The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 03-15-2018, 11:11 PM   #1
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

More DC/ Hanna Barberra Crossovers

https://www.newsarama.com/39083-shaz...ver-books.html

"Back from Vietnam, kung-fu master Hong Kong Phooey has set up his own detective agency in the inner city."

BACK FROM VIETNAM

HONG KONG PHOOEY

WHAT

This I gotta see!
Old 03-15-2018, 11:24 PM   #2
sdp
-

I thought this was going to be about that Scooby-Doo crossover comic that's drawn in scooby style with HB and DC hero crossovers in every issue. That was already too much for me but this realistic take on the HB characters in proper DCU even if likely "non-canon" DCU is odd, yet cool.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #3
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I'd take this over the Wrestle Mania crossovers anytime, even if I think Hanna Barbara is not really worth trying to resurrect for a modern audience.

Looking at individual frames without any context...I should really give the Flintstones one a read

Spoiler:

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 03-15-2018 at 11:43 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:43 PM   #4
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

That Black Lightning/Hong Kong Phooey solicit text makes me think this is going to be some 70's kung-fu and blaxsploitation mash-up stuff and I'm kind of looking forward to seeing what madness lies down that road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I thought this was going to be about that Scooby-Doo crossover comic that's drawn in scooby style with HB and DC hero crossovers in every issue. That was already too much for me but this realistic take on the HB characters in proper DCU even if likely "non-canon" DCU is odd, yet cool.
I'm expecting some really wacky stuff out of this, if the Looney Tunes/DC crossovers they did recently are any indication, and I am so here for all of it, you don't even know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I'd take this over the Wrestle Mania crossovers anytime, even if I think Hanna Barbara is not really worth trying to resurrect for a modern audience.

(But man, I'll never get over how funny this is)
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/.../a24.jpg_large
I still haven't seen the Scooby-Doo/WWE crossover yet and I feel like I've failed myself.

Apparently, the Hanna Barbara comics they've been putting out the past couple of years have been surprisingly good. I know, I was shocked too. I've been meaning to read most of them. Flintstones is apparently top shelf satire and Future Quest was apparently really good.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:46 PM   #5
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Oh yes, I've noticed that going through the individual frames.

And I saw someone suggest that it's something of a post-Vietnam analogue on Know Your Meme

Quote:
From seeing other panels… this comic has a vietnam analogue from the looks of it.

So maybe they are not trying to create a ‘flintstones’ comic, and just using flintstones as a metaphor of the mythical “good old days” of the 1960’s America where “everything made sense”. Thus, the comic focuses on the dark undercurrents that were going on and progressing under the rose tinted glasses.

TL;DR- It might be an artsy and extended “Petridge Farm Remembers”.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:09 AM   #6
sdp
-

I forgot about those gritty remakes of Hanna-Barbera characters, they all looked so awful, but they were good?

I also disagree that there's no resurrecting these old properties, they can be just not for an adult audience. It boggles my mind why we haven't gotten a kids CG Flintstones movie, that seems way more appealing and content to work on than say the Smurfs who somehow got 3 movies out of it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:20 AM   #7
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I think that after how badly the John Goodman movies went, no one wants to try touching it again.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:45 AM   #8
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I forgot about those gritty remakes of Hanna-Barbera characters, they all looked so awful, but they were good?
Apparently, yeah. Scooby Apocalypse, stupid premise aside, was the one I was sure would at least be good, because it reunited Keith Giffen and JM DeMattias, who haven't written a dud together that I've ever read even in recent times. Future Quest was apparently a really fun crossover of the more superheroic and adventure characters of the line. Flintstones was a critically acclaimed satire. Wacky Raceland is the one I heard the least about of the four, but I remember people liked it just fine, it simply didn't stand out among the others.

Quote:
And I saw someone suggest that it's something of a post-Vietnam analogue on Know Your Meme
From the pages, panels and reviews I've read of the Flintstones comic, that quote seems like an amazingly apt summation.

Quote:
I think that after how badly the John Goodman movies went, no one wants to try touching it again.
I think it's a bit less that and more that we're so far removed from the Honeymooners and the series heyday that not only is the joke/comparison sort of lost but its cache is diminished. Which doesn't mean they couldn't try something. But they'd probably have to reinvent it, especially if they're not doing it for just kids. Maybe something in line with what the comics tried, I don't know. I'm not sure simple animated not-Jackie Gleason antics would really resonate with anyone the way they did back in the day. Especially since back then, the Flintstones were a pioneer in making an animated sitcom, while now that isn't particularly special or remarkable.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:58 AM   #9
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I remember my mom one saying that it was basically the Simpsons of its time.

Which didn't make much sense to me when I heard her say it because it's so squeaky clean in comparison. Which should come from the nature of the time period it was made in, of course.

From what I can think of, the most I ever saw of it was a VHS that had an episode or two. And of those, I only remember one where Fred was jealous of Wilma hanging out with her ex-boyfriend for a day.

Which of course meant dressing Barney in drag and following her to where they were having dinner.