The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2018, 06:36 PM   #21
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 7,420
Do we have an issue for the start of Grant Morrison's involvement yet?
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:39 PM   #22
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Black Order Initiate
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,944
I've got a question for the various GL fans... chief among them on here, no doubt is Andrew:

What's the breakdown on all the main Green Lanterns? What's each one's schtick or point of interest? I know all the names, but none of what makes them different from each other and why and how they took up the ring.

Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Kyle Rayner, Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz... I think Alan Scott, way in the beginning before Hal? Did I miss any of them?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Technodrome Member: Whys CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy running?

Technodrome Moderator: Because we have to chase him.

Technodrome Member: He didnt do anything wrong.

Technodrome Moderator: Because hes the hero Technodrome Forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So well hunt him because he can take it. Because hes not our hero. Hes a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:56 AM   #23
Avenger
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Matane, Quebec
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I've got a question for the various GL fans... chief among them on here, no doubt is Andrew:

What's the breakdown on all the main Green Lanterns? What's each one's schtick or point of interest? I know all the names, but none of what makes them different from each other and why and how they took up the ring.

Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Kyle Rayner, Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz... I think Alan Scott, way in the beginning before Hal? Did I miss any of them?
Hal Jordan: Pilot driver. Tend to go head first. Has trouble with autority
Guy Gardner: Ex-cop. Hot temper but strong will. Sometimes he reminds me of Logan in Marvel
John Stewart: Ex-military & architect. Constructs seems more efficient/solid due to his architect background.
Kyle Raynor: Artist. More imaginative constructs.
Simon Baz: Lebanese-American. Was (unfairly) accused of terrorism when he first became a lantern. Didn't read much about him.
Jessica Cruz: Didn't reach much about her.
Allan Scott: He was the "first" green lantern, but he's not connected with the GLC. His powers are coming from magic (and not big green battery on OA)

So if you like more colorful/hot temper, go with Hal & Guy.
If you like more calm/thinking before acting, go with John & Kyle.
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #24
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Black Order Initiate
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
Hal Jordan: Pilot driver. Tend to go head first. Has trouble with autority
Guy Gardner: Ex-cop. Hot temper but strong will. Sometimes he reminds me of Logan in Marvel
John Stewart: Ex-military & architect. Constructs seems more efficient/solid due to his architect background.
Kyle Raynor: Artist. More imaginative constructs.
Simon Baz: Lebanese-American. Was (unfairly) accused of terrorism when he first became a lantern. Didn't read much about him.
Jessica Cruz: Didn't reach much about her.
Allan Scott: He was the "first" green lantern, but he's not connected with the GLC. His powers are coming from magic (and not big green battery on OA)

So if you like more colorful/hot temper, go with Hal & Guy.
If you like more calm/thinking before acting, go with John & Kyle.
Thanks dude! So, who do you prefer?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Technodrome Member: Whys CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy running?

Technodrome Moderator: Because we have to chase him.

Technodrome Member: He didnt do anything wrong.

Technodrome Moderator: Because hes the hero Technodrome Forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So well hunt him because he can take it. Because hes not our hero. Hes a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 13,704
Hal Jordan: Most of what you've read about him is a lie. He's not a lady's man... for decades he basically went from one monogamous relationship to another, and he pined, whined and cried over all of them -- I know, I own them all. Also a pedo, who banged a twelve year-old girl who used a GL ring to make her body (not her mind) advance into adulthood. Geoff says Hal just makes boxing gloves and simple constructs because he just "does what needs to be done" and that's basically true. When Geoff came on he basically went down a long list of things he didn't like in Hal's past and one by one, retconned things to make him basically Maverick in Top Gun, which he never was, and with a penchant for acting "cool" and punching people a lot. He doesn't really have much character, when it comes down to it, and is sort of a blank slate. He was at his most interesting when he was a villain, a Dr. Doom-like character as Parallax, before Geoff retconned it to be a space fear parasite and Hal to be a great, upstanding (and boring) guy again.

Guy Gardner: Basically loveable brute with a heart of gold. He always charges in, does stupid things but he always endears himself. He's the first GL to wear a yellow ring (Sinestro's after he died, and long, long before Geoff made "the Sinestro Corps") and was wearing a Red one for a few years, basically leading the Red Lantern Corps. Now I have no idea what they're doing with him. They seem to like to completely change his powers every few years. Being an "ex cop" is a new thing, when Geoff junked his whole backstory of being a high school coach that no one was even complaining about. I used to dislike him but he grew on me over the years.

John Stewart: Former architect and civil rights activist. His Marine military stuff was grafted on only a few years ago by Geoff "The Hackman" Johns because of what the old cartoon did with him, but it seems to be the only thing morons want to talk about nowadays. There's a ton more to him than that. He's the "straight man" to all the other GLs. He also became a Guardian once when he ate his own ring during "Mosaic." Every writer seems to write him completely differently and no one has a good handle on his character. Mostly writers just like to write him crying about how Xanshi got destroyed on his watch during "The Cosmic Odyssey."

Kyle Rayner: Funny, creative, and all around most human GL. He's an everyman who likes to draw and date a lot of women. For 11 years (in our time) he was the ONLY Green Lantern and carried the torch solo. He also resurrected Hal Jordan, resurrected all of the Guardians, and restored the Central Power Battery, and restored Oa after Hal killed himself, made the Guardians kill themselves, and destroyed Oa. Best GL in my book by far. Grant Morrison did a lot with him in JLA in the late 90s, so I can't wait to see what Morrison is about to do in GL when he takes over shortly. He likes to smack around bad guys with anime stuff and giant mechs. He thrives on Earth but the past ten years, writers keep throwing him in big ensemble casts in deep space... which is weird. Most recently he stole Hal's girlfriend, Carol Ferris, which makes sense because Hal is a chump.

Alan Scott: He's been around since WWII. Starheart (magic-based) powers. Was a mentor to Kyle and like the dad he never had. Family man with a wife, a son (Obsidian) and a daughter (Jade), he even gave Kyle his blessing to date Jade. Pretty cool guy. Then "Flashpoint" happened and Alan's back on Earth-2, now gay, with no children or wife (obviously). I think the idea is to reintroduce the JSA and the proper Alan Scott within the 8 year-long event with the Watchmen or whatever.

Simon Baz: Geoff Johns SJW construct #1.

Jessica Cruz: Geoff Johns SJW construct #2.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 06-14-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:02 AM   #26
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Black Order Initiate
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Spoiler:
Hal Jordan: Most of what you've read about him is a lie. He's not a lady's man... for decades he basically went from one monogamous relationship to another, and he pined, whined and cried over all of them -- I know, I own them all. Also a pedo, who banged a twelve year-old girl who used a GL ring to make her body (not her mind) advance into adulthood. Geoff says Hal just makes boxing gloves and simple constructs because he just "does what needs to be done" and that's basically true. When Geoff came on he basically went down a long list of things he didn't like in Hal's past and one by one, retconned things to make him basically Maverick in Top Gun, which he never was, and with a penchant for acting "cool" and punching people a lot. He doesn't really have much character, when it comes down to it, and is sort of a blank slate. He was at his most interesting when he was a villain, a Dr. Doom-like character as Parallax, before Geoff retconned it to be a space fear parasite and Hal to be a great, upstanding (and boring) guy again.

Guy Gardner: Basically loveable brute with a heart of gold. He always charges in, does stupid things but he always endears himself. He's the first GL to wear a yellow ring (Sinestro's after he died, and long, long before Geoff made "the Sinestro Corps") and was wearing a Red one for a few years, basically leading the Red Lantern Corps. Now I have no idea what they're doing with him. They seem to like to completely change his powers every few years. Being an "ex cop" is a new thing, when Geoff junked his whole backstory of being a high school coach that no one was even complaining about. I used to dislike him but he grew on me over the years.

John Stewart: Former architect and civil rights activist. His Marine military stuff was grafted on only a few years about by Geoff "The Hackman" Johns because of what the old cartoon did with him, but it seems to be the only thing morons want to talk about nowadays. There's a ton more to him than that. He's the "straight man" to all the other GLs. He also became a Guardian once when he ate his own ring during "Mosaic." Every writer seems to write him completely differently and no one has a good handle on his character. Mostly writers just like to write him crying about how Xanshi got destroyed on his watch during "The Cosmic Odyssey."

Kyle Rayner: Funny, creative, and all around most human GL. He's an everyman who likes to draw and date a lot of women. For 11 years (in our time) he was the ONLY Green Lantern and carried the torch solo. He also resurrected Hal Jordan, resurrected all of the Guardians, and restored the Central Power Battery, and restored Oa after Hal killed himself, made the Guardians kill themselves, and destroyed Oa. Best GL in my book by far. Grant Morrison did a lot with him in JLA in the late 90s, so I can't wait to see what Morrison is about to do in GL when he takes over shortly. He likes to smack around bad guys with anime stuff and giant mechs.

Alan Scott: He's been around since WWII. Starheart (magic-based) powers. Was a mentor to Kyle and like the dad he never had. Family man with a wife, a son (Obsidian) and a daughter (Jade), he even gave Kyle his blessing to date Jade. Pretty cool guy. Then "Flashpoint" happened and Alan's back on Earth-2, now gay, with no children or wife (obviously). I think the idea is to reintroduce the JSA and the proper Alan Scott within the 8 year-long event with the Watchmen or whatever.

Simon Baz: Geoff Johns SJW construct #1.

Jessica Cruz: Geoff Johns SJW construct #2.
How long was Hal Jordan Parallax? Which Green Lanterns was he in conflict with at the time?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Technodrome Member: Whys CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy running?

Technodrome Moderator: Because we have to chase him.

Technodrome Member: He didnt do anything wrong.

Technodrome Moderator: Because hes the hero Technodrome Forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So well hunt him because he can take it. Because hes not our hero. Hes a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 13,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
How long was Hal Jordan Parallax? Which Green Lanterns was he in conflict with at the time?
Just a couple of years, really. In 1994 when Cyborg Superman and Mongul nuked Coast City he tried to use his ring to resurrect everybody there and rebuild it... but the Guardians stopped him and ordered him to report to Oa for punishment. So he went to Oa to get the power he needed, fought his way through many GLs, and in their last ditch effort to stop him, the Guardians committed mass suicide except for Ganthet. So he entered the Central Power Battery, absorbing all of its power and taking the name "Parallax"... which simultaneously deactivated the rings of all other 3,599 Green Lanterns. He remained Parallax until 1996's "The Final Night," when he showed up to save the world from the Sun-Eater, sacrificing his life even as a villain.

So to answer your question... he was in conflict with no Green Lanterns, because there were no Green Lanterns at that time. Just Kyle, whom Ganthet found in a panic and gave a ring (powered separately from the CPB) to in an alley. There was a lot of talk about GLs dying in space when Hal blew up the Central Power Battery but there was never any actual evidence of that... pretty much all of them were accounted for and alive when the Central Power Battery and GL Corps was restored in "Green Lantern Corps: Recharge" in 2005.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #28
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Black Order Initiate
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Just a couple of years, really. In 1994 when Cyborg Superman and Mongul nuked Coast City he tried to use his ring to resurrect everybody there and rebuild it... but the Guardians stopped him and ordered him to report to Oa for punishment. So he went to Oa to get the power he needed, fought his way through many GLs, and in their last ditch effort to stop him, the Guardians committed mass suicide except for Ganthet. So he entered the Central Power Battery, absorbing all of its power and taking the name "Parallax"... which simultaneously deactivated the rings of all other 3,599 Green Lanterns. He remained Parallax until 1996's "The Final Night," when he showed up to save the world from the Sun-Eater, sacrificing his life even as a villain.

So to answer your question... he was in conflict with no Green Lanterns, because there were no Green Lanterns at that time. Just Kyle, whom Ganthet found in a panic and gave a ring (powered separately from the CPB) to in an alley. There was a lot of talk about GLs dying in space when Hal blew up the Central Power Battery but there was never any actual evidence of that... pretty much all of them were accounted for and alive when the Central Power Battery and GL Corps was restored in "Green Lantern Corps: Recharge" in 2005.
That's pretty awesome... no chance of that in a movie, though, is there?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Technodrome Member: Whys CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy running?

Technodrome Moderator: Because we have to chase him.

Technodrome Member: He didnt do anything wrong.

Technodrome Moderator: Because hes the hero Technodrome Forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So well hunt him because he can take it. Because hes not our hero. Hes a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #29
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 13,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
That's pretty awesome... no chance of that in a movie, though, is there?
It would take a whole lot of setup. Like, one Green Lantern movie to establish everything, then there'd need to be a Superman movie where the Coast City stuff happens, then another Green Lantern movie where Hal deals with that aftermath of that, becomes Parallax, etc.. Would never happen with the current minds.

Though Hal becoming Parallax almost did. The first drafts of the 2011 movie all had Hal becoming superpowered by entering the Central Power Battery at the end, and then noticing the temples of his hair turned white at the end (white temples was retroactively a sign of possession by Parallax in the comics). You can guess who nixed that.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:44 AM   #30
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Black Order Initiate
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It would take a whole lot of setup. Like, one Green Lantern movie to establish everything, then there'd need to be a Superman movie where the Coast City stuff happens, then another Green Lantern movie where Hal deals with that aftermath of that, becomes Parallax, etc.. Would never happen with the current minds.

Though Hal becoming Parallax almost did. The first drafts of the 2011 movie all had Hal becoming superpowered by entering the Central Power Battery at the end, and then noticing the temples of his hair turned white at the end (white temples was retroactively a sign of possession by Parallax). You can guess who nixed that.
Aw man, too bad. Geoff Johns strikes again, I assume?

So, Andrew... who do you fault for the Green Lantern movie's problems? When I saw it, it wasn't terrible... not great, but definitely on par with some of the average MCU movies.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Technodrome Member: Whys CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy running?

Technodrome Moderator: Because we have to chase him.

Technodrome Member: He didnt do anything wrong.

Technodrome Moderator: Because hes the hero Technodrome Forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So well hunt him because he can take it. Because hes not our hero. Hes a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 13,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
So, Andrew... who do you fault for the Green Lantern movie's problems? When I saw it, it wasn't terrible... not great, but definitely on par with some of the average MCU movies.
First of all, I didn't hugely dislike the movie. I mostly take umbrage as a Kyle fan that they literally gave Hal Kyle's whole personality while simultaneously doing both Krona AND Parallax ridiculously wrong.

Here is Krona:



And here is Parallax:



But they give us a midget (which Geoff made sure and retcon to emulate in the comics at the same time) and a space cloud. And then they merged them together in the first five minutes, lol

OK, but beyond that, not a bad movie. Sinestro was perfect. Kilowog was perfect. Oa was great. Hector Hammond was pretty solid. GL costumes were fine by me. The way the powers looked seemed sound.

So yeah. Not a great movie but hardly deserving anywhere near the level of hate it got. At some point it just became trendy to hate on it, like, "I hope this movie isn't as bad as the Green Lantern movie! LOL!!!" A second film could have adequately course corrected things and even dovetailed nicely with "Man of Steel."

I generally don't assign Geoff much fault in this, though the finger can definitely be pointed at him as he had full veto power and was on set everyday. Mostly it seemed like a movie with an engine of people that didn't understand Green Lantern, and Geoff on the outside mostly trying to do what little he could at that point to sort of guide the ship correctly... while shoveling his own sh**.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #32
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Black Order Initiate
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,944
So who was the main guy or guys behind the Green Lantern comics before Geoff Johns became involved?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Technodrome Member: Whys CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy running?

Technodrome Moderator: Because we have to chase him.

Technodrome Member: He didnt do anything wrong.

Technodrome Moderator: Because hes the hero Technodrome Forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So well hunt him because he can take it. Because hes not our hero. Hes a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #33
Avenger
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Matane, Quebec
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Just a couple of years, really. In 1994 when Cyborg Superman and Mongul nuked Coast City he tried to use his ring to resurrect everybody there and rebuild it... but the Guardians stopped him and ordered him to report to Oa for punishment. So he went to Oa to get the power he needed, fought his way through many GLs, and in their last ditch effort to stop him, the Guardians committed mass suicide except for Ganthet. So he entered the Central Power Battery, absorbing all of its power and taking the name "Parallax"... which simultaneously deactivated the rings of all other 3,599 Green Lanterns. He remained Parallax until 1996's "The Final Night," when he showed up to save the world from the Sun-Eater, sacrificing his life even as a villain.

So to answer your question... he was in conflict with no Green Lanterns, because there were no Green Lanterns at that time. Just Kyle, whom Ganthet found in a panic and gave a ring (powered separately from the CPB) to in an alley. There was a lot of talk about GLs dying in space when Hal blew up the Central Power Battery but there was never any actual evidence of that... pretty much all of them were accounted for and alive when the Central Power Battery and GL Corps was restored in "Green Lantern Corps: Recharge" in 2005.
It makes me think... I just read the Third Army event yesterday, and there is one part, when Kyle is working to master all 7 colors, where we saw the first meeting between Kyle and Ganthet, and the first visit of Kyle on Oa (with the meeting of Sayd). Funny thing, it happened "2 years ago"...

So basically everything that happened between Hal Jordan/Parallax and the Third Army event (All Kyle's adventures as GL, GL rebirth, Sinestro Corp War, Blackest Night, the Krona thing) happened in a period of 2 years.

I think Tony Bedard just screw up on that one. (the author of New Gardians title)
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #34
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Black Order Initiate
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
It makes me think... I just read the Third Army event yesterday, and there is one part, when Kyle is working to master all 7 colors, where we saw the first meeting between Kyle and Ganthet, and the first visit of Kyle on Oa (with the meeting of Sayd). Funny thing, it happened "2 years ago"...

So basically everything that happened between Hal Jordan/Parallax and the Third Army event (All Kyle's adventures as GL, GL rebirth, Sinestro Corp War, Blackest Night, the Krona thing) happened in a period of 2 years.

I think Tony Bedard just screw up on that one. (the author of New Gardians title)
The New 52 tried to retroactively keep most of the Batman and Green Lantern continuities, while also compressing them into an impossible "five years since the origins" timeline.

Just ignore the "X years ago" bit.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Technodrome Member: Whys CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy running?

Technodrome Moderator: Because we have to chase him.

Technodrome Member: He didnt do anything wrong.

Technodrome Moderator: Because hes the hero Technodrome Forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So well hunt him because he can take it. Because hes not our hero. Hes a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 13,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
So who was the main guy or guys behind the Green Lantern comics before Geoff Johns became involved?
Judd Winick had a big run on Green Lantern before Geoff seeped in. Ben Raab for a little bit. Ron Marz before that.

In the heyday of Green Lantern, it was guys like Gil Kane, Dennis O'Neil, Len Wein, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Paul Kupperberg, Gerard Jones.

But it wasn't like it is now. There is never like, one writer who rules over GL. You'd get a writer with a respectable 2, 3 year-run overseen by an editor, and that's that. Now it's like... Geoff Johns overseeing everything, writers afraid to even speak his name in any way but overly complimentarily.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #36
Avenger
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Matane, Quebec
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
First of all, I didn't hugely dislike the movie. I mostly take umbrage as a Kyle fan that they literally gave Hal Kyle's whole personality while simultaneously doing both Krona AND Parallax ridiculously wrong.

Here is Krona:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...KronaJLAZ2.png

And here is Parallax:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ax_rebirth.jpg

But they give us a midget (which Geoff made sure and retcon to emulate in the comics at the same time) and a space cloud. And then they merged them together in the first five minutes, lol

OK, but beyond that, not a bad movie. Sinestro was perfect. Kilowog was perfect. Oa was great. Hector Hammond was pretty solid. GL costumes were fine by me. The way the powers looked seemed sound.

So yeah. Not a great movie but hardly deserving anywhere near the level of hate it got. At some point it just became trendy to hate on it, like, "I hope this movie isn't as bad as the Green Lantern movie! LOL!!!" A second film could have adequately course corrected things and even dovetailed nicely with "Man of Steel."

I generally don't assign Geoff much fault in this, though the finger can definitely be pointed at him as he had full veto power and was on set everyday. Mostly it seemed like a movie with an engine of people that didn't understand Green Lantern, and Geoff on the outside mostly trying to do what little he could at that point to sort of guide the ship correctly... while shoveling his own sh**.
He seems to be the new writer for the next GLC movie. It should be about an experienced Hal Jordan and a rookie John Stewart.

I would like the movie to be about the Green Lantern CORP. It would be fun to let a good place to Salaak, Kilowog, Gardner, Rayner, Sinestro. Hal Jordan in a good character but not THAT interesting. I never got why he's always the center of everything in GL. I do not hate him, but I like to see GL as a team title, and not just "Hal Jordan and his sidekicks".
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:09 PM   #37
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 7,420
What I always wanted to know is why did editorial think it was a good idea for Hal Jordan to lose the city he protects and thus turn into a mass murdering psycho trying to make emerald constructs of everything and everyone in the city? It does not seem like something Hal would do parallax or not. This cannot be a simple sales gimmick.

Also, I recently uncovered that Hal Jordan protected Evergreen City for a couple of years in the late 60s'. Did Hal just get a new job in a new city and Green Lantern conveniently relocated with Hal? This however, I can see being a sales gimmick.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #38
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy
 
TurtleTitan97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Speed Force
Posts: 6,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
What I always wanted to know is why did editorial think it was a good idea for Hal Jordan to lose the city he protects and thus turn into a mass murdering psycho trying to make emerald constructs of everything and everyone in the city? It does not seem like something Hal would do parallax or not. This cannot be a simple sales gimmick.
Well, this is the 90's we're talking about. Almost everything back then had to be X-TREME!!!
__________________



TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 13,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
What I always wanted to know is why did editorial think it was a good idea for Hal Jordan to lose the city he protects and thus turn into a mass murdering psycho trying to make emerald constructs of everything and everyone in the city? It does not seem like something Hal would do parallax or not. This cannot be a simple sales gimmick.
Nobody cared about Green Lantern before that story. It was about to be cancelled again when they did that story.

Quote:
Also, I recently uncovered that Hal Jordan protected Evergreen City for a couple of years in the late 60s'. Did Hal just get a new job in a new city and Green Lantern conveniently relocated with Hal? This however, I can see being a sales gimmick.
Hal Jordan got a lot of horrible jobs. Truck driver, salesman, etc.. There really weren't many "sales gimmicks" in the 60s, that was just the kind of stories there were.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:03 PM   #40
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 7,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Nobody cared about Green Lantern before that story. It was about to be cancelled again when they did that story.
Its hard to believe. I always saw Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Flash as the secondary trinity. Granted Aquaman's limitations keep him from having a solid ongoing title, Hal Jordan and Barry Allen did. At least, I never thought Hal would be hurting in sales so much as unpopular as a character just stale directions. It's just a Superman villain blows up Green Lantern's home and he becomes a mass murderer killing Green Lanterns and Guardians? Its just too much. Not much respect for a JLA founder who had been a big part of the comic line for 35 years. So 90s extreme, no respect for characters, temporary sales peak is the answer to the Emerald Twilight debacle? Its all fixed now, its just the 1994 event seems drastic. Perhaps as soon as this happened people wanted Hal Jordan back and lead to the revival a decade later?

Quote:
Hal Jordan got a lot of horrible jobs. Truck driver, salesman, etc.. There really weren't many "sales gimmicks" in the 60s, that was just the kind of stories there were.
Yes, a lot of fans think he was always a test pilot for Ferris Air, but from around 1968 to 1980 that was not the case. The whole GA/GL do America was made possible due to Hal's truck driver occupation. I can see it as a way to freshen up the character, but like the general public or casual fans know Hal is tied to Ferris air. A lot of obscure stuff like Itty the alien starfish friend of Hal. I have read some of the comics from 1979-1981 and its a pretty solid run, earth-based enemies like Sonar, Evil Star, and Shark all plague Hal while at Ferris and rekindling a relationship with Carol after a brief romance with a gypsy.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.