The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #61
AquaParade
Banned

A big Sony producer was just quoted the other day saying that animation development is already on the rise due to the virus and the ease of doing animation work from home. He also commented that because the children's animation market it so saturated, studios are beginning to develop animation for other markets, like teens and adults.

Trends get around in Hollywood. It's worth keeping those comments in mind. I'm not counting on this movie being for adults, but it's plausible that it has an edge to it.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:18 PM   #62
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
A big Sony producer was just quoted the other day saying that animation development is already on the rise due to the virus and the ease of doing animation work from home. He also commented that because the children's animation market it so saturated, studios are beginning to develop animation for other markets, like teens and adults.

Trends get around in Hollywood. It's worth keeping those comments in mind.
The movie will more then likely be PG-13.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:23 PM   #63
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Its funny seeing people thinking that the movie will be at the level of Sausage Party when it most certainly will not. Seth Rogen has done family friendly before. Nickelodeon is involved. They are not gonna let there IP be filled with potty humor and all that stuff.

One of the Turtles probably Mikey is gonna provide most of the humor. But I would love to see Raph have the sense of humor he had from FW. I miss that Raph.
It's not going to be at the "adult" level as Sausage Party.

It's going to be irreverent, vapid, hollow, and soulless. And also much less funny than it thinks it is.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:33 PM   #64
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Ehhh... I don't think a CGI movie is the way to go at all (plus, they've tried that)... but I love these guys. Their humor doesn't always hit, but it mostly does for me. Sometimes hysterically.

Their niche is like "guilty pleasure comedy." Everything they've done has what I would consider to be "heart," though. If TMNT has to go the comedic route, this is the route and hands I'd probably trust it most to.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:54 PM   #65
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Meh. I'd need to see some footage first
Old 06-30-2020, 05:57 PM   #66
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I'm curious on who the voice casting will be. They'll get some big names for some of the voices no doubt.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:00 PM   #67
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
As long as there are no nostrils or noses on the Turtles, that alone will make it better than the Bay films.
I was waiting for this post.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:21 PM   #68
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I'm curious on who the voice casting will be.
I don't care, personally, but yes. It'd probably be Names.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:24 PM   #69
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
It's not going to be at the "adult" level as Sausage Party.

It's going to be irreverent, vapid, hollow, and soulless. And also much less funny than it thinks it is.
Banging the nail right through the board, as usual.

Optimists befuddle me. I could never live with constant, soul-crushing disappointment. I don't root for things to be terrible, I just use deductive reasoning, and that reasoning turns out to be correct at least 95% of the time, so I see no reason whatsoever to switch gears NOW when I'm almost always right. When my gut tells me something is going to be awful, it almost always is. Chickbusters. The BayTurtles Flicks. Every Transformers movie after the first one (didn't see the Bumblebee one though). The last few Terminator movies. Birds of Prey. All of them screamed "This Is Terrible" in every single trailer and bit of pre-release footage, and lo and behold, all terrible. And all the while, there were a few people saying "Maybe this is all a mirage? Maybe there's some hidden layers of depth that the trailers just don't want to spoil for us?" When if they had simply taken the information right in front of their face at face value, they would have known well in advance exactly what they were getting.

I don't get it. When people tell you who they are, and what they're all about, and make no pretense about any of it, listen to them. It's not rocket science.

If Seth Rogen is ANY kind of "TMNT Fan", mark my words, he's one of the ones who watched the FW cartoon and the first two movies, hasn't paid any attention since, and like Kevin Smith and his He-Man project, he thinks the biggest problem with the original series was not enough lesbians and fart jokes, and he's gonna "fix" that "problem" now that he has the pen. That's it, that's all. All the pizza jokes and "Cowabunga", now with 40% more stoner humor. Treat.

Look man, I love Family Guy and Aqua Teen so I totally "get" lowbrow humor. But I don't want TMNT to be that and I don't want anyone with that as their "specialty" anywhere near it. End of story.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:43 PM   #70
ABrown
Banned

God it seriously pisses me off that the 4Kids series always has to be the forgotten version of TMNT:

"Following Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles launch in 1984 as a comic book, it was followed up by a hit 1987-1996 animated TV series, as well as a billion-dollar selling retail juggernaut across toys, apparel, video games, and more. New Line released three live-action movies between 1990-1993 which grossed $323.2M WW.

Nickelodeon brought the franchise to life again in 2012 with the CG-animated series Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and then reimagined the Heroes in a Half-Shell with the 2D-animated series Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles last year." - https://deadline.com/2020/06/teenage...es-1202973764/

I'm sorry but Nickelodeon is NOT responsible for bringing the franchise "back to life".
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:47 PM   #71
Leo656
The Franchise

I agree with you. But no pizza jokes, "Cowabunga", no Bebop or Rocksteady or Krang, so... to the simpletons it may as well not have existed at all. And it's so much better than anything Nick has done with the property, you can be sure that it'll never be mentioned again because it would make their current garbage look even worse by comparison.

2K3 was the last iteration that wasn't Highly Goddamn Questionable and probably the last thing like that we'll ever get, but... we don't make those decisions. I agree with you though. That was the last version of the franchise that made me do anything but sigh, the last "new version" that I really, really liked and even loved at times. A pity it's doomed to be entirely forgotten, all because it just wasn't silly enough and "TMNT is supposed to be silly."

I really wish we'd all appreciated it more at the time since it's as good as things will ever be again. It deserves more than to be the "black sheep" of the franchise, but that's exactly what it is. Even Next Mutation gets brought up more, and even spoken of fondly in many cases, compared to 2K3, which gets no mention at all and when it does it's "The Boring Version". If that doesn't tell you exactly what a bunch of glue-sniffers this goddamn fanbase is packed with, I don't know what will.

Last edited by Leo656; 07-01-2020 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:48 PM   #72
sdp
-

Good thing the movie isn't going to be for fogeys
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:02 PM   #73
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
I'm sorry but Nickelodeon is NOT responsible for bringing the franchise "back to life".
Technically they are. There wasn't much of anything going on in 2009 pre-sale. A comic, barely. Nothing really in the pipeline but a movie that probably wasn't getting made at the trajectory of the time (the "gritty, Batman Begins-like" Fusco script, etc.).

Now, was what Nickelodeon pulled out of the ground any good? No. What they pulled out was like a fetid corpse, some kind of wight, rife with rainbow bandannas and cowabunga and Beebop.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #74
Leo656
The Franchise

I'd just as soon they stuff the corpse back in the ground and pour cement over the hole than get any more of what Nick keeps putting out.

I loved this brand more than almost anything at one time in my life, but holy sh*t is it painful to watch it keep getting butt-slammed in exchange for Happy Meal toys. Any kind of integrity it may have once had is long gone. Better to let it die.

I'm 100% fine with the stuff from Back Then and the occasional new action figure. We don't NEED "new stuff" when it's all so awful. We long ago passed the threshold of TMNT being more Crap than Good Stuff; it's officially like 80% Crap, now, maybe more. It was about 50/50 back in 2003 but we're way past saving things, now. MOST of what now stands as "TMNT" belongs in a dumpster, and the longer it stays "active", the more full that dumpster gets. But we're never going back to it being Mostly Good Stuff; that's not even within the realm of possibility anymore. They can reboot it every decade for the next 100 years, and we might get ONE halfway decent version out of it and the rest would be nothing but garbage, merely taking the last 15 years of the brand into account. It's unreasonable to expect anything different.

I weep when I think of all the potential this brand once had to really BE something. But it never became much of anything - "popular" doesn't equal "Good" - and now it's forever a joke. Simple Things For Simple Minds. Nobody's ever going to bring any kind of respectability to the brand and the fans are always gonna be looked down upon like a bunch of manchild yokels, because nobody cares enough to push back. They're too happy to get anything with that little sticker on it.

It's a shame. Just a goddamn shame. TMNT was one of my Very Favorite Things once upon a time, and now every time I hear any news whatsoever, I cringe. It doesn't even deserve to keep going. It's a farce, and that's all it ever will be. A farce full of wasted potential.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:29 PM   #75
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Everything I really loved as a kid in, say, the mid to late 90s has been swallowed up and either buried outright or changed into something horrible by Electronic Arts, Viacom, and Disney, respectively.

The day I got into the Sausage Party sneak peek at SDCC and managed to talk to Rogen:

He's like a much smarter, more in touch Kevin Smith.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:57 PM   #76
SoccerNinja
Banned

Quote:
I'm excited for it. It could be a movie with Seth Rogen's style of humor. Now his humor may not be for everyone. But it could be fun.
I hope a plane crashes into your house.

Sincerely, Commenter42 <3
SoccerNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:01 PM   #77
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerNinja View Post
I hope a plane crashes into your house.

Like I said. His humor isn't for everyone. and probably not for you in particular based on this comment.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:04 PM   #78
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerNinja View Post
Whoa... welcome back, man!
Old 06-30-2020, 08:10 PM   #79
Leo656
The Franchise

HAH, no, that's not the appropriate response to That Guy.

This forum needs its own version of ICE to keep people out once they've been banished. A wall would be nice.

The Federales have been notified, here's hoping they act swiftly for once. No Means No. Place is crawling with trolls already.

Old 06-30-2020, 08:16 PM   #80
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

What's wrong with CM42? He should get clemency. Good poster.