The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 06-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

VR Gaming

I could have sworn I made a thread about this already but I couldn't find it, so... I guess not?

Figured I'd start a thread to see who's been playing what in VR and what their thoughts are on it. (As well as, inevitably, comments from the crowd that just hates VR )

I finally got around to picking up Resident Evil Biohazard on PSVR. Wow. Honestly, it's the most immersive and fine tuned VR experience I've had to date. Yes, it definitely helps that its a full fledged game and yes, its a AAA developer behind the wheel. I'm picking up Farpoint after work tonight. Looking forward to seeing how the Aim Controller handles. I've heard good things.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I don't think VR will ever really catch on. Too expensive and the market for these games isn't really there.

Plus, you look like a tool standing there in your room with those silly headsets on.

Long live console gaming!!
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:16 PM   #3
sdp
-

Console gaming is dying though, it's all going to switch to a chromecast/roku type device and streamed in the future.

VR will of course catch on, it's indeed too expensive right now but all technology gets cheaper. HTC is releasing a phone/computerless VR headset this fall. That's where things are going. Does it look goofy? Sure but not if you're playing. Selfie sticks are goofy but people actually use them.

VR is a very exciting future technology and the naysayers will eventually be proven wrong. It'll take a while but I think in ten years VR will be as readily available as smartphones today. VR is more than gaming, in fact I have a VR start up called Wear Vear and I'm really excited, not because right now it's the thing but because it will be the thing.

As far as gaming, I really like it, it's really immersive and fun, it has a few problems, for example I actually want to move physically and it's odd to move with a controller and because of space/safety/technology no game will ever let you walk around it unless it's a huge stage designed only for VR, it's also weird when you look down and can't see yourself. But it's awesome and we'll be seeing more of it in down the line.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #4
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Console gaming is dying though, it's all going to switch to a chromecast/roku type device and streamed in the future.

VR will of course catch on, it's indeed too expensive right now but all technology gets cheaper. HTC is releasing a phone/computerless VR headset this fall. That's where things are going. Does it look goofy? Sure but not if you're playing. Selfie sticks are goofy but people actually use them.

VR is a very exciting future technology and the naysayers will eventually be proven wrong. It'll take a while but I think in ten years VR will be as readily available as smartphones today. VR is more than gaming, in fact I have a VR start up called Wear Vear and I'm really excited, not because right now it's the thing but because it will be the thing.

As far as gaming, I really like it, it's really immersive and fun, it has a few problems, for example I actually want to move physically and it's odd to move with a controller and because of space/safety/technology no game will ever let you walk around it unless it's a huge stage designed only for VR, it's also weird when you look down and can't see yourself. But it's awesome and we'll be seeing more of it in down the line.
I bet you thought mobile was taking over console gaming too.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
I bet you thought mobile was taking over console gaming too.
I did, and I was right.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #6
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I did, and I was right.
LMAO! Keep thinking you are.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #7
sdp
-

How am I exactly wrong?
Mobile revenues keep growing and are outdoing console revenues.

Now you use the term take over which I never used, what exactly do you mean by that? That it'll completely eliminate console gaming? Of course not, that's not going to happen for many years but it will. Console gaming is not growing, it's actually shrinking and it'll continue to shrink.

Now I know as a gamer you might want to take this personal, but it's not. It's just business, I have nothing against console gaming, I love it. Will console gaming ever really seize to exist? I doubt it, it'll always be a niche, but it's foolish to imply that I'm wrong when we can see where the trends are going.

VR is not going to "take over" console gaming either, but it'll be something people are going to be using for a lot of things besides gaming. You might not like VR or mobile gaming but that's fine, it doesn't mean that mobile isn't growing and console gaming shrinking.

If you were to ask "will PS VR replace console gaming this gen?" Then yeah the answer is a big no but It's not even something unprecedented to say that console gaming as we know it today is dying. Talk to any analyst, talk to me about it, I get paid for a living for pointing out trends that I see in the market, I'm not an armchair analyst.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:29 PM   #8
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I do VR at my boyfriend's place sometimes. I quite like playing Wayward Sky, and I really think they could do some expansion on first person games.

For one, I think a Myst-type game on VR would be the best.

The biggest problem I have is that the visor makes my head itchy...
Old 06-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #9
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

I love console gaming and hope it never goes away, but... realistically, yeah, it's not going to be around much longer. At least not in the way they're doing it now. And that's not to be misinterpreted as if to say VR will replace it; they're two different animals on two different paths.

VR is exciting right now because it only takes a few moments to realize the potential in it. And there's a lot of legwork to go before VR really begins to find its footing in how to control within it's limitations. But as far as immersion goes, there's no comparison. And as technology only improves, people who have problems with it's resolution and bulky headsets will have their criticisms answered.

Resident Evil was fan-frickin'-tastic, but even I could see the shortcomings it has (like every game does on every console, for that matter).

Give it time. VR isn't going anywhere. It might not figure out what it wants to be for another 10 years or so, but it's here to stay, even if we have to wait through it's growing pains in the foreseeable future.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #10
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

You should check out Star Trek Bridge Crew, Its a VR game where you can play one of 4 positions, it has single player and coop, but its much better in coop.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:39 PM   #11
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I love VR...but I have never used. Not even on smartphones. I'm not purposely avoiding it I just haven't gotten to try it.

It's something I always wanted. Now that it actually exists in a legitimate format makes me very happy.

Naysayers are just trying to be "cool" writing it off as a fad. The technology will only get better and more affordable. Not saying it will fully replace standard gaming but it's finally here to stay.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #12
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
You should check out Star Trek Bridge Crew, Its a VR game where you can play one of 4 positions, it has single player and coop, but its much better in coop.
I'm gonna pick that up next week once the company i have staying over is gone. Can't wait.

I only played around with Farpoint for about 40 minutes but i loved the feel of the PS Aim Controller. Adds a whole new level of immersion.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:39 PM   #13
oldmanwinters
Overlord

A local Wal-mart sells some kinda VR headset for about $17. I've never taken a serious look at the tech, but I'm assuming all VR devices aren't created equal. So how much does the experience vary depending on the quality of the device?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #14
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

The $17 one I have to assume connects to your smartphone, where you then can download different VR apps and try them out.

They're not the same thing as PS VR/Occulus. Neat for the price, sure, but not the same.

As far as the differences go, I've used both Occulus and PSVR and while the Occulus definitely has a cleaner image and stronger processing power, the PSVR isn't a big dip in quality by any means.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #15
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Console gaming definitely isnt dying.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:20 AM   #16
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Console gaming definitely isnt dying.
No, but it'll change greatly in the next coming years. To a point where it won't really be what we consider to be traditional console gaming.

Finally finished Farpoint; loved it! Had a slow start but the second half of the game ramped up the intensity. Had a surprisingly human story too, which I definitely appreciated.

Can't wait for the next game that really utilizes the Aim Controller. Any excuse to use that thing again is a win for me.

I picked up Star Trek Bridge Crew and played about 4 games. Its hilarious fun but I'm having a bit of a hard time wrapping my head around the different positions. Maybe I need to play it more than once every few days for an hour to let it really sink in.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:17 PM   #17
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Can't believe it's almost been a year since the PSVR launch.

Here's my takeaway from the first year:

-There's still a long road ahead, but developers are quickly learning what works and what doesn't work. Hopefully they'll lock down some form of pricing on these things though. Some titles are 1 hour and cost 40 bucks while others are endless, have more content, and 3 bucks.

-I find that VR is my preferred way of gaming. If a game doesn't have VR included, my interest plummet quite a bit.

-That being said, VR gaming is still more of a "thing" to do as opposed to a leisurely gaming night. When I come home exhausted from work, pulling out the table to make space and strapping on a headset isn't exactly what I'd call relaxing. VR isn't for unwinding, basically. It's too immersive to just zone out and relax.

-The Aim Controller is fantastic and every developer working on a VR shooter should be utilizing it.

-The best part of owning one now is introducing it to people. There's just something about watching friends experience it for the first time that's just super satisfying.

-Despite the lack of a must-have exclusive VR title, I still think Year 1 was a strong debut year. There's a ton of great games out there and I'm still excited to see what new experiences the next year brings.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

Never having tried VR before, I've always been fascinated by the concept itself... but I dunno if it can be pulled off well in practice. They tried to do that in the 90s and things such as... the Virtual Boy came out as a result of it. It was too early for such technology to catch on.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:45 PM   #19
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Been putting some time into Skyrim VR lately. I've never played an Elder Scrolls game before. Dear Lord this game is massive...
Old 11-29-2017, 09:07 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

What are some games worth playing on Playstation VR?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote