. usually they put up rows to control the line. Having gone to the gone for 8 years I will say the line was pretty disorganized but at least they had a guy that worked for the con at the front of the line so people didn't cut in.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine View Post
Whoa.. that's weird. When were you in line exactly? I got in line on Sunday at 11:00 when the con opened. The limits were two signatures and one sketch. His panel was over at 1:30 and he came to his booth to start signing around 1:40. Maybe they were running out of time and decided to cut the sketch option. Sorry to hear about your friend. That's rough.
I was pretty close to the front on sat and the con staff alluded to the fact that he wasn't doing sketches but I guess it never hurts to ask. I do know they told people that it was limited to 2 items but they never said he def would or would not do a sketch.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #14
pingclang
Stone Warrior

[/QUOTE]I was pretty close to the front on sat and the con staff alluded to the fact that he wasn't doing sketches but I guess it never hurts to ask. I do know they told people that it was limited to 2 items but they never said he def would or would not do a sketch.[/QUOTE]

When they kept coming through telling us to stay calm and letting us know when he went to the restroom and whatnot, we asked about sketches and they said he would for $50.00. They even told us that when we in the second half of the line. It wasn't until the guy saw my sketchbook that we were told no. I don't wanna sound like an ingrate, I'm very happy to have met Mr. Eastman, he was super awesome, I'm pissed at how messed up the staff handled things.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #15
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior

the cover

eric talbot sketch

Dude, great pieces. That Talbot Shredder is effing bad ass!!!
TMNTChris1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #16
Mayhem
Foot Elite

And this is why I'm glad I've pretty much got all the sketches and signatures from Kevin I'll need... takes some dedication to queue for that long, you have my admiration heh.

I think the longest I've ever queued up at a show was about 25 minutes. Guess I've picked the right times at SDCC when there have been few people at the Heavy Metal stand.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #17
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I was pretty close to the front on sat and the con staff alluded to the fact that he wasn't doing sketches but I guess it never hurts to ask. I do know they told people that it was limited to 2 items but they never said he def would or would not do a sketch.[/QUOTE]

When they kept coming through telling us to stay calm and letting us know when he went to the restroom and whatnot, we asked about sketches and they said he would for $50.00. They even told us that when we in the second half of the line. It wasn't until the guy saw my sketchbook that we were told no. I don't wanna sound like an ingrate, I'm very happy to have met Mr. Eastman, he was super awesome, I'm pissed at how messed up the staff handled things.[/QUOTE]

The staff book him close to 10 and half months in advance yet could not have an idea about the buzz his appearance would create. Its probably the worst handled creator appearance since I started attending back in 2005. I hope Kevin will not have been turned off because of it. It would be great to have him come back. The con people need to be prepared and play it smart. Having him back along with another name or two might easily break this year's high attendance record.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #18
pingclang
Stone Warrior

I've been going to Heroes for the past 5 years and haven't seen anything like Eastman`s line except when Stan Lee was there last year. Like you I hope he comes back as I would love to try again, lol. I think Heroes just did not expect that and had no idea how to handle it for some reason.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #19
Green Machine
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I've been going to Heroes for the past 5 years and haven't seen anything like Eastman`s line except when Stan Lee was there last year. Like you I hope he comes back as I would love to try again, lol. I think Heroes just did not expect that and had no idea how to handle it for some reason.
I'm not sure how long of a drive it is from you but he'll be at the Richmond Comic Con in September.

http://www.wizardworld.com/home-richmond.html
Old 06-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #20
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
normally they have one or two people each year it seems that end up having a huge line. usually they have stancions up for those people they think will have huge lines. This year they didn't have any.

Fraction, scotty young and others constantly had long lines but not nearly the size of eastman but they all were there all 3 days and at their booth more.

Tags
kevin eastman